Window 7 Home Premium Partition Size Reccomendation?

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I don't have a windows seven OS before so I don't know the size of it and all that.
I'm going to get a Sager NP5160 soon and I plan to get WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 BIT as 2 partitions on my 320 GB Hard Drive.

1. OS partition
2. All the other stuff like programs, files, etc.

Can you recommend me a good size ?
I plan to use this laptop for 5+ years and no hard drive upgrade! :eek:

Good size reccomendation please. Thanks!

It depends to some degree on how much other software you also install on your system. If you don't install much of anything else then you could probably get by with as little as 40GB. Bummerman's 100GB suggestion is probably pretty safe unless you install a lot of space-consuming software such as 3D-rendered games.

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Well, I'm assuming you're talking about the software portion...
I just need to know the OS portion (1) please. Just to be future proof of updates, etc.
For the storage portion (2) , it really doesn't matter much.

So what should the OS part size be?
Win7 Home 64 bit.

and the only 3d like game is Drift City... think of it as NFS but online .... just 1.2 gb size so far....

A. If you are adept at setting up windows, you can be more conservative ...

1. Set temp files to another partition.
2. Set page file to another partition
3. Set user files to another partition
4. Set e-mail to another partition.
5. remove all the NT$ files after installing Windows Updates

B. Use program suites (like Adobe) ? These like to put "common files" on C:\ no matter where you put the programs
C. I have oft had this ....er...."discussion" with peeps I build for and 1 in 3 is back in 6 months asking me to resize the C partition.

D. On a 320 GB drive, I'd not go less than 64 GB. And yes, you will be getting drive full messages in 8 - 12 months which will require some maintenance if you're not looking out for things under A above. Also , put away your base 10 mindset and think in base 2 when sizing partitions. .... 32...64....128....256 ....etc