No Desktop

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 17, 2005 2:14:09 PM

Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a black
screen instead..
On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
Everything else seems to be working allright.
What happened and how to fix?

Harry.

More about : desktop

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:04:35 PM

PS:

This is only supposed to happen to Win2000 according to Microsoft Help and
Support.
Why did it occur with WinME?
Curious.

Harry.

> Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a
black
> screen instead..
> On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
> Everything else seems to be working allright.
> What happened and how to fix?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:23:27 PM

Don't you find System Restore a wonderful and most useful tool. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...

> Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a
> black
> screen instead..
> On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
> Everything else seems to be working allright.
> What happened and how to fix?
June 17, 2005 7:23:28 PM

I started implicating this feature, when I thought of first checking here,
just to be sure.
Thanks Mike.

Harry.

> Don't you find System Restore a wonderful and most useful tool. :-)
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...
>
> > Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a
> > black
> > screen instead..
> > On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
> > Everything else seems to be working allright.
> > What happened and how to fix?

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:23:29 PM

Oooops, I meant implementing, of course.
And SR is one heck of a bail-out.

Harry.

> I started implicating this feature, when I thought of first checking here,
> just to be sure.
> Thanks Mike.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Don't you find System Restore a wonderful and most useful tool. :-)
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...
> >
> > > Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a
> > > black
> > > screen instead..
> > > On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show
Picture".
> > > Everything else seems to be working allright.
> > > What happened and how to fix?

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 7:25:05 PM

Maybe a registry restore will do it:

Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (space between G and /)

Press enter, select a date just before the problem starting and reboot when finished.

The other option is System Restore.

Zee

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message news:eJlh6a0cFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a black
> screen instead..
> On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
> Everything else seems to be working allright.
> What happened and how to fix?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:13:32 PM

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...

> PS:
>
> This is only supposed to happen to Win2000 according to Microsoft Help
> and
> Support.
> Why did it occur with WinME?
> Curious.

Harry,

Just what are you chattering on about? "only supposed to happen"? To be
perfectly frank I'd suggest that "it" is not supposed to happen regardless
of the operating system in use and that you just happen to have come
across an article intended for those running Win2K.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Nothing to do with "chattering", Mike.
My question was, why did it happen and when I searched in Google after the
fall, this came up, leaving me with the assumption that it only happens in
Win2000.
Hence my ps-message.
Do the causes for Win2000 also apply for WinME?
In other words, do the same resolutions for this problem also apply for
WinME?
I already restored my system, but still would like to know what causes this
behavior.

Harry.

news:o KlCge1cFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote ...
> >
> > PS:
> >
> > This is only supposed to happen to Win2000 according to Microsoft Help
> > and
> > Support.
> > Why did it occur with WinME?
> > Curious.
>
> Harry,
>
> Just what are you chattering on about? "only supposed to happen"? To be
> perfectly frank I'd suggest that "it" is not supposed to happen regardless
> of the operating system in use and that you just happen to have come
> across an article intended for those running Win2K.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:19:50 PM

Harry,

I thought that after all this time you had learned enough to explain what
you are talking about. Seems I was wrong. You really do need to explain
what you are referring to otherwise everyone is the dark. So, for
example, if you are referring to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article post
the article number and perhaps even a URL to the article so that others
can also read the article and understand and perhaps help you with your
problem.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in l...

> Nothing to do with "chattering", Mike.
> My question was, why did it happen and when I searched in Google after
> the
> fall, this came up, leaving me with the assumption that it only happens
> in
> Win2000.
> Hence my ps-message.
> Do the causes for Win2000 also apply for WinME?
> In other words, do the same resolutions for this problem also apply for
> WinME?
> I already restored my system, but still would like to know what causes
> this
> behavior.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:19:51 PM

Harry,
Did your desktop pic disappear last night while using the machine or
upon booting today? Now.....think very hard about what you did just prior
to the issue taking place.........did you run any sort of "cleaner", do any
sort of regedit, add any programs, remove any programs, etc.? What happens
if you go back and reset your desktop background, does it stick? What have
you tried to remedy the issue? What were the results?
I have a real suspicion that you may have done some cleaning that
involved the removal of, for instance, registry streams. Although
removable, it can/will remove certain system settings that will have to be
replaced to get back to your norm. As Mike said, SR would be a good start
and Oops! suggestion of scanreg /restore may be of value.
In any case, the more info you provide, the easier it will be for
someone to assist. If you don't get it sorted out, post back with intimate
details.
Heirloom, old and I seem to remember
intimate.

