router problem

I have two xp pro machines with two licensed call of duty games. I want
to be able to connect through my network/router and broadband setup to
the same multiplayer game. It will only allow seperate games to be
accessed on the game spy server but not 'the same' game? Is this a port
forwarding problem or a restriction based on the fact they share my
routers ip address for an internet connection? Will port fowarding allow
one of my machines to appear as a different ip?

if so how is this achieved in a Lan cafe when playing across the net??

cheers for any help.

Dee

paranoid-android wrote:

> I have two xp pro machines with two licensed call of duty games. I want
> to be able to connect through my network/router and broadband setup to
> the same multiplayer game. It will only allow seperate games to be
> accessed on the game spy server but not 'the same' game? Is this a port
> forwarding problem or a restriction based on the fact they share my
> routers ip address for an internet connection? Will port fowarding allow
> one of my machines to appear as a different ip?
>
> if so how is this achieved in a Lan cafe when playing across the net??
>
> cheers for any help.

This is probably a question that should be direct at the Tech Support of
the software. They should be knowledgeable enough to respond
intelligently to your question.

paranoid-android wrote:

> I have two xp pro machines with two licensed call of duty games. I want
> to be able to connect through my network/router and broadband setup to
> the same multiplayer game. It will only allow seperate games to be
> accessed on the game spy server but not 'the same' game? Is this a port
> forwarding problem or a restriction based on the fact they share my
> routers ip address for an internet connection?

As far as the server on the other side of your internet connection is
concerned, both computers are the same machine. That's how NAT works, and
what makes it work on a single IP.

NAT is a foolie. Your internet IP is 'one' computer but NAT, in your
router, decides to fool the outside world by remembering who on you LAN
made the request, changing the 'sender' to your internet IP (LAN addresses
are invalid on the internet), and then routing the reply back to who on
your LAN asked for it when the other end answers back to the internet IP.

To the outside world they're all the same.

> Will port fowarding allow
> one of my machines to appear as a different ip?

I don't see how. The remote server has no idea what's being forwarded to
who on your end. It just looks like 'one' computer making requests and if
you set your end up to use different ports for each computer it still looks
like one computer to the server, except it's making requests to two
different ports.

If *they* allow one machine to run two sessions to the same game then it
would work, but that's on their end and not something you can change.

Ask *them* if it can be done, and how.

> if so how is this achieved in a Lan cafe when playing across the net??

They probably have multiple IPs.

> cheers for any help.

>> Will port fowarding allow one of my machines to appear as a different ip?

No, port forwarding allows NAT to forward an incoming request to a
client, instead of just dropping it. ONE client.

>> if so how is this achieved in a Lan cafe when playing across the net??
>

> They probably have multiple IPs.

Yes, some ISPs allow you to simply hook up a switch to your cable modem
and receive multiple IPs. I have Comcast and they do this for thier
home customers - for a few extra $$ a month you get 3 IPs instead of 1.
Now if they gave me full bandwidth for each I might consider it :p

I have a suggestion (apologies if you said it already and I missed it, I
skimmed the thread)... if one of you hosts a game, and that person has
the correct game ports forwarded, you can probably play with both the
other computer on the LAN and the outside world. I'm not sure if your
game lets anyone host.

thanks for the response people.. ill look into it.

I just foun dit strange that i can enter two separate muliplayer games
of call of duty perfectly in gamespy simaltaneously through the one ip
but not the same game?

weird.

gonna contact them

paranoid-android wrote:
> thanks for the response people.. ill look into it.
>
> I just foun dit strange that i can enter two separate muliplayer games
> of call of duty perfectly in gamespy simaltaneously through the one ip
> but not the same game?
>
> weird.
>
> gonna contact them

I think they've done that to prevent cheating...maybe...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/