CD-R/RW Drive Problems

Hi All......

I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in it.
I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio and
Music Match burning proggies.

I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went away, I
used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.

I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD in it
and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play songs
on did.

Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((

Cheers....Heather

PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!
19 answers Last reply
More about drive problems

    Hi Heather, - my standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real
    Mode DOS - please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-

    OK, then consider the following, which "assumes" two CD-ROM drives are
    fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer :-

    To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
    in the A: drive.
    Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.

    Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
    should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but note that they
    may not necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.

    For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:, so the
    screen should
    show:
    > Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
    > Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
    > Your CD-ROM Is Drive E

    (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is Drive
    F" - you won't, it will only show the one)

    When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an A:\>
    prompt.

    Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type "E:"
    (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.

    Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
    press Return.

    You should see a listing of the CD contents.

    Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:" at
    the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P" for
    the listing.

    Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if you
    can't "see" it in RM DOS,

    > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust.

    Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning disk
    kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., - or
    more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.

    Mart

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi All......
    >
    > I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in
    > it.
    > I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
    > keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
    > and
    > Music Match burning proggies.
    >
    > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went away,
    > used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
    > which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
    >
    > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD in
    > it
    > and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
    > songs
    > on did.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
    >
    > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

    <lol> I think it's definitely time you visited Willy and got that new
    machine, you'll be so much happier <g>
    Glad to hear Elayne got home safely and enjoyed her holiday, thought she
    might have stayed on the road and popped down to see me <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > Hi All......
    >
    > I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD
    > in it. I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this
    > before. It keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it
    > with both Roxio and Music Match burning proggies.
    >
    > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
    > away, I used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up
    > halfway thru, which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
    >
    > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded
    > CD in it and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive
    > which I play songs on did.
    >
    > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
    >
    > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

    Hi Mart.......

    Well.....tried to do what you said and couldn't get to where you wanted me
    to be. When Willy tried to install XP on here, he had set it up as a dual
    boot. He didn't take that aspect off and I have to pick WinME at startup.
    So even getting into Safe Mode is a tad different......just played with it
    now. So I assume that is the problem. I even made a new Startup Disc, but
    no go on that.

    Noel had suggested removing the CD Writer in Device Manager and I found
    (when I finally got to Safe Mode) that there were two identical Writer
    drives. Removed first one.....no joy. Removed both.....still no joy. When
    I put a blank or data CD in that drive, Windows Explorer doesn't see it.
    Nor do Music Match or Roxio. Settings in Roxio are definitely for the CD
    Writer drive.

    So I guess it is off to Willy the Wonder Tech tomorrow and ask him to fix me
    up. I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer and this latest
    snafu is shoving me over the edge.....lol!! Hell.....the roof cost me 4
    times what a new computer will!! Next is the furnace. Another $3500. Time
    to spend some money on moi, I think!!

    Thanks for your help, but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5 years
    old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up).....could be 10 for all I know.

    XX Heather
    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Hi Heather, - my standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in
    Real
    > Mode DOS - please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-
    >
    > OK, then consider the following, which "assumes" two CD-ROM drives are
    > fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer :-
    >
    > To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy)
    Disk
    > in the A: drive.
    > Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    >
    > Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
    > should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but note that they
    > may not necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.
    >
    > For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:, so
    the
    > screen should
    > show:
    > > Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
    > > Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
    > > Your CD-ROM Is Drive E
    >
    > (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is Drive
    > F" - you won't, it will only show the one)
    >
    > When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an
    A:\>
    > prompt.
    >
    > Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type
    "E:"
    > (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.
    >
    > Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
    > press Return.
    >
    > You should see a listing of the CD contents.
    >
    > Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:" at
    > the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P"
    for
    > the listing.
    >
    > Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if
    you
    > can't "see" it in RM DOS,
    >
    > > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust.
    >
    > Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning disk
    > kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., - or
    > more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hi All......
    > >
    > > I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in
    > > it.
    > > I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
    > > keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
    > > and
    > > Music Match burning proggies.
    > >
    > > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
    away,
    > > used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
    > > which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
    > >
    > > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD
    in
    > > it
    > > and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
    > > songs
    > > on did.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather
    > >
    > > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

    Hi Heather,

    I'd forgotten that you were on dual boot - although I did wonder why you
    were asking on the WinMe pages when I recalled that you were running XP.

    However, that shouldn't stop you from checking out my previous tests - but
    using a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk of course (so long as you still have
    one!!)

    The reason being that by using the WinMe boot disk, you are completely
    eliminating any other OS (XP or WinMe) as you are not booting from your
    HDD - and hence those systems will not be loaded. (Don't worry if you get a
    warning about a missing/corrupted/virus C: drive - if its NTFS then DOS
    won't see it and 'assumes' things aren't right)

    BUT you can look at and test your CD-ROM's, as all the appropriate (DOS 7)
    OS and drivers are contained on your WinMe floppy.

    Good old WinMe (well, the boot disk anyway) comes to the rescue again -
    wouldn't be without it!!

    > Well.....tried to do what you said and couldn't get to where you wanted me
    > to be.

    Please explain <g> - Unless your BIOS is not set to read the A: drive at
    boot-up. I don't quite see the 'dual boot' relevance - see above.

    > ..... but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5 years
    > old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up)...

    Quite likely. And, if you've been in the BIOS, that *may* explain you Boot
    sequence - if it's not seeing the A: at boot-up.

    But probably all very academic, if you are seeing Willy later

    > ... I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer

    So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your existing model

> [...]
    >> > It
    >> > keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
    >> > and
    >> > Music Match burning proggies.
    >> >
    >> > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
    > away,
    >> > used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
    >> > which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
    >> >
    >> > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD
    > in
    >> > it
    >> > and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
    >> > songs
    >> > on did.
    >> >
    >> > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
    >> >
    >> > Cheers....Heather
    >> >
    >> > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

    Hi Mart......

    I still have the dual boot *start* setup, but due to the old BIOS
    (motherboard?), neither I or Willy could install XP or a second HD, so he
    left the dual boot at the start, but there is nothing other than WinME on
    here.

    Complicated I suppose, but it didn't worry me. However, using a WinME boot
    disk doesn't get me into the DOS screen you were talking about.

    I did see it reading the floppy at the beginning, but it just didn't go to
    what you were describing. Talk about a *hybrid*!!! I still have some XP
    folders on here from the failed install by me in February, but Noel helped
    me get rid of a lot of them.

    Then when Willy tried to install it, he got the same crashing. Seems that
    MDG where I bought it put in a really old motherboard or BIOS (get confused
    on those two), but Noel saw 2 or 3 dates on the Everest Report.

    So while it works fine as ME, it really ticks me off that they (and a lot of
    the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will ever
    find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems way
    more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my XP
    Home.

    Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at it
    tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
    fingers crossed??

    You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your existing
    model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this machine??

    Cheers....Heather

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space)
    > >> Then
    > >> press Return.
    > >>
    > >> You should see a listing of the CD contents.
    > >>
    > >> Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:"
    at
    > >> the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P"
    > > for
    > >> the listing.
    > >>
    > >> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if
    > > you
    > >> can't "see" it in RM DOS,

    > >> Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning
    disk
    > >> kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., -
    or
    > >> more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.

    Heather, regarding your last point :-

    > You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
    > existing
    > model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this
    > machine??

    My message was essentially that as you are (sooner or later) going to invest
    in a Brand New PC, then not to 'waste' your hard earned cash on fettling
    your existing PC, but rather, put it towards your new one. If you can manage
    without a burner for a while, then that's "money in the bank". However, if a
    burner is essential for your day-to-day stuff, then buy the cheapest CD
    writer you can find, just to see you thru'.

