CD-R/RW Drive Problems

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 26, 2005 5:12:56 AM

Hi All......

I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in it.
I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio and
Music Match burning proggies.

I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went away, I
used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.

I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD in it
and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play songs
on did.

Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((

Cheers....Heather

PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

More about : drive problems

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:43:53 PM

Hi Heather, - my standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in Real
Mode DOS - please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-

OK, then consider the following, which "assumes" two CD-ROM drives are
fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer :-

To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk
in the A: drive.
Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.

Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but note that they
may not necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.

For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:, so the
screen should
show:
> Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
> Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
> Your CD-ROM Is Drive E

(Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is Drive
F" - you won't, it will only show the one)

When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an A:\>
prompt.

Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type "E:"
(no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.

Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
press Return.

You should see a listing of the CD contents.

Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:" at
the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P" for
the listing.

Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if you
can't "see" it in RM DOS,

> I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust.

Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning disk
kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., - or
more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.

Mart

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi All......
>
> I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in
> it.
> I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
> keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
> and
> Music Match burning proggies.
>
> I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went away,
> used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
> which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
>
> I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD in
> it
> and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
> songs
> on did.
>
> Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:48:22 PM

<lol> I think it's definitely time you visited Willy and got that new
machine, you'll be so much happier <g>
Glad to hear Elayne got home safely and enjoyed her holiday, thought she
might have stayed on the road and popped down to see me <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> Hi All......
>
> I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD
> in it. I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this
> before. It keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it
> with both Roxio and Music Match burning proggies.
>
> I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
> away, I used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up
> halfway thru, which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
>
> I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded
> CD in it and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive
> which I play songs on did.
>
> Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!
Related resources
June 26, 2005 8:01:37 PM

Hi Mart.......

Well.....tried to do what you said and couldn't get to where you wanted me
to be. When Willy tried to install XP on here, he had set it up as a dual
boot. He didn't take that aspect off and I have to pick WinME at startup.
So even getting into Safe Mode is a tad different......just played with it
now. So I assume that is the problem. I even made a new Startup Disc, but
no go on that.

Noel had suggested removing the CD Writer in Device Manager and I found
(when I finally got to Safe Mode) that there were two identical Writer
drives. Removed first one.....no joy. Removed both.....still no joy. When
I put a blank or data CD in that drive, Windows Explorer doesn't see it.
Nor do Music Match or Roxio. Settings in Roxio are definitely for the CD
Writer drive.

So I guess it is off to Willy the Wonder Tech tomorrow and ask him to fix me
up. I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer and this latest
snafu is shoving me over the edge.....lol!! Hell.....the roof cost me 4
times what a new computer will!! Next is the furnace. Another $3500. Time
to spend some money on moi, I think!!

Thanks for your help, but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5 years
old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up).....could be 10 for all I know.

XX Heather
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Hi Heather, - my standard (edited) response to check-out CD-ROM's in
Real
> Mode DOS - please use the 'bits' applicable to your CD-RW :-
>
> OK, then consider the following, which "assumes" two CD-ROM drives are
> fitted (CD reader and CD reader/writer) in the computer :-
>
> To 'see' them in Real Mode DOS, Boot, using your WinMe Startup (floppy)
Disk
> in the A: drive.
> Select option 2. Start computer with CD-ROM support.
>
> Let the screen information scroll until you eventually see a line which
> should report a drive letter for each of the CD-ROM's - but note that they
> may not necessarily the same letter as you would expect to see in Windows.
>
> For example, you should see TWO CD-ROMS, becoming the E: and the F:, so
the
> screen should
> show:
> > Drive E:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 0
> > Drive F:= Driver MSCD001 UNIT 1
> > Your CD-ROM Is Drive E
>
> (Don't worry that you didn't also see a further line "Your CD-ROM Is Drive
> F" - you won't, it will only show the one)
>
> When the boot disk finally settles down, you will be presented with an
A:\>
> prompt.
>
> Now put a (data) CD into the first CD-ROM and at the A:\> prompt, type
"E:"
> (no quotes and note the colon after the letter E) Then Press Return.
>
> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space) Then
> press Return.
>
> You should see a listing of the CD contents.
>
> Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:" at
> the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P"
for
> the listing.
>
> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if
you
> can't "see" it in RM DOS,
>
> > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust.
>
> Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning disk
> kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., - or
> more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi All......
> >
> > I can't get my CD Writer Drive to recognize that there is a blank CD in
> > it.
> > I have tried for an hour now. It has never failed like this before. It
> > keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
> > and
> > Music Match burning proggies.
> >
> > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
away,
> > used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
> > which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
> >
> > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD
in
> > it
> > and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
> > songs
> > on did.
> >
> > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
> >
> > Cheers....Heather
> >
> > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 4:19:18 AM

Hi Heather,

I'd forgotten that you were on dual boot - although I did wonder why you
were asking on the WinMe pages when I recalled that you were running XP.

However, that shouldn't stop you from checking out my previous tests - but
using a WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk of course (so long as you still have
one!!)

The reason being that by using the WinMe boot disk, you are completely
eliminating any other OS (XP or WinMe) as you are not booting from your
HDD - and hence those systems will not be loaded. (Don't worry if you get a
warning about a missing/corrupted/virus C: drive - if its NTFS then DOS
won't see it and 'assumes' things aren't right)

BUT you can look at and test your CD-ROM's, as all the appropriate (DOS 7)
OS and drivers are contained on your WinMe floppy.

Good old WinMe (well, the boot disk anyway) comes to the rescue again -
wouldn't be without it!!

> Well.....tried to do what you said and couldn't get to where you wanted me
> to be.

Please explain <g> - Unless your BIOS is not set to read the A: drive at
boot-up. I don't quite see the 'dual boot' relevance - see above.

> ..... but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5 years
> old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up)...

Quite likely. And, if you've been in the BIOS, that *may* explain you Boot
sequence - if it's not seeing the A: at boot-up.

But probably all very academic, if you are seeing Willy later

> ... I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer

So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your existing model

> [...]
>> > It
>> > keeps telling me to put a blank CD in it. I checked it with both Roxio
>> > and
>> > Music Match burning proggies.
>> >
>> > I checked Device Manager......all seems to be OK. But before I went
> away,
>> > used MusicMatch to record a music CD and it was messed up halfway thru,
>> > which I blamed on the program coz I always use Roxio.
>> >
>> > I am wondering if this drive has bitten the dust. I put a recorded CD
> in
>> > it
>> > and it wouldn't read that either. Yet the DVD Rom drive which I play
>> > songs
>> > on did.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts? Or do I go and visit Willy coz this is broken. 8-(((
>> >
>> > Cheers....Heather
>> >
>> > PS.....The Mouse is safely home and had a wonderful holiday!!!

June 27, 2005 4:19:19 AM

Hi Mart......

I still have the dual boot *start* setup, but due to the old BIOS
(motherboard?), neither I or Willy could install XP or a second HD, so he
left the dual boot at the start, but there is nothing other than WinME on
here.

Complicated I suppose, but it didn't worry me. However, using a WinME boot
disk doesn't get me into the DOS screen you were talking about.

I did see it reading the floppy at the beginning, but it just didn't go to
what you were describing. Talk about a *hybrid*!!! I still have some XP
folders on here from the failed install by me in February, but Noel helped
me get rid of a lot of them.

Then when Willy tried to install it, he got the same crashing. Seems that
MDG where I bought it put in a really old motherboard or BIOS (get confused
on those two), but Noel saw 2 or 3 dates on the Everest Report.

So while it works fine as ME, it really ticks me off that they (and a lot of
the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will ever
find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems way
more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my XP
Home.

Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at it
tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
fingers crossed??

You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your existing
model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this machine??

Cheers....Heather

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o HdF7VqeFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >>
> >> Now, at the E:\> prompt, type "DIR /P" (no quotes and note the space)
> >> Then
> >> press Return.
> >>
> >> You should see a listing of the CD contents.
> >>
> >> Try again with the (data) CD in the other drive, this time typing "F:"
at
> >> the "E:\>" prompt to change drives and at the F:\> prompt type "DIR /P"
> > for
> >> the listing.
> >>
> >> Come back with your results. Give EXACT errors reports - if any, but if
> > you
> >> can't "see" it in RM DOS,

> >> Maybe - in more senses than 'just plain dead'. Try an Audio cleaning
disk
> >> kit (from your local HiFi shop, to clean any dust on the laser etc., -
or
> >> more likely, a failing CD-RW, in which case, visit Willy.

June 27, 2005 1:26:45 PM

Heather, regarding your last point :-

> You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
> existing
> model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this
> machine??

