Airport Environment Upgrade v7 on Avsim

Last response: in Video Games
February 16, 2005 12:47:02 PM

Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.

John
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:03 PM

John Ward <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.

Thanks, John. Going over now to grab it.

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 12:47:04 PM

FWIW Pete and John, I just downloaded it and installed it in the texture
folder as directed. It came up with beautiful graphics all right, but it
didn't like the Spitfire program and caused a lot of stuttering in
flight and on the ground. I tried it twice with the same result. Could
be it's just my system however. Just be advised. Back up the texture
folder on the desktop before you install it. I had to reinstall the
folder, which immediately cured the stuttering. The Spit has two folders
in the texture folder and that might have been the issue. If you over
ride as directed, you might be catching some of Realair's stuff required
for the Spitfire. Pete, I don't know if you have the Spit, but John does
I think.
Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
Dudley
"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> John Ward <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.
>
> Thanks, John. Going over now to grab it.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:05 PM

Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

<snip>
> Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.

Thanks, Dudley.

I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.

It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 12:47:06 PM

It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International and
took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful; really
an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
views.
Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
changes.

> Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
>
> Thanks, Dudley.
>
> I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
> reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.
>
> It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
February 16, 2005 12:47:06 PM

"pr"
> It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

Will you keep us informed on your install too... I'm not going to mess with
it until I get some positive feedback.

Dallas
February 16, 2005 12:47:06 PM

pr wrote:
> Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
>

> Thanks, Dudley.
>
> I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
> reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.
>
> It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

Folks,

Here's one from the masses ! I just loaded up AE7 and tooled around KPHL

CPU -> Pentium 3.4
RAM -> 1024
Video -> ATI X300 PCI xpress ( low end card )
FS9 installed on a second SATA 80 GB drive
FS9 settings at max , frames locked at 25 and no clouds ( frame rate
killer )

No stutters or pauses and frame rate never dipped below 23. Works for me
and looks nice too !

Jim Bob
"Master of the SR. Moment"
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:07 PM

Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

> It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International and
> took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful; really
> an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
> views.
> Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
> stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
> changes.

Two questions, Dudley:

a) When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive where FS2004 is
installed?

b) how much RAM do you have?

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 12:47:08 PM

RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right now
I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason this
"not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the newsgroups,
but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message :-)
> Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International
>> and
>> took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful;
>> really
>> an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
>> switching
>> views.
>> Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
>> stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
>> changes.
>
> Two questions, Dudley:
>
> a) When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive where
> FS2004 is
> installed?
>
> b) how much RAM do you have?
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:09 PM

Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

> RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right now
> I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason this
> "not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
> defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
> drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
> simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the newsgroups,
> but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message :-)

What defrag utility do you use?

Recently I was turned on to the O&O Defrag utility by a few different
simulation performance tips:

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.htm...

They offer a thirty day unlimited trial. If you are comfortable with it,
you might want to install it and defrag your drive using the Complete:Name
option.

If nothing else, the drive analysis feature will give you a good assessment
of the fragmentation state of the drive containing FS2004.

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 12:47:10 PM

I simply use the defrag available in XP. It's my understanding that XP
does a partial defrag in the background when idle and that if you have
the NTFS file system you hardly ever need to defrag the drive.
I do it occasionally just to keep things straight, but I think these two
reasons must be why I don't get a defrag now message.
> Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right
>> now
>> I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason
>> this
>> "not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
>> defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
>> drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
>> simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the
>> newsgroups,
>> but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message
>> :-)
>
> What defrag utility do you use?
>
> Recently I was turned on to the O&O Defrag utility by a few different
> simulation performance tips:
>
> http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.htm...
>
> They offer a thirty day unlimited trial. If you are comfortable with
> it,
> you might want to install it and defrag your drive using the
> Complete:Name
> option.
>
> If nothing else, the drive analysis feature will give you a good
> assessment
> of the fragmentation state of the drive containing FS2004.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:11 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:13:28 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
<dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

>I simply use the defrag available in XP.
[snip]

XP's Defrag (AIUI) is a cut down and (very) feature restricted version
of Diskeeper from Executive Software. I had a look at the trial
version and if I can explain to management, in simple terms, why
defragging is a good idea, I'll be getting it for the servers.

