Spyware?

Hi,
I am absolutely perplexed. I regularly update and run Ad-Aware and Spybot
and most often few if any problems are found, however, ZoneAlarm is
constantly asking permission for bizarre programs to access the internet (ie:
10vuga.exe). I always deny permission, but the program keeps starting so
that when I check to see which programs are running there ususally is a list
of about 5 copies of the bizarre program running. I have ended the task for
all instances that are listed, then went and deleted the program itself. No
matter how many times I do this the program starts up again. This situation
has happened everyday, but each time the program is a different one. Any
ideas?

BTW I am also running Spyware Blaster.

I am absolutely stumped!

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Rob

From: "rschneed" <rschneed@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hi,
| I am absolutely perplexed. I regularly update and run Ad-Aware and Spybot
| and most often few if any problems are found, however, ZoneAlarm is
| constantly asking permission for bizarre programs to access the internet (ie:
| 10vuga.exe). I always deny permission, but the program keeps starting so
| that when I check to see which programs are running there ususally is a list
| of about 5 copies of the bizarre program running. I have ended the task for
| all instances that are listed, then went and deleted the program itself. No
| matter how many times I do this the program starts up again. This situation
| has happened everyday, but each time the program is a different one. Any
| ideas?
|
| BTW I am also running Spyware Blaster.
|
| I am absolutely stumped!
|
| Thanks for any help/suggestions.
|
| Rob

Scan using Ad-aware SE and SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4 in Safe Mode.

In addition...

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } two batch files, four Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
On Win9x/ME the choices are; Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC
On NT4, Win2k, WinXP and Win2003 Server the choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the
menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thank you for your quick response and great suggestions. I tried the things
you mentioned and things got a bit better (less instances of unusual programs
asking for permission). Somehow I was able to get a-squared scanner (from
you possibly) and that did find several instances of malware. Hopefully this
will take care of the problem.
I can't thank you enough for all of your help.

Rob