Word Pad vs Note Pad

Sandy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002

Are these programs synonymous. If so, why am I unable to retrieve info that
has been sent to me that requires Note Pad to read it. I discovered this
problem when I tried to access the License Agreement from a download I ran a
few months back and got the message "unable to find Note Pad". The License
Agreement contains key registry info I need in order to access the
manufactures on line assistance.

> Are these programs synonymous.

No. Notepad is a simple ascii (plain text) editor limited to working with
files no larger than 64KB. WordPad can work with any file created using
notepad but can also handle larger files as well as use what is called
rich text which is a simple formatting mechanism allowing you to choose
the font together with its size, colour and also whether to bolden or
italicise text.

The file notepad.exe should be located in your windows folder but if
missing you can extract a new copy from the Win Me cab set as follows.

A new copy of notepad.exe can be extracted from the Win Me cab set using
MSConfig | General - Extract File... and following the prompts.
Alternatively, locate WIN_17.cab either in the Win9x folder on your Win Me
CD or in ..\windows\options\install or ..\cabs, double click to open,
select notepad.exe and drag to your windows folder.

See MS KB129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:

> Are these programs synonymous. If so, why am I unable to retrieve
> info that has been sent to me that requires Note Pad to read it. I
> discovered this problem when I tried to access the License Agreement
> from a download I ran a few months back and got the message "unable
> to find Note Pad". The License Agreement contains key registry info I
> need in order to access the manufactures on line assistance.

.......and if all else fails, look into Edit Pad Lite,
http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html . This free little app will do
the work of both Wordpad and Notepad and is rich with features not found in
the others.
Heirloom, old and HI MIKE!!

>> Are these programs synonymous.
>
> No. Notepad is a simple ascii (plain text) editor limited to working with
> files no larger than 64KB. WordPad can work with any file created using
> notepad but can also handle larger files as well as use what is called
> rich text which is a simple formatting mechanism allowing you to choose
> the font together with its size, colour and also whether to bolden or
> italicise text.
>
> The file notepad.exe should be located in your windows folder but if
> missing you can extract a new copy from the Win Me cab set as follows.
>
> A new copy of notepad.exe can be extracted from the Win Me cab set using
> MSConfig | General - Extract File... and following the prompts.
> Alternatively, locate WIN_17.cab either in the Win9x folder on your Win Me
> CD or in ..\windows\options\install or ..\cabs, double click to open,
> select notepad.exe and drag to your windows folder.
>
> See MS KB129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Are these programs synonymous. If so, why am I unable to retrieve
>> info that has been sent to me that requires Note Pad to read it. I
>> discovered this problem when I tried to access the License Agreement
>> from a download I ran a few months back and got the message "unable
>> to find Note Pad". The License Agreement contains key registry info I
>> need in order to access the manufactures on line assistance.

No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of people
besides Sandy.
I surely like it.
Thank you from my end.

Harry.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> ......and if all else fails, look into Edit Pad Lite,
> http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html . This free little app will do
> the work of both Wordpad and Notepad and is rich with features not found
in
> the others.
> Heirloom, old and HI MIKE!!
>
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> >> Are these programs synonymous.
> >
> > No. Notepad is a simple ascii (plain text) editor limited to working
with
> > files no larger than 64KB. WordPad can work with any file created using
> > notepad but can also handle larger files as well as use what is called
> > rich text which is a simple formatting mechanism allowing you to choose
> > the font together with its size, colour and also whether to bolden or
> > italicise text.
> >
> > The file notepad.exe should be located in your windows folder but if
> > missing you can extract a new copy from the Win Me cab set as follows.
> >
> > A new copy of notepad.exe can be extracted from the Win Me cab set using
> > MSConfig | General - Extract File... and following the prompts.
> > Alternatively, locate WIN_17.cab either in the Win9x folder on your Win
Me
> > CD or in ..\windows\options\install or ..\cabs, double click to open,
> > select notepad.exe and drag to your windows folder.
> >
> > See MS KB129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Are these programs synonymous. If so, why am I unable to retrieve
> >> info that has been sent to me that requires Note Pad to read it. I
> >> discovered this problem when I tried to access the License Agreement
> >> from a download I ran a few months back and got the message "unable
> >> to find Note Pad". The License Agreement contains key registry info I
> >> need in order to access the manufactures on line assistance.

Shane

I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to giggle
at that one, Harry.

Shane

> No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
> people
> besides Sandy.
> I surely like it.
> Thank you from my end.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> ......and if all else fails, look into Edit Pad Lite,
>> http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html . This free little app will
>> do
>> the work of both Wordpad and Notepad and is rich with features not found
> in
>> the others.
>> Heirloom, old and HI MIKE!!
>>
>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>> >
>> > No. Notepad is a simple ascii (plain text) editor limited to working
> with
>> > files no larger than 64KB. WordPad can work with any file created
>> > using
>> > notepad but can also handle larger files as well as use what is called
>> > rich text which is a simple formatting mechanism allowing you to choose
>> > the font together with its size, colour and also whether to bolden or
>> > italicise text.
>> >
>> > The file notepad.exe should be located in your windows folder but if
>> > missing you can extract a new copy from the Win Me cab set as follows.
>> >
>> > A new copy of notepad.exe can be extracted from the Win Me cab set
>> > using
>> > MSConfig | General - Extract File... and following the prompts.
>> > Alternatively, locate WIN_17.cab either in the Win9x folder on your Win
> Me
>> > CD or in ..\windows\options\install or ..\cabs, double click to open,
>> > select notepad.exe and drag to your windows folder.
>> >
>> > See MS KB129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
>> > (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
>> > --
>> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> > mike.maltby@gmail.com

Or at least review which end one is at.