    I just wonder at what point the

    > ... WinME boot
    > disk doesn't get me into the DOS screen you were talking about.

    goes wrong. Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
    with CD-ROM support."?

    Good luck with your visit to Willy

> [...]
    >> > it.
    >> > Nor do Music Match or Roxio. Settings in Roxio are definitely for the
    > CD
    >> > Writer drive.
    >> >
    >> > So I guess it is off to Willy the Wonder Tech tomorrow and ask him to
    > fix
    >> > me
    >> > up. I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer and this
    > latest
    >> > snafu is shoving me over the edge.....lol!! Hell.....the roof cost me
    >> > 4
    >> > times what a new computer will!! Next is the furnace. Another $3500.
    >> > Time
    >> > to spend some money on moi, I think!!
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help, but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5
    >> > years
    >> > old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up).....could be 10 for all I

    Heather, have you tried several name-brands of CD-RW media? Some
    readers/writers are finicky.

    BTW, when will Slim Hips and her SO be in Brampton next?
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    > Heather, regarding your last point :-

    <SNIP>

    the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
    Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with CD-ROM
    support."?<<<

    NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
    instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP screen?
    Will talk to Willy today.

    And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one, copy
    over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of the
    extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.

    Cheers....Heather

> [...]
    lot
    > > of
    > > the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will
    ever
    > > find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems
    way
    > > more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my
    XP
    > > Home.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at
    it
    > > tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
    > > fingers crossed??
    > >
    > > You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
    > > existing
    > > model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this

    Tried 3 different brands. No go.

    SH dumped the SO about 16 months ago. Seems he was a less than intelligent
    con man (user) and she booted him out. She said "being single with 2 cats
    is preferable to living with a loser", or words to that effect. (G)

    Figgs

    > Heather, have you tried several name-brands of CD-RW media? Some
    > readers/writers are finicky.
    >
    > BTW, when will Slim Hips and her SO be in Brampton next?
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >
    > > Heather, regarding your last point :-
    > >

    > <SNIP>

    Mmm...

    > >Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
    > > with CD-ROM support."?
    >
    > NO.....couldn't find that.

    Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on Boot-up.

    I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.

> [...]
    > lot
    >> > of
    >> > the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will
    > ever
    >> > find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems
    > way
    >> > more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my
    > XP
    >> > Home.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at
    > it
    >> > tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
    >> > fingers crossed??
    >> >
    >> > You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
    >> > existing
    >> > model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this

    Hi Mart......et al

    Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on this
    one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no point
    in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new computer. I
    will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1 parts.....not
    stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to advise
    me on.

    And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that might
    be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.

    Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him later
    this week.

    Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
    weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.

    Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.

    > Mmm...
    >
    > > >Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
    > > > with CD-ROM support."?
    > >
    > > NO.....couldn't find that.
    >
    > Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on
    Boot-up.

    > I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
    > > Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with
    > > CD-ROM
    > > support."?<<<
    > >
    > > NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
    > > instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP
    > > screen?
    > > Will talk to Willy today.
    > >
    > > And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one,
    > > copy
    > > over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of
    the
    > > extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather
    > >
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> Heather, regarding your last point :-

    > >> My message was essentially that as you are (sooner or later) going to
    > > invest
    > >> in a Brand New PC, then not to 'waste' your hard earned cash on
    fettling
    > >> your existing PC, but rather, put it towards your new one. If you can
    > > manage
    > >> without a burner for a while, then that's "money in the bank". However,
    > >> if
    > >> burner is essential for your day-to-day stuff, then buy the cheapest CD
    > >> writer you can find, just to see you thru'.
    > >>
    > >> I just wonder at what point the

    > >> goes wrong. Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start
    > > computer
    > >> with CD-ROM support."?
    > >>
    > >> Good luck with your visit to Willy
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > > he
    WinME
    > > on

    WinME

    > > XP
    > > helped

    > > that

    > > lot
    > > ever
    > > way
    > > XP

    > > it

    > not stuff from the Far East,

    So what's he going to build you? A manual typewriter using museum parts?
    I think you'll find that the majority of parts are sourced from the Far
    East regardless of the name of the company on the label.

