USER.DAT -- How do you clean up / edit this file

I recently purchased a used HP Pavilion/WIN ME system and I planned to
give it to my nephew. I scaned the disk for foul language and came up
with many hits all located in c:\windows\user.dat.

There are foul references to .com' s .mpeg's .jpg's etc etc.

Have tired using MS Wordpad to edit this file but no success.
Also tried regedit, but can't seem to get to user.dat with it.

Does anyone have any ideas??
Can I create a new User.dat from scratch??
How??

Thank you for your time.

Ron
11 answers Last reply
More about user clean edit file

    Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    cropping up.

    Rick

    ftendinonospaMM@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I recently purchased a used HP Pavilion/WIN ME system and I planned to
    > give it to my nephew. I scaned the disk for foul language and came up
    > with many hits all located in c:\windows\user.dat.
    >
    > There are foul references to .com' s .mpeg's .jpg's etc etc.
    >
    > Have tired using MS Wordpad to edit this file but no success.
    > Also tried regedit, but can't seem to get to user.dat with it.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas??
    > Can I create a new User.dat from scratch??
    > How??
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > Ron

    Ron,

    You don't as such. User.dat is one of three files that make up the
    registry, the others being classes.dat and system.dat. user.dat contains
    the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive.

    The tool to use is regedit however only do so if you are experienced in
    working with the registry. I suspect though that many of the file names
    you want to remove are stored in the various MRU keys (Most Recently Used)
    and these are readily cleared using an anti-spyware application such as
    AdAware and letting AdAware remove all MRU entries.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    > Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    > cropping up.

    I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the system.
    In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over as
    reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    registry.
    --
    Mike

    I've never tried a Refresh Install, finding it just as easy (for geeky
    purposes) to do a Clean Install

    Rick

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    >> cropping up.
    >

    > I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the
    > system. In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over
    > as reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    > registry.

    This might be a good instance for using the Toni Arts Easy Cleaner registry
    cleaner. It is still freeware, although a subscription is requested.
    Easy Cleaner is less formidable for the casual user than the jv16 Power
    Tools cleaner, another very useful tool .
    I have successfully used both for many years, under WinME.
    http://www.toniarts.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218&PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218

    Careful perusal of the recommended objects for removal will quickly reveal
    the undesirable "foul language" items, assuming they do not run to the the
    many thousands.
    And a scanreg backup and System Restore checkpoint make reverting, if
    necessary, very simple, in the event of an inadvertent mistake.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    > > cropping up.
    >
    > I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the system.
    > In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over as
    > reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    > registry.
    > --
    > Mike

    Jack:

    I just came from Toni's website and in order to download anything you have
    to be a paid member.
    I didn't hang around to find out what the membership fee is,
    but the Easy Cleaner definitely is not free, unless there is a way around
    it.
    Sorry about that.

    Harry.

    > This might be a good instance for using the Toni Arts Easy Cleaner
    registry
    > cleaner. It is still freeware, although a subscription is requested.
    > Easy Cleaner is less formidable for the casual user than the jv16 Power
    > Tools cleaner, another very useful tool .
    > I have successfully used both for many years, under WinME.

    http://www.toniarts.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218&PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218

    > Careful perusal of the recommended objects for removal will quickly reveal
    > the undesirable "foul language" items, assuming they do not run to the the
    > many thousands.
    > And a scanreg backup and System Restore checkpoint make reverting, if
    > necessary, very simple, in the event of an inadvertent mistake.
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    > > > cropping up.
    > >
    > > I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the
    system.
    > > In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over as
    > > reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    > > registry.
    > > --
    > > Mike