My message was essentially that as you are (sooner or later) going to invest
in a Brand New PC, then not to 'waste' your hard earned cash on fettling
your existing PC, but rather, put it towards your new one. If you can manage
without a burner for a while, then that's "money in the bank". However, if a
burner is essential for your day-to-day stuff, then buy the cheapest CD
writer you can find, just to see you thru'.

I just wonder at what point the

> ... WinME boot
> disk doesn't get me into the DOS screen you were talking about.

goes wrong. Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
with CD-ROM support."?

Good luck with your visit to Willy

> [...]
>> > it.
>> > Nor do Music Match or Roxio. Settings in Roxio are definitely for the
> CD
>> > Writer drive.
>> >
>> > So I guess it is off to Willy the Wonder Tech tomorrow and ask him to
> fix
>> > me
>> > up. I am teetering on the brink of buying a new computer and this
> latest
>> > snafu is shoving me over the edge.....lol!! Hell.....the roof cost me
>> > 4
>> > times what a new computer will!! Next is the furnace. Another $3500.
>> > Time
>> > to spend some money on moi, I think!!
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help, but I guess the drive is screwed up. It is 4.5
>> > years
>> > old (I assume, after that BIOS screw-up).....could be 10 for all I

June 27, 2005 1:26:46 PM

Heather, have you tried several name-brands of CD-RW media? Some
readers/writers are finicky.

BTW, when will Slim Hips and her SO be in Brampton next?
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o mFr1HveFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Heather, regarding your last point :-

<SNIP>
June 27, 2005 4:36:02 PM

the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with CD-ROM
support."?<<<

NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP screen?
Will talk to Willy today.

And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one, copy
over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of the
extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.

Cheers....Heather

> [...]
lot
> > of
> > the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will
ever
> > find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems
way
> > more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my
XP
> > Home.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at
it
> > tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
> > fingers crossed??
> >
> > You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
> > existing
> > model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this

June 27, 2005 4:38:06 PM

Tried 3 different brands. No go.

SH dumped the SO about 16 months ago. Seems he was a less than intelligent
con man (user) and she booted him out. She said "being single with 2 cats
is preferable to living with a loser", or words to that effect. (G)

Figgs

> Heather, have you tried several name-brands of CD-RW media? Some
> readers/writers are finicky.
>
> BTW, when will Slim Hips and her SO be in Brampton next?
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o mFr1HveFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> > Heather, regarding your last point :-
> >

> <SNIP>

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:19:24 PM

Mmm...

> >Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
> > with CD-ROM support."?
>
> NO.....couldn't find that.

Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on Boot-up.

I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.

> [...]
> lot
>> > of
>> > the big companies) put inferior parts in coz they figure no one will
> ever
>> > find out. I still may call and blast them, but OTOH, this Willy seems
> way
>> > more trustworthy and I will get him to build me a new computer using my
> XP
>> > Home.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the advice......but I guess I better let him have a look at
> it
>> > tomorrow and who knows....it might just be something minor. Got those
>> > fingers crossed??
>> >
>> > You said....."So don't be tempted to throw good after bad, on your
>> > existing
>> > model" meaning in Cumbrian talk not to put a new CD Writer on this

June 28, 2005 9:34:42 PM

Hi Mart......et al

Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on this
one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no point
in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new computer. I
will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1 parts.....not
stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to advise
me on.

And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that might
be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.

Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him later
this week.

Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.

Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.

> Mmm...
>
> > >Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer
> > > with CD-ROM support."?
> >
> > NO.....couldn't find that.
>
> Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on
Boot-up.

> I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
> > Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with
> > CD-ROM
> > support."?<<<
> >
> > NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
> > instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP
> > screen?
> > Will talk to Willy today.
> >
> > And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one,
> > copy
> > over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of
the
> > extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.
> >
> > Cheers....Heather
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > news:o mFr1HveFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> Heather, regarding your last point :-

> >> My message was essentially that as you are (sooner or later) going to
> > invest
> >> in a Brand New PC, then not to 'waste' your hard earned cash on
fettling
> >> your existing PC, but rather, put it towards your new one. If you can
> > manage
> >> without a burner for a while, then that's "money in the bank". However,
> >> if
> >> burner is essential for your day-to-day stuff, then buy the cheapest CD
> >> writer you can find, just to see you thru'.
> >>
> >> I just wonder at what point the

> >> goes wrong. Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start
> > computer
> >> with CD-ROM support."?
> >>
> >> Good luck with your visit to Willy
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > he
WinME
> > on

WinME

> > XP
> > helped

> > that

> > lot
> > ever
> > way
> > XP

> > it

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:52:18 AM

> not stuff from the Far East,

So what's he going to build you? A manual typewriter using museum parts?
I think you'll find that the majority of parts are sourced from the Far
East regardless of the name of the company on the label.

