System clock jumps back

Hi All...........

I don't know if this is a Me problem or not, but here goes...........Every
few weeks, I notice that all of a sudden my system clock has jumped back
approximately one hour.........never do I notice it off by 5 minutes, or 15
or 30 etc etc........whenever I notice it it's always off by one
hour.........I'm particularly sensitive to the time because I make frequent
posts to other newsgroups, and it's obvious whenever I post if the time is
off or not.................Is this a known Me thing, or maybe a virus that
someone has heard of.........any fix?

TIA
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

The fact that it's exactly an hour is suggestive of time zones or
summertime/wintertime switches - do you often go into the region settings
in Control Panel?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi All...........
>
> I don't know if this is a Me problem or not, but here goes...........Every
> few weeks, I notice that all of a sudden my system clock has jumped back
> approximately one hour.........never do I notice it off by 5 minutes, or
> 15
> or 30 etc etc........whenever I notice it it's always off by one
> hour.........I'm particularly sensitive to the time because I make
> frequent
> posts to other newsgroups, and it's obvious whenever I post if the time is
> off or not.................Is this a known Me thing, or maybe a virus that
> someone has heard of.........any fix?
>
> TIA
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3

Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
shows up.........
Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

CLR wrote:
> Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
> shows up.........
> Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
> sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
> software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
> about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?

Possibly; check your Startup (Start/Run/msconfig) for anything that
looks like it might be clock-related.

Rick

> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>The fact that it's exactly an hour is suggestive of time zones or
>>summertime/wintertime switches - do you often go into the region settings
>>in Control Panel?
>>
>>--
>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>>"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi All...........
>>>
>>>I don't know if this is a Me problem or not, but here
>
> goes...........Every
>
>>>few weeks, I notice that all of a sudden my system clock has jumped back
>>>approximately one hour.........never do I notice it off by 5 minutes, or
>>>15
>>>or 30 etc etc........whenever I notice it it's always off by one
>>>hour.........I'm particularly sensitive to the time because I make
>>>frequent
>>>posts to other newsgroups, and it's obvious whenever I post if the time
>
> is
>
>>>off or not.................Is this a known Me thing, or maybe a virus
>
> that
>
>>>someone has heard of.........any fix?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Vaya con Dios,
>>>Chuck, CABGx3

"don't do much about upgrading" - oh dear!!
How many holes have you left in your system for nasties to crawl in???

1) go to www.belarc.com and download and run Belarc Advisor - copy/paste the
list of installed hotfixes to your response..

2) Go to Windows updates, and get ALL the 'Critical Updates' for your
machine - then run Belarc again, and see what it reports.

--

> Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
> shows up.........
> Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
> sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
> software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
> about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> The fact that it's exactly an hour is suggestive of time zones or
>> summertime/wintertime switches - do you often go into the region
>> settings
>> in Control Panel?
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All...........
>> >
>> > I don't know if this is a Me problem or not, but here
> goes...........Every
>> > few weeks, I notice that all of a sudden my system clock has jumped
>> > back
>> > approximately one hour.........never do I notice it off by 5 minutes,
>> > or
>> > 15
>> > or 30 etc etc........whenever I notice it it's always off by one
>> > hour.........I'm particularly sensitive to the time because I make
>> > frequent
>> > posts to other newsgroups, and it's obvious whenever I post if the time
> is
>> > off or not.................Is this a known Me thing, or maybe a virus
> that
>> > someone has heard of.........any fix?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Vaya con Dios,
>> > Chuck, CABGx3

Thanks Rick............I just did and nothing appeared to say "I am your
clock problem" <G>........mostly just stuff I've seen before and/or
codewords that don't make sense...........The trouble happens so rarely that
I can't really take things out and check to see it's more-better............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

> CLR wrote:
> > Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
> > shows up.........
> > Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
> > sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
> > software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
> > about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?
>
> Possibly; check your Startup (Start/Run/msconfig) for anything that
> looks like it might be clock-related.
>

> Rick
>

> > Vaya con Dios,
> > Chuck, CABGx3
> >

> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>The fact that it's exactly an hour is suggestive of time zones or
> >>summertime/wintertime switches - do you often go into the region
settings
> >>in Control Panel?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >>
> >>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> >>"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> > goes...........Every

> > is

> > that

I was afraid someone would say something like that<g>...........it's like my
Mother used to say, "Here Dear, take this Castor Oil and you will feel
better"..........yeah, right........maybe, after I get over wishing I was
dead!.........when I first got Me I used to get all the upgrades, but
finally completely stopped using it, and laid my reasons off to "those
upgrades", and the Sept8 problem, and Castor Oil.............I went back to
98SE, and now that I have so much USB stuff, I decided to give Me another
try and vowed only the minimun upgrades..........anyway, here's all I have
for 1).........I'm still thinking about 2)
WinME
UPD273017
UPD290700
UPD311311

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

CLR wrote:
> Thanks Rick............I just did and nothing appeared to say "I am your
> clock problem" <G>........mostly just stuff I've seen before and/or
> codewords that don't make sense...........

eh? all the stuff in Startup make sense (well mostly). If it was a CMOS
battery problem then your machine would either lose time a bit at a time
or lose more time when the machine had been off for awhile.

Windows programs aren't supposed to play with the clock at all;
occasionally poorly written ones will grab more priority than their
supposed to and the clock goes wonky (hmm that doesn't sound right
<shrug>) with the upshot that Windows loses time.

But... you're losing an hour at a shot; assuming you've already checked
the Clock settings (per Noel, make sure you're in the right time-zone
and that, if applicable, Daylight Savings Time is checked or not), the
only thing I can think of is a practical-joke virus.

www.grisoft.com - AV
www.lavasoftusa.com - antiadware
www.safernetworking.org - antispyware

Applying even the freeware versions of *all* of the above should clean
your disk up of most, if not all, malware.

Rick

> The trouble happens so rarely that
> I can't really take things out and check to see it's more-better............
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>CLR wrote:
>>
>>>Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
>>>shows up.........
>>>Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
>>>sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
>>>software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
>>>about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?
>>
>>Possibly; check your Startup (Start/Run/msconfig) for anything that
>>looks like it might be clock-related.
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>Vaya con Dios,
>>>Chuck, CABGx3
>>>

>>>"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> settings

> NG's

>>>goes...........Every

> back

> or

>>>is

>>>that

I suppose I shouldn't say this too loudly, but last time I installed
WinME I didn't bother upgrading anything (except DX)and didn't have any
problems (mind you I *still* used a firewall and anti-malware programs)

Rick

CLR wrote:
> I was afraid someone would say something like that<g>...........it's like my
> Mother used to say, "Here Dear, take this Castor Oil and you will feel
> better"..........yeah, right........maybe, after I get over wishing I was
> dead!.........when I first got Me I used to get all the upgrades, but
> finally completely stopped using it, and laid my reasons off to "those
> upgrades", and the Sept8 problem, and Castor Oil.............I went back to
> 98SE, and now that I have so much USB stuff, I decided to give Me another
> try and vowed only the minimun upgrades..........anyway, here's all I have
> for 1).........I'm still thinking about 2)
> WinME
> UPD273017
> UPD290700
> UPD311311
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>"don't do much about upgrading" - oh dear!!
>>How many holes have you left in your system for nasties to crawl in???
>>
>>1) go to www.belarc.com and download and run Belarc Advisor - copy/paste
>
> the
>
>>list of installed hotfixes to your response..
>>
>>2) Go to Windows updates, and get ALL the 'Critical Updates' for your
>>machine - then run Belarc again, and see what it reports.
>>

>>--
>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>>"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Nope, never do.........and never mess with the clock unless this problem
>>>shows up.........
>>>Most of the time I have both OE5 (for my newsgroups), and Excel open,
>>>sometimes PaintShopPro.......but thats usually about all I run,
>>>software-wise. Occasionally MsWord......if that helps. I don't do much
>>>about "upgrading".....might I have missed something there?
>>>
>>>Vaya con Dios,
>>>Chuck, CABGx3
>>>

>>>"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> NG's

>>>goes...........Every

> time
>
>>>is

>>>that

Well, at least you have the System Restore patch installed!<g>

I don't see why you should need the 311311 patch, since I would hope that
you are not running ME as a client to a Windows XP RTM ICS server!! (the
vulnerability this patch fixes was fixed in XPSP1)

There are a number of patches which you are missing ( a large number!) - to
be honest, I'm surprised that this is the only issue you have with your
machine!!

Sorry - but unless you make some attempt to update your system, I'm not
prepared to assist further.
Go to Windows Update and download the Critical updates (no more than 2 or 3
in a session) and install them - then come back with an updated Belarc
listing.

--

>I suppose I shouldn't say this too loudly, but last time I installed WinME
>I didn't bother upgrading anything (except DX)and didn't have any problems
>(mind you I *still* used a firewall and anti-malware programs)
>

> Rick
>

> CLR wrote:
>> I was afraid someone would say something like that<g>...........it's like
>> my
>> Mother used to say, "Here Dear, take this Castor Oil and you will feel
>> better"..........yeah, right........maybe, after I get over wishing I was
>> dead!.........when I first got Me I used to get all the upgrades, but
>> finally completely stopped using it, and laid my reasons off to "those
>> upgrades", and the Sept8 problem, and Castor Oil.............I went back
>> 98SE, and now that I have so much USB stuff, I decided to give Me another
>> try and vowed only the minimun upgrades..........anyway, here's all I
>> have
>> for 1).........I'm still thinking about 2)
>> WinME
>> UPD273017
>> UPD290700
>> UPD311311
>>
>> Vaya con Dios,
>> Chuck, CABGx3
>>

>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"don't do much about upgrading" - oh dear!!
>>>How many holes have you left in your system for nasties to crawl in???
>>>
>>>1) go to www.belarc.com and download and run Belarc Advisor - copy/paste
>>
>> the
>>
>>>list of installed hotfixes to your response..
>>>
>>>2) Go to Windows updates, and get ALL the 'Critical Updates' for your
>>>machine - then run Belarc again, and see what it reports.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>>
>>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>>
>>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>>
>>>"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

>> NG's

>> time

Yeah, I did get the "Restore patch", it's the only reason I allowed myself
to go back to Me after the Sept8 fiasco, I mean like, it's what I originally
paid my money for......... I don't recall voluntarily taking the 311311
thing, but stuff does happen, and I probably did the USB one on purpose as
well.............as for the rest, weeellllll, I think I'll just take a pass
for now.........

Thanks for trying anyway Noel.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3