PSX Controller on PC

I've heard that PSX (Playstation) controller could be modified to work on
PC, connected to the parallel port. What I want to ask is whether those
modified controllers could be used as joystick/joypad substitute (i.e.
could be used on PC games which supports 'normal' PC joysticks/joypad).

TIA
5 answers Last reply
More about controller

    Ricky Romaya wrote:

    > I've heard that PSX (Playstation) controller could be modified to work on
    > PC, connected to the parallel port. What I want to ask is whether those
    > modified controllers could be used as joystick/joypad substitute (i.e.
    > could be used on PC games which supports 'normal' PC joysticks/joypad).

    Why bother?

    http://www.gravis.com/products/pro_eli_d1019.html

    --

    Registered Linux user #378193

    Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in

    > Why bother?

    Well, 'cause I'm playing PSX games on PC with an emulator, and it's hard to
    find gravis products in where I live (not to mention it's way out of my
    budget). I'm using a standard 4 button joypad now.

    Ruel Smith wrote:
    > Ricky Romaya wrote:

    > > Well, 'cause I'm playing PSX games on PC with an emulator, and it's
    hard
    > > to find gravis products in where I live (not to mention it's way
    out of my
    > > budget). I'm using a standard 4 button joypad now.

    > First off, you do mean PS/2, and not PSX, right? The PSX is a combo
    of a DVD
    > recorder, TiVo, and PS/2 and, though I'm not definite about it, I
    believe
    > there are PS/2 gamepads and PSX gamepads.

    "PSX" had long been the unofficial acronym for the original
    Playstation.
    This was established as the de facto standard by console gamers long
    before Sony decided to actually name a product "PSX" out of spite.

    Personally, I'd almost be interested in a Playstation controller to PC
    converter, because Logitech's latest PS2 wireless controller is so
    incredibly awesome. However, there aren't any actual PC games I'm
    interested in playing (emulated or otherwise), so my Logitech
    controller
    is just fine where it's plugged in now (my PS2).

    Isaac Kuo

    Ricky Romaya wrote:

    > Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Why bother?
    >>
    > Well, 'cause I'm playing PSX games on PC with an emulator, and it's hard
    > to find gravis products in where I live (not to mention it's way out of my
    > budget). I'm using a standard 4 button joypad now.

    First off, you do mean PS/2, and not PSX, right? The PSX is a combo of a DVD
    recorder, TiVo, and PS/2 and, though I'm not definite about it, I believe
    there are PS/2 gamepads and PSX gamepads. I'm not sure of the details, but
    I believe the PSX can use both, but PSX gamepads are not compatible with
    PS/2.

    With that in mind, you would need to do some work on a PS/2 controller to
    work on a PC, and I'm not sure it would. The Gravis gamepad I showed you is
    $20 list price, or you could go with a Logitech Dual Action gamepad, which
    has the two analog sticks and sells for $20. Both are available online.
    That can't possibly be out of your budget unless you're a 12 year old kid
    with no income at all.

    However, it's up to you.

    --

    IsaacKuo wrote:

    > Personally, I'd almost be interested in a Playstation controller to PC
    > converter, because Logitech's latest PS2 wireless controller is so
    > incredibly awesome. However, there aren't any actual PC games I'm
    > interested in playing (emulated or otherwise), so my Logitech
    > controller
    > is just fine where it's plugged in now (my PS2).

    http://specialreserve.co.uk/Dual_Shock_2061_r.html

    Looks like a good solution...

    --

    Registered Linux user #378193