Boot Menu Delay

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 16, 2005 1:20:53 AM

In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that if
one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default Normal
Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big thing,
but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that
automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
thingy but I don't know the right command.

More about : boot menu delay

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:35:39 AM

Someone wrote:
> In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that if
> one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
> Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default Normal
> Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
> msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big thing,
> but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
> tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that
> automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
> thingy but I don't know the right command.

well brushing off some old DOS commands, you might try CD.. to the root
directory C:\ and running a DIR from there.

In Windows if you want to look at system files you have to go to Windows
Explorer/Tools/FolderOptions/View and UNcheck "hide protected system files"

Rick
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:42:40 AM

I'm not opposed to hitting the ENTER button to get off that screen.

"Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here
> that if one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and
> opt for the Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for
> the default Normal Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser
> number by using file msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find
> this file. It's no big thing, but it just bugs me that I can't do
> it. I've tried searching for it; I've tried running it; and I've
> tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy that automatically begins
> "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS thingy but I don't
> know the right command.
Related resources
June 16, 2005 1:33:05 PM

It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via Folder
Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS

You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can alter
and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,

BootMenuDelay=3

Shane

"Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that
> if
> one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
> Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
> Normal
> Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
> msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
> thing,
> but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it; I've
> tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
> that
> automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
> thingy but I don't know the right command.

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:15:42 PM

Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:

Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579

BootMenuDelay=Number
Default: 30
Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system will
pause on the Startup menu.
If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
BootMenuDefault is activated.

NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to the
[Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
----

Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
Edit the Msdos.sys File".
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
Folder
> Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
>
> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
>
> You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
alter
> and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
>
> BootMenuDelay=3
>
> Shane
>

> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here that
> > if
> > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
> > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
> > Normal
> > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
> > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
> > thing,
> > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it;
I've
> > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
> > that
> > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
> > thingy but I don't know the right command.

June 17, 2005 12:06:13 PM

Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu= entry.
I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my father to
hospital.

Shane

> Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:
>
> Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
>
> BootMenuDelay=Number
> Default: 30
> Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system
> will
> pause on the Startup menu.
> If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
> BootMenuDefault is activated.
>
> NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
> the
> [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
> ----
>
> Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
> Edit the Msdos.sys File".
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
> Folder
>> Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
>>
>> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
>>
>> You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
> alter
>> and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
>>
>> BootMenuDelay=3
>>
>> Shane
>>

>> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > In another thread recently it was stated by one of the experts here
>> > that
>> > if
>> > one uses system configuration in Windows ME (MSCONFIG), and opt for the
>> > Advanced feature of a boot menu, the boot menu delay for the default
>> > Normal
>> > Mode can be changed from 30 seconds to a lesser number by using file
>> > msdos.sys. I've tried unsuccessfully to find this file. It's no big
>> > thing,
>> > but it just bugs me that I can't do it. I've tried searching for it;
> I've
>> > tried running it; and I've tried typing .sys in the ME fake DOS thingy
>> > that
>> > automatically begins "C:\Windows\. I think the answer lies in the DOS
>> > thingy but I don't know the right command.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:11:59 PM

No need for you to apologize, Shane.
I do hope all is well for your father.
Very quick transport to the hospital is extremely critical for those with
heart attacks or strokes.
By quick, I mean within one hour of onset of symptoms, to preserve the
possibility of some effective, modern interventions.

Hopefully, your father was only getting his ingrown toe nail cut!
news:o 11iKswcFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu=
entry.
> I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my father to
> hospital.
>

> Shane
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Following up Shane, all you need to know is in KB 118579, Someone:
> >
> > Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;118579
> >
> > BootMenuDelay=Number
> > Default: 30
> > Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system
> > will
> > pause on the Startup menu.
> > If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the
> > BootMenuDefault is activated.
> >
> > NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
> > the
> > [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
> > ----
> >
> > Please also read the section near the end of the article, titled "How to
> > Edit the Msdos.sys File".
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> It's a hidden file, so you have to enable viewing of hidden files via
> > Folder
> >> Options. Alternatively in the fake DOS thingey you can type
> >>
> >> ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\MSDOS.SYS
> >>
> >> You appreciate, presumably, that there is no 30 second setting you can
> > alter
> >> and you have to add a line, to wit, for example,
> >>
> >> BootMenuDelay=3
> >>
> >> Shane
> >>

> >> "Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I've
DOS

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:57:56 PM

Hope it's not too serious Shane, give him our regards.
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Thanks Jack, I wondered about the functionality without the BootMenu=
> entry. I would have looked into it further but instead had to get my
> father to hospital.

June 19, 2005 2:47:25 AM

> No need for you to apologize, Shane.
> I do hope all is well for your father.
> Very quick transport to the hospital is extremely critical for those with
> heart attacks or strokes.
> By quick, I mean within one hour of onset of symptoms, to preserve the
> possibility of some effective, modern interventions.
>
> Hopefully, your father was only getting his ingrown toe nail cut!

Cheers, Jack. No, I'm the one with the toe-nail. Seems to be improving with
the increased walking I've been doing lately (I inadvertently smashed my
headlamp lens last Saturday, so I'm temporarily off the road).

My father's condition was somewhat more serious but he's stable now and
should be home soon. Thanks for your concern. I wish he'd waited 'til the
bike was available as it was the perfect day for it and I had to go to
Cheltenham General on the bus! But there's a spot mid-way where the scent of
the wild garlic is supercharged into the bus and it almost makes the journey
bearable!

Shane
June 19, 2005 2:48:16 AM

Thanks Joan. I will. It's serious but treatable if he takes heed.

Shane

news:o pqKuwzcFHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!