Airport Environment Upgrade v7 on Avsim

Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.

John
35 answers Last reply
More about airport environment upgrade avsim

    John Ward <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

    > Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.

    Thanks, John. Going over now to grab it.

    --
    Peter

    FWIW Pete and John, I just downloaded it and installed it in the texture
    folder as directed. It came up with beautiful graphics all right, but it
    didn't like the Spitfire program and caused a lot of stuttering in
    flight and on the ground. I tried it twice with the same result. Could
    be it's just my system however. Just be advised. Back up the texture
    folder on the desktop before you install it. I had to reinstall the
    folder, which immediately cured the stuttering. The Spit has two folders
    in the texture folder and that might have been the issue. If you over
    ride as directed, you might be catching some of Realair's stuff required
    for the Spitfire. Pete, I don't know if you have the Spit, but John does
    I think.
    Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
    Dudley
    "pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > John Ward <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >> Released today on Avsim, for anyone interested.
    >
    > Thanks, John. Going over now to grab it.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

    Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    <snip>
    > Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.

    Thanks, Dudley.

    I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
    reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.

    It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

    --
    Peter

    It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International and
    took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful; really
    an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
    views.
    Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
    stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
    changes.

    > Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >> Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
    >
    > Thanks, Dudley.
    >
    > I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
    > reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

    "pr"
    > It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

    Will you keep us informed on your install too... I'm not going to mess with
    it until I get some positive feedback.

    Dallas

    pr wrote:
    > Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Hope it works for you, but it didn't for me.
    >

    > Thanks, Dudley.
    >
    > I remember reading on the Avsim forum that there were some people who
    > reported performance problems with the airport environment add-on.
    >
    > It will be interesting to see if the masses also report this problem.

    Folks,

    Here's one from the masses ! I just loaded up AE7 and tooled around KPHL

    CPU -> Pentium 3.4
    RAM -> 1024
    Video -> ATI X300 PCI xpress ( low end card )
    FS9 installed on a second SATA 80 GB drive
    FS9 settings at max , frames locked at 25 and no clouds ( frame rate
    killer )

    No stutters or pauses and frame rate never dipped below 23. Works for me
    and looks nice too !

    Jim Bob
    "Master of the SR. Moment"

    Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    > It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International and
    > took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful; really
    > an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
    > views.
    > Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
    > stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
    > changes.

    Two questions, Dudley:

    a) When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive where FS2004 is
    installed?

    b) how much RAM do you have?

    --
    Peter

    RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right now
    I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason this
    "not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
    defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
    drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
    simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the newsgroups,
    but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message :-)
    > Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> It's a shame it didn't work for me. I went into Phila International
    >> and
    >> took a look around while taxiing. The terminals were beautiful;
    >> really
    >> an improvement. But those stutters were really bad and the texture
    >> switching
    >> views.
    >> Interestingly enough, the frames were just fine, even during the
    >> stuttering, but I was getting actual pauses during turns and view
    >> changes.
    >
    > Two questions, Dudley:
    >
    > a) When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive where
    > FS2004 is
    > installed?
    >
    > b) how much RAM do you have?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

    Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    > RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right now
    > I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason this
    > "not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
    > defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
    > drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
    > simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the newsgroups,
    > but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message :-)

    What defrag utility do you use?

    Recently I was turned on to the O&O Defrag utility by a few different
    simulation performance tips:

    http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html

    They offer a thirty day unlimited trial. If you are comfortable with it,
    you might want to install it and defrag your drive using the Complete:Name
    option.

    If nothing else, the drive analysis feature will give you a good assessment
    of the fragmentation state of the drive containing FS2004.

    --
    Peter

    I simply use the defrag available in XP. It's my understanding that XP
    does a partial defrag in the background when idle and that if you have
    the NTFS file system you hardly ever need to defrag the drive.
    I do it occasionally just to keep things straight, but I think these two
    reasons must be why I don't get a defrag now message.
    > Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >> RAM is 1024. I have a strange defrag scenario for some reason. Right
    >> now
    >> I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. For some reason
    >> this
    >> "not needed" seems to be what I get all the time. Every month or so I
    >> defrag anyway, but I don't understand why I never get a "defrag this
    >> drive" notice. Basically the only thing I have on the computer is the
    >> simulator. I do surf the net frequently and hang around the
    >> newsgroups,
    >> but for some reason, I never actually get the "defrag now" message
    >> :-)
    >
    > What defrag utility do you use?
    >
    > Recently I was turned on to the O&O Defrag utility by a few different
    > simulation performance tips:
    >
    > http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/pro.html
    >
    > They offer a thirty day unlimited trial. If you are comfortable with
    > it,
    > you might want to install it and defrag your drive using the
    > Complete:Name
    > option.
    >
    > If nothing else, the drive analysis feature will give you a good
    > assessment
    > of the fragmentation state of the drive containing FS2004.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:13:28 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
    <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    >I simply use the defrag available in XP.
    [snip]

    XP's Defrag (AIUI) is a cut down and (very) feature restricted version
    of Diskeeper from Executive Software. I had a look at the trial
    version and if I can explain to management, in simple terms, why
    defragging is a good idea, I'll be getting it for the servers.

