WinMe Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
pps

Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
Thanks.

hkey_local_machine\system\current control set\control\session
manager\checkbadapps

This appears to be a list of applications which Windows checks for and
finding
these entries does not mean that these applications ever existed on the
subject
computer.
Some of the applications found in this registry key are:
Shred.exe
Wipeinfo.exe
Secure.exe

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/forensics/2003-q3/0023.html
------

On some win98 installations, there are 2 SessionManager keys so you have to
choose the one that contains the keys AppPatches, CheckBadApps and
CheckVerDLLs.
http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/archive/index.php/t-129
------

Session Manager subkey w/wo space
Through an apparent design bug (or else interesting "feature"), you are
likely to have two separate Session Manager subkeys in your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager,
the difference being the presence or absence of a space between the words
"Session" and "Manager".

The original subkey -- the one with a space -- contains system start-up
information such as environment variables and cache size. We plan to cover
this in more detail in a future tip.

The one without a space contains one or more "CheckBadApps" subkeys, and
these are used for the detection of non-compliant applications. It is a
matter of opinion whether this should be classified as system start-up
information as well.

No fix is recommended.
http://www.pittresearch.com/networks/NTtips.html#tip017
------

**** You should not edit or remove any part of this key. jem.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
> pps
>
> Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
> Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
> Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
> un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
> Thanks.

Alan
Jack
Thanks for advice.

"AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
pps

Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
Thanks.

Don't remove them.
They are not meant to be on your hard drive, which is why they are
there in the Registry. You should not have any of them.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
wrote:

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
>pps
>
>Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
>Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
>Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
>un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
>Thanks.

Alan, I had never noticed these registry items before. Are you familar
with them?
My search of the KB yielded nothing for "CheckBadApps".

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Don't remove them.
> They are not meant to be on your hard drive, which is why they are
> there in the Registry. You should not have any of them.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
> wrote:
>

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBad
> >pps
> >
> >Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of
files.
> >Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
> >Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
> >un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
> >Thanks.

Hi Jack,

I am vaguely familiar with them. They have been there since Win95.

CheckBadApps has a list of applications that are known to have
problems running in Windows.
CheckBadApps400 has a list of applications that are known to have
problems running under IE4

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems