Is my mobo toast?

Yesterday I was consolidating the parts of my two pcs. Bascially I took the
nice 160GB hard disk and 1 256 meg RAM chip from one and put it in the
other. Newer board is an MSI K7N2 Delta.

The one I put the hard disk and memmory in seemed to work fine at first.
But, the power turned off after about five minutes.

That happened a few more times, lasting 1 - 5 minutes before shutting down.
Then, the power would come on and stay at the point right before it counts
the RAM... but would never show video of any kind (there was no video
signal).

Now, within 1 or 2 seconds of boot, the machine turns off. I cannot get it
to boot any longer. Any ideas?

I thought I might have been shorting out the board, but I do not see where
that could have happened, or could be happening.

Anyone have an experience like this?

By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs. MSI - are
they good?

Thanks

jad

do you remove the cooling fan from your car while testing the engine?

AMD-Fan(underclock)= cool as long as you dont run apps? call the pope...its
a miracle!

"Amy Garrison" <amy-g-art@cox.net> wrote in message
> Yesterday I was consolidating the parts of my two pcs. Bascially I took
> the nice 160GB hard disk and 1 256 meg RAM chip from one and put it in the
> other. Newer board is an MSI K7N2 Delta.
>
> The one I put the hard disk and memmory in seemed to work fine at first.
> But, the power turned off after about five minutes.
>
> That happened a few more times, lasting 1 - 5 minutes before shutting
> down. Then, the power would come on and stay at the point right before it
> counts the RAM... but would never show video of any kind (there was no
> video signal).
>
> Now, within 1 or 2 seconds of boot, the machine turns off. I cannot get
> it to boot any longer. Any ideas?
>
> I thought I might have been shorting out the board, but I do not see where
> that could have happened, or could be happening.
>
> Anyone have an experience like this?
>
> By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs. MSI - are
> they good?
>
> Thanks

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Amy Garrison" <amy-g-art@cox.net> wrote in message

> By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs.
> MSI - are they good?

Both are very very cheap boards, you get what you pay for,
especially when it comes to stability and reliability.

You can get cheap boards from the likes of Asus and Abit that,
IMHO will be more stable and reliable.

What spec is you PSU and memory?, what cpu are you trying to run?

--
Ian

Amy Garrison wrote:
> Yesterday I was consolidating the parts of my two pcs. Bascially I took the
> nice 160GB hard disk and 1 256 meg RAM chip from one and put it in the
> other. Newer board is an MSI K7N2 Delta.
>
> The one I put the hard disk and memmory in seemed to work fine at first.
> But, the power turned off after about five minutes.
>
> That happened a few more times, lasting 1 - 5 minutes before shutting down.
> Then, the power would come on and stay at the point right before it counts
> the RAM... but would never show video of any kind (there was no video
> signal).
>
> Now, within 1 or 2 seconds of boot, the machine turns off. I cannot get it
> to boot any longer. Any ideas?
>
> I thought I might have been shorting out the board, but I do not see where
> that could have happened, or could be happening.
>
> Anyone have an experience like this?
>
> By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs. MSI - are
> they good?
>
> Thanks

Is your CPU heatsink securely attached and the fan running?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> Amy Garrison wrote:
>> Yesterday I was consolidating the parts of my two pcs. Bascially I took
>> the nice 160GB hard disk and 1 256 meg RAM chip from one and put it in
>> the other. Newer board is an MSI K7N2 Delta.
>>
>> The one I put the hard disk and memmory in seemed to work fine at first.
>> But, the power turned off after about five minutes.
>>
>> That happened a few more times, lasting 1 - 5 minutes before shutting
>> down. Then, the power would come on and stay at the point right before it
>> counts the RAM... but would never show video of any kind (there was no
>> video signal).
>>
>> Now, within 1 or 2 seconds of boot, the machine turns off. I cannot get
>> it to boot any longer. Any ideas?
>>
>> I thought I might have been shorting out the board, but I do not see
>> where that could have happened, or could be happening.
>>
>> Anyone have an experience like this?
>>
>> By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs. MSI -
>> are they good?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Is your CPU heatsink securely attached and the fan running?

