Boot Menu Delay

In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that if
one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default Normal
Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big thing,
but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that
automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
thingy but I don't know the right command.
9 answers Last reply
More about boot menu delay

    Someone wrote:
    > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that if
    > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
    > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default Normal
    > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
    > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big thing,
    > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
    > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that
    > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
    > thingy but I don't know the right command.

    well brushing off some old DOS commands, you might try CD.. to the root
    directory C:\ and running a DIR from there.

    In Windows if you want to look at system files you have to go to Windows
    Explorer/Tools/FolderOptions/View and UNcheck "hide protected system files"

    Rick

    I'm not opposed to hitting the ENTER button to get off that screen.

    "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here
    > that if one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and
    > opt for the Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for
    > the default Normal Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser
    > number by using file msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find
    > this file. It's no big thing, but it just bugs me that I can't do
    > it. I've tried searching for it; I've tried running it; and I've
    > tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that automatically begins
    > "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS thingy but I don't
    > know the right command.

    It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via Folder
    Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type

    ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS

    You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can alter
    and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,

    BootMenuDelay=3

    Shane

    "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that
    > if
    > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
    > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
    > Normal
    > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
    > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
    > thing,
    > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
    > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
    > that
    > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
    > thingy but I don't know the right command.

    Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:

    Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

    BootMenuDelay=Number
    Default: 30
    Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system will
    pause on the Startup menu.
    If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
    BootMenuDefault is activated.

    NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to the
    [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
    ----

    Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
    Edit the Msdos.sys File".
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
    Folder
    > Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
    >
    > ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
    >
    > You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
    alter
    > and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
    >
    > BootMenuDelay=3
    >
    > Shane
    >

    > "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that
    > > if
    > > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
    > > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
    > > Normal
    > > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
    > > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
    > > thing,
    > > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it;
    I've
    > > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
    > > that
    > > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
    > > thingy but I don't know the right command.

    Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu= entry.
    I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my father to
    hospital.

    Shane

    > Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:
    >
    > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
    >
    > BootMenuDelay=Number
    > Default: 30
    > Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system
    > will
    > pause on the Startup menu.
    > If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
    > BootMenuDefault is activated.
    >
    > NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
    > the
    > [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
    > ----
    >
    > Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
    > Edit the Msdos.sys File".
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
    > Folder
    >> Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
    >>
    >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
    >>
    >> You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
    > alter
    >> and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
    >>
    >> BootMenuDelay=3
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>

    >> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here
    >> > that
    >> > if
    >> > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
    >> > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
    >> > Normal
    >> > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
    >> > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
    >> > thing,
    >> > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it;
    > I've
    >> > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
    >> > that
    >> > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
    >> > thingy but I don't know the right command.

    No need for you to apologize, Shane.
    I do hope all is well for your father.
    Very quick transport to the hospital is extremely critical for those with
    heart attacks or strokes.
    By quick, I mean within one hour of onset of symptoms, to preserve the
    possibility of some effective, modern interventions.

    Hopefully, your father was only getting his ingrown toe nail cut!
    > Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu=
    entry.
    > I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my father to
    > hospital.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:
    > >
    > > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
    > >
    > > BootMenuDelay=Number
    > > Default: 30
    > > Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system
    > > will
    > > pause on the Startup menu.
    > > If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
    > > BootMenuDefault is activated.
    > >
    > > NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
    > > the
    > > [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
    > > ----
    > >
    > > Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
    > > Edit the Msdos.sys File".
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
    > > Folder
    > >> Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
    > >>
    > >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
    > >>
    > >> You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
    > > alter
    > >> and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
    > >>
    > >> BootMenuDelay=3
    > >>
    > >> Shane
    > >>

    > >> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I've
    DOS

    Hope it's not too serious Shane, give him our regards.
    Joan

    > No need for you to apologize, Shane.
    > I do hope all is well for your father.
    > Very quick transport to the hospital is extremely critical for those with
    > heart attacks or strokes.
    > By quick, I mean within one hour of onset of symptoms, to preserve the
    > possibility of some effective, modern interventions.
    >
    > Hopefully, your father was only getting his ingrown toe nail cut!

    Cheers, Jack. No, I'm the one with the toe-nail. Seems to be improving with
    the increased walking I've been doing lately (I inadvertently smashed my
    headlamp lens last Saturday, so I'm temporarily off the road).

    My father's condition was somewhat more serious but he's stable now and
    should be home soon. Thanks for your concern. I wish he'd waited 'til the
    bike was available as it was the perfect day for it and I had to go to
    Cheltenham General on the bus! But there's a spot mid-way where the scent of
    the wild garlic is supercharged into the bus and it almost makes the journey
    bearable!

    Shane

    Thanks Joan. I will. It's serious but treatable if he takes heed.

    Shane

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hope it's not too serious Shane, give him our regards.
    > Joan
    >

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu=
    >> entry. I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my
    >> father to hospital.

Boot Windows