2 PC wireless network using router Please!!

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET. Is
this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as a
switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial up
connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file sharing
(both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to create same
user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
Thanks
Frank

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

No problem using the wireless router for an in-house network only. Use DHCP
(in general preferable unless there's a specific need for static
addressing). You needn't create additional user accounts - simple file
sharing uses only the guest account.
Your plan is fine. As long as normal sharing issues are addressed (like
firewall permissions), you should have no problem.
--

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET.
> Is this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as
> a switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial
> up connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file
> sharing (both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to
> create same user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
> Thanks
> Frank

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks GTS,
That's good to hear because I had a few problems I am sure can be addressed.
Number one is the built in , Dell Inspiron 6000 wireless chip did not have
an option for No security, like the router has disabled as an option for the
security? I am doing some research now. I also had a big probel with the CD
for the WRT54G, could not get past the looking for internet connection, so I
cancelled. but the router worked and I was able to access the config page.
So I am going back tomorrow, also forgotr their is a major firmware update
for the WRT54G, so I'll bring that with me and do the update. I have the GS
model and mine was much more friendly with the firmware update from 1.1 to
4.50. I appreciate the response and it's nice to hear it will work. Funny,
they have netzero on the PC and AOL on the laptop. That shouldn't matter ,
should it?
Thanks again, back to finding out about this Intel Pro 2915 I think it is.
Frank

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:O0IvUXHkFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> No problem using the wireless router for an in-house network only. Use
> DHCP (in general preferable unless there's a specific need for static
> addressing). You needn't create additional user accounts - simple file
> sharing uses only the guest account.
> Your plan is fine. As long as normal sharing issues are addressed (like
> firewall permissions), you should have no problem.
> --
>
> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> Router hard wired to pc. laptop has wireless. Their will be NO INTERNET.
>> Is this a problem? I am hoping this is basically like using the router as
>> a switch only? Should I still use DHCP from the router.This pc has a dial
>> up connection which will not be shared. Planned on using Simple file
>> sharing (both have winxp home ed. This will work right? Also I need to
>> create same user accounts on both machines for the sharing?
>> Thanks
>> Frank

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Sharing Internet and sharing files are not related.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#sharing
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).