Explorer has caused a problem with OLE32.dll

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 16, 2005 8:41:01 PM

At startup I am getting the following error:

Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
Explorer will now close.

If you continue to experiance problems,
try restarting your comptuer.

If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but that
did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

--
Ray Campbell
Falcon Computers

There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
in the registers.

How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938

On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
WinME.
Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.

it may help to update your video driver, also.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
> At startup I am getting the following error:
>
> Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
> Explorer will now close.
>
> If you continue to experience problems,
> try restarting your comptuer.
>
> If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
> back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
that
> did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
>
> --
> Ray Campbell
> Falcon Computers
> Sayre, PA
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:17:27 PM

Here is the entire error message. Also as a note, the computer is not usable
at all. The only thing that can be done on it via windows is to click the
"OK"button on the error. When you click ok, you have about half a second to
do anything (cxtrl-alt-del, bring up the run dialog box, etc.), but then the
error comes up again and refrashes the screen back to the desktop. Even in
Safe Mode the same thing happens. So, as far as I know, I would be unable to
update the video driver. I appreciate your help with this.

Also, I have extracted a fresh copy of the OLE32.dll file from the original
cd. The system is a Dell Dimension 8100.

Error message:

Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.dll at 0la7:7ff21b42
Registers:
EAX=6ac3806f CS=01a7 EIP=7ff21b42 EFLGS=00010a87
EBX=90790a50 SS=01af ESP=005af7f4 EBP=11ce5021
ECX=005afc6c DS=01af ESI=00000001 FS=206f
EDX=cfa20bc1 KS=01af EDI=7ff225d0 GS=20be
Bytes at CS:EIP
39 02 74 03 33 c0 c3 8b 41 04 39 42 04 75 f5 8b
Stack Dump:
7ff5004e 005af838 005afc6c 7ff225d0 005af7f8
7ff52a3f 005afc6c 00000001 fffc8c99 005af9a8
80000000 00000088 018e464c 018e4648 00000000
018e0000

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
> in the registers.
>
> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
>
> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
> WinME.
> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
>
> it may help to update your video driver, also.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
> > At startup I am getting the following error:
> >
> > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
> > Explorer will now close.
> >
> > If you continue to experience problems,
> > try restarting your comptuer.
> >
> > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
> > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
> that
> > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
> >
> > --
> > Ray Campbell
> > Falcon Computers
> > Sayre, PA

June 17, 2005 7:58:37 PM

Whilst Jack is contemplating the implications of the full error message and,
as you can't even get very far into Safe Mode (not least, far enough to run
System Restore), you could try booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
and trying to restore your last 'Good' registry.

Boot, with your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose option 4) Minimal
Boot.

At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
between the g and /) then press Enter.

Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date BEFORE
THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.

Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
reboot.

Hopefully, that *may* get things partially working again - if only enough to
continue with Jack's further suggestions.

Mart

"Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BAA68492-A162-43BB-8A9A-35FDDDABB869@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
>> > At startup I am getting the following error:
>> >
>> > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
>> > Explorer will now close.
>> >
>> > If you continue to experience problems,
>> > try restarting your comptuer.
>> >
>> > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog
>> > comes
>> > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
>> that
>> > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:58:38 PM

Mr. Campbell, I concur with Mart. In fact, you may be in luck!

Over the past few days, a similar problem has been discussed for a Win98
machine. In one instance, it was resolved using scanreg /restore, just as
Mart suggests:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1118823524

Note that the desired path is C:\Windows\Command\scanreg.exe, while working
in DOS, following the boot from your EBD.

This information causes me to suspect a recent virus or spyware infection.
If you can get working again, scan for pests ASAP.

You may wish to consider running the IE6 repair tool in Add-Remove Programs,
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
> > 018e0000
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
> >> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the
> >> numbers
> >> in the registers.
> >>
> >> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
> >>
> >> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified
6/08/2000,
> >> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release
of
> >> WinME.
> >> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
> >>
> >> it may help to update your video driver, also.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:58:38 PM

Mart,

Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?

Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
workaround.

Thanks again everyone,

Raymond Campbell

"Mart" wrote:

> [...]
> > 80000000 00000088 018e464c 018e4648 00000000
> > 018e0000
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
> >> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the
> >> numbers
> >> in the registers.
> >>
> >> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
> >>
> >> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
> >> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
> >> WinME.
> >> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
> >>
> >> it may help to update your video driver, also.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:10:02 PM

The most successful workaround I know is a registry restore:

Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (space between G and /)

Press enter, select a date just before the problem starting and reboot when finished.

