popup blocker vs HOSTfile

Need some advise.
I've been using Adshield for blocking popups, and it does a pretty decent job.
I've been wondering if I should delete Adshield and rely on the Host file
for blocking the pop ups. I realize that I would have to edit the HOST file
for the pop up ads and pages that I want to prevent to load when surfing.
Is it recommended to rely soley on the HOST files reliability on blocking
unwanted ads and\or pages or should I keep Adshield for this purpose.

Windows ME
IE6 sp1

The nice part about using the HOSTS file, is that you can use it in
conjunction with anything else and it uses no resources. I have the HOSTS
file, Spyware Blaster, Zone Alarm Pro and XP's Security..........works for
me.
Heirloom, old and whatever works

"Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need some advise.
> I've been using Adshield for blocking popups, and it does a pretty decent
> job.
> I've been wondering if I should delete Adshield and rely on the Host file
> for blocking the pop ups. I realize that I would have to edit the HOST
> file
> for the pop up ads and pages that I want to prevent to load when surfing.
> Is it recommended to rely soley on the HOST files reliability on blocking
> unwanted ads and\or pages or should I keep Adshield for this purpose.
>
> Windows ME
> IE6 sp1

No resources is always a plus as well as performance.
That makes it alittle easier on whether to delete the Adshield app. I will
try to copy and paste the existing list that is currently configured in the
Adshield app. into the HOST file(plus 127.0.0.1) and let the HOST file do
it's magic. If I'm not mistaken, there is no size limit of a Host file
within windows ME.
Thanks.

"Heirloom" wrote:

> The nice part about using the HOSTS file, is that you can use it in
> conjunction with anything else and it uses no resources. I have the HOSTS
> file, Spyware Blaster, Zone Alarm Pro and XP's Security..........works for
> me.
> Heirloom, old and whatever works
>

> "Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need some advise.
> > I've been using Adshield for blocking popups, and it does a pretty decent
> > job.
> > I've been wondering if I should delete Adshield and rely on the Host file
> > for blocking the pop ups. I realize that I would have to edit the HOST
> > file
> > for the pop up ads and pages that I want to prevent to load when surfing.
> > Is it recommended to rely soley on the HOST files reliability on blocking
> > unwanted ads and\or pages or should I keep Adshield for this purpose.
> >
> > Windows ME
> > IE6 sp1

With regard to the HOSTS file, true, you can make it most any size you want.
However, there does exist 'overkill.' I would highly recommend the MS-MVP
HOSTS file.....it has served me well.......
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm .
There are a number of places that offer 'pre-compiled' HOSTS lists, but, I
am partial to this one. Also, there is a nifty little free app called
Hostess, http://accs-net.com/hostess/ . This app allows you to 'merge'
different HOSTS files without the problem of duplications. It makes it easy
to edit/add, view, search, etc. It also has a nice feature to turn the
HOSTS file on and off with just a click.......nice to have in the event
there is something conflicting with a site you may want to visit.

Just thought I would share........what you do is, of course, up to you, but,
I think you would find the above quite useful.
Heirloom, old and sure would like to
hit the lotto

> No resources is always a plus as well as performance.
> That makes it alittle easier on whether to delete the Adshield app. I will
> try to copy and paste the existing list that is currently configured in
> the
> Adshield app. into the HOST file(plus 127.0.0.1) and let the HOST file do
> it's magic. If I'm not mistaken, there is no size limit of a Host file
> within windows ME.
> Thanks.
>
> "Heirloom" wrote:
>
>> The nice part about using the HOSTS file, is that you can use it in
>> conjunction with anything else and it uses no resources. I have the
>> HOSTS
>> file, Spyware Blaster, Zone Alarm Pro and XP's Security..........works
>> for
>> me.
>> Heirloom, old and whatever works
>>

>> "Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Need some advise.
>> > I've been using Adshield for blocking popups, and it does a pretty
>> > decent
>> > job.
>> > I've been wondering if I should delete Adshield and rely on the Host
>> > file
>> > for blocking the pop ups. I realize that I would have to edit the HOST
>> > file
>> > for the pop up ads and pages that I want to prevent to load when
>> > surfing.
>> > Is it recommended to rely soley on the HOST files reliability on
>> > blocking
>> > unwanted ads and\or pages or should I keep Adshield for this purpose.
>> >
>> > Windows ME
>> > IE6 sp1

I thank you for that info.
I have deactivated Adshield and am using the pre- compiled list for the HOST
file. It seems to work like I was hoping and am satisfied with the HOST
file's performance.
I have to trim the file to my needs though, for I have a nine year old who
loves to play his cartoonnetwork.com games. There is an entry within the pre
compiled file that prevents some of the flash games to load.
As for the Hostess app., I have not yet installed it.

