Photosmart 7960 - Auto Paper Type Detection

How does it work?

How can the printer tell which type of paper I'm using (plain, inkjet,
glossy etc.)?
--
Aloke
----

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

    > How does it work?
    >
    > How can the printer tell which type of paper I'm using (plain, inkjet, glossy
    > etc.)?

    You will notice at the beginning of the print jab a LED will illuminate the
    paper a bit. There are some sensors that look at the reflections from the
    paper. The processor in the printer does some calculations to match the
    signature to known paper types.

    Regards,

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >> How does it work?
    >>
    >> How can the printer tell which type of paper I'm using (plain, inkjet,
    >> glossy etc.)?
    >
    > You will notice at the beginning of the print jab a LED will illuminate
    > the paper a bit. There are some sensors that look at the reflections from
    > the paper. The processor in the printer does some calculations to match
    > the signature to known paper types.

    Cool!

    Does the printer choose the settings corresponding to one of the (nearest)
    pre-defined paper types? or does it tune the setting even more finely,
    depending on the LED readings?

    Do you recommend using the Auto or manually setting the paper type?
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    Bob if using Non-HP Photopaper will it make a better decision than a manual
    choice...
    I use the 7660 btw.

    John

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >> How does it work?
    >>
    >> How can the printer tell which type of paper I'm using (plain, inkjet,
    >> glossy etc.)?
    >
    > You will notice at the beginning of the print jab a LED will illuminate
    > the paper a bit. There are some sensors that look at the reflections from
    > the paper. The processor in the printer does some calculations to match
    > the signature to known paper types.
    >
    > Regards,

    I use Manual I use a lot of diff Photpapers so tune myself
    Wonder if Auto is BETTER no it would go for a prefixed defined Paper type
    its not inf. variable I dont think

    > "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> How does it work?
    >>>
    >>> How can the printer tell which type of paper I'm using (plain, inkjet,
    >>> glossy etc.)?
    >>
    >> You will notice at the beginning of the print jab a LED will illuminate
    >> the paper a bit. There are some sensors that look at the reflections
    >> from the paper. The processor in the printer does some calculations to
    >> match the signature to known paper types.
    >
    > Cool!
    >
    > Does the printer choose the settings corresponding to one of the (nearest)
    > pre-defined paper types? or does it tune the setting even more finely,
    > depending on the LED readings?
    >
    > Do you recommend using the Auto or manually setting the paper type?
    > --
    > Aloke
    > ----
    > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

    Bob can tell us for sure.

    In addition to reflectivity, the ink absorption characteristics are also
    important. I wonder how the reflected light from the LED measures the "ink
    drop spread" of the paper ...
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    "John Smith" <boyzo@msn.com> wrote in message
    >I use Manual I use a lot of diff Photpapers so tune myself
    > Wonder if Auto is BETTER no it would go for a prefixed defined Paper type
    > its not inf. variable I dont think

    >>> You will notice at the beginning of the print jab a LED will illuminate
    >>> the paper a bit. There are some sensors that look at the reflections
    >>> from the paper. The processor in the printer does some calculations to
    >>> match the signature to known paper types.
    >>
    >> Cool!
    >>
    >> Does the printer choose the settings corresponding to one of the
    >> (nearest) pre-defined paper types? or does it tune the setting even more
    >> finely, depending on the LED readings?
    >>
    >> Do you recommend using the Auto or manually setting the paper type?
    >> --
    >> Aloke
    >> ----
    >> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

    > Cool!
    >
    > Does the printer choose the settings corresponding to one of the (nearest)
    > pre-defined paper types? or does it tune the setting even more finely,
    > depending on the LED readings?
    >
    > Do you recommend using the Auto or manually setting the paper type?

    It picks the best match for the pre-defined paper type. You may get better
    results picking a particular paper type rather than having the printer select
    it automatically. If you occasionally print photo's and are prone to forget to
    set the printer to the correct paper settings then auto would be a good choice
    for you. If you print a lot of photo's you may find the manual setting
    slightly better. Printing on photo paper with the driver selecting plain paper
    gives rather poor results; the default automatic setting in the driver avoids
    that issue.

    Regards,

    > Bob if using Non-HP Photopaper will it make a better decision than a manual
    > choice...
    > I use the 7660 btw.

    It will probably pick a generic photo paper setting, which may or may not be a
    good match to your particular paper. You may need to experiment a bit to get
    the best results. Once you find the right "match" for your paper use that
    setting in manual mode.

    Regards,

    Here's a question... I have printed many photo's on my 7660, which to me,
    produces the best photo output of all the printers I sampled, which is why I
    bought HP (again).

    ANYWAY: I use a high gloss photo paper from a local vendor, which is
    incredibly inexpensive vs. all the other competition, I'm paying about $1.00
    for 20 sheets of 8.5x11. The results are incredible (imho). However, I'm
    using the HP PREMIUM PHOTO PAPER, HIGH GLOSS setting in BEST mode. I've
    tried "OTHER PHOTO PAPERS" mode, and I personally feel I don't get as good
    results. Is there a serious difference between HP PAPER modes and the other
    paper modes?

    Thanks

    > It picks the best match for the pre-defined paper type. You may get
    better
    > results picking a particular paper type rather than having the printer
    select
    > it automatically. If you occasionally print photo's and are prone to
    forget to
    > set the printer to the correct paper settings then auto would be a good
    choice
    > for you. If you print a lot of photo's you may find the manual setting
    > slightly better. Printing on photo paper with the driver selecting plain
    paper
    > gives rather poor results; the default automatic setting in the driver
    avoids
    > that issue.
    >
    > Regards,

Printers Detection Photosmart Peripherals