Quick Launch position

I can't find this in the Knowledge Base.

Quick Launch wants to stay on the right side of the taskbar against the
notification area. I can't figure out how to drag it to the usual left side
of the tray. I don't have restore points, possibly because I usually start
with no startup items since I mainly capture video and I don't want extra
programs interrupting captures.
7 answers Last reply
More about quick launch position

    Begin by placing your cursor at the top bar of the Taskbar, until it turns
    into a double-headed arrow. Then drag the top upward to create two
    Taskbars. The Quick Launch bars should be on top now.
    You may leave it this way, or drag the bar downward where hopefully the
    Quick lanuch area will remain on the left, as usually seen.

    Re: your "I don't have restore points, possibly because I usually start
    > with no startup items since I mainly capture video and I don't want extra
    > programs interrupting captures.

    You appear to be confused. System Restore checkpoints have no necessary
    relation with the Startup group configuration.
    If you have not disabled SR, it will not interfere with your video capture
    or editing, as it only runs for a few seconds to a few minutes and only when
    the system is idle.
    "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768

    Since System Restore and System File Protect are two of the best features of
    WinME, I urge you to utilize both and not to disable SR.

    You may also find this information useful:
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm - has trojan related items
    listed

    The free process viewer, Process Explorer, www.sysinternals.com, will tell
    you exactly what is executing on your machine.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    John Marion wrote:
    > I can't find this in the Knowledge Base.
    >
    > Quick Launch wants to stay on the right side of the taskbar against the
    > notification area. I can't figure out how to drag it to the usual left side
    > of the tray. I don't have restore points, possibly because I usually start
    > with no startup items since I mainly capture video and I don't want extra
    > programs interrupting captures.

    Drag it *over* instead of *through* the Taskbar; if that doesn't work,
    open up Taskbar Properties and uncheck "disallow Taskbar changes" (or
    whatever it is)

    Rick

    Try using the handle on the left of the taskbar,
    rather than the handle on the left of the QLB
    It is often easier to drag that one to the right across the QLB.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "John Marion"
    <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote:

    >I can't find this in the Knowledge Base.
    >
    >Quick Launch wants to stay on the right side of the taskbar against the
    >notification area. I can't figure out how to drag it to the usual left side
    >of the tray. I don't have restore points, possibly because I usually start
    >with no startup items since I mainly capture video and I don't want extra
    >programs interrupting captures.

    Thank you, Alan. This did the trick.

    Thank you, Jack, but System Restore is not disabled. Maybe it never finds
    the system idle. I suppose I could (or should) start each day with a manual
    checkpoint.

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > Try using the handle on the left of the taskbar,
    > rather than the handle on the left of the QLB
    > It is often easier to drag that one to the right across the QLB.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "John Marion"
    > <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote:
    >
    > >I can't find this in the Knowledge Base.
    > >
    > >Quick Launch wants to stay on the right side of the taskbar against the
    > >notification area. I can't figure out how to drag it to the usual left
    side
    > >of the tray. I don't have restore points, possibly because I usually
    start
    > >with no startup items since I mainly capture video and I don't want extra
    > >programs interrupting captures.

    John,

    System Restore:
    May I suggest you perform the following quick test and post back if you
    have any problems or see any errors.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    Could you create a checkpoint?
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    e) Reboot your PC
    Was the checkpoint retained?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    John Marion <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote:

    > Thank you, Alan. This did the trick.
    >
    > Thank you, Jack, but System Restore is not disabled. Maybe it never
    > finds the system idle. I suppose I could (or should) start each day
    > with a manual checkpoint.

    Mike, I did the quick test and the shortcut got restored so System Restore
    is fine I guess. What amazes me is when I went to restore the test point I
    found a system checkpoint created an hour earlier. I'm not sure if that was
    when I started System Restore to verify no points or maybe that was when I
    went to make coffee AND THE SYSTEM WAS IDLE. And this is with a
    "no-startups-items" boot-up. So I get points and they get lost for some
    reason. I've seen it happen when I install a program and create a point
    first just in case then I uninstall the program and then find there are no
    restore points at all. That's aggravating. A couple of years ago the usual
    problem was the restore points wouldn't work; now they disappear.

    > John,
    >
    > System Restore:
    > May I suggest you perform the following quick test and post back if you
    > have any problems or see any errors.
    > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > Could you create a checkpoint?
    > c) Delete the shortcut
    > d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > e) Reboot your PC
    > Was the checkpoint retained?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > John Marion <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you, Alan. This did the trick.
    > >
    > > Thank you, Jack, but System Restore is not disabled. Maybe it never
    > > finds the system idle. I suppose I could (or should) start each day
    > > with a manual checkpoint.

    John,

    "No startup items".

    Unless the *StateMgr entry is present and checked in MSConfig | Startup
    you will get no system restore checkpoints created since the state manager
    will not be running, not archiving the files necessary to undo changes
    made to the system nor will Win Me's system file protection be in
    operation. It's entirely up to you if you choose to uncheck the *StateMgr
    entry placed in MSConfig | Startup by Microsoft when Win Me was installed
    but if you choose to uncheck it you should be aware of the consequences of
    doing this.

    By opening System Restore you will have started the state manager but for
    it to be effective it has to be running continually as a service in the
    background whilst the operating system is in use. Typically it uses 1 or
    at most 2 minutes cpu time in a 24 hour period.

    Regards,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    John Marion <john-no-spam@no-spam.co> wrote:

    > Mike, I did the quick test and the shortcut got restored so System
    > Restore is fine I guess. What amazes me is when I went to restore
    > the test point I found a system checkpoint created an hour earlier.
    > I'm not sure if that was when I started System Restore to verify no
    > points or maybe that was when I went to make coffee AND THE SYSTEM
    > WAS IDLE. And this is with a "no-startups-items" boot-up. So I get
    > points and they get lost for some reason. I've seen it happen when I
    > install a program and create a point first just in case then I
    > uninstall the program and then find there are no restore points at
    > all. That's aggravating. A couple of years ago the usual problem
    > was the restore points wouldn't work; now they disappear.

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows