Outlook Express problems - possibly "version soup"

Previous dialogue in Outlook Express section.
I get "error opening message" and address book not found.
Followed through http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
Win Me seems to update OK but incomplete install on IE, also OE problems
remain.
No obvious problems shown by Belarc.
Not clear in what software the Win Me pros think I have "version soup".
Roger
8 answers Last reply
More about outlook express problems possibly version soup

    If you see an error message similar to the "unable to install all components", try this:

    Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
    - Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK

    Create a folder named "Old uninstall".

    Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.

    Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.

    Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.

    You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.

    If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
    and the files you moved.

    Good luck,

    Zee

    "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25A6C420-246C-497E-BC71-594D46EA989C@microsoft.com...
    > Previous dialogue in Outlook Express section.
    > I get "error opening message" and address book not found.
    > Followed through http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    > Win Me seems to update OK but incomplete install on IE, also OE problems
    > remain.
    > No obvious problems shown by Belarc.
    > Not clear in what software the Win Me pros think I have "version soup".
    > Roger

    Many thanks for that Zee - IE and other items now installed.
    However when I try to Create Mail in OE I still get "there was an error
    opening this message. An error has occurred."
    Uninstall/reinstall didn't help so I still have that problem.

    Roger

    "oops!!" wrote:

    > If you see an error message similar to the "unable to install all components", try this:
    >
    > Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
    > - Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK
    >
    > Create a folder named "Old uninstall".
    >
    > Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.
    >
    > Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.
    >
    > Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.
    >
    > You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.
    >
    > If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
    > and the files you moved.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25A6C420-246C-497E-BC71-594D46EA989C@microsoft.com...
    > > Previous dialogue in Outlook Express section.
    > > I get "error opening message" and address book not found.
    > > Followed through http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    > > Win Me seems to update OK but incomplete install on IE, also OE problems
    > > remain.
    > > No obvious problems shown by Belarc.
    > > Not clear in what software the Win Me pros think I have "version soup".
    > > Roger

    Roger,

    Any other text on the error message?

    If uninstall/reinstall didn't help, I doubt a repair will, but worth trying anyway:

    Add/Remove Programs > highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer > click Add/Remove > select Repair > Next > OK.

    Reboot when finished and test.

    Zee

    "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D55BBD55-DEA8-4FB2-B622-056BEE7D1C4C@microsoft.com...
    > Many thanks for that Zee - IE and other items now installed.
    > However when I try to Create Mail in OE I still get "there was an error
    > opening this message. An error has occurred."
    > Uninstall/reinstall didn't help so I still have that problem.
    >
    > Roger
    >
    > "oops!!" wrote:
    >
    > > If you see an error message similar to the "unable to install all components", try this:
    > >
    > > Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
    > > - Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK
    > >
    > > Create a folder named "Old uninstall".
    > >
    > > Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.
    > >
    > > Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.
    > >
    > > Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.
    > >
    > > You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.
    > >
    > > If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
    > > and the files you moved.
    > >
    > > Good luck,
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25A6C420-246C-497E-BC71-594D46EA989C@microsoft.com...
    > > > Previous dialogue in Outlook Express section.
    > > > I get "error opening message" and address book not found.
    > > > Followed through http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/reinME.htm
    > > > Win Me seems to update OK but incomplete install on IE, also OE problems
    > > > remain.
    > > > No obvious problems shown by Belarc.
    > > > Not clear in what software the Win Me pros think I have "version soup".
    > > > Roger

    Hi Zee

    That was the total text of the message.
    Sadly repair didn't work.
    However I am now getting the error "The Address Book failed to load. Outlook
    Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install" followed by "there was

    "oops!!" wrote:

    > Roger,
    >
    > Any other text on the error message?
    >
    > If uninstall/reinstall didn't help, I doubt a repair will, but worth trying anyway:
    >
    > Add/Remove Programs > highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer > click Add/Remove > select Repair > Next > OK.
    >
    > Reboot when finished and test.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D55BBD55-DEA8-4FB2-B622-056BEE7D1C4C@microsoft.com...
    > > Many thanks for that Zee - IE and other items now installed.
    > > However when I try to Create Mail in OE I still get "there was an error
    > > opening this message. An error has occurred."
    > > Uninstall/reinstall didn't help so I still have that problem.
    > >
    > > Roger
    > >
    > > "oops!!" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you see an error message similar to the "unable to install all components", try this:
    > > >
    > > > Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
    > > > - Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK
    > > >
    > > > Create a folder named "Old uninstall".
    > > >
    > > > Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.
    > > >
    > > > Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.
    > > >
    > > > Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.
    > > >
    > > > You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.
    > > >
    > > > If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
    > > > and the files you moved.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck,
    > > >
    > > > Zee

    Roger,

    Backup your address book by copying the *.WAB file to some safe place.

    Uninstall the Address Book in:

    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup tab > untick Address
    Book > Apply > OK and reboot.

    Test OE without the Address Book.

    Is it working?

    If yes, reinstall the Address Book and test again.

    If not, uninstall OE, reboot, reinstall OE and test without the Address
    Book.

    If OK, reinstall the Address Book and test again.

    If these steps don't solve the problem, I believe you should try the OE
    specific NG where people should be able to help you on this issue:

    microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

    > Hi Zee
    >
    > That was the total text of the message.
    > Sadly repair didn't work.
    > However I am now getting the error "The Address Book failed to load.
    Outlook
    > Express is incorrectly configured, please re-install" followed by "there
    was
    > an error opening this message. An error has occurred."
    >
    > Roger
    >
    > "oops!!" wrote:
    >

    > > Roger,
    > >
    > > Any other text on the error message?
    > >
    > > If uninstall/reinstall didn't help, I doubt a repair will, but worth
    trying anyway:

    > > Add/Remove Programs > highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer > click
    Add/Remove > select Repair > Next > OK.

    > > Reboot when finished and test.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Many thanks for that Zee - IE and other items now installed.
    > > > However when I try to Create Mail in OE I still get "there was an
    error
    > > > opening this message. An error has occurred."
    > > > Uninstall/reinstall didn't help so I still have that problem.
    > > >
    > > > Roger

    Information.

    Roger,

    Quick add-on to my previous post.

    If you need to uninstall OE, make sure you reboot and delete the folder

    C:\Programs Files\Outlook Express

    Also search your system for other Outlook Express entries and delete them
    before rebooting and reinstalling OE.

    And before doing this, it may be safe to create a fresh Restore point just
    to be sure you will be able to undo it if necessary (we never know and
    better safe than sorry).

    Noel,

    Try http://www.greyknight17.com/remove_oe.htm
    --
    Mike

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    > I get a page not found error on that link......

    Aaaaahh! - thanks, Mike!
    I tried a number of combinations, and searched with Google - and still
    managed to miss that one!!

    I'll see what I can do with it......

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Noel,
    >
    > Try http://www.greyknight17.com/remove_oe.htm
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I get a page not found error on that link......

Internet Explorer Outlook Express Microsoft Windows