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I also used the fan from my older pc
(very quiet)... but took it off when I was having the problem. I have an
Athlon XP 2400+ that I run underclocked at ~ 1.8Ghz. The CPU (even without
fan or heatsink) keeps very cool.

Of course I do not run applications without the fan and heatsink... but for
starting the computer, it is not a problem.

> Of course I do not run applications without the fan and heatsink... but for
> starting the computer, it is not a problem.

Why would you run it without the fan and/or heatsink at all? Sounds like
a good way of making sure your computer doesn't run.

I'm guessing that if you are trying to run your computer without any way
of disspating the heat from the CPU then the shutting down-ness is
caused by overheating.

You say you used the fan from the old PC. As CPU's get more advanced
they *generally* need more cooling. A fan from anything *too* old will
simply not be up to the job. Try using the fan and heatsink that isnt
quite so quiet and see if it works again.

ta ra

Sandi

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Is your CPU heatsink securely attached and the fan running?
>>

> Yes, I should have mentioned that. I also used the fan from my
> older pc (very quiet)... but took it off when I was having the
> problem. I have an Athlon XP 2400+ that I run underclocked at ~
> 1.8Ghz. The CPU (even without fan or heatsink) keeps very cool.
>
> Of course I do not run applications without the fan and
> heatsink... but for starting the computer, it is not a problem.

Re-fit the heatsink/fan - HSF (with thermal grease) and see what
temperatures the bios shows you. Do not start your pc without a
HSF at best it will shutdown after a very short period of time, at
worst you will toast your cpu!

--
Ian

Amy Garrison wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>Amy Garrison wrote:
>>
>>>Yesterday I was consolidating the parts of my two pcs. Bascially I took
>>>the nice 160GB hard disk and 1 256 meg RAM chip from one and put it in
>>>the other. Newer board is an MSI K7N2 Delta.
>>>
>>>The one I put the hard disk and memmory in seemed to work fine at first.
>>>But, the power turned off after about five minutes.
>>>
>>>That happened a few more times, lasting 1 - 5 minutes before shutting
>>>down. Then, the power would come on and stay at the point right before it
>>>counts the RAM... but would never show video of any kind (there was no
>>>video signal).
>>>
>>>Now, within 1 or 2 seconds of boot, the machine turns off. I cannot get
>>>it to boot any longer. Any ideas?
>>>
>>>I thought I might have been shorting out the board, but I do not see
>>>where that could have happened, or could be happening.
>>>
>>>Anyone have an experience like this?
>>>
>>>By the way, anyone have any experience with foxconn boards? Vs. MSI -
>>>are they good?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>>Is your CPU heatsink securely attached and the fan running?
>>

> Yes, I should have mentioned that. I also used the fan from my older pc
> (very quiet)... but took it off when I was having the problem. I have an
> Athlon XP 2400+ that I run underclocked at ~ 1.8Ghz. The CPU (even without
> fan or heatsink) keeps very cool.
>
> Of course I do not run applications without the fan and heatsink... but for
> starting the computer, it is not a problem.

Some motherboards won't proceed if they detect the CPU fan to be
stopped. Try reattaching it to the motherboard and see if that helps.

> Amy Garrison wrote:
>> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

>>>Is your CPU heatsink securely attached and the fan running?
>>>

>> Yes, I should have mentioned that. I also used the fan from my older pc
>> (very quiet)... but took it off when I was having the problem. I have an
>> Athlon XP 2400+ that I run underclocked at ~ 1.8Ghz. The CPU (even
>> without fan or heatsink) keeps very cool.
>>
>> Of course I do not run applications without the fan and heatsink... but
>> for starting the computer, it is not a problem.
>
> Some motherboards won't proceed if they detect the CPU fan to be stopped.
> Try reattaching it to the motherboard and see if that helps.

I only removed the fan after thinking that it could be the cause of the
problem. It was already having the problem before I removed it.