> Harry,
>
> I thought that after all this time you had learned enough to explain what
> you are talking about. Seems I was wrong. You really do need to explain
> what you are referring to otherwise everyone is the dark. So, for
> example, if you are referring to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article post
> the article number and perhaps even a URL to the article so that others
> can also read the article and understand and perhaps help you with your
> problem.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in l...
>>
>> Nothing to do with "chattering", Mike.
>> My question was, why did it happen and when I searched in Google after
>> the
>> fall, this came up, leaving me with the assumption that it only happens
>> in
>> Win2000.
>> Hence my ps-message.
>> Do the causes for Win2000 also apply for WinME?
>> In other words, do the same resolutions for this problem also apply for
>> WinME?
>> I already restored my system, but still would like to know what causes
>> this
>> behavior.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:33:18 AM

Doesn't "No Desktop" say enough?
Google linked me to "Microsoft Help and Support", saying "No ( or Blank)
Desktop after Logging on to Win2000".
This article was previously published under "Q256194".
Another link revealed this option as a remedy:
"Go into "New Task" and enter "Explorer.Exe".
This was in an HP Forum.
From my end this case is closed.
I can appreciate the way Heirloom talks to me.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> I thought that after all this time you had learned enough to explain what
> you are talking about. Seems I was wrong. You really do need to explain
> what you are referring to otherwise everyone is the dark. So, for
> example, if you are referring to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article post
> the article number and perhaps even a URL to the article so that others
> can also read the article and understand and perhaps help you with your
> problem.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in l...
> >
> > Nothing to do with "chattering", Mike.
> > My question was, why did it happen and when I searched in Google after
> > the
> > fall, this came up, leaving me with the assumption that it only happens
> > in
> > Win2000.
> > Hence my ps-message.
> > Do the causes for Win2000 also apply for WinME?
> > In other words, do the same resolutions for this problem also apply for
> > WinME?
> > I already restored my system, but still would like to know what causes
> > this
> > behavior.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:46:29 AM

Heirloom:

At this point in my life a lot of these details you mention escape my
attention. Everything happens so fast on the screen and in order to capture
those detailed moments, one would have to make notes of it, either in the
head or on a piece of paper, or both.
Some of the things you mentioned occurred to me and were being considered
before coming here.
I really apprecite your input and can tell you, that for now I have things
under control.
Thanks a thousand-fold.

Harry.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Harry,
> Did your desktop pic disappear last night while using the machine
or
> upon booting today? Now.....think very hard about what you did just prior
> to the issue taking place.........did you run any sort of "cleaner", do
any
> sort of regedit, add any programs, remove any programs, etc.? What
happens
> if you go back and reset your desktop background, does it stick? What
have
> you tried to remedy the issue? What were the results?
> I have a real suspicion that you may have done some cleaning that
> involved the removal of, for instance, registry streams. Although
> removable, it can/will remove certain system settings that will have to be
> replaced to get back to your norm. As Mike said, SR would be a good
start
> and Oops! suggestion of scanreg /restore may be of value.
> In any case, the more info you provide, the easier it will be for
> someone to assist. If you don't get it sorted out, post back with
intimate
> details.
> Heirloom, old and I seem to remember
> intimate.
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> >
> > I thought that after all this time you had learned enough to explain
what
> > you are talking about. Seems I was wrong. You really do need to
explain
> > what you are referring to otherwise everyone is the dark. So, for
> > example, if you are referring to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article post
> > the article number and perhaps even a URL to the article so that others
> > can also read the article and understand and perhaps help you with your
> > problem.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in l...
> >>
> >> Nothing to do with "chattering", Mike.
> >> My question was, why did it happen and when I searched in Google after
> >> the
> >> fall, this came up, leaving me with the assumption that it only happens
> >> in
> >> Win2000.
> >> Hence my ps-message.
> >> Do the causes for Win2000 also apply for WinME?
> >> In other words, do the same resolutions for this problem also apply for
> >> WinME?
> >> I already restored my system, but still would like to know what causes
> >> this
> >> behavior.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:54:47 AM

Oops:

I probably should have tried the SCANREG /RESTORE first in order to save my
System Restore for second choice.
But that will have to wait now till it happens again
(I hope not <bg>).
There seem to be other options, but that's also water down the drain and to
be kept for future reference.
Included with those options were the descriptions as to why or how it
happens.
Thanks.

Harry.

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o Czzrh0cFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Maybe a registry restore will do it:

Start > Run > type SCANREG /RESTORE (space between G and /)

Press enter, select a date just before the problem starting and reboot when
finished.

The other option is System Restore.

Zee

> Since last night my desktop picture disappeared and was replaced by a
black
> screen instead..
> On the webpages I have to click on those little icons to "Show Picture".
> Everything else seems to be working allright.
> What happened and how to fix?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:33:20 AM

Harry, it sounds like you may have lost the "Active Desktop" setting. Did
you see anything referencing that?

And I urge you to purchase an inexpensive spiral notebook to keep beside
your computer for just such events.
It will help you and us, if you keep precise notes, including dates and
times.
Esp. when using any registry cleaner, etc.

Your referenced KB article 256194
"No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256194

may describe what happened to you.

