Scan Disk

Hi,
I am trying to run Scan Disk on my C drive. I have deleted all running
programs except Explorer and Systray. But, it keeps stalling and when it
stalls it freezes the whole system and the only way to get out of it is to
switch off and re-boot.

I don't know if it is relevant but I have noticed some new program names
when I delete the running ones. 'Motive directory', 'Mediaaccess' and
'Mediaacck'. And I now often receive a warning that 'Motive Directory' has
caused an error and will now close.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
David42

KB

I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are unfortunately
viruses.

Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system scans:
You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
viruses are not present on your PC
http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

- update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
CoolWebSearch hijacker.

Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
(download it without the accompanying rubbish)

download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
your system.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
____________________________________

Good luck.

KB
"David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to run Scan Disk on my C drive. I have deleted all running
> programs except Explorer and Systray. But, it keeps stalling and when it
> stalls it freezes the whole system and the only way to get out of it is to
> switch off and re-boot.
>
> I don't know if it is relevant but I have noticed some new program names
> when I delete the running ones. 'Motive directory', 'Mediaaccess' and
> 'Mediaacck'. And I now often receive a warning that 'Motive Directory' has
> caused an error and will now close.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
> David42

Excellent advice, KB.
After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem running
scandisk in windows, as I did.
In that case there are two more options available:
1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
scandisk in windows.
Just in case...

Harry.

"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are unfortunately
> viruses.
>
> Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system
scans:
> You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
>
> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> viruses are not present on your PC
> http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
>
> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
>
> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
>
> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> your system.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> ____________________________________
>
> Good luck.
>
> KB
> "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to run Scan Disk on my C drive. I have deleted all running
> > programs except Explorer and Systray. But, it keeps stalling and when it
> > stalls it freezes the whole system and the only way to get out of it is
> > switch off and re-boot.
> >
> > I don't know if it is relevant but I have noticed some new program names
> > when I delete the running ones. 'Motive directory', 'Mediaaccess' and
> > 'Mediaacck'. And I now often receive a warning that 'Motive Directory'
has
> > caused an error and will now close.
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> > David42

Thank you very much gentlemen, looks like I have some work to do!!

David

"webster72n" wrote:

> Excellent advice, KB.
> After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem running
> scandisk in windows, as I did.
> In that case there are two more options available:
> 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
> 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
> scandisk in windows.
> Just in case...
>
> Harry.
>
> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are unfortunately
> > viruses.
> >
> > Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system
> scans:
> > You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
> >
> > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
> > viruses are not present on your PC
> > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
> >
> > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
> >
> > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> >
> > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
> >
> > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
> > your system.
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > ____________________________________
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > KB
> > "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I am trying to run Scan Disk on my C drive. I have deleted all running
> > > programs except Explorer and Systray. But, it keeps stalling and when it
> > > stalls it freezes the whole system and the only way to get out of it is
> > > switch off and re-boot.
> > >
> > > I don't know if it is relevant but I have noticed some new program names
> > > when I delete the running ones. 'Motive directory', 'Mediaaccess' and
> > > 'Mediaacck'. And I now often receive a warning that 'Motive Directory'
> has
> > > caused an error and will now close.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> > > David42

KB

Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.

We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
virus' <vbg>.

KB

> Excellent advice, KB.
> After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem
running
> scandisk in windows, as I did.
> In that case there are two more options available:
> 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
> 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
> scandisk in windows.
> Just in case...
>
> Harry.
>
> "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are unfortunately
> > viruses.
> >
> > Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system
> scans:
> > You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
> >
> > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
A-V-disabling
> > viruses are not present on your PC
> > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
> >
> > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
> >
> > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> >
> > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
> >
> > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
from
> > your system.
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > ____________________________________
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > KB
> > "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I am trying to run Scan Disk on my C drive. I have deleted all
running
> > > programs except Explorer and Systray. But, it keeps stalling and when
it
> > > stalls it freezes the whole system and the only way to get out of it
is
> > > switch off and re-boot.
> > >
> > > I don't know if it is relevant but I have noticed some new program
names
> > > when I delete the running ones. 'Motive directory', 'Mediaaccess' and
> > > 'Mediaacck'. And I now often receive a warning that 'Motive Directory'
> has
> > > caused an error and will now close.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions gratefully received.
> > > David42

KB

Go get 'em, David. To find info on 'unrecognized' running processes you can
use google Advanced Search. Enter the questionable file in the 'include the
exact phrase' box and the word 'virus' or 'spyware' or 'malware' in the
include all words box. It's really quite simple. You may wish to do your
own google to find a specific removal tool for your particular illness, but
Noel's instructions are good to know and the 'tools' are good ones to have.

FYI, I've run scandisk followed by defrag in safe mode. It runs best that
way although you need to rearrange your desktop icons afterward. Some have
used the ScanDefrag program successfully, although I didn't (and I think I'm
the exception) have success with it.

Good luck, David. Post back with what you find and I can help, if possible

> Thank you very much gentlemen, looks like I have some work to do!!
>
> David
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>

> > Excellent advice, KB.
> > After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem
running
> > scandisk in windows, as I did.
> > In that case there are two more options available:
> > 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
> > 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
> > scandisk in windows.
> > Just in case...
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > > I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are
unfortunately
> > > viruses.
> > >
> > > Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system
> > scans:
> > > You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
> > >
> > > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
A-V-disabling
> > > viruses are not present on your PC
> > > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
> > >
> > > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
> > >
> > > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> > > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> > > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> > >
> > > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> > > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> > > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
> > >
> > > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com,
install,
> > > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
from
> > > your system.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > > ____________________________________
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > KB
> > > "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Directory'
> > has

Delboy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi KB

I couldn't get on with ScanDefrag either, Trying to run in restricted mode
didn't seem to work. It just kept in loading everything else and still
stalled scandisk with stop and starts.

I clean up either in safe mode or run enditall and disable internet with
zonealarm for a stall free clean up.

Tip I picked up from one of the ms.public ngs. (sorry, can't remember the
tipper to credit him).
In normal mode Start|Run|scanreg|OK say yes to "already backed up today,
backup?
Boot to safe mode
Scandisk, Defrag
Start|Run|scanreg /restore and select the first restoration in the
list.(note space between reg and /) and say yes to the warnings.
Computer will re-boot back to normal mode with desktop restored.
Of course if you do any spyboting or adawaring in safe mode, this will undo
all your cleaning.

--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Douglas Adams

> Go get 'em, David. To find info on 'unrecognized' running processes you
can
> use google Advanced Search. Enter the questionable file in the 'include
the
> exact phrase' box and the word 'virus' or 'spyware' or 'malware' in the
> include all words box. It's really quite simple. You may wish to do your
> own google to find a specific removal tool for your particular illness,
but
> Noel's instructions are good to know and the 'tools' are good ones to
have.

> FYI, I've run scandisk followed by defrag in safe mode. It runs best that
> way although you need to rearrange your desktop icons afterward. Some
have
> used the ScanDefrag program successfully, although I didn't (and I think
I'm
> the exception) have success with it.
>
> Good luck, David. Post back with what you find and I can help, if
possible
> <g>.
>
> KB
> "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you very much gentlemen, looks like I have some work to do!!
> >
> > David
> >
> > "webster72n" wrote:
> >

> > > Excellent advice, KB.
> > > After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem
> running
> > > scandisk in windows, as I did.
> > > In that case there are two more options available:
> > > 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
> > > 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
> > > scandisk in windows.
> > > Just in case...
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >
> > > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> unfortunately

> > > scans:

> A-V-disabling

> install,
> from

> running
> when it
> is

> names
> and
> Directory'
> > > has

I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully I
won't run into the sand too quickly.

I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.

I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.

My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
that was stalling too.

When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
'Mediaacck' no longer show.

BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on a
'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough' option.

I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you think?

David

"KB" wrote:

> Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.
>
> We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
> virus' <vbg>.
>
> KB
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Excellent advice, KB.
> > After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem
> running
> > scandisk in windows, as I did.
> > In that case there are two more options available:
> > 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
> > 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
> > scandisk in windows.
> > Just in case...
> >
> > Harry.
> >
> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> > > I've googled Motive directory and Mediaaccess and they are unfortunately
> > > viruses.
> > >
> > > Courtesty of Noel Patton, I'd start here and also run AV full system
> > scans:
> > > You may already have a virus/spyware hijack
> > >
> > > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
> A-V-disabling
> > > viruses are not present on your PC
> > > http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp
> > >
> > > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
> > >
> > > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
> > > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
> > > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
> > >
> > > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
> > > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
> > > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
> > >
> > > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
> > > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
> from
> > > your system.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> > > ____________________________________
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > KB
> > > "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> running
> it
> is

> names
> > has

KB

Try running scandisk then defrag in safe mode. To get to safe mode, hold
down your ctrl key right after turning on your computer. If ctrl key
doesn't work, hit Start-Help and search for safe mode in your windows helper
to find the procedure to use. You will be given boot options. Choose safe
mode (#3, I believe) and you'll be all set. Note that you'll need to
rearrange your desktop icons after rebooting to normal mode.

Don't forget to get and use the antimalware tools previously recommended.
CWShredder, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Good computer health tips that can keep your system up to speed can be found
here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm

If you're interested in running a good online virus scan, go here:

http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php

Click the autoclean box once the updates are finished.

Good luck, David.

HTH

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How_to_remove_the_Media_Acess_Adware-t13393.html

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully I
> won't run into the sand too quickly.
>
> I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.
>
> I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.
>
> My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
> that was stalling too.
>

> When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
> 'Mediaacck' no longer show.
>
> BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on a
> 'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough'
> option.
>
> I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you
> think?
>
> David
>
> "KB" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.
>>
>> We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
>> virus' <vbg>.
>>
>> KB
>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Excellent advice, KB.
>> > After performing the suggested tasks David may still have a problem
>> running
>> > scandisk in windows, as I did.
>> > In that case there are two more options available:
>> > 1. Run scandisk in Safe Mode.
>> > 2. Disable all running programs in systray before running
>> > scandisk in windows.
>> > Just in case...
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >
>> > "KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message

>> > scans:

>> A-V-disabling

>> from

>> running
>> it
>> is

>> names
>> > has

KB

Good advice, Noel.

KB

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How_to_remove_the_Media_Acess_Adware-t13393.html

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully
> > won't run into the sand too quickly.
> >
> > I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.
> >
> > I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.
> >
> > My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
> > that was stalling too.
> >

> > When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
> > 'Mediaacck' no longer show.
> >
> > BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on
> > 'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough'
> > option.
> >
> > I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you
> > think?
> >
> > David
> >
> > "KB" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.
> >>
> >> We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
> >> virus' <vbg>.
> >>
> >> KB
> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> >> running

> >> A-V-disabling

> >> from

> >> running
> >> it
> >> is

> >> names

Thanks for that; I'll try to work through the lot to see if I can resolve this.
Cheers,
David42

"KB" wrote:

> Try running scandisk then defrag in safe mode. To get to safe mode, hold
> down your ctrl key right after turning on your computer. If ctrl key
> doesn't work, hit Start-Help and search for safe mode in your windows helper
> to find the procedure to use. You will be given boot options. Choose safe
> mode (#3, I believe) and you'll be all set. Note that you'll need to
> rearrange your desktop icons after rebooting to normal mode.
>
> Don't forget to get and use the antimalware tools previously recommended.
> CWShredder, Ad-Aware and Spybot.
>
> Good computer health tips that can keep your system up to speed can be found
> here:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
>
> If you're interested in running a good online virus scan, go here:
>
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php
>
> Click the autoclean box once the updates are finished.
>
> Good luck, David.
>
> HTH
>
> KB
> "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully I
> > won't run into the sand too quickly.
> >
> > I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.
> >
> > I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.
> >
> > My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
> > that was stalling too.
> >

> > When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
> > 'Mediaacck' no longer show.
> >
> > BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on a
> > 'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough'
> option.
> >
> > I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you
> think?
> >
> > David
> >
> > "KB" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.
> > >
> > > We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
> > > virus' <vbg>.
> > >
> > > KB
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > > running

> unfortunately

> > > A-V-disabling

> install,
> > > from

> > > running
> when
> > > it
> it
> > > is

> > > names
> and
> Directory'

Hi, back again.
I have installed a number of anti 'everything' programs. I have installed,
updated and run:-
Ad Aware
AVG 7
Cool Web search
Registry Scan
Skybot S&D
Stinger Virus,
and Zone Labs.
All as a result of your advice, many thanks, and a good download from AVG
which says pretty much the same thing as you did.
I felt squeaky clean and scanned and defragged my 'D' drive. Then it all
went wrong. On the 'C' drive the scan stalled and the defrag also would not
finish with the comment that there was a fault on the 'C' drive and I should
use scan disk. I have tried it in 'normal' and 'thorough' and in safe mode
and regular.
I don't know what else I can do and if you have any ideas I would be more
than grateful.
Cheers,
David

> Try running scandisk then defrag in safe mode. To get to safe mode, hold
> down your ctrl key right after turning on your computer. If ctrl key
> doesn't work, hit Start-Help and search for safe mode in your windows helper
> to find the procedure to use. You will be given boot options. Choose safe
> mode (#3, I believe) and you'll be all set. Note that you'll need to
> rearrange your desktop icons after rebooting to normal mode.
>
> Don't forget to get and use the antimalware tools previously recommended.
> CWShredder, Ad-Aware and Spybot.
>
> Good computer health tips that can keep your system up to speed can be found
> here:
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
>
> If you're interested in running a good online virus scan, go here:
>
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php
>
> Click the autoclean box once the updates are finished.
>
> Good luck, David.
>
> HTH
>
> KB
> "David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully I
> > won't run into the sand too quickly.
> >
> > I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.
> >
> > I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.
> >
> > My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
> > that was stalling too.
> >

> > When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
> > 'Mediaacck' no longer show.
> >
> > BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on a
> > 'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough'
> option.
> >
> > I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you
> think?
> >
> > David
> >
> > "KB" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, Harry. And your notes are worthy ones as well.
> > >
> > > We all know about 'antivirus' tools, right? My family calls me 'uncle
> > > virus' <vbg>.
> > >
> > > KB
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > > running

> unfortunately

> > > A-V-disabling

> install,
> > > from

> > > running
> when
> > > it
> it
> > > is

> > > names
> and
> Directory'

Boot using your Emergency Boot Disk (floppy) and run Scandisk from there.

Rick
(and of course hoping that you're running *anti* CoolWebSearch)

David42 wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>Good luck, David.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>KB
>>"David42" <David42@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I have done thus far; hopefully I
>>>won't run into the sand too quickly.
>>>
>>>I ran a McAfee free scan which detected no viruses.
>>>
>>>I removed 'Media Access' by using the 'Add/Remove programs' facilty.
>>>
>>>My AVG daily virus update is now running correctly, for a couple of days
>>>that was stalling too.
>>>

>>>When I close running programs prior to a Scan Disk, 'Media Access' and
>>>'Mediaacck' no longer show.
>>>
>>>BUT, I still can't complete a scan. It hangs about two thirds through on a
>>>'standard' scan option and about one third through on the 'thorough'
>>
>>option.
>>
>>>I don't know if this changes the next steps I should take, what do you

Your C: partition could be too big (>32 GB) for Windows ME. I have had this
problem, which I resolved by dividing two 60* GB drives into <32 GB
partitions.

But it sounds like you may (also?) have a hardware problem. I couldn't
defragment one of my drives, although otherwise it worked fine and SMART
detected nothing. Defrag suggested Scandisk, which also couldn't process the
drive. Turned out to be a defective drive. Problem went away when I replaced
it. But I still had to have <32 GB partitions.

> [...]
> >>doesn't work, hit Start-Help and search for safe mode in your windows
helper
> >>to find the procedure to use. You will be given boot options. Choose
safe
> >>mode (#3, I believe) and you'll be all set. Note that you'll need to
> >>rearrange your desktop icons after rebooting to normal mode.
> >>
> >>Don't forget to get and use the antimalware tools previously
recommended.
> >>CWShredder, Ad-Aware and Spybot.
> >>
> >>Good computer health tips that can keep your system up to speed can be
found
> >>here:
> >>
> >>http://www.aumha.org/a/health.htm
> >>
> >>If you're interested in running a good online virus scan, go here:
> >>
> >>http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/indexie.php
> >>
> >>Click the autoclean box once the updates are finished.

If that's the case it's not a Windows ME problem - it's a hardware (BIOS)
problem - which is best addressed by updating the BIOS rather than adding
DDO software, if possible

Windows ME will happily cope with HD's up to (and above) 132MB - but may
have problems with Partitions greater than 132MB

--

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> Your C: partition could be too big (>32 GB) for Windows ME. I have had
> this
> problem, which I resolved by dividing two 60* GB drives into <32 GB
> partitions.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:54:08 +0100, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>If that's the case it's not a Windows ME problem - it's a hardware (BIOS)
>problem - which is best addressed by updating the BIOS rather than adding
>DDO software, if possible

Yes - and may not be possible, given that usually the 8G and 32G
barriers are "hard" in that they lock up on BIOS detect, so you can't
get far enough to load a DDO as you could in the 508M days.

>Windows ME will happily cope with HD's up to (and above) 132MB - but may
>have problems with Partitions greater than 132MB

Yep. The original poster's prolly got a dying HD, and should forget
about Windows this, Scandisk that, and defrag the next thing until all
data has been safely evacuated from the drive.

I just wish more advisors had an awareness of this situation, because
I'm getting "posting fatigue" from these sort of threads...

"My PC locks up when doing Scandisk even after it says it's repaired
bad clusters, and now I can't boot Windows"

' Try defrag, booting Windows into Safe Mode, try a System Restore,
else just re-install Windows, you won't lose your settings! '

Every single bit of that advice is wrong, and dangerously so.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Where do you see any indication that the HD is dying catastrophically ?

Rick
(now there's another recent poster "I got a new mouse and it still
freezes" sounds like a memory or HD failure)

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:54:08 +0100, "Noel Paton"
> <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>If that's the case it's not a Windows ME problem - it's a hardware (BIOS)
>>problem - which is best addressed by updating the BIOS rather than adding
>>DDO software, if possible
>

> Yes - and may not be possible, given that usually the 8G and 32G
> barriers are "hard" in that they lock up on BIOS detect, so you can't
> get far enough to load a DDO as you could in the 508M days.
>

>>Windows ME will happily cope with HD's up to (and above) 132MB - but may
>>have problems with Partitions greater than 132MB
>

> Yep. The original poster's prolly got a dying HD, and should forget
> about Windows this, Scandisk that, and defrag the next thing until all
> data has been safely evacuated from the drive.
>
> I just wish more advisors had an awareness of this situation, because
> I'm getting "posting fatigue" from these sort of threads...
>
> "My PC locks up when doing Scandisk even after it says it's repaired
> bad clusters, and now I can't boot Windows"
>
> ' Try defrag, booting Windows into Safe Mode, try a System Restore,
> else just re-install Windows, you won't lose your settings! '
>
> Every single bit of that advice is wrong, and dangerously so.
>

>>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
>
> Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
> better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
>
>>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -

Hi,
"all the data safely evacuated from the drive". Is that what is needed
then? If so how do I do it?

Anyway, I ran Scandisk having booted from the floppy and was quite
encouraged with the number of errors being found and corrected. I ran both
Scandisk/All/Surface and Scandisk/All. But 25% through File System it
announced 'Out of Memory'.
Is this RAM? I have 512 which is normally ok for what I want.
Any next moves? or should I scrap all this and think about the evacuation
option?
Thanks very much,
David

"Rick T" wrote:

> Where do you see any indication that the HD is dying catastrophically ?
>

> Rick
> (now there's another recent poster "I got a new mouse and it still
> freezes" sounds like a memory or HD failure)
>
> cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:54:08 +0100, "Noel Paton"
> > <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> >

