ME blue-screen / reset

This usually occurs when switching pages in the Opera browser. And I'd blame
Opera for it, except that I had my son switch to using IE for a few days, and it
still happened and under similar circumstances. It's also happened a few times
doing things like opening Paint or saving a document in Word.

The system either gets a blue screen or just resets.

I put a pad by the machine so my son could write down the codes. The first one,
from earlier today, says the error is in IFSMGR(07)+000046ED with
Error:0E:0028:C003713D.

I've been trying to fix this for a few weeks now. Updated all the drivers
(video, e-net, USB, chipset, IDE) and it doesn't seem to have helped or hurt the
situation. Oddly (or meaningfully?) one thing that DOES seem to help is to
defrag the drive. The frequency of reboots seems to go down for a few days
after that.

So, I've tried a number of things, but I'm sure not everything. Ideas or
suggestions?

- Bill
27 answers Last reply
More about blue screen reset

    Did a little research on your issue and the consensus seems to be extracting
    a fresh version of the virtual device driver, IFSMGR.VXD, from you Windows
    disk or your .cab files on the hard drive. I'm on an XP box and can't
    verify, at the moment, but, IIRC this file should be in the Windows/System32
    folder.........I may be wrong on that, so, do some checking first.
    Basically, the articles I found pointed to this file having become corrupt.
    Heirloom, old and lovin' this XP box
    more every day

    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > Did a little research on your issue and the consensus seems to be extracting
    > a fresh version of the virtual device driver, IFSMGR.VXD, from you Windows
    > disk or your .cab files on the hard drive.

    I find three copies of IFSMGR.VXD, one each in:

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

    All dated 9/19/2000 @ 2:10PM, all 182K in size.

    > I'm on an XP box and can't
    > verify, at the moment, but, IIRC this file should be in the Windows/System32
    > folder.........I may be wrong on that, so, do some checking first.
    > Basically, the articles I found pointed to this file having become corrupt.

    Wouldn't the Date Modified have changed?

    Anyhow, since it doesn't seem it could hurt, I've backedup the one in VMM32 and
    replaced it with a copy from CABS.

    - Bill

    > "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > This usually occurs when switching pages in the Opera browser. And I'd
    > > blame
    > > Opera for it, except that I had my son switch to using IE for a few days,
    > > and it
    > > still happened and under similar circumstances. It's also happened a few
    > > times
    > > doing things like opening Paint or saving a document in Word.
    > >
    > > The system either gets a blue screen or just resets.
    > >
    > > I put a pad by the machine so my son could write down the codes. The
    > > first one,
    > > from earlier today, says the error is in IFSMGR(07)+000046ED with
    > > Error:0E:0028:C003713D.
    > >
    > > I've been trying to fix this for a few weeks now. Updated all the drivers
    > > (video, e-net, USB, chipset, IDE) and it doesn't seem to have helped or
    > > hurt the
    > > situation. Oddly (or meaningfully?) one thing that DOES seem to help is
    > > defrag the drive. The frequency of reboots seems to go down for a few
    > > days
    > > after that.
    > >
    > > So, I've tried a number of things, but I'm sure not everything. Ideas or
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > - Bill

    The System folder is Windows\System on 9x and Windows\System32 on NT, 'Loom,
    although there is a System and a System32 in both. That is, generally if
    it's in one on one it's in the other on the other.

    Shane

    "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    > Did a little research on your issue and the consensus seems to be
    > extracting a fresh version of the virtual device driver, IFSMGR.VXD, from
    > you Windows disk or your .cab files on the hard drive. I'm on an XP box
    > and can't verify, at the moment, but, IIRC this file should be in the
    > Windows/System32 folder.........I may be wrong on that, so, do some
    > checking first.
    > Basically, the articles I found pointed to this file having become
    > corrupt.
    > Heirloom, old and lovin' this XP box
    > more every day
    >

    > "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> This usually occurs when switching pages in the Opera browser. And I'd
    >> blame
    >> Opera for it, except that I had my son switch to using IE for a few days,
    >> and it
    >> still happened and under similar circumstances. It's also happened a few
    >> times
    >> doing things like opening Paint or saving a document in Word.
    >>
    >> The system either gets a blue screen or just resets.
    >>
    >> I put a pad by the machine so my son could write down the codes. The
    >> first one,
    >> from earlier today, says the error is in IFSMGR(07)+000046ED with
    >> Error:0E:0028:C003713D.
    >>
    >> I've been trying to fix this for a few weeks now. Updated all the
    >> drivers
    >> (video, e-net, USB, chipset, IDE) and it doesn't seem to have helped or
    >> hurt the
    >> situation. Oddly (or meaningfully?) one thing that DOES seem to help is
    >> defrag the drive. The frequency of reboots seems to go down for a few
    >> days
    >> after that.
    >>
    >> So, I've tried a number of things, but I'm sure not everything. Ideas or
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> - Bill

    The WinME IFSMGR.VXD is in Win_20.cab and is Ver. 4.90.0.3002, Modified
    9/19/2000.
    A copy should be in C:\Windows\System\VMM32, where it will be installed at
    boot, instead of any earlier version incorporated into vmm32.vxd.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    > A copy of ifsmgr.vxd would have been built in to vmm32.vxd when Win Me was
    > first installed I have some doubts as to a damaged copy of ifsmgr.vxd
    > being the cause of the Bill's problems however there's nothing to be lost
    > by his copying the copy of ifsmgr.vxd in his windows\options\install
    > folder to his windows\system\vmm32 folder just in case the copy in his
    > vmm32 folder has become damaged or alternatively reinstalling the 273017
    > hotfix.

    I did the copy last night.

    My son hasn't used the computer since then, so I don't know if it did any good
    or not.

    From what you say, I expect I could also copy this file from my machine, which
    isn't having ay problem (and is fully updated), if there was any doubt.

    - Bill

    Jack,

    Nothing curious in my view about having ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.0.3002 in
    windows\options\install since all that means is that you have installed
    the 273017 hotfix. If you look again you will find that many hotfixes
    place a copy of the files they update in both options\install and
    options\cabs so that these files will automatically be used in preference
    to those in the Win Me cab files if the user reinstalls Win Me by running
    setup.exe from the options\install or options\cabs folder (which depends
    on the media used when Win Me was first installed). This is the reason
    why I ALWAYS recommend a user needing to reinstall Win Me does so if
    possible by running setup from the windows\options folder rather than
    using their CD (or recovery disk).

    > How did you know that the 273017 patch updated IFSMGR.VXD?

    1) By checking my log files. I log all files changed whenever I install
    an application or apply a hotfix. This makes tracking changes and
    problems somewhat easier. I do this using a customised Win 98SE copy of
    sac.exe. Or, if I didn't log (but I do),
    2) By reading the KB, or,
    3) Searching the KB looking for ifsmgr.vxd and 3002.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > Thank you, Mike.
    >
    > This is curious, as my copy of ifsmgr.vxd in my
    > ...Windows\Options\Install is ver. .3002. I didn't look at the RTM
    > CD until you posted.
    > Doing so now, I see the CD version is the original .3000 file,
    > Modified 6/08/2000, as one might expect.
    > Presumably, running the KB273017 updated the Options\Install folder
    > as well as replacing the active copy of the file at ...System\vmm32.
    > I didn't expect that!
    >
    > How did you know that the 273017 patch updated IFSMGR.VXD?

    Bill,

    Personally I don't think the problem is likely to be with the copy of
    ifsmgr.vxd but if you do want to pursue this approach I would suggest
    downloading and reinstalling the 273017 hotfix rather than copying the
    file from your PC as the act of reinstalling the hotfix might just fix the
    problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Bill Leary <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

    > I did the copy last night.
    >
    > My son hasn't used the computer since then, so I don't know if it did
    > any good or not.
    >
    > From what you say, I expect I could also copy this file from my
    > machine, which isn't having ay problem (and is fully updated), if
    > there was any doubt.

    > Nothing curious in my view about having ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.0.3002 in
    > windows\options\install since all that means is that you have installed
    > the 273017 hotfix. If you look again you will find that many hotfixes
    > place a copy of the files they update in both options\install and
    > options\cabs so that these files will automatically be used in preference
    > to those in the Win Me cab files if the user reinstalls Win Me by running
    > setup.exe from the options\install or options\cabs folder (which depends
    > on the media used when Win Me was first installed). This is the reason
    > why I ALWAYS recommend a user needing to reinstall Win Me does so if
    > possible by running setup from the windows\options folder rather than
    > using their CD (or recovery disk).

    And why it's worth burning - from time-to-time - an Win ME installation disc
    using the contents of Windows\Options.

    Shane

    Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:

    > And why it's worth burning - from time-to-time - an Win ME
    > installation disc using the contents of Windows\Options.

    Indeed. :-)

    Mike

    Good idea, however, you just can't beat a full image backup on a seperate
    drive.......if you have the capabilities. I just found out the other day
    that the indelible markers people use to lable CD's have the potential to
    harm the media.....take heed, all you magical marker folks.
    Heirloom, old and many backups

    > Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> And why it's worth burning - from time-to-time - an Win ME
    >> installation disc using the contents of Windows\Options.
    >
    > Indeed. :-)
    >
    > Mike

    Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote:

    > Good idea, however, you just can't beat a full image backup on a
    > seperate drive.......if you have the capabilities. I just found out
    > the other day that the indelible markers people use to lable CD's
    > have the potential to harm the media.....take heed, all you magical
    > marker folks. Heirloom, old and
    > many backups

    I use BING (www.bootitng.com) not only as a boot manager but also for
    creating images of my system partitions and for any partition work I might
    need to do such as resizing.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Depends what you want, old spice! The CD will install a fresh, but more
    updated, Win ME. For instance, for the longest time now whenever I've done a
    fresh ME install, System Restore has worked from the off, on account of
    smgr.dll version 4.90.0.3003 gets installed, rather than the busted
    original.

    Meanwhile I'm happily continuing to use my DriveImage 2000 without problems,
    backing up to a seperate drive. But it's good to have both options. For a
    while it was redundant, when the Security CD came out, as you could update
    ME in five or ten minutes. But once again there are enough extra updates to
    install that a new Security cd is required (assuming there was a point to
    the first one!).

    Shane

    > Good idea, however, you just can't beat a full image backup on a seperate
    > drive.......if you have the capabilities. I just found out the other day
    > that the indelible markers people use to lable CD's have the potential to
    > harm the media.....take heed, all you magical marker folks.
    > Heirloom, old and many backups
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> Shane <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And why it's worth burning - from time-to-time - an Win ME
    >>> installation disc using the contents of Windows\Options.
    >>
    >> Indeed. :-)
    >>
    >> Mike

    BING looks like a great utility (just looked at it) and I'm sure, if Shane
    is using it, DriveImage is more than adequate. I have been using Acronis
    and quite happy with it. Whatever one decides to use, I still like having
    the image backup. While each has its' advantages and drawbacks, I like the
    ability of Acronis to place an image in a 'secure' zone that even the System
    cannot get to......this could come in handy for any 'nasties' that like to
    spread from drive to drive (since I don't have a removable external
    drive.....wife won't even let me buy any more software, :-(
    Heirloom, old and rarely gets to wear the pants

    > Depends what you want, old spice! The CD will install a fresh, but more
    > updated, Win ME. For instance, for the longest time now whenever I've done
    > a fresh ME install, System Restore has worked from the off, on account of
    > smgr.dll version 4.90.0.3003 gets installed, rather than the busted
    > original.
    >
    > Meanwhile I'm happily continuing to use my DriveImage 2000 without
    > problems, backing up to a seperate drive. But it's good to have both
    > options. For a while it was redundant, when the Security CD came out, as
    > you could update ME in five or ten minutes. But once again there are
    > enough extra updates to install that a new Security cd is required
    > (assuming there was a point to the first one!).
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
    >> Good idea, however, you just can't beat a full image backup on a seperate
    >> drive.......if you have the capabilities. I just found out the other day
    >> that the indelible markers people use to lable CD's have the potential to
    >> harm the media.....take heed, all you magical marker folks.
    >> Heirloom, old and many backups
    >>

    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    >>> Indeed. :-)
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    This is my first time to notice that any KB patch was updating the files in
    Option\Install, etc.
    I suppose it is just a result of the coincidence that this particular file
    is involved.

    Does this mean that the patch is replacing the entire Win_20.cab file, or
    can it overwrite the single file in the compressed archive?

    I suppose I applaud your diligence in tracking all file changes as you
    describe, and I now understand better why you sleep so little at night.
    This attention to detail is far greater than I've ever had the patience to
    do.
    How big is your finger nail clipping collection? <bg>
    > Jack,
    >
    > Nothing curious in my view about having ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.0.3002 in
    > windows\options\install since all that means is that you have installed
    > the 273017 hotfix. If you look again you will find that many hotfixes
    > place a copy of the files they update in both options\install and
    > options\cabs so that these files will automatically be used in preference
    > to those in the Win Me cab files if the user reinstalls Win Me by running
    > setup.exe from the options\install or options\cabs folder (which depends
    > on the media used when Win Me was first installed). This is the reason
    > why I ALWAYS recommend a user needing to reinstall Win Me does so if
    > possible by running setup from the windows\options folder rather than
    > using their CD (or recovery disk).
    >
    > > How did you know that the 273017 patch updated IFSMGR.VXD?
    >
    > 1) By checking my log files. I log all files changed whenever I install
    > an application or apply a hotfix. This makes tracking changes and
    > problems somewhat easier. I do this using a customised Win 98SE copy of
    > sac.exe. Or, if I didn't log (but I do),
    > 2) By reading the KB, or,
    > 3) Searching the KB looking for ifsmgr.vxd and 3002.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you, Mike.
    > >
    > > This is curious, as my copy of ifsmgr.vxd in my
    > > ...Windows\Options\Install is ver. .3002. I didn't look at the RTM
    > > CD until you posted.
    > > Doing so now, I see the CD version is the original .3000 file,
    > > Modified 6/08/2000, as one might expect.
    > > Presumably, running the KB273017 updated the Options\Install folder
    > > as well as replacing the active copy of the file at ...System\vmm32.
    > > I didn't expect that!
    > >
    > > How did you know that the 273017 patch updated IFSMGR.VXD?

    > I like the ability of Acronis to place an image in a
    > 'secure' zone that even the System cannot get to......

    A bit like placing it on a DVD or DVDRW as I do using BING although often
    I just keep the image on a different PC.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Heirloom <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote:

    > BING looks like a great utility (just looked at it) and I'm sure, if
    > Shane is using it, DriveImage is more than adequate. I have been
    > using Acronis and quite happy with it. Whatever one decides to use,
    > I still like having the image backup. While each has its' advantages
    > and drawbacks, I like the ability of Acronis to place an image in a
    > 'secure' zone that even the System cannot get to......this could come
    > in handy for any 'nasties' that like to spread from drive to drive
    > (since I don't have a removable external drive.....wife won't even
    > let me buy any more software, :-( Heirloom, old
    > and rarely gets to wear the pants

    Jack,

    Patches and hotfixes know nothing about any cab files and simply place
    copies of themselves in the locations I mentioned where they will
    automatically be used instead of the older copy in the cab file if the
    user then reinstalls Win Me by running setup from those folders. The
    hotfixes don't touch or modify the cab files. Note though that updates
    such as WMP9 and IE5.5 SP1 & 2, IE6 and IE6 SP1 are not added to these
    folders since these updates cannot be installed by simply replacing older
    files by new but instead need to be installed using their own installer
    for a number of reasons including the many registry changes that form part
    of the upgrade.

    Hope this clarifies this a bit.

    > How big is your finger nail clipping collection? <bg>

    BTW what's a finger nail? Regrettably due to habits entrenched since
    childhood I rarely have any to clip. :-)
    --
    Mike

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    > This is my first time to notice that any KB patch was updating the
    > files in Option\Install, etc.
    > I suppose it is just a result of the coincidence that this particular
    > file is involved.
    >
    > Does this mean that the patch is replacing the entire Win_20.cab
    > file, or can it overwrite the single file in the compressed archive?
    >
    > I suppose I applaud your diligence in tracking all file changes as you
    > describe, and I now understand better why you sleep so little at
    > night. This attention to detail is far greater than I've ever had the
    > patience to do.
    > How big is your finger nail clipping collection? <bg>
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Interesting, my has been ME timestamps are
    06/08/2000 5:00pm. Have you managed to resolve
    this problem yet ? I'm curious as I run ME and
    have been getting intermittent bsod since my last
    windows update.

    >I find three copies of IFSMGR.VXD, one each in:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    > C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\INSTALL
    > C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    >
    >All dated 9/19/2000 @ 2:10PM, all 182K in size.

    -- Keyboard not detected
    Press F1 to continue
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "TheRealFastlane" <fastlane@viawest.net> wrote in message
    > Interesting, my has been ME timestamps are
    > 06/08/2000 5:00pm. Have you managed to resolve
    > this problem yet ?

    Got rid of the BSODs by, of all things, clearing CMOS.

    > I'm curious as I run ME and
    > have been getting intermittent bsod since my last
    > windows update.

    I wasn't able to relate them to any update, download, or installation of
    anything. Could be, but I can't see any obvious connection.

    The reason I was messing with CMOS was that the ONLY connection I can see to the
    shutdowns is that they occur after the machine has been relatively idle, as in a
    web site is up and you're reading it, and then some action takes place, such as
    asking for the next page. So I was checking out the temperature sense/response
    page. I found that the shutdown temp was only a few degrees above the
    temperature observed while the BIOS setup screen for the settings was up. I
    wondered if perhaps it was SO close that kicking it into action was taking it
    over the line and shutting down. I'm not sure I mentioned this before, but this
    shutdown is hard. I have to turn the power supply off and on again before the
    soft-power switch will work. That also kind of sounds like a thermal response.

    The reason I had to clear CMOS is that when I changed the temp triggers up a few
    degrees the machine wouldn't boot. Had to clear CMOS to get it to boot at all.

    - Bill
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Glad I could help <g>
    How's your broadband working out ?
    Joan

    Shane wrote:
    > Thank you, Joan. Supportive as ever!
    >

    > Shane
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Glad I could help <g>
    > How's your broadband working out ?

    It's good, Joan, though no free Dereks. Tiscali don't serve this area, but
    the Tesco service is much quicker. Unfortunately I can't upload to my
    website via Tesco. But I can get 5 jam or apple Dereks for approx. 25p early
    evening!

    Shane
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Goodonya!! I wish I could quit. But unfortunately, it is not the reason
    > for my failing memory.....old age is. (G) The last time I quit, I gained
    > 15 lbs. and didn't lose it when I started back at it again. Vanity holds
    > me
    > back at times. Pure Addiction is the rest of it. How did you do it? The
    > patch??

    Gum, Figgington. The theory goes, you smoke for the discrete rush. It's what
    you miss the most when on the patch, which delivers a constant dose and thus
    no rush. So - given correct technique - the gum is easier to adapt to. You
    don't spend your waking hours wondering what you were thinking! Also, once
    adapted to the alternative delivery system, intake can be varied to suit
    one's mood, unlike with patches.

    I'm still trying to lose the avoirdupois though!

    Shane
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Zyban worked for me a few years back - until other pressures took over (4
    months) - A one-week intro course, and a month's maintenance, and I never
    'needed' a ciggy!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Goodonya!! I wish I could quit. But unfortunately, it is not the reason
    >> for my failing memory.....old age is. (G) The last time I quit, I
    >> gained
    >> 15 lbs. and didn't lose it when I started back at it again. Vanity holds
    >> me
    >> back at times. Pure Addiction is the rest of it. How did you do it?
    >> The
    >> patch??
    >
    > Gum, Figgington. The theory goes, you smoke for the discrete rush. It's
    > what you miss the most when on the patch, which delivers a constant dose
    > and thus no rush. So - given correct technique - the gum is easier to
    > adapt to. You don't spend your waking hours wondering what you were
    > thinking! Also, once adapted to the alternative delivery system, intake
    > can be varied to suit one's mood, unlike with patches.
    >
    > I'm still trying to lose the avoirdupois though!
    >
    > Shane

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Well done Shane, I sometimes wish I could give up then reach for another
    <g> I roll my own for the daytime and do wonder that if instead of making
    a load ready for the next day wait until I need one and see if that cuts
    down, probably not though as I'd just go and light up a normal one <g>
    Joan

    Shane wrote:
    > I'm about 1 week short of 1 year not smoking. But nicotine is good for
    > concentration and memory. Quitting is like a knife, it cuts both ways.
    >

    > Dr Beat
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I was thinking of being Mowgli. It would explain something.

