spybot problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 23, 2005 2:11:40 PM

During the install of the latest IE 5.5 update patch, Spybot's Resident
Tea Timer popped up to block the registry change that the patch
required. Screen froze up and I had to do a restart. When I examined the
About IE it showed the update to be installed, but since the registry
change was blocked I am now wondering if all is as it should be.

I noticed a comment about the Tea Timer registry bug on Spy Bot's site,
but still am not sure if the MS update is whole.

More about : spybot problem

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:20:36 PM

From: "richard kelly" <rmk@wonderland.net>

| During the install of the latest IE 5.5 update patch, Spybot's Resident
| Tea Timer popped up to block the registry change that the patch
| required. Screen froze up and I had to do a restart. When I examined the
| About IE it showed the update to be installed, but since the registry
| change was blocked I am now wondering if all is as it should be.
|
| I noticed a comment about the Tea Timer registry bug on Spy Bot's site,
| but still am not sure if the MS update is whole.

You should be using IE6 SP1 and I suggest SyBot S&D v1.4.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I am using S&D 1.4. The registry problem is in that version.
Re IE 6: can it be installed over 5.5 or must I first remove 5.5?

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "richard kelly" <rmk@wonderland.net>
>
> | During the install of the latest IE 5.5 update patch, Spybot's Resident
> | Tea Timer popped up to block the registry change that the patch
> | required. Screen froze up and I had to do a restart. When I examined the
> | About IE it showed the update to be installed, but since the registry
> | change was blocked I am now wondering if all is as it should be.
> |
> | I noticed a comment about the Tea Timer registry bug on Spy Bot's site,
> | but still am not sure if the MS update is whole.
>
> You should be using IE6 SP1 and I suggest SyBot S&D v1.4.

June 23, 2005 5:16:12 PM

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "richard kelly" <rmk@wonderland.net>
>
> | I am using S&D 1.4. The registry problem is in that version.
> | Re IE 6: can it be installed over 5.5 or must I first remove 5.5?
> |

> No removal needed, just install IE6 SP1 and install all related post SP1 updates.

David:

Just curious, I also have IE5.5 which I only use when absolutely
necessary. Even so, I have tried to upgrade to IE6 over 5.5 many times
without success. Every attempt has resulted in a message to the effect
that some components failed to install and setup closes. I do not
remember the exact words. I have downloaded the files from the update
site when prompted but no joy. Perhaps you have a clue as to what the
problem is.

sced13ri

BTW, do I see you posting In Verizon newsgroups as well? If so, that's
another can of worms regarding blocked e-mail. If not, I apologize.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 7:41:17 PM

From: "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid>

| David:
|
| I have AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AVG AV and Zone Alarm Pro
| on my system, so I don't think it's outside influence. You mention
| "fresh installs", just where would I find the files to try that? I have
| not found anything that works at Microsoft sites. I must be missing
| something, perhaps you could point me in the right direction. Thanks,
|
| sced13ri

What I did was download IE6, chose the advanced option and chose all components of all
operating systems.

Total installation files ~ 46MB and I use that to install on Win9x/ME and Win2K.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:37:55 AM

David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid>
>
> | David:
> |
> | I have AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AVG AV and Zone Alarm Pro
> | on my system, so I don't think it's outside influence. You mention
> | "fresh installs", just where would I find the files to try that? I have
> | not found anything that works at Microsoft sites. I must be missing
> | something, perhaps you could point me in the right direction. Thanks,
> |
> | sced13ri
>
> What I did was download IE6, chose the advanced option and chose all components of all
> operating systems.
>
> Total installation files ~ 46MB and I use that to install on Win9x/ME and Win2K.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Just need to pick a convenient time to do
the downloads. :-P
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:31:16 AM

AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the USA.
See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to install
IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
He can advise better.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> David H. Lipman wrote:
> > From: "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid>
> >
> > | David:
> > |
> > | I have AdAware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, AVG AV and Zone Alarm Pro
> > | on my system, so I don't think it's outside influence. You mention
> > | "fresh installs", just where would I find the files to try that? I
have
> > | not found anything that works at Microsoft sites. I must be missing
> > | something, perhaps you could point me in the right direction. Thanks,
> > |
> > | sced13ri
> >
> > What I did was download IE6, chose the advanced option and chose all
components of all
> > operating systems.
> >
> > Total installation files ~ 46MB and I use that to install on Win9x/ME
and Win2K.

> Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Just need to pick a convenient time to do
> the downloads. :-P
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:09:10 PM

From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

| AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the USA.
| See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to install
| IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
| He can advise better.
| --
| Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
| Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
| In Memorium: Alex Nichol
| http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
| Your cooperation is very appreciated.
| ------
| "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

Will it "brand" IE with AOL ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 10:39:06 PM

David asked :-

> Will it "brand" IE with AOL ?

Probably yes, but as it's only a Registry thing, it's not too difficult to
correct. (Just remember to set an SR point first <g>)

Mart

news:o xISx9NeFHA.412@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>
>
> | AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the
> USA.
> | See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to
> install
> | IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
> | He can advise better.
> | --
> | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> | In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> | Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> | ------
> | "sced13ri" <sced13ri@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>

> Will it "brand" IE with AOL ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:27:16 AM

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the USA.
> See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to install
> IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
> He can advise better.
++++
Jack:

Thanks for that bit of info, and just in time. The IE6.1 files I
downloaded just will not install, setup just hangs at the "Choose
typical or custom box". It appears that everything I find at Microsoft
just wants to connect to the web to install. I just happen to have a
little game CD I never used and it has AOL90 on it with the file you
suggested. I will give it a try and post back, probably in a day or two.

sced13ri
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:06:16 PM

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the USA.
> See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to install
> IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
> He can advise better.
++++
Jack:

Thanks for that bit of info, and just in time. The IE6.1 files I
downloaded just will not install, setup just hangs at the "Choose
typical or custom box". It appears that everything I find at Microsoft
just wants to connect to the web to install. I just happen to have a
little game CD I never used and it has AOL90 on it with the file you
suggested. I will give it a try and post back, probably in a day or two.

sced13ri

I tried the MSIE6198.exe several times from the disk I have. Setup
begins then says the IE and several other files on my system are
incorrect and requests permission to go on line and download files. From
that point the result is pretty much the same as before. A download site
is accessed, setup proceeds to about 96% of installation then fails with
the message "Setup could not install all components, please close all
applications and run setup again". There are no signs of the so called
90+% installed files on my system and my IE is still 5.5x

I guess I will stick with what I have since IE is last in the line of
browsers on my machine. I just hope when I do my upgrade to XP Home that
good old IE doesn't mess me up. :-(

sced13ri
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:16:43 AM

Meanwhile, try FireFox. It works.

> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> > AFAIK, IE6 SP1 installation files are on the AOL9 CD available in the
USA.
> > See TryAOL\AOL90\MSIE6198.exe. While I have never used this file to
install
> > IE6 SP1, I think our colleague MVP Noel Paton has done so.
> > He can advise better.
> ++++
> Jack:
>
> Thanks for that bit of info, and just in time. The IE6.1 files I
> downloaded just will not install, setup just hangs at the "Choose
> typical or custom box". It appears that everything I find at Microsoft
> just wants to connect to the web to install. I just happen to have a
> little game CD I never used and it has AOL90 on it with the file you
> suggested. I will give it a try and post back, probably in a day or two.
>
> sced13ri
>
> I tried the MSIE6198.exe several times from the disk I have. Setup
> begins then says the IE and several other files on my system are
> incorrect and requests permission to go on line and download files. From
> that point the result is pretty much the same as before. A download site
> is accessed, setup proceeds to about 96% of installation then fails with
> the message "Setup could not install all components, please close all
> applications and run setup again". There are no signs of the so called
> 90+% installed files on my system and my IE is still 5.5x
>
> I guess I will stick with what I have since IE is last in the line of
> browsers on my machine. I just hope when I do my upgrade to XP Home that
> good old IE doesn't mess me up. :-(
>
> sced13ri
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:59:18 PM

Walterius wrote:
> Meanwhile, try FireFox. It works.

Been there, done that. Mozilla suite is my primary browser. Just want IE
correct for the rare times I need it. Some sites only present properly
with IE. Even using the psuedo IE setting in M or FF does not always work.

!