Explorer has caused a problem with OLE32.dll

At startup I am getting the following error:

Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
Explorer will now close.

If you continue to experiance problems,
try restarting your comptuer.

If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but that
did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

--
Ray Campbell
Falcon Computers

    There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
    If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
    in the registers.

    How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938

    On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
    and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
    WinME.
    Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.

    it may help to update your video driver, also.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
    > At startup I am getting the following error:
    >
    > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
    > Explorer will now close.
    >
    > If you continue to experience problems,
    > try restarting your comptuer.
    >
    > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
    > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
    that
    > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Campbell
    > Falcon Computers
    > Sayre, PA

    Here is the entire error message. Also as a note, the computer is not usable
    at all. The only thing that can be done on it via windows is to click the
    "OK"button on the error. When you click ok, you have about half a second to
    do anything (cxtrl-alt-del, bring up the run dialog box, etc.), but then the
    error comes up again and refrashes the screen back to the desktop. Even in
    Safe Mode the same thing happens. So, as far as I know, I would be unable to
    update the video driver. I appreciate your help with this.

    Also, I have extracted a fresh copy of the OLE32.dll file from the original
    cd. The system is a Dell Dimension 8100.

    Error message:

    Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.dll at 0la7:7ff21b42
    Registers:
    EAX=6ac3806f CS=01a7 EIP=7ff21b42 EFLGS=00010a87
    EBX=90790a50 SS=01af ESP=005af7f4 EBP=11ce5021
    ECX=005afc6c DS=01af ESI=00000001 FS=206f
    EDX=cfa20bc1 KS=01af EDI=7ff225d0 GS=20be
    Bytes at CS:EIP
    39 02 74 03 33 c0 c3 8b 41 04 39 42 04 75 f5 8b
    Stack Dump:
    7ff5004e 005af838 005afc6c 7ff225d0 005af7f8
    7ff52a3f 005afc6c 00000001 fffc8c99 005af9a8
    80000000 00000088 018e464c 018e4648 00000000
    018e0000

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
    > If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
    > in the registers.
    >
    > How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
    >
    > On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
    > and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
    > WinME.
    > Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
    >
    > it may help to update your video driver, also.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
    > > At startup I am getting the following error:
    > >
    > > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
    > > Explorer will now close.
    > >
    > > If you continue to experience problems,
    > > try restarting your comptuer.
    > >
    > > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
    > > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
    > that
    > > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ray Campbell
    > > Falcon Computers
    > > Sayre, PA

    Whilst Jack is contemplating the implications of the full error message and,
    as you can't even get very far into Safe Mode (not least, far enough to run
    System Restore), you could try booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
    and trying to restore your last 'Good' registry.

    Boot, with your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose option 4) Minimal
    Boot.

    At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
    between the g and /) then press Enter.

    Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date BEFORE
    THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.

    Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
    reboot.

    Hopefully, that *may* get things partially working again - if only enough to
    continue with Jack's further suggestions.

    Mart

    "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BAA68492-A162-43BB-8A9A-35FDDDABB869@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ------
    >> "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
    >> > At startup I am getting the following error:
    >> >
    >> > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
    >> > Explorer will now close.
    >> >
    >> > If you continue to experience problems,
    >> > try restarting your comptuer.
    >> >
    >> > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog
    >> > comes
    >> > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
    >> that
    >> > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.

    Mr. Campbell, I concur with Mart. In fact, you may be in luck!

    Over the past few days, a similar problem has been discussed for a Win98
    machine. In one instance, it was resolved using scanreg /restore, just as
    Mart suggests:
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1118823524

    Note that the desired path is C:\Windows\Command\scanreg.exe, while working
    in DOS, following the boot from your EBD.

    This information causes me to suspect a recent virus or spyware infection.
    If you can get working again, scan for pests ASAP.

    You may wish to consider running the IE6 repair tool in Add-Remove Programs,
    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > 018e0000
    > >
    > > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
    > >> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the
    > >> numbers
    > >> in the registers.
    > >>
    > >> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
    > >>
    > >> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified
    6/08/2000,
    > >> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release
    of
    > >> WinME.
    > >> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
    > >>
    > >> it may help to update your video driver, also.
    > >> --
    > >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    Mart,

    Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
    booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
    more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
    the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
    there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?

    Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
    and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
    the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
    workaround.

    Thanks again everyone,

    Raymond Campbell

    "Mart" wrote:

> [...]
    > > 80000000 00000088 018e464c 018e4648 00000000
    > > 018e0000
    > >
    > > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
    > >> If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the
    > >> numbers
    > >> in the registers.
    > >>
    > >> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
    > >>
    > >> On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
    > >> and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
    > >> WinME.
    > >> Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
    > >>
    > >> it may help to update your video driver, also.
    > >> --
    > >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    The most successful workaround I know is a registry restore:

    Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (space between G and /)

    Press enter, select a date just before the problem starting and reboot when finished.

    Zee

    "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message news:OKxvp7zcFHA.2288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > There are many reported errors involving Explorer and OLE32.dll.
    > If we are to help you, we need the EXACT error message, down to the numbers
    > in the registers.
    >
    > How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938
    >
    > On this WinME machine, OLE32.dll is Ver. 4.71.3328.0, Modified 6/08/2000,
    > and so would appear not to have been updated since the initial release of
    > WinME.
    > Just to confirm, re-extract a fresh copy from the WinME CD.
    >
    > it may help to update your video driver, also.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:0A83B06C-A502-458C-966E-0B97019A4CB0@microsoft.com...
    > > At startup I am getting the following error:
    > >
    > > Explorer has caused a problem in OLE32.dll
    > > Explorer will now close.
    > >
    > > If you continue to experience problems,
    > > try restarting your comptuer.
    > >
    > > If I hit the close button the screen refreashes and the error dialog comes
    > > back up. I have extracted the OLE32.dll file from the original disk but
    > that
    > > did not help. I would appreciate any help someone could give me.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ray Campbell
    > > Falcon Computers
    > > Sayre, PA

    "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Mart,
    >
    >Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
    >booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
    >more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
    >the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
    >there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
    >and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
    >the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
    >workaround.

    If the most recent registry backup is from early April then there are
    2 possible reasons for this:

    1. The ScanRegistry item has been removed from your startup
    configuration. Check this by using Start - Run - MSCONFIG and going
    to the startup tab.

    2. Your computer has not been used since early April, or has been
    left running 24/7 since that date.

    The ScanRegistry item in the startup configuration not only checks
    that the registry being loaded is valid and undamaged, it also creates
    a new registry backup the first time the computer is started up each
    day, and maintains a library of the 5 most recent registry backups for
    restoring.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
    computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
    then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
    though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :).

    Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.

    Raymond Campbell

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Mart,
    > >
    > >Your suggestion seemed to have worked. At first it would not boot up, so I
    > >booted into safe mode; then rebooted and it seems to be working fine now. No
    > >more error message or anything. The onlything that I was curious about was
    > >the last available reg date. it was from back in April, early April, and
    > >there was only 5 or 6 choices there. Is that normal?
    > >
    > >Anyway, thanks for all your help everyone. Jack, thanks for your assistance,
    > >and let me know if there was anything different that I could have done to get
    > >the job done "more correctly"; since the reg restore seems to only be a
    > >workaround.
    > >

    > If the most recent registry backup is from early April then there are
    > 2 possible reasons for this:
    >
    > 1. The ScanRegistry item has been removed from your startup
    > configuration. Check this by using Start - Run - MSCONFIG and going
    > to the startup tab.
    >
    > 2. Your computer has not been used since early April, or has been
    > left running 24/7 since that date.
    >
    > The ScanRegistry item in the startup configuration not only checks
    > that the registry being loaded is valid and undamaged, it also creates
    > a new registry backup the first time the computer is started up each
    > day, and maintains a library of the 5 most recent registry backups for
    > restoring.
    >
    > Hope this explains the situation.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
    >computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
    >then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
    >though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :).
    >
    >Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
    >
    >Raymond Campbell

    Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
    should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
    registry backups are kept reasonably current.

    Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Yeah, if I was them it would be XP not ME, but since I'm not all I can do is
    make the recommendation. Again, thanks for all your help.

    Raymond Campbell
    Falcon Computers
    Sayre, PA

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
    > >computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7 since
    > >then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that long
    > >though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :).
    > >
    > >Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
    > >
    > >Raymond Campbell
    > >
    > Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
    > should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
    > registry backups are kept reasonably current.
    >
    > Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Raymond, I concur with Ron Martell, and am happy you were able to get
    running again. This could have been a real problem!

    You may wish to review
    Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;183887

    Changes to the Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe) in Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273889

    where you will learn considerably more about the inner workings of scanreg.

    While we are at it, consider ...

    "You can do a Files and Folders Search for scanreg.ini,
    open it, and beneath the last line in the file, add the following <without
    the quotes> "Files=10,vmm32.vxd". This will cause the Registry Checker to
    back up vmm32.vxd. Had you done this, you would have 5 potentially-good
    copies of vmm32.vxd in C:\Windows\SysBckup\rb000.cab + rb001.cab +
    rb002.cab
    etc."
    Thanks to Mike Maltby for this tip.

    While scanreg.ini is open, you can also increase the no. of backups it
    makes,
    eg., from '5' to '10'. Note that only five will be displayed by scanreg
    /restore.
    Moving the reg backup files in and out of the sysbckup folder, maintaining
    five backups in the folder, will change which ones are displayed.
    "How to Customize Registry Checker Tool Settings"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];183603

    And if your family/client's machine will support XP Home, I urge you to
    suggest that they migrate to it for multiple reasons.
    Congratulations on your good luck with the OLE32.dll problem, for which
    there is little in print.
    message news:FA339AE6-1D01-493B-8264-716922E85FE1@microsoft.com...
    > Yeah, if I was them it would be XP not ME, but since I'm not all I can do
    is
    > make the recommendation. Again, thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Raymond Campbell
    > Falcon Computers
    > Sayre, PA
    >
    > "Ron Martell" wrote:
    >
    > > "Raymond Campbell" <RaymondCampbell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Thanks for the info Ron. From what I know of the family that uses the
    > > >computer, I believe that it is possible that it was left running 24/7
    since
    > > >then. I do find it surprising that it actually remained stable for that
    long
    > > >though. I guess miracles can happen to computers too :).
    > > >
    > > >Thanks again to all who helped and put in time to fix my problem.
    > > >
    > > >Raymond Campbell
    > > >
    > > Windows Me (and Windows 95/98) machines that are left running 24/7
    > > should be rebooted at least once a week, if only to ensure that
    > > registry backups are kept reasonably current.
    > >
    > > Perioding reboots also helps to avoid problems with system resources.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >

    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    And more great info to log away for when I have to repair another poor users
    Win ME system. I can't thank all of you enough for your help. You have gone
    far beyond just solving the problem. I now have several tools that I did not
    have before. Thanks again.

    Raymond Campbell
    Falcon Computers
    Sayre, PA