AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found error on startup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 18, 2005 10:43:36 PM

AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found

Anyone know what would cause this on power-up.

Suddenly started. Say "OK" and power-up completes, and everything seems to
work. Using "ME" and an IBM Pentium 3 system.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:43:37 PM

It's an AOL Instant Messenger file. If you use AOL IM try reinstalling
it, if not see if you can uninstall it. Also, make sure you have no
spyware or virus trying to use Instant Messaging to do it's dirty deeds.

John

OT wrote:

> AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found
>
> Anyone know what would cause this on power-up.
>
> Suddenly started. Say "OK" and power-up completes, and everything seems to
> work. Using "ME" and an IBM Pentium 3 system.

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:21:02 PM

OT:

FWIW the Motley Fool has put out a notice that hackers aim for AIM. It may
or may not have anything to do with your problem, but still is worth
considering, I thought.

Harry.

"OT" <Nomail@msn.com> wrote in message
> AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found
>
> Anyone know what would cause this on power-up.
>
> Suddenly started. Say "OK" and power-up completes, and everything seems to
> work. Using "ME" and an IBM Pentium 3 system.

June 20, 2005 4:43:22 AM

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> It's an AOL Instant Messenger file. If you use AOL IM try reinstalling
> it, if not see if you can uninstall it. Also, make sure you have no
> spyware or virus trying to use Instant Messaging to do it's dirty deeds.
>
> John
>
> OT wrote:
>
> > AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found
> >
> > Anyone know what would cause this on power-up.
> >
> > Suddenly started. Say "OK" and power-up completes, and everything seems
> > work. Using "ME" and an IBM Pentium 3 system.

Thanks John - It appears that AOL's un-install didn't quite get everything
out when I had trouble using AOL's IM and tried to get rid of it. It could
have been a virus messing things up - but based on my past experience with
AOL I am quick to blame their software. Anyhow, with much work and Norton
to fix up the registry - AIM is out of there and I won't go there again.

Still one problem left: on start-up, I get a box that says I am in
"Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode. Don't remember putting the
operating system in that mode, but I was trying lots of stuff. I can by-pass
the notice, with everything working OK, but don't want to be in "Selective
Startup for troubleshooting." Can you help me get back to normal start-up
mode. (This has nothing to do with going into "Safe mode." and the F8
start-up options - as far as I can tell.) OT
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 4:43:23 AM

OT:

In your System Configuration Utility under Startup you must have unchecked
one or more items.
You will have to either check it (them) again or eliminate it alltogether
(cleanup), if the program is no longer present or needed on your computer.
Hope this will do it for you.
Maybe John can provide more detailed instructions.

> "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> > It's an AOL Instant Messenger file. If you use AOL IM try reinstalling
> > it, if not see if you can uninstall it. Also, make sure you have no
> > spyware or virus trying to use Instant Messaging to do it's dirty deeds.
> >
> > John
> >
> > OT wrote:
> >
> > > AIM_XMLP.DLL was not found
> > >
> > > Anyone know what would cause this on power-up.
> > >
> > > Suddenly started. Say "OK" and power-up completes, and everything
seems
> > > work. Using "ME" and an IBM Pentium 3 system.
>
> Thanks John - It appears that AOL's un-install didn't quite get everything
> out when I had trouble using AOL's IM and tried to get rid of it. It could
> have been a virus messing things up - but based on my past experience
with
> AOL I am quick to blame their software. Anyhow, with much work and Norton
> to fix up the registry - AIM is out of there and I won't go there again.
>
> Still one problem left: on start-up, I get a box that says I am in
> "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode. Don't remember putting the
> operating system in that mode, but I was trying lots of stuff. I can
by-pass
> the notice, with everything working OK, but don't want to be in "Selective
> Startup for troubleshooting." Can you help me get back to normal
start-up
> mode. (This has nothing to do with going into "Safe mode." and the F8
> start-up options - as far as I can tell.) OT

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:44:52 PM

> OT:
>
> In your System Configuration Utility under Startup you must have unchecked
> one or more items.
> You will have to either check it (them) again or eliminate it alltogether
> (cleanup), if the program is no longer present or needed on your computer.
> Hope this will do it for you.
> Maybe John can provide more detailed instructions.

Re: Getting out of "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode.

The first step is finding the System Configuration Utility.

I need some step-by-step on this.

OT
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:59:17 PM

OT <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

> Re: Getting out of "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode.
>
> The first step is finding the System Configuration Utility.
>
> I need some step-by-step on this.

Start | Run, enter MSConfig in the box and click OK and there you are.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

news:o qlaEEbdFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> OT <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Re: Getting out of "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode.
> >
> > The first step is finding the System Configuration Utility.
> >
> > I need some step-by-step on this.
>
> Start | Run, enter MSConfig in the box and click OK and there you are.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:21:07 PM

news:o qlaEEbdFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> OT <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Re: Getting out of "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" mode.
> >
> > The first step is finding the System Configuration Utility.
> >
> > I need some step-by-step on this.
>
> Start | Run, enter MSConfig in the box and click OK and there you are.

Yes!

Thanks Mike. And "msconfig" was one of the previous selections - probably as
a result of my last chat with Microsoft folks in India, concerning a MS Word
problem I had. (I've got to take some classes on this stuff.) Thanks again!
OT
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:29:23 PM

OT <Nomail@msn.com> wrote:

> Yes!
>
> Thanks Mike. And "msconfig" was one of the previous selections -
> probably as a result of my last chat with Microsoft folks in India,
> concerning a MS Word problem I had. (I've got to take some classes on
> this stuff.) Thanks again! OT

Don't worry about the "Selective Startup for troubleshooting" message,
just check to acknowledge you've seen it and not to see it again and you
won't be bothered until next time you use MSConfig and make some changes.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com