Rick

Shane wrote:
> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to giggle
> at that one, Harry.
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>
>>No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
>>people
>>besides Sandy.
>>I surely like it.
>>Thank you from my end.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>>"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>......and if all else fails, look into Edit Pad Lite,
>>>http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html . This free little app will
>>>do
>>>the work of both Wordpad and Notepad and is rich with features not found
>>
>>in
>>
>>>the others.
>>> Heirloom, old and HI MIKE!!
>>>
>>>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

>>with

>>Me

I guess it could be "wit's end".................
Heirloom, old and whole brain, half wit

> Or at least review which end one is at.
>
> Rick
>
> Shane wrote:
>> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to
>> giggle at that one, Harry.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
>>>people
>>>besides Sandy.
>>>I surely like it.
>>>Thank you from my end.
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>>

>>>"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message

>>>in

>>>with

>>>Me

Shane

Jeez, your cup runneth over, mate!

Shane

>I guess it could be "wit's end".................
> Heirloom, old and whole brain, half wit
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Or at least review which end one is at.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> Shane wrote:
>>> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to
>>> giggle at that one, Harry.
>>>

>>> Shane
>>>

>>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

Thankyou, but I try not to boast about it.

Rick

Shane wrote:
> Jeez, your cup runneth over, mate!
>

> Shane
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>
>>I guess it could be "wit's end".................
>> Heirloom, old and whole brain, half wit
>>
>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Or at least review which end one is at.
>>>
>>>Rick

This could be good.....depending on the size of the cup, of course.
Heirloom, old and A, B, C, D, hmmmmmmmmmm

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Jeez, your cup runneth over, mate!
>

> Shane
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>I guess it could be "wit's end".................
>> Heirloom, old and whole brain, half wit
>>
>> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Or at least review which end one is at.
>>>
>>> Rick

Entendre, Shane?
Not to be found in my dictionary.
How aboiut enlightening me on that one?
Where "end" is concerned, the saying goes:
"If the end is good, all is good".

Harry.

> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to giggle
> at that one, Harry.
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
> > people
> > besides Sandy.
> > I surely like it.
> > Thank you from my end.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> >> ......and if all else fails, look into Edit Pad Lite,
> >> http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html . This free little app will
> >> do
> >> the work of both Wordpad and Notepad and is rich with features not
found
> > in
> >> the others.
> >> Heirloom, old and HI MIKE!!
> >>
> >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> > with

Win
> > Me

Files"

Alias

"Double entendre" means double meaning. It's used a lot in puns.

Alias

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote

> Entendre, Shane?
> Not to be found in my dictionary.
> How aboiut enlightening me on that one?
> Where "end" is concerned, the saying goes:
> "If the end is good, all is good".
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to
>> giggle
>> at that one, Harry.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
>> > people
>> > besides Sandy.
>> > I surely like it.
>> > Thank you from my end.
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> found
>> > in

>> > with
> called
> choose

> follows.

> Win
>> > Me

> Files"

Shane

I guess you haven't heard about the day your namesake - Good King Harry
(there, you've been promoted!) - got his Hampton Court?

Shane

> Entendre, Shane?
> Not to be found in my dictionary.
> How aboiut enlightening me on that one?
> Where "end" is concerned, the saying goes:
> "If the end is good, all is good".
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to
>> giggle
>> at that one, Harry.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > No there's an idea, Heirloom, that probably can be useful to a lot of
>> > people
>> > besides Sandy.
>> > I surely like it.
>> > Thank you from my end.
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> found
>> > in

>> > with
> called
> choose

> follows.

> Win
>> > Me

> Files"

Shane:

That explains why earlier in life I was told there was noble blood in my
veins. Too bad the money didn't come along with it. I earned every penny
myself. As it turns out, some of these pennies must have been wooden (don't
take no wooden nickels? <mbg>).
The Hampten Court business I'll have to look into.

Harry.

> I guess you haven't heard about the day your namesake - Good King Harry
> (there, you've been promoted!) - got his Hampton Court?
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Entendre, Shane?
> > Not to be found in my dictionary.
> > How aboiut enlightening me on that one?
> > Where "end" is concerned, the saying goes:
> > "If the end is good, all is good".
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I suppose it requires being from the land of the double entendre to
> >> giggle
> >> at that one, Harry.
> >>

> >> Shane
> >>

> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > found

> > called
> > choose

> > follows.

> > Win

> > Files"

That's "Hampton Court", Harry. Don't want to see you looking in the wrong
lingerie drawer again.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Shane:
>
> That explains why earlier in life I was told there was noble blood in my
> veins. Too bad the money didn't come along with it. I earned every penny
> myself. As it turns out, some of these pennies must have been wooden
(don't
> take no wooden nickels? <mbg>).
> The Hampten Court business I'll have to look into.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I guess you haven't heard about the day your namesake - Good King Harry
> > (there, you've been promoted!) - got his Hampton Court?
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Entendre, Shane?
> > > Not to be found in my dictionary.
> > > How aboiut enlightening me on that one?
> > > Where "end" is concerned, the saying goes:
> > > "If the end is good, all is good".
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > found

> > > called
> > > choose

> if
> > > follows.

> your
> > > Win

> > > Files"

> "unable
> info

A slip of the finger and the eye, Jack.
It didn't come onto play when searching.
I am "in the know" now.

Harry.