    As for your boot problem all that is needed is to SYS C: from a Win Me
    boot floppy to remove the NT loader and get back to booting straight to
    Win Me.
    --
    Mike

    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Hi Mart......et al
    >
    > Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff
    > on this one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that
    > there is no point in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to
    > build me a new computer. I will go over and he will list all the
    > stuff he will use (#1 parts.....not stuff from the Far East,
    > grin).....and I will post it for you guys to advise me on.
    >
    > And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
    > might be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
    >
    > Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing
    > him later this week.
    >
    > Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
    > weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
    >
    > Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.

    Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
    Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
    40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
    company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
    everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.

    Shane

> [...]
    > Boot-up.
    >>
    >> I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
    >> > Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with
    >> > CD-ROM
    >> > support."?<<<
    >> >
    >> > NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
    >> > instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP
    >> > screen?
    >> > Will talk to Willy today.
    >> >
    >> > And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one,
    >> > copy
    >> > over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of
    > the
    >> > extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.

    I checked a Toronto spot and the newer Samsung one was about $23. I may
    just put a new one on here. The monitor is Samsung as well, but slightly
    rebadged.

    I find that things in the UK cost the same *number* in GBP as we pay in Cdn.
    dollars.....a killer when we visit your country.

    Cheers....Heather

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
    > Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
    > 40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
    > company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
    > everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.
    >

    > Shane
    >
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hi Mart......et al
    > >
    > > Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on
    > > this
    > > one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no
    > > point
    > > in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new
    computer.
    > > will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1
    parts.....not
    > > stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to
    > > advise
    > > me on.
    > >
    > > And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
    might
    > > be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
    > >
    > > Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him
    > > later
    > > this week.
    > >
    > > Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
    > > weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
    > >
    > > Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.
    > >
    > > Heather
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> Mmm...

    > >> Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on
    > > Boot-up.
    > >>
    > >> I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > fettling

    HD,
    > > so
    > > WinME

    > > WinME

    > > go
    > > some
    Noel

    > > seems
    > > my

    > > at
    > > those

    Good to see (elsewhere in the thread) that you are making progress Heather,
    and I would agree with Mike and Shane's remarks on 'sources' of components.
    You only have to read the NG's to see that major brands seem to fail just as
    often as Far Eastern, unbranded stuff.

    That's one major advantage of a desktop (vs. laptop) in that if a component
    dies, it's fairly easily replaced without too much 'down-time'. And, if
    Willy has a good supplier, then failures under 'warranty' (which DO happen!)
    shouldn't be a problem.

    Regarding your 'second thoughts' about putting a new Samsung CD-RW in the
    old machine - then, unless you *really* need it, put your money towards a
    decent pair of DVD/CD readers and burners on your prospective PC. The
    chances are that once you've got your new PC (with XP), your old one will
    never see the light of day again - and you'll wonder what on earth you've
    been pratting about at, for all this time <g>

    Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll wonder
    how you ever lived without them.

    >I checked a Toronto spot and the newer Samsung one was about $23. I may
    > just put a new one on here. The monitor is Samsung as well, but slightly
    > rebadged.
    >
    > I find that things in the UK cost the same *number* in GBP as we pay in
    > Cdn.
    > dollars.....a killer when we visit your country.
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
    >
    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
    >> Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
    >> 40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
    >> company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
    >> everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.
    >>

    >> Shane
    >>
    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Mart......et al
    >> >
    >> > Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on
    >> > this
    >> > one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no
    >> > point
    >> > in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new
    > computer.
    >> > will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1
    > parts.....not
    >> > stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to
    >> > advise
    >> > me on.
    >> >
    >> > And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
    > might
    >> > be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
    >> >
    >> > Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him
    >> > later
    >> > this week.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
    >> > weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
    >> >
    >> > Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.
    >> >
    >> > Heather
    >> >

    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

    >> > Boot-up.