My WinME "shdocvw.dll", the "Shell Doc Object and Control Library", is Ver.
6.0.2800.1658, Modified 4/27/2005.
This is certainly not the WinME RTM version. I suspect it has been patched
several times for Windows security purposes.
If your copy became corrupted or was inadvertently reverted to a previous
copy, despite SFP, your situation may have happened.
SR would have repaired it. A scanreg /restore operation would not have done
so.

Attention to detail & persistence are the keys, Harry. You are doing much
better than when I first met you, so keep improving.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

> Heirloom:
>
> At this point in my life a lot of these details you mention escape my
> attention. Everything happens so fast on the screen and in order to
capture
> those detailed moments, one would have to make notes of it, either in the
> head or on a piece of paper, or both.
> Some of the things you mentioned occurred to me and were being considered
> before coming here.
> I really apprecite your input and can tell you, that for now I have things
> under control.
> Thanks a thousand-fold.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> > Did your desktop pic disappear last night while using the
machine
> or
> > upon booting today? Now.....think very hard about what you did just
prior
> > to the issue taking place.........did you run any sort of "cleaner", do
> any
> > sort of regedit, add any programs, remove any programs, etc.? What
> happens
> > if you go back and reset your desktop background, does it stick? What
> have
> > you tried to remedy the issue? What were the results?
> > I have a real suspicion that you may have done some cleaning
that
> > involved the removal of, for instance, registry streams. Although
> > removable, it can/will remove certain system settings that will have to
be
> > replaced to get back to your norm. As Mike said, SR would be a good
> start
> > and Oops! suggestion of scanreg /restore may be of value.
> > In any case, the more info you provide, the easier it will be
for
> > someone to assist. If you don't get it sorted out, post back with
> intimate
> > details.
> > Heirloom, old and I seem to remember
> > intimate.
> >

> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > > Harry,
> > >
> > > I thought that after all this time you had learned enough to explain
> what
> > > you are talking about. Seems I was wrong. You really do need to
> explain
> > > what you are referring to otherwise everyone is the dark. So, for
> > > example, if you are referring to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article
post
> > > the article number and perhaps even a URL to the article so that
others
> > > can also read the article and understand and perhaps help you with
your
> > > problem.
> > > --
> > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> > >

> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in l...

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:44:35 PM

Hello Jack:

Words can barely describe how much I appreciate your reply. To simply read
it is a pleasure, plus the wealth of information it contains in short terms.
As of now SR did the trick and my machine is back in business. I also
discovered the cause of the problem, thanks to Google's, your and everyone's
help, to be able to better deal with it.
Thank you, Jack.

Harry.

news:o UVQpE$cFHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > > sort of regedit, add any programs, remove any programs, etc.? What
> > happens
> > > if you go back and reset your desktop background, does it stick? What
> > have
> > > you tried to remedy the issue? What were the results?
> > > I have a real suspicion that you may have done some cleaning
> that
> > > involved the removal of, for instance, registry streams. Although
> > > removable, it can/will remove certain system settings that will have
> be
> > > replaced to get back to your norm. As Mike said, SR would be a good
> > start
> > > and Oops! suggestion of scanreg /restore may be of value.
> > > In any case, the more info you provide, the easier it will be
> for
> > > someone to assist. If you don't get it sorted out, post back with

June 19, 2005 3:18:27 AM

Harry,

I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but if this is about a .jpg you use as a
desktop wallpaper, you should make a .bmp copy of it. Then you don't need
View As Web Page enabled to use it.

Alterbatively Wallpaper Changer: http://www.wallpaperchanger.de/ will set a
..jpg as desktop wallpaper (and many other options) without requiring View As
Web Page to be on.

Shane

> [...]
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Heirloom:
>> >
>> > At this point in my life a lot of these details you mention escape my
>> > attention. Everything happens so fast on the screen and in order to
>> capture
>> > those detailed moments, one would have to make notes of it, either in
> the
>> > head or on a piece of paper, or both.
>> > Some of the things you mentioned occurred to me and were being
> considered
>> > before coming here.
>> > I really apprecite your input and can tell you, that for now I have

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 9:48:19 PM

Shane:

This sounds mighty plausible and will have to be followed up on. My time
with "the box" is very limited lately. Therefore you must allow me a little
"elbow room".
I'll clue you in as soon as possible.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Harry.

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >>
> >> may describe what happened to you.
> >>
> >> My WinME "shdocvw.dll", the "Shell Doc Object and Control Library", is
> > Ver.
> >> 6.0.2800.1658, Modified 4/27/2005.
> >> This is certainly not the WinME RTM version. I suspect it has been
> > patched
> >> several times for Windows security purposes.
> >> If your copy became corrupted or was inadvertently reverted to a
previous
> >> copy, despite SFP, your situation may have happened.
> >> SR would have repaired it. A scanreg /restore operation would not have
> > done
> >> so.
> >>
> >> Attention to detail & persistence are the keys, Harry. You are doing
> >> much
> >> better than when I first met you, so keep improving.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

remember

!