Active Desktop & Explorer Crash Out

I have 4 win me machines in our enterprise.

All of them seem to have timebombed, no so long ago, in that;

a) Active desktop causes the machine to lock-up;
b) Windows explorer, My computer etc. fail to run & then crash out;
c) Anything explorer based seems to struggle to load.
d) The clock freezes on load.

The usual spybot checks (spybot S&D) & AV checks (Symantec) throw up
nothing.

My best solution would be to replace the OS....but I have no budget to
undertake this at the moment.

Any help is much appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about active desktop explorer crash

    Sounds as if you may still be suffering from some sort of malware. The
    following steps should help ferret out the culprit:
    (credit to Malke, MS-MVP)
    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix .

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://auhma.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Then move on to general maintenance:

    1) Delete temporary and Temporary Internet Files.
    2) Stop unnecessary services/programs from starting with Windows - see
    www.blackviper.com for services info and
    www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm for programs info.
    3) Look in Event Viewer for clues.
    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.
    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Pringle" <pringle@rgpbury.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have 4 win me machines in our enterprise.
    >
    > All of them seem to have timebombed, no so long ago, in that;
    >
    > a) Active desktop causes the machine to lock-up;
    > b) Windows explorer, My computer etc. fail to run & then crash out;
    > c) Anything explorer based seems to struggle to load.
    > d) The clock freezes on load.
    >
    > The usual spybot checks (spybot S&D) & AV checks (Symantec) throw up
    > nothing.
    >
    > My best solution would be to replace the OS....but I have no budget to
    > undertake this at the moment.
    >
    > Any help is much appreciated.

Desktops Explorer Crash Windows