Laptop Only Uses WiFi, Refuses to Use Wired LAN When Conne..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two
network adapters:

1. Intel PRO/1000 MT
2. Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

I have the adapters set to IP xxx.xxx.x.3 and xxx.xxx.x.4, respectively.
For network bindings, I have the LAN set first, then WiFi. The
problem is, when the laptop is in its dock, where it should have a wired
connection, it uses WiFi instead. If I set both adapters to the same
IP, such as IP xxx.xxx.x.3, and the laptop is in its dock, it uses the
wired network, as the WiFi connection cannot setup its IP. How can I
get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.

"M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message
| I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two
| network adapters:
|
| 1. Intel PRO/1000 MT
| 2. Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
|
| I have the adapters set to IP xxx.xxx.x.3 and xxx.xxx.x.4,
respectively.
| For network bindings, I have the LAN set first, then WiFi. The
| problem is, when the laptop is in its dock, where it should have a
wired
| connection, it uses WiFi instead. If I set both adapters to the same
| IP, such as IP xxx.xxx.x.3, and the laptop is in its dock, it uses the
| wired network, as the WiFi connection cannot setup its IP. How can I
| get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
| WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.

You can manually enable and disable both adapters. Also, there is a
bridge feature that should control the adapters. Right click on My
Networks (or whatever the fools in Redmond call it) desktop icon and
choose Properties. Look for the Wired, Wireless and Bridge icons and
right click on them to check their status.

Chas.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

"M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2Nidnah0pueGPHzfRVn-ow@gwi.net...
>I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two network adapters:
> How can I get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
> WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.

Use IBM Access Connections to configure your connections instead of using windows
network setup (and uncheck the "connect automatically" property for the wireless
connection.)

--
><<>><eM eL><

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Have you tried Network Connections-Advanced-Advanced Settings . I don't
know is that will do it, but it looks promising.

Clark

eM eL wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:2Nidnah0pueGPHzfRVn-ow@gwi.net...
>
>>I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two network adapters:
>>How can I get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
>>WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.
>

> Use IBM Access Connections to configure your connections instead of using windows
> network setup (and uncheck the "connect automatically" property for the wireless
> connection.)

Ok, I think using IBM Access Connections is the best solution, and what
I was using previously. However, I switched over to letting Windows
handle my connections, and I can't figure out how to re-enable IBM
Access Connections. If I double-click on the "Wireless Connection
Status" (I think this is a part of IBM Access Connections) in my system
tray, I only have three buttons, "Find WLAN," "Modify WLAN Settings"
(grayed out), and "Close." How do I wrench control of my connections
from Windows and give them back to IBM Access Connections? Thanks!

"M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:x5adnQ506o_JvX_fRVn-pQ@gwi.net...
> How do I wrench control of my connections from Windows and give them back to IBM
> Access Connections? Thanks!

Go to Start | Network Connections
Click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties
Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
setting" box. Click on OK.
Click once on the IBM Access Connections icon in the tray and choose Launch IBM
Access Connections.
Click on Manage profiles and go from there.
Good luck!
--

eM eL wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:x5adnQ506o_JvX_fRVn-pQ@gwi.net...
>
>> How do I wrench control of my connections from Windows and give them back to IBM
>>Access Connections? Thanks!
>

> Go to Start | Network Connections
> Click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties
> Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> setting" box. Click on OK.
> Click once on the IBM Access Connections icon in the tray and choose Launch IBM
> Access Connections.
> Click on Manage profiles and go from there.
> Good luck!

Thanks, that worked! Although the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
setting box" was under the "Wireless Networks" tab, not "Advanced."
Since IBM Access Connections was handling my WiFi previously, all I had
to do was disable Windows from handling it and IBM AC took over from there.

eM eL wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:x5adnQ506o_JvX_fRVn-pQ@gwi.net...
>
>> How do I wrench control of my connections from Windows and give them back to IBM
>>Access Connections? Thanks!
>

> Go to Start | Network Connections
> Click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties
> Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> setting" box. Click on OK.
> Click once on the IBM Access Connections icon in the tray and choose Launch IBM
> Access Connections.
> Click on Manage profiles and go from there.
> Good luck!