    > me

    > one,
    >> > the

    >> > fettling
    > can

    > HD,
    >> > so
    >> > WinME

    >> > WinME

    > didn't
    >> > go
    >> > some
    > Noel

    > (and
    > will
    >> > seems
    > using
    >> > my

    > look
    >> > at
    >> > those

    Good point Mart, I have four on the back and two on the front of this box
    and it's great when I want to plug in my card reader or my multifunction
    printer, that way I don't have to leave them always connected to plug in
    when needed without the scrambling on hands and knees under and behind my
    desk <g>
    Joan

    Mart wrote:

    > Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll
    > wonder how you ever lived without them.
    >
    > Mart

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan, when I had to 're-furbish' my XP box at xmas (long saga), I took the
    opportunity to 'enhance' the USB1 mobo by adding a USB2/Firewire pci card
    and hence, reap the benefits of USB2. But in the process, I replaced my
    (standard) A: drive and substituted it with a combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card
    Reader :-http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=87669
    So that takes care of another cable <g>

    Double bonus!!

    Mart

    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Good point Mart, I have four on the back and two on the front of this box
    > and it's great when I want to plug in my card reader or my multifunction
    > printer, that way I don't have to leave them always connected to plug in
    > when needed without the scrambling on hands and knees under and behind my
    > desk <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Mart wrote:
    >>
    >> Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll
    >> wonder how you ever lived without them.
    >>
    >> Mart

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Mart my card reader looks similiar to that one and can be put
    internally but I just have it sitting on top of the box and plug the USB
    cable into a front port when I need to use it <g>

    Same as my printer, my colour laser is permanently plugged in by USB in
    the back of the machine but my multifunction printer, which also has a
    card reader part just has to be plugged in the front if and when I want to
    scan/print/ or whatever using inkjet <g> of course if I want to just look
    at what's on my camera card and print an index I don't even have to
    connect it to the PC.

    It's frightening all this technology <g>
    Joan

    Mart wrote:
    > Joan, when I had to 're-furbish' my XP box at xmas (long saga), I
    > took the opportunity to 'enhance' the USB1 mobo by adding a
    > USB2/Firewire pci card and hence, reap the benefits of USB2. But in
    > the process, I replaced my (standard) A: drive and substituted it
    > with a combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card Reader
    > :-http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=87669
    > So that takes care of another cable <g>
    > Double bonus!!
    >
    > Mart

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks, Mart. I started to answer earlier and had mouse & freezing
    problems.....got it sorted out now. Think this computer is trying to tell
    me something??

    Anyway......I will go over to see Willy tomorrow. I am gathering up nuggets
    from here to tell him. But he figures he can put together a new computer
    with DVD Writer included for about $800........which is a rather good price.
    But I will make a list of what I want. USB ports being one of them. Only
    have 2 on this computer.

    Considering I bought this one about 4.5 years ago, it has lasted well. I
    put as much *good stuff* on as I thought I might need, and I still have not
    made use of it all. My CD Rom drive is also a DVD one, for instance. And I
    got a large bundle of MS progs with it which I never use. Mike M. and I
    much prefer WordPerfect, for instance.

    So I will keep you all posted and probably will be asking questions. May
    yet put a burner on this. I intend to network them, but as you say.....I
    may never touch it once I get used to XP, grin.

    Thanks....Heather
> [...]
    > > just put a new one on here. The monitor is Samsung as well, but
    slightly
    > > rebadged.
    > >
    > > I find that things in the UK cost the same *number* in GBP as we pay in
    > > Cdn.
    > > dollars.....a killer when we visit your country.
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather
    > >
    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my
    aging
    > >> Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns
    at
    > >> 40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding
    electronics
    > >> company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
    > >> everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.

CD-Rom Windows