Zee

"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message news:o Kxvp7zcFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
> in the registers.
>
> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
>
> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
> WinME.
> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
>
> it may help to update your video driver, also.
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
> > At startup I am getting the following error:
> >
> > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
> > Explorer will now close.
> >
> > If you continue to experience problems,
> > try restarting your comptuer.
> >
> > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
> > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
> that
> > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
> >
> > --
> > Ray Campbell
> > Falcon Computers
> > Sayre, PA

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:18:44 PM

"Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Mart,
>
>Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
>booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
>more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
>the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
>there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?
>
>Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
>and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
>the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
>workaround.

If the most recent registry backup is from early April then there are
2 possible reasons for this:

1. The ScanRegistry item has been removed from your startup
configuration. Check this by using Start - Run - MSCONFIG and going
to the startup tab.

2. Your computer has not been used since early April, or has been
left running 24/7 since that date.

The ScanRegistry item in the startup configuration not only checks
that the registry being loaded is valid and undamaged, it also creates
a new registry backup the first time the computer is started up each
day, and maintains a library of the 5 most recent registry backups for
restoring.

Hope this explains the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:18:45 PM

Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :) .

Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.

Raymond Campbell

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Mart,
> >
> >Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
> >booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
> >more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
> >the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
> >there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?
> >
> >Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
> >and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
> >the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
> >workaround.
> >

> If the most recent registry backup is from early April then there are
> 2 possible reasons for this:
>
> 1. The ScanRegistry item has been removed from your startup
> configuration. Check this by using Start - Run - MSCONFIG and going
> to the startup tab.
>
> 2. Your computer has not been used since early April, or has been
> left running 24/7 since that date.
>
> The ScanRegistry item in the startup configuration not only checks
> that the registry being loaded is valid and undamaged, it also creates
> a new registry backup the first time the computer is started up each
> day, and maintains a library of the 5 most recent registry backups for
> restoring.
>
> Hope this explains the situation.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:41:24 AM

"Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
>computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
>then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
>though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :) .
>
>Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
>
>Raymond Campbell

Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
registry backups are kept reasonably current.

Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:41:25 AM

Yeah, if I was them it would be XP not ME, but since I'm not all I can do is
make the recommendation. Again, thanks for all your help.

Raymond Campbell
Falcon Computers
Sayre, PA

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
> >computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
> >then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
> >though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :) .
> >
> >Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
> >
> >Raymond Campbell
> >
> Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
> should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
> registry backups are kept reasonably current.
>
> Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:50:05 AM

Raymond, I concur with Ron Martell, and am happy you were able to get
running again. This could have been a real problem!

You may wish to review
Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;183887

Changes to the Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe) in Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273889

where you will learn considerably more about the inner workings of scanreg.

While we are at it, consider ...

"You can do a Files and Folders Search for scanreg.ini,
open it, and beneath the last line in the file, add the following <without
the quotes> "Files=10,vmm32.vxd". This will cause the Registry Checker to
back up vmm32.vxd. Had you done this, you would have 5 potentially-good
copies of vmm32.vxd in C:\Windows\SysBckup\rb000.cab + rb001.cab +
rb002.cab
etc."
Thanks to Mike Maltby for this tip.

While scanreg.ini is open, you can also increase the no. of backups it
makes,
eg., from '5' to '10'. Note that only five will be displayed by scanreg
/restore.
Moving the reg backup files in and out of the sysbckup folder, maintaining
five backups in the folder, will change which ones are displayed.
"How to Customize Registry Checker Tool Settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];183603

And if your family/client's machine will support XP Home, I urge you to
suggest that they migrate to it for multiple reasons.
Congratulations on your good luck with the OLE32.dll problem, for which
there is little in print.
message news:FA339AE6-1D01-493B-8264-716922E85FE1@microsoft.com...
> Yeah, if I was them it would be XP not ME, but since I'm not all I can do
is
> make the recommendation. Again, thanks for all your help.
>
> Raymond Campbell
> Falcon Computers
> Sayre, PA
>
> "Ron Martell" wrote:
>
> > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
> > >computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7
since
> > >then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that
long
> > >though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :) .
> > >
> > >Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
> > >
> > >Raymond Campbell
> > >
> > Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
> > should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
> > registry backups are kept reasonably current.
> >
> > Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP
> > On-Line Help Computer Service
> > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> >
> > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:50:06 AM

And more great info to log away for when I have to repair another poor users
Win ME system. I can't thank all of you enough for your help. You have gone
far beyond just solving the problem. I now have several tools that I did not
have before. Thanks again.

Raymond Campbell
Falcon Computers
Sayre, PA