c-d rescue disc

hi,
i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d rescue
disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how can
i do this...bob
5 answers Last reply
More about rescue disc

    Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's

    http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm

    http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
    rescue
    > disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
    can
    > i do this...bob

    Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios is
    capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
    course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable to
    set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
    (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
    Heirloom, old and have slept since then

    > Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
    >
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
    >
    > http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> hi,
    >> i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
    > rescue
    >> disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
    > can
    >> i do this...bob

    Wow! HL - the topic of a bootable CF card!! That goes back some 3? years
    <g>. But you are quite right - depends on the BIOS.

    Tried to pursue it further on my XP laptop with USB option. Copied WinMe
    floppy files to my USB Pen Drive and made it bootable. Boots-up as a
    'normal' WinMe floppy but haven't worked out how to install (say) DOS 5 or
    Win3x onto the PenDrive. That would be an interesting exercise.

    Mart

    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios
    > is capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
    > course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable
    > to set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
    > (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
    > Heirloom, old and have slept since then
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
    >>
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ------
    >> "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> hi,
    >>> i have an external c-d writer and was wondering if i can make a c-d
    >> rescue
    >>> disc and make my puter recognize it, instead of floppy......if i can how
    >> can
    >>> i do this...bob

    My new XP box will boot to USB and it doesn't matter to the Bios whether it
    is a CD, Compact Flash, etc. I did finally determine that my old Me box
    Bios did not support such. IIRC, it was originally in an effort to put the
    Norton AV Rescue <shudder> on the flash card. No worries on this box....I
    have a Raid 0 array, made up of two 80G SATA 150's and backed up with
    Acronis to a 300G IDE, plus another 80G IDE. Also have two different card
    readers capable of reading multiple formats.
    Heirloom, old and at least my box is speedy

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Wow! HL - the topic of a bootable CF card!! That goes back some 3? years
    > <g>. But you are quite right - depends on the BIOS.
    >
    > Tried to pursue it further on my XP laptop with USB option. Copied WinMe
    > floppy files to my USB Pen Drive and made it bootable. Boots-up as a
    > 'normal' WinMe floppy but haven't worked out how to install (say) DOS 5 or
    > Win3x onto the PenDrive. That would be an interesting exercise.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    >> Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the Bios
    >> is capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming, of
    >> course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being unable
    >> to set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
    >> (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
    >> Heirloom, old and have slept since then
    >>

    >> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >>> Turn All Of Your Old Bootable Floppies Into Bootable CD's
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bootdisk.com/nero.htm
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >>> ------
    >>> "bob94030" <bob94030@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> rescue
    >>> can

    You are correct, Heirloom, in thinking that the BIOS must support a USB
    device boot.
    When it does, it makes it much easier to use a flash drive to maintain ones
    DOS-bootable antivirus tools, since the signature files can be so easily
    updated, cf. to any CD disk, or multiple floppy disk.

    > My new XP box will boot to USB and it doesn't matter to the Bios whether
    it
    > is a CD, Compact Flash, etc. I did finally determine that my old Me box
    > Bios did not support such. IIRC, it was originally in an effort to put
    the
    > Norton AV Rescue <shudder> on the flash card. No worries on this
    box....I
    > have a Raid 0 array, made up of two 80G SATA 150's and backed up with
    > Acronis to a 300G IDE, plus another 80G IDE. Also have two different card
    > readers capable of reading multiple formats.
    > Heirloom, old and at least my box is
    speedy

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > > Wow! HL - the topic of a bootable CF card!! That goes back some 3?
    years
    > > <g>. But you are quite right - depends on the BIOS.
    > >
    > > Tried to pursue it further on my XP laptop with USB option. Copied WinMe
    > > floppy files to my USB Pen Drive and made it bootable. Boots-up as a
    > > 'normal' WinMe floppy but haven't worked out how to install (say) DOS 5
    or
    > > Win3x onto the PenDrive. That would be an interesting exercise.
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > >> Just curious, Jack.......would this not be dependent on whether the
    Bios
    > >> is capable of recognizing a USB device as a bootable drive (assuming,
    of
    > >> course, that this external drive is USB). I seem to recall being
    unable
    > >> to set up a Compact Flash card as a bootable disk because my Me box
    > >> (admittedly, old) would not see the USB device for boot.
    > >> Heirloom, old and have slept since then
    > >>

    > >> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows