c-d rescue disc

hi,
i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d rescue
disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how can
i do this...bob

Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's

http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
> i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
rescue
> disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
can
> i do this...bob

Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios is
capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable to
set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
(admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
Heirloom, old and have slept since then

> Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
>
> http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi,
>> i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
> rescue
>> disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
> can
>> i do this...bob

Wow! HL - the topic of a bootable CF card!! That goes back some 3? years
<g>. But you are quite right - depends on the BIOS.

Tried to pursue it further on my XP laptop with USB option. Copied WinMe
floppy files to my USB Pen Drive and made it bootable. Boots-up as a
'normal' WinMe floppy but haven't worked out how to install (say) DOS 5 or
Win3x onto the PenDrive. That would be an interesting exercise.

Mart

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios
> is capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
> course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable
> to set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
> (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
> Heirloom, old and have slept since then
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>> Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
>>
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
>>
>> http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> hi,
>>> i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
>> rescue
>>> disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
>> can
>>> i do this...bob

My new XP box will boot to USB and it doesn't matter to the Bios whether it
is a CD, Compact Flash, etc. I did finally determine that my old Me box
Bios did not support such. IIRC, it was originally in an effort to put the
Norton AV Rescue <shudder> on the flash card. No worries on this box....I
have a Raid 0 array, made up of two 80G SATA 150's and backed up with
Acronis to a 300G IDE, plus another 80G IDE. Also have two different card
readers capable of reading multiple formats.
Heirloom, old and at least my box is speedy

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Wow! HL - the topic of a bootable CF card!! That goes back some 3? years
> <g>. But you are quite right - depends on the BIOS.
>
> Tried to pursue it further on my XP laptop with USB option. Copied WinMe
> floppy files to my USB Pen Drive and made it bootable. Boots-up as a
> 'normal' WinMe floppy but haven't worked out how to install (say) DOS 5 or
> Win3x onto the PenDrive. That would be an interesting exercise.
>
> Mart
>

> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>> Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios
>> is capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
>> course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable
>> to set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
>> (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
>> Heirloom, old and have slept since then
>>

>> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>>> Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
>>>
>>> http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
>>>
>>> http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>>> ------
>>> "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> rescue
>>> can

You are correct, Heirloom, in thinking that the BIOS must support a USB
device boot.
When it does, it makes it much easier to use a flash drive to maintain ones
DOS-bootable antivirus tools, since the signature files can be so easily
updated, cf. to any CD disk, or multiple floppy disk.