Electronically label a floppy disk

I am using Windows ME and MS Office 2000. For an exam I have to
"electronically label a floppy disk" with my name. The only thing I can
think of doing is creating a folder on the disk with my name on it, but I
don't think that is what the examiner means.

Does it mean that when it is opened, it shows my name on the drive instead
of A:

If so, how do I achieve this?

Thanks in advance for your urgent assistance.
2 answers Last reply
More about electronically label floppy disk

    You can use the floppy disk's "Volume Label", which permits 11 characters.
    It is an option of the Windows "format" command, or may be done under DOS,
    using the "label" command.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Trish" <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am using Windows ME and MS Office 2000. For an exam I have to
    > "electronically label a floppy disk" with my name. The only thing I can
    > think of doing is creating a folder on the disk with my name on it, but I
    > don't think that is what the examiner means.
    >
    > Does it mean that when it is opened, it shows my name on the drive instead
    > of A:
    >
    > If so, how do I achieve this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your urgent assistance.

    Trish,

    There are a number of ways you can label a floppy disk and one is to use
    the DOS Label command. Perhaps the easiest way to do this running Win Me
    is to use Windows Explorer, and with the floppy in the drive:
    a) If not formatted already, right click on the drive letter, select
    FORMAT, check either to perform a quick or full format (if the disk is new
    it will have to be a full format) and to enter the required label in the
    label box remembering to use underscore _ where you want to use a space.
    The maximum length of the label is 11 characters, or, if already
    formatted,
    b) Right click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer, select Properties,
    and enter the required label in the label box on the General tab and the
    click Apply.

    Method b) can be also used to label the hard drives on your PC.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Trish <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I am using Windows ME and MS Office 2000. For an exam I have to
    > "electronically label a floppy disk" with my name. The only thing I
    > can think of doing is creating a folder on the disk with my name on
    > it, but I don't think that is what the examiner means.
    >
    > Does it mean that when it is opened, it shows my name on the drive
    > instead of A:
    >
    > If so, how do I achieve this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your urgent assistance.

Windows Me Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows