Sound woes

martin

I have a M6VCG Biostar motherboard with onboard sound (VIA audio controller)
recently the SOUND failed - I could get no sound at all - tried all
combinations of fix including advice received here - with no luck at all.

So I just tried to install a SoundBlasterlive card but could not get that
working either, although it seemed to be installed ok with device reported
as working properly. CD audio was ok through this card but nothing else
worked.

someone advised me to disable the onboard soundchip in the bios setup -
could not see how to do this, as setup says "onchip sound = auto" with no
option seeming to be available other than auto.

anyway after a while I took the sblive card back out, rebooted, then, lo and
behold, the on board sound started working again in all respects. However
this joy was shortlived because it has since completely failed again. :(

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about :-
1. the onboard sound problem
2. how to get sblive card working alongside

Many thanks

Martin

Was there software and drivers that came with the SB sound card?? Did you
install it, if so??? I know this sounds painfully obvious, but, have you
checked the volume control panel for the SB card to make sure the speakers
are not muted? Also, in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio (or Sounds and
Multimedia) are you able to play and hear system sounds?? Hate to ask
questions when you are looking for answers, but,........
The only other suggestion, at this point, would be to thoroughly check the
connections on the motherboard, since your sound returned after installing
and removing the SB card. IIRC, Windows Help has a troubleshooting section
for sounds that is most helpful.
Heirloom, old and not much help

"Martin" <mb007a6180extracrap@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a M6VCG Biostar motherboard with onboard sound (VIA audio
>controller)
> recently the SOUND failed - I could get no sound at all - tried all
> combinations of fix including advice received here - with no luck at all.
>
> So I just tried to install a SoundBlasterlive card but could not get that
> working either, although it seemed to be installed ok with device reported
> as working properly. CD audio was ok through this card but nothing else
> worked.
>
> someone advised me to disable the onboard soundchip in the bios setup -
> could not see how to do this, as setup says "onchip sound = auto" with no
> option seeming to be available other than auto.
>
> anyway after a while I took the sblive card back out, rebooted, then, lo
> and
> behold, the on board sound started working again in all respects. However
> this joy was shortlived because it has since completely failed again. :(
>
> I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about :-
> 1. the onboard sound problem
> 2. how to get sblive card working alongside
>
> Many thanks
>
> Martin

Delboy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi Martin

Little while ago I had some sound problems that varied from no problem to
severely distorted sound to no sound. I convinced myself it was the on board
(SoundBlaster) chip on its way out. Purchased a sblive 24 bit card and was
also advised to disable in the bios.
With the card and software installed, check in Start|Settings|Control
Panel|System|Device Manager|Sound Video & Game controllers for a conflict.
Recommend even if there isn't one go to Properties for the old card and tick
Disable in this profile. Should cure your problems. (at least it did for me)
My bios has an AC97 sound item with two settings, Auto & Disabled. Doesn't
make any difference which setting after disabling.

--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams