How do I install XP on 2 computers at same time?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
router along with other XP computers.
I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this
will be a learning process for me.
All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
10 answers Last reply
More about install computers time
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

    My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    > I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
    > linksys router along with other XP computers.
    > I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
    > to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
    > this will be a learning process for me.
    > All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
    > can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.

    As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???

    http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1

    That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
    time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
    two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
    way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
    even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.

    Galen
    --

    "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

    Sherlock Holmes
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:
    >
    > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    >
    >
    >>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
    >>linksys router along with other XP computers.
    >>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
    >>to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
    >>this will be a learning process for me.
    >>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
    >>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
    >
    >
    > As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???
    >
    > http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1
    >
    > That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
    > time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
    > two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
    > way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
    > even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.
    >
    > Galen
    Sorry,My reader has 2 groups that look alike. I will post in XP. Thanks
    for info.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Galen wrote:
    > In news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:
    >
    > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    >
    >
    >>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
    >>linksys router along with other XP computers.
    >>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
    >>to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
    >>this will be a learning process for me.
    >>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
    >>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
    >
    >
    > As has been pointed out already this is not 98 nor XP but what the heck???
    >
    > http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=31080&seqNum=9&rl=1
    >
    > That will tell you, basically, with two PCs you're going to waste a bit of
    > time but you can do it using Setup Manager and making an answer file. With
    > two PCs you might just want to install them both at the same time the normal
    > way not counting that you probably can't afford a VLK very easily and not
    > even I could justify buying VLKs for 2 PCs.
    >
    > Galen
    You are right.Just setting up the 2 computers to work with a setup file
    would probably take as much time doing both seperately.Just reading how
    will take time.I am doing research right now. I got the licences so that
    is not the problem.But there is only one cd.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    First: Buy two copies of XP
    Second: Place an XP CD in each of the PCs to be upgraded and reboot the
    PCs and follow the prompts choosing whether to clean install or upgrade as
    required..

    Upgrading two PCs at the same time takes the same time as to do one. The
    same would be true if you had three or more to upgrade. Remember that
    each PC will require its own unique licence.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote:

    > I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a
    > linksys router along with other XP computers.
    > I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours
    > to install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also
    > this will be a learning process for me.
    > All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
    > can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:
    > First: Buy two copies of XP
    > Second: Place an XP CD in each of the PCs to be upgraded and reboot the
    > PCs and follow the prompts choosing whether to clean install or upgrade
    > as required..
    >
    > Upgrading two PCs at the same time takes the same time as to do one.
    > The same would be true if you had three or more to upgrade. Remember
    > that each PC will require its own unique licence.
    Thanks for info. I have 1 cd with licences.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
    What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
    of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
    newsgroups.

    You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
    group and not even a Win 98 group?


    Shane


    "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
    >router along with other XP computers.
    > I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
    > install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
    > be a learning process for me.
    > All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I can
    > do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:
    > Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
    > What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
    > of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
    > group and not even a Win 98 group?
    >
    >
    > Shane
    >
    >
    > "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    > news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
    >>router along with other XP computers.
    >>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
    >>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
    >>be a learning process for me.
    >>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I can
    >>do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
    >
    >
    >
    Soory I thought I was on winXP. My newsreader states the same for both
    groups ME and XP. I will post there.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:
    > Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
    > What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm aware
    > of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on Microsoft-sponsored
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win ME
    > group and not even a Win 98 group?
    >
    >
    > Shane
    >
    >
    > "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    > news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >
    >>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
    >>router along with other XP computers.
    >>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
    >>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
    >>be a learning process for me.
    >>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I can
    >>do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
    >
    >
    >
    Sorry I thought I was on win XP. I have licenes. I remember in NT that
    one could use one cd resource and have the computers that want to access
    it to point to it. Or copying the I386 folder on 1 computer and do the
    same.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In news:u7Oy9DqeFHA.1036@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> had this to say:

    My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

    > You are right.Just setting up the 2 computers to work with a setup
    > file would probably take as much time doing both seperately.Just
    > reading how will take time.I am doing research right now. I got the
    > licences so that is not the problem.But there is only one cd.

    The ability to make a copy of your CD is well within the bounds of the EULA.
    You're free to make an archived copy of the CD and having a second license
    (make sure it's not OEM) will entitle you to a second CD I do believe.
    You're correct in that it would be educational and it would even likely be
    fun. If it's something you're into and this is just for entertainment I'd
    say go do it. After all, it's not like it can hurt. But from a user's view
    it'd be a lot more work than it's worth. Of course you could always do
    unattended setups later I suppose after the answer file has already been
    made.

    Galen
    --

    "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

    Sherlock Holmes
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    news:uXbxX7peFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Shane wrote:
    >> Basically you have to buy two copies of XP. Heard of Product Activation?
    >> What other options there may be - though cracking is the only one I'm
    >> aware of - you're not likely to get too much assistance on
    >> Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups.
    >>
    >> You may get more help on XP General. Any reason why you posted to a Win
    >> ME group and not even a Win 98 group?
    >>
    >>
    >> Shane
    >>
    >>
    >> "Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
    >> news:OVRGQ$neFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >>>I have 2 computers win98 SE. These are networked together thru a linksys
    >>>router along with other XP computers.
    >>>I want to install XP on the 2 win 98SE.I know it takes about 1-2 hours to
    >>>install on one. So I want to cut down on installation time.Also this will
    >>>be a learning process for me.
    >>>All pertinent data has been saved.I just want to do a basic install. I
    >>>can do updates later unless this dual install will also do updates.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    > Sorry I thought I was on win XP. I have licenes. I remember in NT that
    > one could use one cd resource and have the computers that want to access
    > it to point to it. Or copying the I386 folder on 1 computer and do the
    > same.

    Right. Well, I imagine this is what you're looking for. But as Mike says, I
    doubt it'll be significantly faster when you're only talking about deploying
    XP to 2 machines:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321880

    Shane
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows XP Windows