is there anyway to run a non IEDE drive on a new computer

I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that I need. The old
computer is fried.

Fstop8

Philo

"fstop8" <shape@tele-net-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that I need. The old
> computer is fried.
>
> Fstop8

you mean an MFM drive?
no

you need to pickup another old machine

Dee

fstop8 wrote:

> I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that I need. The old
> computer is fried.
>
> Fstop8

Exactly what kind of drive do you have?

Is it a 1st generation IDE?

Is it MFM?

Is it RLL?

What the hell is it?

fstop8 wrote:

> I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that
> I need. The old computer is fried.

Post the model numbers of both the drive and the controller. The drive
type is either MFM, RLL, ESDI, or SCSI, and the drive probably plugged
into a controller card rather than directly into the motherboard. Save
that controller card since may be almost irreplaceable, especially the
MFM and RLL types, which usually lay down a low level format unique not
only to the particular model card but also to the version of the BIOS
on the card. Don't throw away the controller even if it's damaged
since damage is typically limited to the cheap, generic buffer chips
that any real computer technician can fix.

I'm almost sure you'll need a motherboard with ISA slots on it, and if
the controller is made for 16-bit ISA (has both a 62-pin connector and
a 38-pin connector in front of it, with a notch between them) rather
than 8-bit, the motherboard will need the ability to turn off its BIOS
shadowing, which causes problems for those controllers because they
possibly use some of the BIOS space for their own scratchpad RAM.
8-bit controllers don't seem to require this, but they can be
incompatible with the BIOSes of some 16-bit motherboards (AT, ATX, as
opposed to XT) and SMS OMTI controllers that use a small amount of
memory space as scratchpad. Another problem can be I/O port overlap
with the IDE controller built into most newer motherboards; either turn
it off in the BIOS setup, or set the controller card to uzse secondary
I/O port addresses.

Put it in an XP computer as a slave.
You don't say why it's fried.
If the HD is fried then you have a bigger problem that if it's just the
motherboard or power supply.
How about some decent info to give you a decent answer?

"fstop8" <shape@tele-net-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that I need. The old
> computer is fried.
>
> Fstop8

papa

So what type of drive is it? SCSI, for example?

"fstop8" <shape@tele-net-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have an old non Eide hard drive with some info that I need. The old
> computer is fried.
>
> Fstop8

The drive is a NEC -model #D3142 and the date is 1989. S/N is
8952603630 and part # 134-500558-531. The drive is connected to an
ISA card with the notch.

The drive is a NEC -model #D3142 and the date is 1989. S/N is
8952603630 and part # 134-500558-531. The drive is connected to an
ISA card with the notch.

The drive is a NEC -model #D3142 and the date is 1989. S/N is
8952603630 and part # 134-500558-531. The drive is connected to an
ISA card with the notch.

Sorry for the multiple posts- didn't get anywhere so I sent again. :eek:
:eek:

papa

It is an MFM hard drive. Here is some info:
http://www.nec.se/upload/I-notes/mfm2.pdf
Also, here is the pinout info http://www.ctips.com/hdst506.html

Are you sure the old data on that drive is worth retrieving? Will any modern
operating system even be able to read it? You might be forced to connect up
that drive to a computer of that vintage.

> Sorry for the multiple posts- didn't get anywhere so I sent again. :eek:
> :eek:

Dee

fstop8 wrote:
> The drive is a NEC -model #D3142 and the date is 1989. S/N is
> 8952603630 and part # 134-500558-531. The drive is connected to an
> ISA card with the notch.

That drive is a 42 MB MFM drive. The ISA card would be the MFM
controller. In order to access the data on the drive, you would need to
use the original controller, or an exact duplicate. Although MFM was a
common format, it seemed that each controller manufacturer implemented
the specs a little different. So, it was virtually impossible to swap
controllers and be able to access the drive without doing a low-level
format to make the drive compatible with the new controller.

If the data is really important, you should be able to find a used
motherboard with an ISA slot. Perhaps you have a computer shop in town
that would be willing to help you find a solution.