Windows 7 FAIL - DVD missing files

slimbone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm trying to install onto a fresh build and during the "Expanding Windows files" stage of the install I was getting an error message saying the disk was missing files to complete installation......

now it's just going straight to BSOD!!!!! WTF

Yes...if you got the DVD from MS, it could may be a damaged disc to the point where the ISO is unreadable. But I highly doubt that, as I've never heard of this happening with any MS product (not a fanboy, just saying). If it is a non-legit copy, well, what do you expect?

I've seen this happen before. Not all DVD's are created equal after all. If it's a official disk, the OP probably just got unlucky. If it's an illegit copy... well as you said... what did you expect?

Had to ask...

What you could do is try to make an iso of the dvd and use that to create a bootable flash drive to install 7 from. Takes a bit of work, but it's better than getting screwed since you can't take that copy of Windows 7 back to Micro Center without bitching and complaining about getting defective media.

slimbone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah. I have a bootable flash drive with windows 7 on it. I might try doing it that way tonight. But I would feel better knowing that I have a working physical DVD on hand.

slimbone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ok, so I exchanged the Windows 7 DVD for a new DVD at Micro Center. FYI, that was completely painless.

I get home, start the install again. DOH! BSOD.

First, an error message comes up saying: "Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. ERROR CODE: 0x80070003"

Then BSOD shows up.

BAD_POOL_HEADER

0x00000019 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFF8A000EF820, 0xFFFFF8A000EF0820, 0xFFEFF8A000EF0820)

AGHHHHH.

slimbone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I figured it out.

After some quick google searching, it turns out that error was pretty common in Vista and also showed up in XP.

Solution. I unplugged my mouse and my backup hard drive during the install. It installed without a problem.

slimbone

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I think in my case, it had more to do with my back up hard drive being plugged in rather than my mouse. My back up HDD has old files on it, both system and data. I think those files were conflicting with what Windows 7 was trying to do.

Everything I read during my search related to people having to unplug their mice or use a different, usually newer, DVD drive.

Pretty strange.

G

ok this may sound weird but i had the same issue on my pc and i searched online for a solution and found out that i had too much ram in my computer to do the install... I had 8gb of ram and so i took out 6 gigs and left just the one 2gb chip installed and the installation completed perfectly ..
After the install i put my ram back in and all works fine

hope this info helps

NOTE: also i was doing i clean install of windows 7 ultimate and not the upgrade option..

gjiro

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I removed 2gb and it worked fine afterwards. Once windows installed, i added back the 2gb and things look fine. Thanks for the post.

Windows 7 Home Premium
i7 720q
6gb ram