Update wipes out hard drive

briab guy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Last night I switch over to the HD that W7 is on. It has windows updates ready to install. I have it set to notify. I clk OK and walk away. BIG mistake.
I check it and there is a screen, not a window, the whole screen is black and running through commands of DEL.... I didn't write the whole line down. Just didn't know what to do. I couldn't get out of the screen. I hit restart. I didn't know what I had on my hands. A virus? It starts up fine (W7). But I get a message that chk dsk and so-so didn't finish. So I figure if its a virus I have to format anyway. I let it go through the motions. It deleted some files, it recovered some files, and in the end gave a screen with all the data about what it did, just like chk dsk and error chking does. Looked real.
W7 loads fine so I figure it was OK.
Today I start up the other HD with XP on it and I get two reeor messages saying that it can't find a couple .DLL's. ODBC32.DLL and MSGINA.DLL.
I figure I can down load these and stick them back in. I start up W7 and can see the drive that XP is on, go to the system folder and there is no files in it.
I'm pretty sure that a system folder that is empty is going to be a problem

And that was the only thing I did when I started W7.
And that is about where I am at right now. Sorry so long of a post.
ANY ideas of what happened? Or what to do?

bojo600

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
no ones replied so i guess i will, im not much of an expert but i would suggest running a registry repair tool like free window registry repair n see if that fixes anything.

mary221

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
For sure virus. Use several anti viruses to scan your computer (install only one antivirus at a time). See my other post about scanning with several antiviruses. I hope won't be banned because I provide the some solution to several posts. :)

Oct 10, 2018
it depends from where you instaled the update since there is alot of fake ones that try to take over your computer but if its by the original windows system then its either by someone messed up with your pc and added some viruses i recomend malware its verry efective

TRENDING THREADS