Computer constantly restarts.

HI I have this problem, My pc constantly restarts. totally randomly.
First I have a p4 3.06 ghz. I installed a Gigabyte Rocket Cooler Pro.
The Cpu got stuck to the old stock fan and when i removed it I bent A
few pins, I tried long and hard to bend the pins back, and was
successfull. Inserted the cpu and new fan and everything works fine.
I bought myself A new case CM Stacker transplanted my mobo over and
reconnected everything, but now my pc is restarting constantly, I
really want to know what could the problem be. Reinstalled Xp and
takes longer to restart now, but still restarts. I am dying here
could I have damage my cpu behond repair. Also A little thermal paste
went onto the pins, I couldnt remove it,for fear of damaging the pins
again, I am desperate, please help.

P.s. I suppose it is hardware for sure now, Checked out my ram using
memtest - no errors. I am monitoring my Cpu temp using motherboard
monitor, but here is where it gets funny, it shows that my cpu temp
is 32c idle, Use Gigabyte easy tune to check cpu temp aswell, shows
same thing. Then when I use Fresh Diagnose to check CPU temp it shows
90c and all of a sudden the temps on Easy tune and Motherboard monitor
jump up to 77c, wat the hell is this about, then when a close all
these programs and restart easy tune and motherboard monitor it shows
32c again. I dont know which one to believe. Oh and I check out my Cpu
There is some thermal paste at the bottom on some of the pins but not
allot, Could this be shorting out the Cpu.
5 answers Last reply
More about computer constantly restarts

    twisztad wrote:

    > HI I have this problem, My pc constantly restarts. totally randomly.
    > First I have a p4 3.06 ghz. I installed a Gigabyte Rocket Cooler Pro.
    > The Cpu got stuck to the old stock fan and when i removed it I bent A
    > few pins, I tried long and hard to bend the pins back, and was
    > successfull. Inserted the cpu and new fan and everything works fine.
    > I bought myself A new case CM Stacker transplanted my mobo over and
    > reconnected everything, but now my pc is restarting constantly, I
    > really want to know what could the problem be. Reinstalled Xp and
    > takes longer to restart now, but still restarts. I am dying here
    > could I have damage my cpu behond repair. Also A little thermal paste
    > went onto the pins, I couldnt remove it,for fear of damaging the pins
    > again, I am desperate, please help.

    Your system is set to restart on errors by default upon installation. These
    errors are usually driver glitches. To get rid of this phenomena,
    right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. Now, navigate to the
    Advanced tab and under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button.
    Now, under System Failure, there is a checkbox for Automatically Restart.
    Uncheck it and click Ok. You're done.

    --

    Registered Linux user #378193

    If excessive thermal compound was applied that it squeezed
    out the side, then you have created temperature problems. Of
    course any thermal compound touching pins means compound is
    conducting electricity from those pins. So you also have an
    electrical problem.

    The system is restarting for good reasons. You are then
    expected to review information sources, such as the history
    log, to learn why problems are happening. What does Device
    Manager report? What does the system (event) log report? If
    necessary, go to Windows HELP to learn how to find these
    important numbers and reports. You need those facts first to
    ask for help (and get a useful reply).

    In the meantime if a system vendor is responsible, then he
    provided comprehensive hardware diagnostics, for free, either
    with the system or on the web site. If your's is from a less
    than responsible vendor, then you must download each
    individual hardware diagnostic and execute them - to first
    verify hardware integrity. You do this long before even
    trying to 'fix' Windows.

    Memtest will not always report bad memory is you leave
    memory at room temperature. IOW redo the same test with
    memory heated to temperatures that are uncomfortable to touch
    but does not leave skin. IOW heat memory with a hairdryer on
    high (which is still well below what memory might consider a
    maximum normal temperature) and then retest memory. Heat is a
    diagnostic tool that is especially good at locating defective
    memory when used in conjunction with comprehensive hardware
    diagnostics.

    Also necessary are voltages from power supply using a 3.5
    digit multimeter. It says multimeter - not motherboard
    monitor - for good reason. Your numbers must reside in the
    upper 3/4 limits of the charts provide in these previous
    discussions: "Computer doesnt start at all" in
    alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at
    http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa .

    When an Intel CPU overheats, it does not crash. It simply
    slows down. IOW ignore any suggestion that you have a heat
    problem. Heat is what the naive immediately blame having
    never learned to first obtain basic facts. Above are the
    first basic facts necessary.