> >>If that's the case it's not a Windows ME problem - it's a hardware (BIOS)
> >>problem - which is best addressed by updating the BIOS rather than adding
> >>DDO software, if possible
> >

> > Yes - and may not be possible, given that usually the 8G and 32G
> > barriers are "hard" in that they lock up on BIOS detect, so you can't
> > get far enough to load a DDO as you could in the 508M days.
> >

> >>Windows ME will happily cope with HD's up to (and above) 132MB - but may
> >>have problems with Partitions greater than 132MB
> >

> > Yep. The original poster's prolly got a dying HD, and should forget
> > about Windows this, Scandisk that, and defrag the next thing until all
> > data has been safely evacuated from the drive.
> >
> > I just wish more advisors had an awareness of this situation, because
> > I'm getting "posting fatigue" from these sort of threads...
> >
> > "My PC locks up when doing Scandisk even after it says it's repaired
> > bad clusters, and now I can't boot Windows"
> >
> > ' Try defrag, booting Windows into Safe Mode, try a System Restore,
> > else just re-install Windows, you won't lose your settings! '
> >
> > Every single bit of that advice is wrong, and dangerously so.
> >

> >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -
> >
> > Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
> > better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!
> >
> >>------------------------ ---- --- -- - - - -

Evacuate. And didn't we answer your last question a while ago? I responded
to it in depth.

> Hi,
> "all the data safely evacuated from the drive". Is that what is needed
> then? If so how do I do it?
>
> Anyway, I ran Scandisk having booted from the floppy and was quite
> encouraged with the number of errors being found and corrected. I ran both
> Scandisk/All/Surface and Scandisk/All. But 25% through File System it
> announced 'Out of Memory'.
> Is this RAM? I have 512 which is normally ok for what I want.
> Any next moves? or should I scrap all this and think about the evacuation
> option?
> Thanks very much,
> David
>

> "Rick T" wrote:
>
> > Where do you see any indication that the HD is dying catastrophically ?
> >

> > Rick
> > (now there's another recent poster "I got a new mouse and it still
> > freezes" sounds like a memory or HD failure)
> >
> > cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:

> > > Yes - and may not be possible, given that usually the 8G and 32G
> > > barriers are "hard" in that they lock up on BIOS detect, so you can't
> > > get far enough to load a DDO as you could in the 508M days.

> > > Yep. The original poster's prolly got a dying HD, and should forget
> > > about Windows this, Scandisk that, and defrag the next thing until all
> > > data has been safely evacuated from the drive.
> > >
> > > I just wish more advisors had an awareness of this situation, because
> > > I'm getting "posting fatigue" from these sort of threads...
> > >
> > > "My PC locks up when doing Scandisk even after it says it's repaired
> > > bad clusters, and now I can't boot Windows"
> > >
> > > ' Try defrag, booting Windows into Safe Mode, try a System Restore,
> > > else just re-install Windows, you won't lose your settings! '
> > >
> > > Every single bit of that advice is wrong, and dangerously so.

> > > Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
> > > better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Looking back I guess you did, sorry.

How do I 'evacuate'? Drag and drop everything in 'C' to 'D'? Then what,
new hardrive?
Thanks,
David

David42 wrote:
> Looking back I guess you did, sorry.
>
> How do I 'evacuate'? Drag and drop everything in 'C' to 'D'?

yep... wait; not "everything"; just the stuff you can't replace.

Some programs like Outlook Express have specific Menu Items for
"Exporting Folders" that should be used.

Personally at some point I'd start looking at C: (from an EBD boot)
searching for directories with alot of files in them that look similar.
Then (once found) start deleting (could take awhile); that and running
the occasional Scandisk to see if more errors are found.

It certainly does look like you're HD is on it's last gasp, but (mostly
since everybody else is already saying that) I'd still look for malware
detritus.

> Then what,
> new hardrive?

If your HD is going, then yes: Install the new one jumpered as "Master"
on the cable; change the old one to "slave"; partition the new one with
the HD company's program; xfer the old data over; install the OS;
install everything else; integrate the data.

Rick