    Shane

    --
    H<@
    > Well done Shane, I sometimes wish I could give up then reach for another
    > <g> I roll my own for the daytime and do wonder that if instead of making
    > a load ready for the next day wait until I need one and see if that cuts
    > down, probably not though as I'd just go and light up a normal one <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Shane wrote:
    > > I'm about 1 week short of 1 year not smoking. But nicotine is good for
    > > concentration and memory. Quitting is like a knife, it cuts both ways.
    > >

    > > Dr Beat

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Zyban? That sounds like the 'analgesic' I ponced off my pater a couple of
    years back when I didn't have dihydrocodeine. Bloody awful stuff, made me
    itch! So not so much an analgesic as an anti-depressant?

    Shane

    --
    H<@
    > Zyban worked for me a few years back - until other pressures took over (4
    > months) - A one-week intro course, and a month's maintenance, and I never
    > 'needed' a ciggy!
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Goodonya!! I wish I could quit. But unfortunately, it is not the
    reason
    > >> for my failing memory.....old age is. (G) The last time I quit, I
    > >> gained
    > >> 15 lbs. and didn't lose it when I started back at it again. Vanity
    holds
    > >> me
    > >> back at times. Pure Addiction is the rest of it. How did you do it?
    > >> The
    > >> patch??
    > >
    > > Gum, Figgington. The theory goes, you smoke for the discrete rush. It's
    > > what you miss the most when on the patch, which delivers a constant dose
    > > and thus no rush. So - given correct technique - the gum is easier to
    > > adapt to. You don't spend your waking hours wondering what you were
    > > thinking! Also, once adapted to the alternative delivery system, intake
    > > can be varied to suit one's mood, unlike with patches.
    > >
    > > I'm still trying to lose the avoirdupois though!
    > >
    > > Shane

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Son.....

    You have it right. It is one of the SSRI class of drugs (anti-depressants).
    The doctors found that patients taking Welbutrin (which is Zyban) were
    quitting smoking with great ease. However......a friend of mine tried
    desperately to stay on it but went nuts with itching!! Tried
    antihistamines, but finally gave up. It does have a lot of allergic type
    side effects, I understand.....so am not about to try it with all the
    blasted allergies I have.

    Cheers....Mum

    > Zyban? That sounds like the 'analgesic' I ponced off my pater a couple of
    > years back when I didn't have dihydrocodeine. Bloody awful stuff, made me
    > itch! So not so much an analgesic as an anti-depressant?
    >
    > Shane
    >
    > --
    > H<@
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Zyban worked for me a few years back - until other pressures took over
    (4
    > > months) - A one-week intro course, and a month's maintenance, and I
    never
    > > 'needed' a ciggy!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > reason
    > holds
    > > >
    > > > Gum, Figgington. The theory goes, you smoke for the discrete rush.
    It's
    > > > what you miss the most when on the patch, which delivers a constant
    dose
    > > > and thus no rush. So - given correct technique - the gum is easier to
    > > > adapt to. You don't spend your waking hours wondering what you were
    > > > thinking! Also, once adapted to the alternative delivery system,
    intake
    > > > can be varied to suit one's mood, unlike with patches.
    > > >
    > > > I'm still trying to lose the avoirdupois though!
    > > >
    > > > Shane

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No, my mistale (sic). It was Zydol - which is an opioid fladooboing, Had me
    worried there that I'd taken an SSRI so carelessly. I didn't have a car,
    either!

    Shane

    > Hi Son.....
    >
    > You have it right. It is one of the SSRI class of drugs
    > (anti-depressants).
    > The doctors found that patients taking Welbutrin (which is Zyban) were
    > quitting smoking with great ease. However......a friend of mine tried
    > desperately to stay on it but went nuts with itching!! Tried
    > antihistamines, but finally gave up. It does have a lot of allergic type
    > side effects, I understand.....so am not about to try it with all the
    > blasted allergies I have.
    >
    > Cheers....Mum
    >
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Zyban? That sounds like the 'analgesic' I ponced off my pater a couple of
    >> years back when I didn't have dihydrocodeine. Bloody awful stuff, made me
    >> itch! So not so much an analgesic as an anti-depressant?
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>
    >> --
    >> H<@
    >> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > Zyban worked for me a few years back - until other pressures took over
    > (4
    >> > months) - A one-week intro course, and a month's maintenance, and I
    > never
    >> > 'needed' a ciggy!
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)