Actually, that didn't work. Also, IBM Access Connections seems to be
for manual switching only. So I've gone back to Windows, but now I
think I have the same issue...grr...

eM eL wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:x5adnQ506o_JvX_fRVn-pQ@gwi.net...
>
>> How do I wrench control of my connections from Windows and give them back to IBM
>>Access Connections? Thanks!
>

> Go to Start | Network Connections
> Click on the Wireless Connection and choose Properties
> Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> setting" box. Click on OK.
> Click once on the IBM Access Connections icon in the tray and choose Launch IBM
> Access Connections.
> Click on Manage profiles and go from there.
> Good luck!

I figured out a Windows snafu. If you have a wired and WiFi connection,
disconnect from the wired, it switches over to WiFi. Then when you
redock the laptop, it still uses the WiFi.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad (More info?)

Pop a cmd box. Run

c:\>route /?

Play with the IF (interface), and possibly metric.
When you get it switching the way you want, write
it up in a pair of .cmd scripts, one to switch to
wifi, one to switch to ethernet. IFs may not be
simply 1 for wired, 2 for wifi, ... it may be 1 for
wired, 10003 for wifi, or whatever. There may be
other, easier ways.

MH- [Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:26:29 -0400]:
>I figured out a Windows snafu. If you have a wired and WiFi connection,
>disconnect from the wired, it switches over to WiFi. Then when you
>redock the laptop, it still uses the WiFi.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for mobiles

* * Chas wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message
> | I have an IBM ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP SP2, and I have two
> | network adapters:
> |
> | 1. Intel PRO/1000 MT
> | 2. Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> |
> | I have the adapters set to IP xxx.xxx.x.3 and xxx.xxx.x.4,
> respectively.
> | For network bindings, I have the LAN set first, then WiFi. The
> | problem is, when the laptop is in its dock, where it should have a
> wired
> | connection, it uses WiFi instead. If I set both adapters to the same
> | IP, such as IP xxx.xxx.x.3, and the laptop is in its dock, it uses the
> | wired network, as the WiFi connection cannot setup its IP. How can I
> | get Windows XP to use the wired connection when present, and only the
> | WiFi as a fallback? Thanks.
>
> You can manually enable and disable both adapters. Also, there is a
> bridge feature that should control the adapters. Right click on My
> Networks (or whatever the fools in Redmond call it) desktop icon and
> choose Properties. Look for the Wired, Wireless and Bridge icons and
> right click on them to check their status.
>
> Chas.

Can you go into the Bridge feature in more detail? I was told by IBM to
set both adapters to dynamic IP, set the bridge to static IP (my network
is static), and that should work. When I rebooted the PC though, I
couldn't connect to the network, as it stated that the static IP for the
bridge was already in use by the network. Could have been each network
adapter fighting over the single IP address. Should I have an IP
address set for each network adapter as well as the bridge? Thanks.

"M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:WpSdnSSBfvUZmnnfRVn-jA@gwi.net...

> I figured out a Windows snafu. If you have a wired and WiFi connection, disconnect
> from the wired, it switches over to WiFi. Then when you redock the laptop, it
> still uses the WiFi.

I switch between a variety of wired and wireless connections several times a day and
don't have this problem.
There are many other settings in IBM Connection Manager, for instance:
Automatically Use the adapter with the fastest available network
connection/Automatically use the adapter with the highest defined priority level.
Pick one.
And
Disconnect from the wireless network and turn off any wireless radios associated with
this profile when I switch to a different location profile.

(all on the Adapter tab.)

Investigate also the settings on the Wireless tab .
Perhaps you need to upgrade your Connection Manager..?

Good luck!

--

eM eL wrote:
> "M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:WpSdnSSBfvUZmnnfRVn-jA@gwi.net...
>

>>I figured out a Windows snafu. If you have a wired and WiFi connection, disconnect
>>from the wired, it switches over to WiFi. Then when you redock the laptop, it
>>still uses the WiFi.
>

> I switch between a variety of wired and wireless connections several times a day and
> don't have this problem.
> There are many other settings in IBM Connection Manager, for instance:
> Automatically Use the adapter with the fastest available network
> connection/Automatically use the adapter with the highest defined priority level.
> Pick one.
> And
> Disconnect from the wireless network and turn off any wireless radios associated with
> this profile when I switch to a different location profile.
>
> (all on the Adapter tab.)
>
> Investigate also the settings on the Wireless tab .
> Perhaps you need to upgrade your Connection Manager..?
>
> Good luck!