    Carl
    --
    "Rude alert. Rude alert. An electrical fire has knocked out my voice
    recognition unicycle. Many Wurlitzers are missing from my database. Abandon

    Dudley Henriques <dhenriques@trashearthlink.net> wrote:

    > simply use the defrag available in XP. It's my understanding that XP
    > does a partial defrag in the background when idle and that if you have
    > the NTFS file system you hardly ever need to defrag the drive.
    > I do it occasionally just to keep things straight, but I think these two
    > reasons must be why I don't get a defrag now message.

    I used to use the XP-included defrag utility on my NTFS drive where FS2004
    is installed as well.

    However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
    decided to give it a shot.

    For a comparison, I first defragged with the Windows utility, then ran the
    drive analysis of the O&O utility (while I was under the free 30 day
    trial). The analysis reported that there were still many files in a
    defragmented state and there were surprising many "holes" in the existing
    data just screaming for further defragmentation.

    So, I ran the Complete:Name type of defrag on this drive and it looked like
    a much more thorough defragmentation. I also ran the same defrag on my
    Windows drive and Windows now boots noticeably faster than before.

    --
    Peter

    pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:

    > However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
    > decided to give it a shot.

    BTW, someone had posted this link last week. This is where I read about
    the defrag utility:

    http://www.megascenery.com/performance.htm

    --
    Peter

    Thanks Pete. I'll look into this.
    > pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
    >> decided to give it a shot.
    >
    > BTW, someone had posted this link last week. This is where I read
    > about
    > the defrag utility:
    >
    > http://www.megascenery.com/performance.htm
    >

    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    > 120,000+ Newsgroups
    > =----

    "pr"
    > However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
    > decided to give it a shot.

    Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

    Dallas

    Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    > "pr"
    >> However, after reading the tip about using the O&O Defrag utility, I
    >> decided to give it a shot.
    >
    > Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

    With a 30 day unlimited trial, you should have plenty of opportunity to
    defrag your drive to see if FS2004's performance benefits or not.
    --
    Peter

    "JimBob"
    > No stutters or pauses and frame rate never dipped below 23. Works for me
    > and looks nice too !

    Sounds optimistic.

    Dallas
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    > Wow.. $44.90 for one utility! They must be proud of their software... :-(

    Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
    add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
    your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)

    --
    Peter

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "pr"
    > Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
    > add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
    > your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)

    I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

    Speed Disk (the old gold standard defragger)
    System Doctor
    Disk Doctor
    Unerase Wizard
    Norton CleanSweep
    Norton Ghost
    and.... Norton AntiVirus

    Dallas
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:56:40 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > "pr"
    >> Oh, I should add that one who is willing to spend upwards of US$40 on one
    >> add-on aircraft ought to recognize the value of a utility that can keep
    >> your OS and all other software loaded on it running more optimally. :)
    >
    > I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

    Taken to the cleaners... ;)

    Bill
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

    > I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:

    I used to be a big Norton Utilities fan, certainly from the late 80s when
    Peter Norton was still the author.

    Having faithfully upgrade every year, I had some show-stopper problems with
    the latest version. Performance problems and file corruption turned me
    away from NU.

    <snip>

    > and.... Norton AntiVirus

    A few months ago, my Norton Antivirus subscription was about to expire, so
    I opted to try AVG free. With Norton still on my PC, I installed and ran
    AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
    catch.

    That was a shocker. I immediately deleted NAV and haven't looked back
    since.

    --
    Peter

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "JimBob"
    > Geeezzz , I wish I'd said that !!!

    That's why we call Quilly "the Silver Tongued Devil".

    Dallas
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Bill Leaming"
    > > I paid $40 for Norton SystemWorks and got:
    > Taken to the cleaners... ;)

    I knew some would ding me for that post. :-)

    Dallas
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "pr"
    > AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
    > catch.

