2 PC wireless network using router Please!!

Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET. Is
this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as a
switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial up
connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file sharing
(both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to create same
user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
Thanks
Frank
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless network router please

    No problem using the wireless router for an in-house network only. Use DHCP
    (in general preferable unless there's a specific need for static
    addressing). You needn't create additional user accounts - simple file
    sharing uses only the guest account.
    Your plan is fine. As long as normal sharing issues are addressed (like
    firewall permissions), you should have no problem.
    --

    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET.
    > Is this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as
    > a switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial
    > up connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file
    > sharing (both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to
    > create same user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
    > Thanks
    > Frank

    Thanks GTS,
    That's good to hear because I had a few problems I am sure can be addressed.
    Number one is the built in , Dell Inspiron 6000 wireless chip did not have
    an option for No security, like the router has disabled as an option for the
    security? I am doing some research now. I also had a big probel with the CD
    for the WRT54G, could not get past the looking for internet connection, so I
    cancelled. but the router worked and I was able to access the config page.
    So I am going back tomorrow, also forgotr their is a major firmware update
    for the WRT54G, so I'll bring that with me and do the update. I have the GS
    model and mine was much more friendly with the firmware update from 1.1 to
    4.50. I appreciate the response and it's nice to hear it will work. Funny,
    they have netzero on the PC and AOL on the laptop. That shouldn't matter ,
    should it?
    Thanks again, back to finding out about this Intel Pro 2915 I think it is.
    Frank

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O0IvUXHkFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > No problem using the wireless router for an in-house network only. Use
    > DHCP (in general preferable unless there's a specific need for static
    > addressing). You needn't create additional user accounts - simple file
    > sharing uses only the guest account.
    > Your plan is fine. As long as normal sharing issues are addressed (like
    > firewall permissions), you should have no problem.
    > --
    >
    > "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET.
    >> Is this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as
    >> a switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial
    >> up connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file
    >> sharing (both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to
    >> create same user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
    >> Thanks
    >> Frank

    Hi
    Sharing Internet and sharing files are not related.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#sharing
    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET.
    Is
    > this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as a
    > switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial up
    > connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file sharing
    > (both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to create same
    > user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
    > Thanks
    > Frank

Wireless Routers Wireless Network Wireless Networking