WinMe Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
pps

Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about winme registry

    hkey_local_machine\system\current control set\control\session
    manager\checkbadapps

    This appears to be a list of applications which Windows checks for and
    finding
    these entries does not mean that these applications ever existed on the
    subject
    computer.
    Some of the applications found in this registry key are:
    Shred.exe
    Wipeinfo.exe
    Secure.exe

    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/forensics/2003-q3/0023.html
    ------

    On some win98 installations, there are 2 SessionManager keys so you have to
    choose the one that contains the keys AppPatches, CheckBadApps and
    CheckVerDLLs.
    http://forums.infoprosjoint.net/archive/index.php/t-129
    ------

    Session Manager subkey w/wo space
    Through an apparent design bug (or else interesting "feature"), you are
    likely to have two separate Session Manager subkeys in your registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager, and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager,
    the difference being the presence or absence of a space between the words
    "Session" and "Manager".

    The original subkey -- the one with a space -- contains system start-up
    information such as environment variables and cache size. We plan to cover
    this in more detail in a future tip.

    The one without a space contains one or more "CheckBadApps" subkeys, and
    these are used for the detection of non-compliant applications. It is a
    matter of opinion whether this should be classified as system start-up
    information as well.

    No fix is recommended.
    http://www.pittresearch.com/networks/NTtips.html#tip017
    ------

    **** You should not edit or remove any part of this key. jem.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
    > pps
    >
    > Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
    > Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
    > Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
    > un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
    > Thanks.

    Alan
    Jack
    Thanks for advice.

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
    pps

    Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
    Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
    Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
    un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
    Thanks.

    Don't remove them.
    They are not meant to be on your hard drive, which is why they are
    there in the Registry. You should not have any of them.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
    wrote:

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadA
    >pps
    >
    >Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of files.
    >Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
    >Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
    >un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
    >Thanks.

    Alan, I had never noticed these registry items before. Are you familar
    with them?
    My search of the KB yielded nothing for "CheckBadApps".

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Don't remove them.
    > They are not meant to be on your hard drive, which is why they are
    > there in the Registry. You should not have any of them.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBad
    > >pps
    > >
    > >Under CheckBadApps there are quite a lot DOS and windows mixture of
    files.
    > >Quite a few do not appear to be on hd.
    > >Are these files are leftover by the various applications which has been
    > >un-installed and if so, is it safe to remove these ones.
    > >Thanks.

    Hi Jack,

    I am vaguely familiar with them. They have been there since Win95.

    CheckBadApps has a list of applications that are known to have
    problems running in Windows.
    CheckBadApps400 has a list of applications that are known to have
    problems running under IE4

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jack E Martinelli"
    <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

    >Alan, I had never noticed these registry items before. Are you familar
    >with them?
    >My search of the KB yielded nothing for "CheckBadApps".
    >
    >--
    >Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >------
    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Don't remove them.
    >> They are not meant to be on your hard drive, which is why they are
    >> there in the Registry. You should not have any of them.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBad
    >> >pps

Registry Microsoft Windows