    But right off we have the obvious. You have thermal
    compound on the pins. Therefore you have created electrical
    problems. Furthermore, the thermal compound should be applied
    so stingy that is only spreads out on the inner half of that
    CPU. Thermal compound on the outer half does nothing useful
    and is often an indication of way too much thermal compound
    causing diminished thermal conductivity - and in your case,
    electrical problems.

    twisztad wrote:
    > HI I have this problem, My pc constantly restarts. totally randomly.
    > First I have a p4 3.06 ghz. I installed a Gigabyte Rocket Cooler Pro.
    > The Cpu got stuck to the old stock fan and when i removed it I bent A
    > few pins, I tried long and hard to bend the pins back, and was
    > successfull. Inserted the cpu and new fan and everything works fine.
    > I bought myself A new case CM Stacker transplanted my mobo over and
    > reconnected everything, but now my pc is restarting constantly, I
    > really want to know what could the problem be. Reinstalled Xp and
    > takes longer to restart now, but still restarts. I am dying here
    > could I have damage my cpu behond repair. Also A little thermal paste
    > went onto the pins, I couldnt remove it,for fear of damaging the pins
    > again, I am desperate, please help.
    >
    > P.s. I suppose it is hardware for sure now, Checked out my ram using
    > memtest - no errors. I am monitoring my Cpu temp using motherboard
    > monitor, but here is where it gets funny, it shows that my cpu temp
    > is 32c idle, Use Gigabyte easy tune to check cpu temp aswell, shows
    > same thing. Then when I use Fresh Diagnose to check CPU temp it shows
    > 90c and all of a sudden the temps on Easy tune and Motherboard monitor
    > jump up to 77c, wat the hell is this about, then when a close all
    > these programs and restart easy tune and motherboard monitor it shows
    > 32c again. I dont know which one to believe. Oh and I check out my Cpu
    > There is some thermal paste at the bottom on some of the pins but not
    > allot, Could this be shorting out the Cpu.

    Please unplug your pc and toss it out the window.

    "Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
    > twisztad wrote:
    >
    > > HI I have this problem, My pc constantly restarts. totally randomly.
    > > First I have a p4 3.06 ghz. I installed a Gigabyte Rocket Cooler Pro.
    > > The Cpu got stuck to the old stock fan and when i removed it I bent A
    > > few pins, I tried long and hard to bend the pins back, and was
    > > successfull. Inserted the cpu and new fan and everything works fine.
    > > I bought myself A new case CM Stacker transplanted my mobo over and
    > > reconnected everything, but now my pc is restarting constantly, I
    > > really want to know what could the problem be. Reinstalled Xp and
    > > takes longer to restart now, but still restarts. I am dying here
    > > could I have damage my cpu behond repair. Also A little thermal paste
    > > went onto the pins, I couldnt remove it,for fear of damaging the pins
    > > again, I am desperate, please help.
    >
    > Your system is set to restart on errors by default upon installation.
    These
    > errors are usually driver glitches. To get rid of this phenomena,
    > right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. Now, navigate to the
    > Advanced tab and under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings button.
    > Now, under System Failure, there is a checkbox for Automatically Restart.
    > Uncheck it and click Ok. You're done.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Registered Linux user #378193

    What PSU, make and rating? What video card? How much memory, what make
    and speed? Fault described can be dodgy PSU or memory.
    Mike.

    The vendors warned about this problem early this year.
    What they warned about was when you get a new mobo,
    be sure to pull the fan off the cpu and use new thermal
    paste. The old paste tends to dry over time, and once
    you start running the cpu, the heat will cause the paste
    to stick the cpu to the fan so you can't get to the release
    lever to remove the cpu. When that happens, and you
    try to pull the fan-cpu combo out, you damage the
    socket itself. Straightening the pins on the cpu tells me
    that you also damaged the mobo socket. I don't know
    what kind of damage the vendors say happens, but
    I suspect it may be the socket pins that are soldered
    to the mobo. Maybe some of them break ?? Anyway,
    looks like you may be in for new mobo-cpu bundle.
    Thermal paste on the pins would not affect anything
    unless there was a lot of it. Note: y'all !!! This warning
    was aimed specifically at the AMD64. Absolutely
    don't ignore this warning if you buy a new AMD64.

    johns

Homebuilt CPUs Systems