I'm not currently using IBM Access Connections. My understanding, from
what I was told by IBM tech support, is that you must manually switch
between wired and WiFI when using IBM Access Connections. In any case,
IBM Access Connections is fiendishly difficult to configure properly,
and the Indian or whatever he was wasn't any help. IBM Access
Connections is the latest release, 3.71. Although the only way I can
figure to get into the thing is to use the "Access IBM" button, do a
keyword search, and open it from the Help Page. So it's not what you'd
call user-friendly at all.

M.H. wrote:

> I'm not currently using IBM Access Connections. My understanding, from
> what I was told by IBM tech support, is that you must manually switch
> between wired and WiFI when using IBM Access Connections. In any case,
> IBM Access Connections is fiendishly difficult to configure properly,
> and the Indian or whatever he was wasn't any help. IBM Access
> Connections is the latest release, 3.71. Although the only way I can
> figure to get into the thing is to use the "Access IBM" button, do a
> keyword search, and open it from the Help Page. So it's not what you'd
> call user-friendly at all.

Actually, you can have Access Connections automatically switch between
network adapters under the conditions you define, if you set it up
correctly. My system will turn off the wireless radio and switch to
Ethernet if it detects an Ethernet connection. If I disconnect the
Ethernet it will then turn on the wireless and connect to my 802.11g
network (and prompts me for permission to do so). If I boot it without
an Ethernet connection, it will automatically try to connect to the
wireless networks I have configured, according to the criteria I have
defined. It will also switch default printers, change your browser home
page, run applications, etc. according to the location detected. A few
minutes of experimentation was all that was required to figure out the
set-up. All in all, I think it is a pretty nice piece of work and I have
had a pretty good experience with it.

--
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only

"M.H." <none@none.com> wrote in message news:6YCdnafw0Y5X_HnfRVn-iQ@gwi.net...
> I'm not currently using IBM Access Connections. My understanding, from what I was
> told by IBM tech support, is that you must manually switch between wired and WiFI
> when using IBM Access Connections. In any case, IBM Access Connections is
> fiendishly difficult to configure properly, and the Indian or whatever he was
> wasn't any help. IBM Access Connections is the latest release, 3.71. Although the
> only way I can figure to get into the thing is to use the "Access IBM" button, do a
> keyword search, and open it from the Help Page. So it's not what you'd call
> user-friendly at all.

If so, your ThinkPad seems to have big configuration problems. Normally, Access
Connections loads on startup. Edit your registry (or use msconfig) to add
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE
and
C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
(assuming, that your programs are in default locations)

Or - better - use the IBM software installer to reinstall/update all your IBM
utilities and drivers.

I used to manage 1000 + of very mobile ThinkPad users and Access Connections worked
fine for us to manage a multitude wired and wireless connections without any problems
you've described.

--

M.H. wrote:

> I'm not currently using IBM Access Connections. My understanding,
> from what I was told by IBM tech support, is that you must manually
> switch between wired and WiFI when using IBM Access Connections.
> In any case, IBM Access Connections is fiendishly difficult to configure
> properly, and the Indian or whatever he was wasn't any help. IBM
> Access Connections is the latest release, 3.71. Although the only way
> I can figure to get into the thing is to use the "Access IBM" button, do a
> keyword search, and open it from the Help Page. So it's not what
> you'd call user-friendly at all.

(1) IBM Access Connections is not fiendishly difficult to configure.
There is a profile wizard for creating as many location profiles as you
want, whether wired (ethernet) or wireless (WiFi).

(2) You do not need to manually switch between wired and WiFi when
using Access Connections. Simply click on "Location Switching" on the
top menu bar and click on "Switch Ethernet and Wireless Location
Profiles Automatically"

(3) To get into "the thing", go to Start > All Programs > Access IBM >
IBM Access Connections. On the top menu bar, click on "Options" then
on "Global Settings", and check the box for "Show wireless status icon
in task tray". (Note: you must be logged on as Administrator to change
some of the settings.) Now you will have an icon in the task tray at
the lower right of the screen. Just click on the icon to open the
program.