As for your boot problem all that is needed is to SYS C: from a Win Me
boot floppy to remove the NT loader and get back to booting straight to
Win Me.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Mart......et al
>
> Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff
> on this one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that
> there is no point in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to
> build me a new computer. I will go over and he will list all the
> stuff he will use (#1 parts.....not stuff from the Far East,
> grin).....and I will post it for you guys to advise me on.
>
> And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
> might be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
>
> Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing
> him later this week.
>
> Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
> weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
>
> Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.
June 29, 2005 3:18:34 AM

Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.

Shane

> [...]
> Boot-up.
>>
>> I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > the DOS screen you were talking about.... goes wrong.
>> > Did you get the (DOS) Menu containing option 2. "Start computer with
>> > CD-ROM
>> > support."?<<<
>> >
>> > NO.....couldn't find that. So problems right at the start of your
>> > instructions. Had about 10 other choices. Possibly that was an XP
>> > screen?
>> > Will talk to Willy today.
>> >
>> > And once I get set up with a new XP computer, I will network this one,
>> > copy
>> > over all the things I need and then reformat it, I guess. Get rid of
> the
>> > extraneous folders and start fresh, using it for backup.

June 29, 2005 3:31:34 AM

I checked a Toronto spot and the newer Samsung one was about $23. I may
just put a new one on here. The monitor is Samsung as well, but slightly
rebadged.

I find that things in the UK cost the same *number* in GBP as we pay in Cdn.
dollars.....a killer when we visit your country.

Cheers....Heather

"Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
> Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
> 40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
> company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
> everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.
>

> Shane
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Mart......et al
> >
> > Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on
> > this
> > one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no
> > point
> > in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new
computer.
> > will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1
parts.....not
> > stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to
> > advise
> > me on.
> >
> > And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
might
> > be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
> >
> > Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him
> > later
> > this week.
> >
> > Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
> > weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
> >
> > Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.
> >
> > Heather
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Mmm...

> >> Ah!. Sounds like you're BIOS is not set to look at the A: drive on
> > Boot-up.
> >>
> >> I'm sure Willy should be able to sort that for you.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> > the

> > fettling

HD,
> > so
> > WinME

> > WinME

> > go
> > some
Noel

> > seems
> > my

> > at
> > those

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:54:26 PM

Good to see (elsewhere in the thread) that you are making progress Heather,
and I would agree with Mike and Shane's remarks on 'sources' of components.
You only have to read the NG's to see that major brands seem to fail just as
often as Far Eastern, unbranded stuff.

That's one major advantage of a desktop (vs. laptop) in that if a component
dies, it's fairly easily replaced without too much 'down-time'. And, if
Willy has a good supplier, then failures under 'warranty' (which DO happen!)
shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding your 'second thoughts' about putting a new Samsung CD-RW in the
old machine - then, unless you *really* need it, put your money towards a
decent pair of DVD/CD readers and burners on your prospective PC. The
chances are that once you've got your new PC (with XP), your old one will
never see the light of day again - and you'll wonder what on earth you've
been pratting about at, for all this time <g>

Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll wonder
how you ever lived without them.

news:o EuZnrFfFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I checked a Toronto spot and the newer Samsung one was about $23. I may
> just put a new one on here. The monitor is Samsung as well, but slightly
> rebadged.
>
> I find that things in the UK cost the same *number* in GBP as we pay in
> Cdn.
> dollars.....a killer when we visit your country.
>
> Cheers....Heather
>
> "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Apropos parts from the Far East and your CDRW drive, I replaced my aging
>> Ricoh with a Sony costing £23. The Ricoh burned at 8x, the Sony burns at
>> 40x. A very satisfactory product, but Sony are an outstanding electronics
>> company, one of the innovaters. As we get ripped off in the UK for
>> everything, it seems unlikely you wouldn't find a better deal.
>>

>> Shane
>>
>> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Hi Mart......et al
>> >
>> > Talked to Willy this afternoon and he is going to fix the boot stuff on
>> > this
>> > one (A drive, dual boot, etc), but he agrees with you that there is no
>> > point
>> > in fixing up this CD-RW thingie, and is going to build me a new
> computer.
>> > will go over and he will list all the stuff he will use (#1
> parts.....not
>> > stuff from the Far East, grin).....and I will post it for you guys to
>> > advise
>> > me on.
>> >
>> > And I will get a router and network the two of them.....I think that
> might
>> > be the best way to get stuff moved around, etc.
>> >
>> > Any comments or bits of advice are most welcome. I will be seeing him
>> > later
>> > this week.
>> >
>> > Cheers from another 40+ muggy day in Brampton!! Lordy, I hate this
>> > weather!! Smog alerts.....humidity alerts......heat alerts.
>> >
>> > Shoot....I AM alert.....but the weather isn't, lol.
>> >
>> > Heather
>> >

>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>> > Boot-up.

> me

> one,
>> > the

>> > fettling
> can

> HD,
>> > so
>> > WinME

>> > WinME

> didn't
>> > go
>> > some
> Noel

> (and
> will
>> > seems
> using
>> > my

> look
>> > at
>> > those

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:08:48 PM

Good point Mart, I have four on the back and two on the front of this box
and it's great when I want to plug in my card reader or my multifunction
printer, that way I don't have to leave them always connected to plug in
when needed without the scrambling on hands and knees under and behind my
desk <g>
Joan

Mart wrote:

> Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll
> wonder how you ever lived without them.
>
> Mart

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:57:31 PM

Joan, when I had to 're-furbish' my XP box at xmas (long saga), I took the
opportunity to 'enhance' the USB1 mobo by adding a USB2/Firewire pci card
and hence, reap the benefits of USB2. But in the process, I replaced my
(standard) A: drive and substituted it with a combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card
Reader :-http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
So that takes care of another cable <g>

Double bonus!!

Mart

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Good point Mart, I have four on the back and two on the front of this box
> and it's great when I want to plug in my card reader or my multifunction
> printer, that way I don't have to leave them always connected to plug in
> when needed without the scrambling on hands and knees under and behind my
> desk <g>
> Joan
>
> Mart wrote:
>>
>> Just make sure that your new machine has plenty of USB2 ports, you'll
>> wonder how you ever lived without them.
>>
>> Mart

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 5:51:17 PM

Hi Mart my card reader looks similiar to that one and can be put
internally but I just have it sitting on top of the box and plug the USB
cable into a front port when I need to use it <g>

Same as my printer, my colour laser is permanently plugged in by USB in
the back of the machine but my multifunction printer, which also has a
card reader part just has to be plugged in the front if and when I want to
scan/print/ or whatever using inkjet <g> of course if I want to just look
at what's on my camera card and print an index I don't even have to
connect it to the PC.

It's frightening all this technology <g>
Joan

Mart wrote:
> Joan, when I had to 're-furbish' my XP box at xmas (long saga), I
> took the opportunity to 'enhance' the USB1 mobo by adding a
> USB2/Firewire pci card and hence, reap the benefits of USB2. But in
> the process, I replaced my (standard) A: drive and substituted it
> with a combined FDD & 7 in 1 Card Reader
> :-http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...
> So that takes care of another cable <g>
> Double bonus!!
>
> Mart

June 30, 2005 6:08:57 AM

Thanks, Mart. I started to answer earlier and had mouse & freezing
problems.....got it sorted out now. Think this computer is trying to tell
me something??

Anyway......I will go over to see Willy tomorrow. I am gathering up nuggets
from here to tell him. But he figures he can put together a new computer
with DVD Writer included for about $800........which is a rather good price.
But I will make a list of what I want. USB ports being one of them. Only
have 2 on this computer.

Considering I bought this one about 4.5 years ago, it has lasted well. I
put as much *good stuff* on as I thought I might need, and I still have not
made use of it all. My CD Rom drive is also a DVD one, for instance. And I
got a large bundle of MS progs with it which I never use. Mike M. and I
much prefer WordPerfect, for instance.

So I will keep you all posted and probably will be asking questions. May
yet put a burner on this. I intend to network them, but as you say.....I
may never touch it once I get used to XP, grin.

Thanks....Heather

!