Sound Card - Want to input both DVD & CD-ROM - How ?

Hi there,

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).

The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
very satisfactory !

There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
this produces no sound !

Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

Hope someone has done this and can advise !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve
4 answers Last reply
More about sound card input

    which os?

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >
    > The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    I don't see why this can't be done with just digital audio, sans analog
    input cables. However, you should also be able to hook up two analog
    audio inputs. This will allow use of the CD headphone jacks and also
    reduce CPU usage when playing audio CDs.

    > At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    > plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    > very satisfactory !
    >
    > There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    > Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    > this produces no sound !
    Most SB cards have at least two analog inputs, usually marked as such
    plus with differentiated with CD and Aux. You can use either one. But
    you must enable analog audio in both the Control panel (or CD drive
    properties) and Windows Media player ( which can be buried very deep in
    the windows depending on the version).

    > Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    > I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    > My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    > solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    > from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    Worst come to worst get yourself one of these-
    http://www.trianglecables.com/dualcdromaud.html

    > Hope someone has done this and can advise !
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Steve

    Hi there,

    I have solved the problem now, here is what I did :-

    The "Digital CD Playback" box in : Control Panel/System/Device
    Manager/CD ROM was 'greyed out' for both the CD and DVD !

    What I did do though is go to the "Volume Control Settings" in the
    Sound Blaster Audigy itself. This brings up a "Mixer Panel".

    The second from end control (Between the 'Microphone' and 'What you
    Hear' has a "drop down" feature at the top.
    I selected "CD Digital" then removed the 'Mute" tick that appeared in
    at the bottom !
    The Philips CD CDRW then burst into life and played the CD I had
    running in it.
    By the way I should have mentioned I an running Windows ME.

    Anyway, you helped me greatly and all is well now.

    Thanks very much !

    Steve

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:43 -0500, tomcas
    <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    >> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    >>
    >> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    >> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    >> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    >I don't see why this can't be done with just digital audio, sans analog
    >input cables. However, you should also be able to hook up two analog
    >audio inputs. This will allow use of the CD headphone jacks and also
    >reduce CPU usage when playing audio CDs.
    >>
    >> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    >> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    >> very satisfactory !
    >>
    >> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    >> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    >> this produces no sound !
    >Most SB cards have at least two analog inputs, usually marked as such
    >plus with differentiated with CD and Aux. You can use either one. But
    >you must enable analog audio in both the Control panel (or CD drive
    >properties) and Windows Media player ( which can be buried very deep in
    >the windows depending on the version).
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    >> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    >> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    >> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    >> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    >Worst come to worst get yourself one of these-
    >http://www.trianglecables.com/dualcdromaud.html
    >>
    >> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance,
    >>
    >> Steve

    You can also buy a sound cable that has 2 connectors at one end and one for
    the soundcard at the other!

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have solved the problem now, here is what I did :-
    >
    > The "Digital CD Playback" box in : Control Panel/System/Device
    > Manager/CD ROM was 'greyed out' for both the CD and DVD !
    >
    > What I did do though is go to the "Volume Control Settings" in the
    > Sound Blaster Audigy itself. This brings up a "Mixer Panel".
    >
    > The second from end control (Between the 'Microphone' and 'What you
    > Hear' has a "drop down" feature at the top.
    > I selected "CD Digital" then removed the 'Mute" tick that appeared in
    > at the bottom !
    > The Philips CD CDRW then burst into life and played the CD I had
    > running in it.
    > By the way I should have mentioned I an running Windows ME.
    >
    > Anyway, you helped me greatly and all is well now.
    >
    > Thanks very much !
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:43 -0500, tomcas
    > <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Steve wrote:
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
    > >> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
    > >>
    > >> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
    > >> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
    > >> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
    > >I don't see why this can't be done with just digital audio, sans analog
    > >input cables. However, you should also be able to hook up two analog
    > >audio inputs. This will allow use of the CD headphone jacks and also
    > >reduce CPU usage when playing audio CDs.
    > >>
    > >> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
    > >> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
    > >> very satisfactory !
    > >>
    > >> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
    > >> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
    > >> this produces no sound !
    > >Most SB cards have at least two analog inputs, usually marked as such
    > >plus with differentiated with CD and Aux. You can use either one. But
    > >you must enable analog audio in both the Control panel (or CD drive
    > >properties) and Windows Media player ( which can be buried very deep in
    > >the windows depending on the version).
    > >>
    > >> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
    > >> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
    > >> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
    > >> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
    > >> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
    > >Worst come to worst get yourself one of these-
    > >http://www.trianglecables.com/dualcdromaud.html
    > >>
    > >> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in Advance,
    > >>
    > >> Steve

Homebuilt Sound Blaster Systems