    That's scary... but I wonder if you ran Norton AV now if it would find two
    dormant Trojans that AVG failed to catch? :-)

    Dallas
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:
    > "JimBob"
    >> Geeezzz , I wish I'd said that !!!
    >
    > That's why we call Quilly "the Silver Tongued Devil".
    >
    > Dallas

    ....and what Dally does with his tongue is absolutely nobody's business in
    this NG :-)

    --
    Quilljar
    see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

    > That's scary... but I wonder if you ran Norton AV now if it would
    > find two dormant Trojans that AVG failed to catch? :-)
    >
    > Dallas

    I doubt it Dally. I reckon the silly little boys who design the virii know
    all about McAvee and Norton as they are so often bundled. AVG seems to be
    much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and smoothly.

    --
    Quilljar
    see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
    Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    pr wrote:

    > A few months ago, my Norton Antivirus subscription was about to expire, so
    > I opted to try AVG free. With Norton still on my PC, I installed and ran
    > AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
    > catch.
    >
    > That was a shocker. I immediately deleted NAV and haven't looked back
    > since.

    Hi Peter,

    I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
    AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree. I don't know
    what the payware version of AVG does, the free version does all I need.
    (I Guess) :)
    --

    boB

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:

    > I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
    > AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree.

    You, too? What's up with Norton?

    > I don't know what the payware version of AVG does, the free version
    > does all I need. (I Guess) :)

    I concluded the same thing. Unlike the differences between Zone Alarm free
    and Pro, AVG doesn't appear to really offer any beneficial feature by going
    pro.

    --
    Peter

  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "Quilljar"
    > AVG seems to be
    > much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
    smoothly.

    Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
    4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
    They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.

    http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4796,00.asp

    Dallas
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:46:27 GMT, Dallas wrote:

    > Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
    > 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
    > They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.

    AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
    "unbiased" that review was? ;)

    Bill
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I've been watching AVG out of the corner of my eye for a couple of years now. I've noted far fewer false positives this
    year than the year before. So that's an improvement. And 7.0 does seem to be just plain all around better. I still
    feel they are playing catch-up but are very quickly in the last year actually catching up. The whole game is going to
    change in the next few years anyway:)

    Incidentally in a private newsfeed that I subscribe to of AV professionals (I don't claim to be an expert but I do
    monitor the experts and have dabbled in the arcane science of virus protection) the same sentiments are mirrored. AVG
    has representation in that newsfeed also. The purpose of the newsfeed is to privately distribute AV information on new
    viruses before it gets to the public so that updates can be made before the script kiddies can make copies of the latest
    and greatest.

    IMO I feel that AVG and CA (eTrust) both can improve their scanning engines. I think AVG will make the next leap. It's
    harder to do than one might think BTW. McAfee and Norton are both a bit faster yet that has introduced some
    peculiarities. None of which I wish to discuss.

    Note that yesterday they released the news that SHA1 may have a flaw. Not a very serious one but one that could be a
    backdoor over the next year or so to machine security. Certainly to National Security. If I recall correctly something
    like 2000 computers could in 16 years crack a SHA1 message. Feel secure? I can think of many governments and companies
    that have well over 2000 free computers to put to the task. And then there are the new supercomputers that are just
    coming online that could make much shorter work of that task. As they used to say in the NSA - Code breakers get
    better, never worse.

    --
    ....Carl Frisk
    Anger is a brief madness.

    "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:TifRd.2924$kU3.2814@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

    > "Quilljar"
    >> AVG seems to be
    >> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
    > smoothly.
    >
    > Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
    > 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
    > They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.
    >
    > http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4796,00.asp
    >
    > Dallas

  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
    > "unbiased" that review was? ;)
    >
    > Bill

    Exactly !

    Also, the Pro version of AVG gives very quick and very good personal email
    advice if needed.

    --
    Website
    http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/

    >> AVG seems to be
    >> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
    > smoothly.

    I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you are on
    dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you boot up (when
    you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches an ad to the bottom
    of every outgoing email and there is no way to turn this off. You never see
    this and it isn't plainly stated in their license that I can find. That is
    the price of "free" I guess ;)
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    - wrote:
    >>> AVG seems to be
    >>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
    >>> smoothly.
    >
    > I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you
    > are on dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you
    > boot up (when you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches
    > an ad to the bottom of every outgoing email and there is no way to
    > turn this off. You never see this and it isn't plainly stated in
    > their license that I can find. That is the price of "free" I guess ;)

    My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on unless
    requested. Have you upgraded to the Free v 7 yet.? AVG are no longer
    supporting v6, and v7 seems much more like the Pro version...Delete the old
    v6 and try it.

    --
    Quilly
    Website
    http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
    Do not reply personally, false address
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on
    > unless requested.

    I must have missed that option. I will go back in and see if I can find it.

    Doug

Games Microsoft Video Games Product