How to find the right hs/fan combo for a cpu?

Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
do?

Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?

Thanks for any info
6 answers Last reply
More about find combo

    It will depend on cpu size and the type of mounting bracket.ie,a socket A
    hs mount on a mobo is diff than a socket 939.Always buy a hs that exceeds
    your cpu size as far as cooling.

    "Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    > which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
    > do?
    >
    > Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
    > aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
    > slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
    >
    > Thanks for any info

    "Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    > which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
    > do?
    >
    > Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
    > aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
    > slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
    >
    > Thanks for any info

    Go to www.newegg.com

    On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one of
    the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever) you
    need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good selection of
    HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch the ratings.
    For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but only good for up
    to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that specific HSF would
    not be a good choice, though it still might work OK, if your case was well
    ventilated. -Dave

    In article <btlUd.6914$873.6340@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Dave C. <noway@nohow.not> wrote:

    >"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    >> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
    >> do?
    >>
    >> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
    >> aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
    >> slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info
    >
    >Go to www.newegg.com
    >
    >On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one of
    >the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever) you
    >need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good selection of
    >HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch the ratings.
    >For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but only good for up
    >to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that specific HSF would
    >not be a good choice, though it still might work OK, if your case was well
    >ventilated. -Dave

    The cyberguys catalog has lots of fans and heatsinks and IME
    is clear about what fits what. I like newegg but have never
    tried to identify a HSF on their site.

    www.cyberguys.com

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:17:09 -0500, Al Dykes wrote:

    > In article <btlUd.6914$873.6340@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Dave C.
    > <noway@nohow.not> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    >>> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers
    >>> site do?
    >>>
    >>> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I
    >>> am aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it
    >>> is a slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any info
    >>
    >>Go to www.newegg.com
    >>
    >>On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one
    >>of the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever)
    >>you need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good
    >>selection of HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch
    >>the ratings. For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but
    >>only good for up to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that
    >>specific HSF would not be a good choice, though it still might work OK,
    >>if your case was well ventilated. -Dave
    >>

    > The cyberguys catalog has lots of fans and heatsinks and IME is clear
    > about what fits what. I like newegg but have never tried to identify a
    > HSF on their site.
    >
    > www.cyberguys.com

    I will check out cyberguys and newegg.
    What is IME?

    Jerry Turba wrote:

    > Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    > which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
    > do?
    >
    > Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
    > aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
    > slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?

    Huh? By far, most heatsinks are socket specific. There is only a couple on
    the market that can be used with more than one socket, and those are
    limited to 2 or 3 socket types.

    What do you need such knowledge for? HSF combos aren't expensive, and
    compared to what you spend on a complete machine, very irrelevant in cost.

    --

    Registered Linux user #378193

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:09:57 -0500, Ruel Smith wrote:

    > Jerry Turba wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
    >> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers
    >> site do?
    >>
    >> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I
    >> am aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is
    >> a slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
    >
    > Huh? By far, most heatsinks are socket specific. There is only a couple on
    > the market that can be used with more than one socket, and those are
    > limited to 2 or 3 socket types.
    >
    > What do you need such knowledge for? HSF combos aren't expensive, and
    > compared to what you spend on a complete machine, very irrelevant in cost.

    The current hsf that I am using is starting to make a lot of noise and I
    want to replace it before it fails. It is a 1000Mhz P3 on a slot 1
    with a 370 socket. I don't want one that is too top heavy or large and
    might twist or loosen the slot 1 board in the slot. I also want one that
    is relatively quiet and good at cooling. I would rather not buy 4 or 5 hsf
    combos looking for one that fits. As always I will have to make
    compromises but I hope to buy one that fits and works.

    As per a response I received I am sorting through Neweggs listing. They
    sort them according to processor and socket type.

Homebuilt Hardware Fan CPUs Systems