Display fonts get extra large and everything locks up

Hi, I'm using Win Me and I have my screen resolution set to 1024x768.
However, if I don't work on it for a while, the screen goes black and when I
get back in, the fonts went to extra large and I can only see a tiny part of
whatever's on the screen, and can't see the start or taskbar at all. I have
to do a shutdown to get it back to normal. Frustrating to say the least. Is
there any way I can get it to stay at the 1024x768 even after the screen goes
black (I'm thinking that might be a screensaver mode, but it doesn't show the
screensaver I have selected).

Thank you for any help you can give me!

--
Judio www.no9254me.com

Sounds like your video may be failing on your selected screensaver and
reverting back to VGA mode. Just for grins, go into desktop Properties and
set the screensaver to "None"........this, too, will be a black screen, but,
it may just allow you to come back in to your desired resolution. If this
works, try a different screensaver than the one you currently have
selected....you may have a corrupt .scr file.
Heirloom, old and don't need no
steenking eye candy

"Judio" <Judio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm using Win Me and I have my screen resolution set to 1024x768.
> However, if I don't work on it for a while, the screen goes black and when
> get back in, the fonts went to extra large and I can only see a tiny part
> of
> whatever's on the screen, and can't see the start or taskbar at all. I
> have
> to do a shutdown to get it back to normal. Frustrating to say the least.
> Is
> there any way I can get it to stay at the 1024x768 even after the screen
> goes
> black (I'm thinking that might be a screensaver mode, but it doesn't show
> the
> screensaver I have selected).
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me!
>
> --
> Judio www.no9254me.com

peter

Try going into display, screen saver, settings, set the turn off moniter too
never.

"Judio" wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Win Me and I have my screen resolution set to 1024x768.
> However, if I don't work on it for a while, the screen goes black and when I
> get back in, the fonts went to extra large and I can only see a tiny part of
> whatever's on the screen, and can't see the start or taskbar at all. I have
> to do a shutdown to get it back to normal. Frustrating to say the least. Is
> there any way I can get it to stay at the 1024x768 even after the screen goes
> black (I'm thinking that might be a screensaver mode, but it doesn't show the
> screensaver I have selected).
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me!
>
> --
> Judio www.no9254me.com

Judio,

You may have a bad display card. It could be trying to go to a screen saver
that the video card can not handle and forcing the card to output the high
resolution. When you reboot it resets itself and all is well until it tries
to go to teh screen saver again.

"Judio" wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Win Me and I have my screen resolution set to 1024x768.
> However, if I don't work on it for a while, the screen goes black and when I
> get back in, the fonts went to extra large and I can only see a tiny part of
> whatever's on the screen, and can't see the start or taskbar at all. I have
> to do a shutdown to get it back to normal. Frustrating to say the least. Is
> there any way I can get it to stay at the 1024x768 even after the screen goes
> black (I'm thinking that might be a screensaver mode, but it doesn't show the
> screensaver I have selected).
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me!
>
> --
> Judio www.no9254me.com

Thank you all who responded to me. I'll definitely get the monitor and card
checked out because one or both may be giving me some problems and try
different options with the screensavers. I also found a checkbox in Control
Panel that seems to have helped quite a bit. It is under Display, Settings,
Advanced, Monitor tab. The checkbox is labeled "Reset display on
suspend/resume." It was checked when I found it so I unchecked it and ever
since my screen hasn't reverted to the huge fonts.
Thanks again!