Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to find the right hs/fan combo for a cpu?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2005 10:03:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
do?

Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?

Thanks for any info

More about : find fan combo cpu

February 27, 2005 4:14:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

It will depend on cpu size and the type of mounting bracket.ie,a socket A
hs mount on a mobo is diff than a socket 939.Always buy a hs that exceeds
your cpu size as far as cooling.



"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.27.15.03.45.884433@yahoo.com...
> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
> do?
>
> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
> aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
> slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
>
> Thanks for any info
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2005 6:14:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.27.15.03.45.884433@yahoo.com...
> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
> do?
>
> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
> aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
> slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
>
> Thanks for any info

Go to www.newegg.com

On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one of
the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever) you
need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good selection of
HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch the ratings.
For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but only good for up
to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that specific HSF would
not be a good choice, though it still might work OK, if your case was well
ventilated. -Dave
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2005 6:14:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <btlUd.6914$873.6340@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Dave C. <noway@nohow.not> wrote:
>
>"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:p an.2005.02.27.15.03.45.884433@yahoo.com...
>> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
>> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
>> do?
>>
>> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
>> aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
>> slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
>>
>> Thanks for any info
>
>Go to www.newegg.com
>
>On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one of
>the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever) you
>need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good selection of
>HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch the ratings.
>For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but only good for up
>to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that specific HSF would
>not be a good choice, though it still might work OK, if your case was well
>ventilated. -Dave
>
>


The cyberguys catalog has lots of fans and heatsinks and IME
is clear about what fits what. I like newegg but have never
tried to identify a HSF on their site.

www.cyberguys.com



--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2005 8:46:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:17:09 -0500, Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <btlUd.6914$873.6340@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Dave C.
> <noway@nohow.not> wrote:
>>
>>"Jerry Turba" <jturba@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:p an.2005.02.27.15.03.45.884433@yahoo.com...
>>> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
>>> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers
>>> site do?
>>>
>>> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I
>>> am aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it
>>> is a slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info
>>
>>Go to www.newegg.com
>>
>>On their cooling fans page, there is a search engine to the left. On one
>>of the pull-down menus, you can choose which socket (370, 478, whatever)
>>you need a cooling fan for. In the search results should be a good
>>selection of HSF solutions for whatever CPU you need to cool. Just watch
>>the ratings. For example, a specific HSF might be OK for socket 939, but
>>only good for up to 3200+. So if you had a 3600+ (if such exists), that
>>specific HSF would not be a good choice, though it still might work OK,
>>if your case was well ventilated. -Dave
>>
>>
>>
>
> The cyberguys catalog has lots of fans and heatsinks and IME is clear
> about what fits what. I like newegg but have never tried to identify a
> HSF on their site.
>
> www.cyberguys.com

I will check out cyberguys and newegg.
What is IME?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2005 12:09:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Jerry Turba wrote:

> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers site
> do?
>
> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I am
> aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is a
> slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?

Huh? By far, most heatsinks are socket specific. There is only a couple on
the market that can be used with more than one socket, and those are
limited to 2 or 3 socket types.

What do you need such knowledge for? HSF combos aren't expensive, and
compared to what you spend on a complete machine, very irrelevant in cost.


--

Registered Linux user #378193
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2005 9:48:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:09:57 -0500, Ruel Smith wrote:

> Jerry Turba wrote:
>
>> Is there a website that will let me plug some system info and spit out
>> which hs/fan combos would work, similar to the way the memory sellers
>> site do?
>>
>> Or am I mistaken and the hs/fan combos have a wider application than I
>> am aware of? For example will a P3 hs/fan fit any P3 regardless if it is
>> a slot 1 or socket 370 or whatever?
>
> Huh? By far, most heatsinks are socket specific. There is only a couple on
> the market that can be used with more than one socket, and those are
> limited to 2 or 3 socket types.
>
> What do you need such knowledge for? HSF combos aren't expensive, and
> compared to what you spend on a complete machine, very irrelevant in cost.

The current hsf that I am using is starting to make a lot of noise and I
want to replace it before it fails. It is a 1000Mhz P3 on a slot 1
with a 370 socket. I don't want one that is too top heavy or large and
might twist or loosen the slot 1 board in the slot. I also want one that
is relatively quiet and good at cooling. I would rather not buy 4 or 5 hsf
combos looking for one that fits. As always I will have to make
compromises but I hope to buy one that fits and works.

As per a response I received I am sorting through Neweggs listing. They
sort them according to processor and socket type.
!