Carl
--
"Rude alert. Rude alert. An electrical fire has knocked out my voice
recognition unicycle. Many Wurlitzers are missing from my database. Abandon

Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

> simply use the defrag available in XP. It's my understanding that XP
> does a partial defrag in the background when idle and that if you have
> the NTFS file system you hardly ever need to defrag the drive.
> I do it occasionally just to keep things straight, but I think these two
> reasons must be why I don't get a defrag now message.

I used to use the XP-included defrag utility on my NTFS drive where FS2004
is installed as well.

However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
decided to give it a shot.

For a comparison, I first defragged with the Windows utility, then ran the
drive analysis of the O&O utility (while I was under the free 30 day
trial). The analysis reported that there were still many files in a
defragmented state and there were surprising many "holes" in the existing
data just screaming for further defragmentation.

So, I ran the Complete:Name type of defrag on this drive and it looked like
a much more thorough defragmentation. I also ran the same defrag on my
Windows drive and Windows now boots noticeably faster than before.

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 12:47:12 PM

pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:

> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
> decided to give it a shot.

BTW, someone had posted this link last week. This is where I read about
the defrag utility:

http://www.megascenery.com/performance.htm

--
Peter

February 16, 2005 5:39:18 PM

Thanks Pete. I'll look into this.
> pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
>> decided to give it a shot.
>
> BTW, someone had posted this link last week. This is where I read
> about
> the defrag utility:
>
> http://www.megascenery.com/performance.htm
>

> --
> Peter

> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> 120,000+ Newsgroups
> =----
February 16, 2005 11:49:06 PM

"pr"
> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
> decided to give it a shot.

Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

Dallas
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:49:07 PM

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> "pr"
>> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
>> decided to give it a shot.
>
> Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

With a 30 day unlimited trial, you should have plenty of opportunity to
defrag your drive to see if FS2004's performance benefits or not.
--
Peter

February 17, 2005 2:58:50 AM

"JimBob"
> No stutters or pauses and frame rate never dipped below 23. Works for me
> and looks nice too !

Sounds optimistic.

Dallas
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:30:45 PM

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)

--
Peter

February 17, 2005 9:56:40 PM

"pr"
> Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
> add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
> your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)

I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

Speed Disk (the old gold standard defragger)
System Doctor
Disk Doctor
Unerase Wizard
Norton CleanSweep
Norton Ghost
and.... Norton AntiVirus

Dallas
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:56:41 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:56:40 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "pr"
>> Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
>> add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
>> your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)
>
> I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

Taken to the cleaners... ;)

Bill
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:56:41 PM

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

I used to be a big Norton Utilities fan, certainly from the late 80s when
Peter Norton was still the author.

Having faithfully upgrade every year, I had some show-stopper problems with
the latest version. Performance problems and file corruption turned me
away from NU.

<snip>

> and.... Norton AntiVirus

A few months ago, my Norton Antivirus subscription was about to expire, so
I opted to try AVG free. With Norton still on my PC, I installed and ran
AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
catch.

That was a shocker. I immediately deleted NAV and haven't looked back
since.

--
Peter

February 17, 2005 11:42:56 PM

"JimBob"
> Geeezzz , I wish I'd said that !!!

That's why we call Quilly "the Silver Tongued Devil".

Dallas
February 18, 2005 12:44:33 AM

"Bill Leaming"
> > I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:
> Taken to the cleaners... ;)

I knew some would ding me for that post. :-)

Dallas
February 18, 2005 12:47:11 AM

"pr"
> AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
> catch.

That's scary... but I wonder if you ran Norton AV now if it would find two
dormant Trojans that AVG failed to catch? :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:47:00 AM

Dallas wrote:
> "JimBob"
>> Geeezzz , I wish I'd said that !!!
>
> That's why we call Quilly "the Silver Tongued Devil".
>
> Dallas

....and what Dally does with his tongue is absolutely nobody's business in
this NG :-)

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

> That's scary... but I wonder if you ran Norton AV now if it would
> find two dormant Trojans that AVG failed to catch? :-)
>
> Dallas

I doubt it Dally. I reckon the silly little boys who design the virii know
all about McAvee and Norton as they are so often bundled. AVG seems to be
much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and smoothly.