    Toni has moved - he's now at
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    He had legal complications on his previous host - I believe that the version
    they offer is not current.
    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Jack:
    >
    > I just came from Toni's website and in order to download anything you have
    > to be a paid member.
    > I didn't hang around to find out what the membership fee is,
    > but the Easy Cleaner definitely is not free, unless there is a way around
    > it.
    > Sorry about that.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> This might be a good instance for using the Toni Arts Easy Cleaner
    > registry
    >> cleaner. It is still freeware, although a subscription is requested.
    >> Easy Cleaner is less formidable for the casual user than the jv16 Power
    >> Tools cleaner, another very useful tool .
    >> I have successfully used both for many years, under WinME.
    >>
    > http://www.toniarts.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218&PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218
    >>
    >> Careful perusal of the recommended objects for removal will quickly
    >> reveal
    >> the undesirable "foul language" items, assuming they do not run to the
    >> the
    >> many thousands.
    >> And a scanreg backup and System Restore checkpoint make reverting, if
    >> necessary, very simple, in the event of an inadvertent mistake.
    >> --
    >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ------
    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    >> > I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the
    > system.
    >> > In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over as
    >> > reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    >> > registry.
    >> > --
    >> > Mike

    Noel:

    MajorGeeks has a free download of Toni's Easy Cleaner available. To top it
    off, I already have it installed on my machine, which I found out when
    trying to download the program. This goes to show you the limitations of the
    memory.
    My apologies to Jack.

    Harry.

    > Toni has moved - he's now at
    > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    >
    > He had legal complications on his previous host - I believe that the
    version
    > they offer is not current.
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Jack:
    > >
    > > I just came from Toni's website and in order to download anything you
    have
    > > to be a paid member.
    > > I didn't hang around to find out what the membership fee is,
    > > but the Easy Cleaner definitely is not free, unless there is a way
    around
    > > it.
    > > Sorry about that.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > >> This might be a good instance for using the Toni Arts Easy Cleaner
    > > registry
    > >> cleaner. It is still freeware, although a subscription is requested.
    > >> Easy Cleaner is less formidable for the casual user than the jv16 Power
    > >> Tools cleaner, another very useful tool .
    > >> I have successfully used both for many years, under WinME.

    http://www.toniarts.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218&PHPSESSID=b4641dccc63c5096cafb0b572171d218

    > >> Careful perusal of the recommended objects for removal will quickly
    > >> reveal
    > >> the undesirable "foul language" items, assuming they do not run to the
    > >> the
    > >> many thousands.
    > >> And a scanreg backup and System Restore checkpoint make reverting, if
    > >> necessary, very simple, in the event of an inadvertent mistake.
    > >> --
    > >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > >> ------
    > >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > > system.

    This makes good sense, but how can you re-install if you don't have
    the original CD from MS? Previous owner says he bought the HP from
    Staples with WinME pre-installed and no MS CD's came with the
    purchase.

    Ron

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:57:07 +0100, "Mike M"
    <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

    >Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Reinstalling Windows is the surest way to keep unexpected things from
    >> cropping up.
    >
    >I agree as one has no idea as to what else might be hiding on the system.
    >In this case it means formatting the hard disk and starting over as
    >reinstalling Win Me over itself does not clear the HKCU hive in the
    >registry.
    >--
    >Mike

    Look for a folder containing the file BASE2.CAB. If located and it
    contains not only BASE2.CAB but also other cab files including
    PRECOPY.CAB, CABINET.CAB, and several others such as NET3.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB
    and WIN_8.CAB as well as the all important setup.exe then this is the
    folder you need to copy to a CD. Total size at least 153MB and at least
    52 files plus possibly a folder.

    Once you have a CD containing the Win Me cab files and setup.exe and know
    the product key and have a bootable floppy to hand you are all set to wipe
    you hard disk and clean install Win Me by running setup.exe on the CD you
    made.

    If you don't have the product key to hand you can recover the product key
    from the registry using a program such as Belarc Adviser or AIDA32
    (http://www.aumha.org/downloads/aida32.zip) or by using Regedit and noting
    the data for the value ProductKey found at:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    ftendinonospamm@yahoo.com <ftendinonospamm@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > This makes good sense, but how can you re-install if you don't have
    > the original CD from MS? Previous owner says he bought the HP from
    > Staples with WinME pre-installed and no MS CD's came with the
    > purchase.

    Perhaps eraser will help - it can be used to clean unused disk space
    and also removes all the directory entries of all files which have
    been deleted. Perhaps these entries are the problem. When I run
    "Restoration" no files are found.

Microsoft Windows