"Heirloom" wrote:

> With regard to the HOSTS file, true, you can make it most any size you want.
> However, there does exist 'overkill.' I would highly recommend the MS-MVP
> HOSTS file.....it has served me well.......
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm .
> There are a number of places that offer 'pre-compiled' HOSTS lists, but, I
> am partial to this one. Also, there is a nifty little free app called
> Hostess, http://accs-net.com/hostess/ . This app allows you to 'merge'
> different HOSTS files without the problem of duplications. It makes it easy
> to edit/add, view, search, etc. It also has a nice feature to turn the
> HOSTS file on and off with just a click.......nice to have in the event
> there is something conflicting with a site you may want to visit.
>
> Just thought I would share........what you do is, of course, up to you, but,
> I think you would find the above quite useful.
> Heirloom, old and sure would like to
> hit the lotto
>
> "Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No resources is always a plus as well as performance.
> > That makes it alittle easier on whether to delete the Adshield app. I will
> > try to copy and paste the existing list that is currently configured in
> > the
> > Adshield app. into the HOST file(plus 127.0.0.1) and let the HOST file do
> > it's magic. If I'm not mistaken, there is no size limit of a Host file
> > within windows ME.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Heirloom" wrote:
> >
> >> The nice part about using the HOSTS file, is that you can use it in
> >> conjunction with anything else and it uses no resources. I have the
> >> HOSTS
> >> file, Spyware Blaster, Zone Alarm Pro and XP's Security..........works
> >> for
> >> me.
> >> Heirloom, old and whatever works
> >>

> >> "Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The culprit was "ar.atwola.com" which was preventing certain flash games to
load.
It also redirects netscape.com. Took <atwola> out of the HOST and all is well.

"Speedy G." wrote:

> I thank you for that info.
> I have deactivated Adshield and am using the pre- compiled list for the HOST
> file. It seems to work like I was hoping and am satisfied with the HOST
> file's performance.
> I have to trim the file to my needs though, for I have a nine year old who
> loves to play his cartoonnetwork.com games. There is an entry within the pre
> compiled file that prevents some of the flash games to load.
> As for the Hostess app., I have not yet installed it.
>
> "Heirloom" wrote:
>
> > With regard to the HOSTS file, true, you can make it most any size you want.
> > However, there does exist 'overkill.' I would highly recommend the MS-MVP
> > HOSTS file.....it has served me well.......
> > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm .
> > There are a number of places that offer 'pre-compiled' HOSTS lists, but, I
> > am partial to this one. Also, there is a nifty little free app called
> > Hostess, http://accs-net.com/hostess/ . This app allows you to 'merge'
> > different HOSTS files without the problem of duplications. It makes it easy
> > to edit/add, view, search, etc. It also has a nice feature to turn the
> > HOSTS file on and off with just a click.......nice to have in the event
> > there is something conflicting with a site you may want to visit.
> >
> > Just thought I would share........what you do is, of course, up to you, but,
> > I think you would find the above quite useful.
> > Heirloom, old and sure would like to
> > hit the lotto
> >
> > "Speedy G." <SpeedyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No resources is always a plus as well as performance.
> > > That makes it alittle easier on whether to delete the Adshield app. I will
> > > try to copy and paste the existing list that is currently configured in
> > > the
> > > Adshield app. into the HOST file(plus 127.0.0.1) and let the HOST file do
> > > it's magic. If I'm not mistaken, there is no size limit of a Host file
> > > within windows ME.
> > > Thanks.

I looked in my HOSTS file and that particular one was not in
there..........makes me wonder how and why??
Anyway, glad you got it figured out.........great work.
Heirloom, old and need burning
software