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
February 18, 2005 2:48:06 AM

pr wrote:

> A few months ago, my Norton Antivirus subscription was about to expire, so
> I opted to try AVG free. With Norton still on my PC, I installed and ran
> AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
> catch.
>
> That was a shocker. I immediately deleted NAV and haven't looked back
> since.

Hi Peter,

I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree. I don't know
what the payware version of AVG does, the free version does all I need.
(I Guess) :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
February 18, 2005 2:48:07 AM

boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:

> I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
> AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree.

You, too? What's up with Norton?

> I don't know what the payware version of AVG does, the free version
> does all I need. (I Guess) :)

I concluded the same thing. Unlike the differences between Zone Alarm free
and Pro, AVG doesn't appear to really offer any beneficial feature by going
pro.

--
Peter

February 18, 2005 8:46:27 AM

"Quilljar"
> AVG seems to be
> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
smoothly.

Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4796,00.asp

Dallas
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 8:46:28 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:46:27 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
> 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
> They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.

AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
"unbiased" that review was? ;)

Bill
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:57:07 AM

I've been watching AVG out of the corner of my eye for a couple of years now. I've noted far fewer false positives this
year than the year before. So that's an improvement. And 7.0 does seem to be just plain all around better. I still
feel they are playing catch-up but are very quickly in the last year actually catching up. The whole game is going to
change in the next few years anyway:)

Incidentally in a private newsfeed that I subscribe to of AV professionals (I don't claim to be an expert but I do
monitor the experts and have dabbled in the arcane science of virus protection) the same sentiments are mirrored. AVG
has representation in that newsfeed also. The purpose of the newsfeed is to privately distribute AV information on new
viruses before it gets to the public so that updates can be made before the script kiddies can make copies of the latest
and greatest.

IMO I feel that AVG and CA (eTrust) both can improve their scanning engines. I think AVG will make the next leap. It's
harder to do than one might think BTW. McAfee and Norton are both a bit faster yet that has introduced some
peculiarities. None of which I wish to discuss.

Note that yesterday they released the news that SHA1 may have a flaw. Not a very serious one but one that could be a
backdoor over the next year or so to machine security. Certainly to National Security. If I recall correctly something
like 2000 computers could in 16 years crack a SHA1 message. Feel secure? I can think of many governments and companies
that have well over 2000 free computers to put to the task. And then there are the new supercomputers that are just
coming online that could make much shorter work of that task. As they used to say in the NSA - Code breakers get
better, never worse.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:TifRd.2924$kU3.2814@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Quilljar"
>> AVG seems to be
>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
> smoothly.
>
> Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
> 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
> They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4796,00.asp
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:29:26 PM

> AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
> "unbiased" that review was? ;)
>
> Bill

Exactly !

Also, the Pro version of AVG gives very quick and very good personal email
advice if needed.

--
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/

>> AVG seems to be
>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
> smoothly.

I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you are on
dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you boot up (when
you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches an ad to the bottom
of every outgoing email and there is no way to turn this off. You never see
this and it isn't plainly stated in their license that I can find. That is
the price of "free" I guess ;)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:36:12 PM

- wrote:
>>> AVG seems to be
>>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
>>> smoothly.
>
> I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you
> are on dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you
> boot up (when you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches
> an ad to the bottom of every outgoing email and there is no way to
> turn this off. You never see this and it isn't plainly stated in
> their license that I can find. That is the price of "free" I guess ;)

My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on unless
requested. Have you upgraded to the Free v 7 yet.? AVG are no longer
supporting v6, and v7 seems much more like the Pro version...Delete the old
v6 and try it.

--
Quilly
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
Do not reply personally, false address
February 18, 2005 7:52:51 PM

> My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on
> unless requested.

I must have missed that option. I will go back in and see if I can find it.

Doug
!