floppy disc trouble

hi there,
i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to continue...after 1
min. same message comes up. same problem came up about 8 mos. ago and i
forgot about fixing it....bob

You may have a bad floppy drive

"bob94030" wrote:

> hi there,
> i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
> message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
> inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to continue...after 1
> min. same message comes up. same problem came up about 8 mos. ago and i
> forgot about fixing it....bob

Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?

Rick

bob94030 wrote:
> hi there,
> i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
> message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
> inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to continue...after 1
> min. same message comes up. same problem came up about 8 mos. ago and i
> forgot about fixing it....bob

Chances are that your floppy disk drive is worn/dirty (clogged with dust).
For the cost of replacement versus repairing/cleaning it = no contest.

Check-out your local PC store/supplier for a replacement.

Mart

"bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
> i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
> message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
> inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to
> continue...after 1
> min. same message comes up. same problem came up about 8 mos. ago and i
> forgot about fixing it....bob

99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?
>

> Rick
>
> bob94030 wrote:
>> hi there,
>> i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
>> message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
>> inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to
>> continue...after 1 min. same message comes up. same problem came up about
>> 8 mos. ago and i forgot about fixing it....bob

hmmm.....from noel not saying anthing about my problem am i to assume that
the problem IS a dirty or bad disc drive and NOT something else ?....thanks
much...bob

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> 99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?
> >

> > Rick
> >
> > bob94030 wrote:
> >> hi there,
> >> i can't make a new rescue floppy disc....using new ones or old...this
> >> message comes up; setup cannot properly initialize the disc that you
> >> inserted...error...disc sector was not found...click ok to
> >> continue...after 1 min. same message comes up. same problem came up about
> >> 8 mos. ago and i forgot about fixing it....bob

Replacing the drive would be my first step in troubleshooting any problems
with floppies. Like Mart said, the price to replace a drive is far cheeper
than tryign to spend a ton of time cleaning or repairing it.

Now, if you can use the drive successfully for normal data, you may have
more of a problem, but if you have even intermitten trouble writing/reading
with the drive, the best thing to do is to replace it.

And as a side note, if you are going to go out and buy one from a store,
please don't go to Wal*Mart and get it. Go to one of your local computer
shops. If you are nice enough, they may even install it for you for the price
that Wal*Mart wants for it. Don't forget to take your computer with you
though.

"bob94030" wrote:

> hmmm.....from noel not saying anthing about my problem am i to assume that
> the problem IS a dirty or bad disc drive and NOT something else ?....thanks
> much...bob
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > 99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?
> > >

> > > Rick

Begin by cleaning your floppy drive using the special cleaning disk to do
so. $US 5.00.
Also use compressed gas to blow out all the dust bunnies, first.
If it still fails, try a new floppy cable, followed by a new drive. Ca. $US
10-20, at many outlets.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> hmmm.....from noel not saying anthing about my problem am i to assume that
> the problem IS a dirty or bad disc drive and NOT something else
?....thanks
> much...bob
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > 99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?
> > >

> > > Rick

does sound like a bum floppy drive or cable or something (having just
read the part where you mention "new or old..."(diskettes)).

Check in Device Manager (ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager) to see if
you have any exclamation or question marks next to the floppy drive.

Also in the System BIOS to make sure floppy-drive is enabled and set to
1.44 (or 2.88 if you have one).

Rick

bob94030 wrote:
> hmmm.....from noel not saying anthing about my problem am i to assume that
> the problem IS a dirty or bad disc drive and NOT something else ?....thanks
> much...bob
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>

>>99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick
>>
>>--
>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Don't you have to Format the diskette first ?
>>>

>>>Rick

?

How is lugging your computer to a computer store, purchasing a new
floppy drive and having them install it any easier than buying a FD
cleaning kit (considerably less bulky).

Rick

Anyways if the industry wanted to keep FD drives around, they could at
least make it IDE and onboard cache and bundle it with all those "media
reader" things. And while we're on the subject, having the optical disk
as B: makes alot more sense than "D: on a good day, take a guess on a
bad day".

/pauserant

Raymond Campbell wrote:
> Replacing the drive would be my first step in troubleshooting any problems
> with floppies. Like Mart said, the price to replace a drive is far cheeper
> than tryign to spend a ton of time cleaning or repairing it.
>
> Now, if you can use the drive successfully for normal data, you may have
> more of a problem, but if you have even intermitten trouble writing/reading
> with the drive, the best thing to do is to replace it.
>
> And as a side note, if you are going to go out and buy one from a store,
> please don't go to Wal*Mart and get it. Go to one of your local computer
> shops. If you are nice enough, they may even install it for you for the price
> that Wal*Mart wants for it. Don't forget to take your computer with you
> though.
>
> "bob94030" wrote:
>

>>hmmm.....from noel not saying anthing about my problem am i to assume that
>>the problem IS a dirty or bad disc drive and NOT something else ?....thanks
>>much...bob
>>
>>"Noel Paton" wrote:
>>

>>>99% of floppies come pre-formatted nowadays, Rick
>>>
>>>--
>>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>>
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

My two assumptions here Rick :-
1) that the OP is quite capable of performing some simple DIY (There are
plenty of instructions on how to do it with the aid of Google <g>)
2) that if it requires more than just the use of the 'cleaning kit', then
its back to your plan (a) "lugging the computer to a computer store,
purchasing a new floppy drive and having them install it"

And, as you've got to go to the computer store to buy a cleaning kit, you
may as well 'lug the computer' with you and do the job properly. Plus, the
cost of a cleaning kit is not very much less than the cost of a brand new
floppy drive.

BTW - I like your rant. I don't necessarily agree with it. But I like it. In
fact many 'new' PC's (with XP) no longer come with a floppy drive. - Just as
well you can buy USB floppy Drives, though <g>

Mart

Mart wrote:
> My two assumptions here Rick :-
> 1) that the OP is quite capable of performing some simple DIY (There are
> plenty of instructions on how to do it with the aid of Google <g>)
> 2) that if it requires more than just the use of the 'cleaning kit', then
> its back to your plan (a) "lugging the computer to a computer store,
> purchasing a new floppy drive and having them install it"
>
> And, as you've got to go to the computer store to buy a cleaning kit, you
> may as well 'lug the computer' with you and do the job properly. Plus, the
> cost of a cleaning kit is not very much less than the cost of a brand new
> floppy drive.

True, but unnecessarily wasteful; moreso if it turns out to be the
cable, power-supply (forgot that one) or a BIOS hiccup.

> BTW - I like your rant. I don't necessarily agree with it. But I like it. In
> fact many 'new' PC's (with XP) no longer come with a floppy drive. - Just as
> well you can buy USB floppy Drives, though <g>

Can you boot from them easily ? I imagine you're supposed to be able to.

Rick

Rick wrote :-
> True, but unnecessarily wasteful; moreso if it turns out to be the cable,
> power-supply (forgot that one) or a BIOS hiccup.

Mmm.. unlikely, from the reported symptoms but... maybe the OP would like
to do more testing in DOS etc., - if only he had a working WinMe boot floppy
<g> Just seems the quickest, easiest solution is to substitute with an
inexpensive (brand new) replacement.

> Can you boot from them (USB floppy drive) easily ? I imagine you're
> supposed to be able to.

Yes! It just sets itself up (PnP's) as an A: drive.

Mart

Mart wrote:
> Rick wrote :-
>
>>True, but unnecessarily wasteful; moreso if it turns out to be the cable,
>>power-supply (forgot that one) or a BIOS hiccup.
>

> Mmm.. unlikely, from the reported symptoms but... maybe the OP would like
> to do more testing in DOS etc., - if only he had a working WinMe boot floppy
> <g> Just seems the quickest, easiest solution is to substitute with an
> inexpensive (brand new) replacement.

<lol> Unless It Is Not A Floppy Drive Problem; Then He Has Two Drives
That Don't Work.

>>Can you boot from them (USB floppy drive) easily ? I imagine you're
>>supposed to be able to.
>

> Yes! It just sets itself up (PnP's) as an A: drive.

nifty... I'll put it on the list for the New System.

Rick

Rick wrote :-

> <lol> Unless It Is Not A Floppy Drive Problem; Then He Has Two Drives That
> Don't Work.

Not to mention, a redundant "FD cleaning kit" <vbg>

Mart