How do I install XP on 2 computers at same time?

I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
router along with other XP computers.
I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this
will be a learning process for me.
All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

> I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
> linksys router along with other XP computers.
> I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
> to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
> this will be a learning process for me.
> All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
> can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.

As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1

That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Galen wrote:
> In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
>>linksys router along with other XP computers.
>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
>>to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
>>this will be a learning process for me.
>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
>>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
>

> As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???
>
> http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1
>
> That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
> time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
> two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
> way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
> even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.
>
> Galen
Sorry,My reader has 2 groups that look alike. I will post in XP. Thanks
for info.

Galen wrote:
> In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
>>linksys router along with other XP computers.
>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
>>to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
>>this will be a learning process for me.
>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
>>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
>

> As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???
>
> http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1
>
> That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
> time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
> two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
> way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
> even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.
>
> Galen
You are right.Just setting up the 2 computers to work with a setup file
would probably take as much time doing both seperately.Just reading how
will take time.I am doing research right now. I got the licences so that
is not the problem.But there is only one cd.

First: Buy two copies of XP
Second: Place an XP CD in each of the PCs to be upgraded and reboot the
PCs and follow the prompts choosing whether to clean install or upgrade as
required..

Upgrading two PCs at the same time takes the same time as to do one. The
same would be true if you had three or more to upgrade. Remember that
each PC will require its own unique licence.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M wrote:
> First: Buy two copies of XP
> Second: Place an XP CD in each of the PCs to be upgraded and reboot the
> PCs and follow the prompts choosing whether to clean install or upgrade
> as required..
>
> Upgrading two PCs at the same time takes the same time as to do one.
> The same would be true if you had three or more to upgrade. Remember
> that each PC will require its own unique licence.
Thanks for info. I have 1 cd with licences.

Shane

Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
newsgroups.

You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
group and not even a Win 98 group?

Shane

Shane wrote:
> Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
> What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
> of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
> newsgroups.
>
> You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
> group and not even a Win 98 group?
>

> Shane
>

> "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
>
>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
>>router along with other XP computers.
>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
>>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
>>be a learning process for me.
>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I can
>>do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.

Soory I thought I was on winXP. My newsreader states the same for both
groups ME and XP. I will post there.

Shane wrote:
> Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
> What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
> of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
> newsgroups.
>
> You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
> group and not even a Win 98 group?
>

> Shane
>

> "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
>
>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
>>router along with other XP computers.
>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
>>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
>>be a learning process for me.
>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I can
>>do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.

Sorry I thought I was on win XP. I have licenes. I remember in NT that
one could use one cd resource and have the computers that want to access
it to point to it. Or copying the I386 folder on 1 computer and do the
same.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u7Oy9DqeFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

> You are right.Just setting up the 2 computers to work with a setup
> file would probably take as much time doing both seperately.Just
> reading how will take time.I am doing research right now. I got the
> licences so that is not the problem.But there is only one cd.

The ability to make a copy of your CD is well within the bounds of the EULA.
You're free to make an archived copy of the CD and having a second license
(make sure it's not OEM) will entitle you to a second CD I do believe.
You're correct in that it would be educational and it would even likely be
fun. If it's something you're into and this is just for entertainment I'd
say go do it. After all, it's not like it can hurt. But from a user's view
it'd be a lot more work than it's worth. Of course you could always do
unattended setups later I suppose after the answer file has already been
made.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

> Shane wrote:
>> Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
>> What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm
>> aware of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on
>> Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups.
>>
>> You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win
>> ME group and not even a Win 98 group?
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
>>>router along with other XP computers.
>>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
>>>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
>>>be a learning process for me.
>>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
>>>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
>>

> Sorry I thought I was on win XP. I have licenes. I remember in NT that
> one could use one cd resource and have the computers that want to access
> it to point to it. Or copying the I386 folder on 1 computer and do the
> same.

Right. Well, I imagine this is what you're looking for. But as Mike says, I
doubt it'll be significantly faster when you're only talking about deploying
XP to 2 machines:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880

Shane

TRENDING THREADS