Search File/Folder Feature

In the past when I used this feature the 'Containing Text' box would keep a
list of the files I searched for. It no longer keeps track of my searches.
How can I restore this feature.
Thanks.
RK

Are you perhaps using an anti-spyware product such as AdAware and deleting
these entries which will appear as an MRU List in the negligible risk
entries list when you scan. If so rather than deleting or quarantining
these entries choose Ignore.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In the past when I used this feature the 'Containing Text' box would
> keep a list of the files I searched for. It no longer keeps track of
> my searches. How can I restore this feature.
> Thanks.

No Mike, I didn't have anything to delete via Adaware scans.
Please post if you have any other thoughts.
RK

"Mike M" wrote:

> Are you perhaps using an anti-spyware product such as AdAware and deleting
> these entries which will appear as an MRU List in the negligible risk
> entries list when you scan. If so rather than deleting or quarantining
> these entries choose Ignore.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > In the past when I used this feature the 'Containing Text' box would
> > keep a list of the files I searched for. It no longer keeps track of
> > my searches. How can I restore this feature.
> > Thanks.

So what were the results of your following heirloom's suggestion?

Strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values in the
key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\ContainingTextMRU
and strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values in
the key
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU

Where HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

Note that to see these strings you have to type the first letter and you
should then be offered previous strings you've used starting with the same
characters. Clearing these two MRU keys via either a reg cleaner or
anti-spyware application is the usual reason for these values being
deleted.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the efforts. Will keep searching. It's just so much easier
> when you don't have to type the whole search field if it was
> previously done. Regards.

The second "Containing Text" should of course have read "Search for Files
or Folders named".

I blame cut n paste. :-(
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

> So what were the results of your following heirloom's suggestion?
>
> Strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values in
> the key
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
> Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\ContainingTextMRU
> and strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values
> in the key
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
> Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU
>
> Where HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
>
> Note that to see these strings you have to type the first letter and
> you should then be offered previous strings you've used starting with
> the same characters. Clearing these two MRU keys via either a reg
> cleaner or anti-spyware application is the usual reason for these
> values being deleted.
>
>> Thanks for the efforts. Will keep searching. It's just so much easier
>> when you don't have to type the whole search field if it was
>> previously done. Regards.

Thanks for explaining what Heirloon was referring to.
Re the Registry Keys I could not find them.
If it's not too much trouble could you tell me how to restore the two keys?
I do not have any entry in the logs for Adaware showing these keys.
If the restore is not possible, please know that your efforts were greatly
appreciated.
RK

"Mike M" wrote:

> The second "Containing Text" should of course have read "Search for Files
> or Folders named".
>
> I blame cut n paste. :-(
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Mike M <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:
>
> > So what were the results of your following heirloom's suggestion?
> >
> > Strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values in
> > the key
> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
> > Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\ContainingTextMRU
> > and strings entered in the "Containing Text" box are stored as values
> > in the key
> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer
> > Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU
> >
> > Where HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
> >
> > Note that to see these strings you have to type the first letter and
> > you should then be offered previous strings you've used starting with
> > the same characters. Clearing these two MRU keys via either a reg
> > cleaner or anti-spyware application is the usual reason for these
> > values being deleted.
> >
> >> Thanks for the efforts. Will keep searching. It's just so much easier
> >> when you don't have to type the whole search field if it was
> >> previously done. Regards.

If those two keys are missing then this is nearly always due to the use of
a registry cleaner and/or anti-spyware tool and the best way to replace
them is to restore them from the backup created when using the tool.

First though use Search File and Folders, look for something that clearly
doesn't exist such as willywonka and then, when the search is finished,
use regedit and search for the string willywonka in the registry. It
should be in one or other or both of the keys I mentioned. Now reboot, is
the string still present in the registry. If you were looking for a file
containing the text "willywonka" search should throw up user.dat which is
one of the files used to store the registry, specifically the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.

Beware flashing light!!!!!

Just a thought. Do you use TweakUI? If so have you checked the box
"Clear Find Files History on logon" on the Paranoia tab? If so then it's
doing what it says on the box. :) Now uncheck it. If not then try
installing TweakUI and then check that box, click Apply and then OK and
then re-open TweakUI and uncheck the box and finally click Apply and OK
and see if this resets things for you.

If you haven't got TweakUI the Win Me compatible version (1.33) can be
downloaded from Microsoft
(http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp)
and installed as follows:

Download to a folder with a short name (e.g. C:\Tweak), run to extract
components, right click on tweakui.inf and then install, close the help
window that comes up to allow install to finish. C:\Tweak can now be
deleted and TweakUI accessed via the Control Panel.

Just a few words of caution if you are new to using TweakUI on Win Me.
a) Do not change the first icon (My Documents) on the Desktop tab.
Doing this causes a number of script errors in Special Folders when using
either WebView or Active desktop.
b) Do not uncheck "Search Results" on the Desktop tab.
Doing this disables the Search in Explorer.
c) Do not hide the TweakUI icon on the Control Panel tab.
d) Do not uncheck "Show Control Panel on Start Menu" on the IE tab.
Doing this will prevent you from accessing the Control Panel including
TweakUI.
e) Do not uncheck "Shell Enhancements" on the IE tab.
This causes quite a few unexpected "problems".
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks for explaining what Heirloon was referring to.
> Re the Registry Keys I could not find them.
> If it's not too much trouble could you tell me how to restore the two
> keys? I do not have any entry in the logs for Adaware showing these
> keys.
> If the restore is not possible, please know that your efforts were
> greatly appreciated.

Hi Mike: Ran the 'willywonka' test. Showed up in both keys of the Registry.
Rebooted, then searched again, only found in the 'Files named MRU key.
Then I searched for willywonka via search files/folders - file not found.
I do have TweakUI, but that option was not checked.
So I checked, then unchecked followed by reboots both times, did not solve
my dilema.
Hey, thanks for trying. Will live with it.
Regards.
RK
"Mike M" wrote:

> If those two keys are missing then this is nearly always due to the use of
> a registry cleaner and/or anti-spyware tool and the best way to replace
> them is to restore them from the backup created when using the tool.
>
> First though use Search File and Folders, look for something that clearly
> doesn't exist such as willywonka and then, when the search is finished,
> use regedit and search for the string willywonka in the registry. It
> should be in one or other or both of the keys I mentioned. Now reboot, is
> the string still present in the registry. If you were looking for a file
> containing the text "willywonka" search should throw up user.dat which is
> one of the files used to store the registry, specifically the
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.
>
> Beware flashing light!!!!!
>
> Just a thought. Do you use TweakUI? If so have you checked the box
> "Clear Find Files History on logon" on the Paranoia tab? If so then it's
> doing what it says on the box. :) Now uncheck it. If not then try
> installing TweakUI and then check that box, click Apply and then OK and
> then re-open TweakUI and uncheck the box and finally click Apply and OK
> and see if this resets things for you.
>
> If you haven't got TweakUI the Win Me compatible version (1.33) can be
> downloaded from Microsoft
> (http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp)
> and installed as follows:
>
> Download to a folder with a short name (e.g. C:\Tweak), run to extract
> components, right click on tweakui.inf and then install, close the help
> window that comes up to allow install to finish. C:\Tweak can now be
> deleted and TweakUI accessed via the Control Panel.
>
> Just a few words of caution if you are new to using TweakUI on Win Me.
> a) Do not change the first icon (My Documents) on the Desktop tab.
> Doing this causes a number of script errors in Special Folders when using
> either WebView or Active desktop.
> b) Do not uncheck "Search Results" on the Desktop tab.
> Doing this disables the Search in Explorer.
> c) Do not hide the TweakUI icon on the Control Panel tab.
> d) Do not uncheck "Show Control Panel on Start Menu" on the IE tab.
> Doing this will prevent you from accessing the Control Panel including
> TweakUI.
> e) Do not uncheck "Shell Enhancements" on the IE tab.
> This causes quite a few unexpected "problems".
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> RatherKnott <RatherKnott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for explaining what Heirloon was referring to.
> > Re the Registry Keys I could not find them.
> > If it's not too much trouble could you tell me how to restore the two
> > keys? I do not have any entry in the logs for Adaware showing these
> > keys.
> > If the restore is not possible, please know that your efforts were
> > greatly appreciated.

RK,

Sorry to read that nothing worked. I wonder what's clearing that key on
rebooting and I'm fresh out of anything more to suggest. Sorry about
that.

Cheers,