Sound Card - Want to input both DVD & CD-ROM - How ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 1, 2005 4:35:03 AM

Hi there,

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).

The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !

At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
very satisfactory !

There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
this produces no sound !

Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)

Hope someone has done this and can advise !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve
March 1, 2005 4:35:04 AM

which os?

"Steve" <steve@parity.demon.removethis.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>
> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
> very satisfactory !
>
> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
> this produces no sound !
>
> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
>
> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 4:35:04 AM

Steve wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>
> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
I don't see why this can't be done with just digital audio, sans analog
input cables. However, you should also be able to hook up two analog
audio inputs. This will allow use of the CD headphone jacks and also
reduce CPU usage when playing audio CDs.

> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
> very satisfactory !
>
> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
> this produces no sound !
Most SB cards have at least two analog inputs, usually marked as such
plus with differentiated with CD and Aux. You can use either one. But
you must enable analog audio in both the Control panel (or CD drive
properties) and Windows Media player ( which can be buried very deep in
the windows depending on the version).

> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
Worst come to worst get yourself one of these-
http://www.trianglecables.com/dualcdromaud.html

> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve
Related resources
March 1, 2005 10:10:46 AM

Hi there,

I have solved the problem now, here is what I did :-

The "Digital CD Playback" box in : Control Panel/System/Device
Manager/CD ROM was 'greyed out' for both the CD and DVD !

What I did do though is go to the "Volume Control Settings" in the
Sound Blaster Audigy itself. This brings up a "Mixer Panel".

The second from end control (Between the 'Microphone' and 'What you
Hear' has a "drop down" feature at the top.
I selected "CD Digital" then removed the 'Mute" tick that appeared in
at the bottom !
The Philips CD CDRW then burst into life and played the CD I had
running in it.
By the way I should have mentioned I an running Windows ME.

Anyway, you helped me greatly and all is well now.

Thanks very much !

Steve

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:01:43 -0500, tomcas
<tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card (5.1) and a Philips CDRW
>> 5200 "PLUS" a Pioneer DVR-109 (Player/Recorder).
>>
>> The problem is this : I would like to have the audio outputs from BOTH
>> devices connected to the Sound Blaster Card at the same time !
>> It is mainly to listen to music while I burn on the other device !
>I don't see why this can't be done with just digital audio, sans analog
>input cables. However, you should also be able to hook up two analog
>audio inputs. This will allow use of the CD headphone jacks and also
>reduce CPU usage when playing audio CDs.
>>
>> At the moment I have left the side off the computer, so I can
>> plug/unplug each one to the Sound Blaster board as required .. not
>> very satisfactory !
>>
>> There is an "Auxillary" socket on the Sound Blaster Board (says for TV
>> Tuner, MPEG or other similar cards) but plugging either drives into
>> this produces no sound !
>Most SB cards have at least two analog inputs, usually marked as such
>plus with differentiated with CD and Aux. You can use either one. But
>you must enable analog audio in both the Control panel (or CD drive
>properties) and Windows Media player ( which can be buried very deep in
>the windows depending on the version).
>>
>> Anyone any ideas how to do this ? or is it possible ?
>> I am an ex-electronics engineer, so soldering etc is no problem !
>> My first thought is to remove the 'pins' on one of the plugs and
>> solder the wires in parallel (maybe put diodes in to prevent feedback
>> from the 2 channels to the other drive ?)
>Worst come to worst get yourself one of these-
>http://www.trianglecables.com/dualcdromaud.html
>>
>> Hope someone has done this and can advise !
>>
>> Thanks in Advance,
>>
>> Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2005 3:57:27 PM

You can also buy a sound cable that has 2 connectors at one end and one for
the soundcard at the other!

news:D g4821d3s9n773relplcq5ms7g9cq1b8b4@4ax.com...

!