Restore original file application

Hi, I tried to open a .db file in an application I am using. The system
asked me what application I wanted to attach to this. As it was a .db file,
I chose Excel. This is wrong, and now I cannot undo it!! It is looking
for Sybase ODBC driver and every time I try to change the file from excel to
this, I run into the same brick wall. I have a backup of the .db file as a
zip file, and every time I try to extract it, it seems to find the old one
and it comes up as excel. I am quite frustrated by this and hope it is
something that can be easily remedied, as so much work went into producing
this data!! Help!! Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about restore original file application

    There is no original file association for .db files in Win ME.

    If you want to remove the wrong association, then remove it in
    Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types or use Regedit
    (Start-Run-Regedit) and delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.DB

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi, I tried to open a .db file in an application I am using. The system
    >asked me what application I wanted to attach to this. As it was a .db file,
    >I chose Excel. This is wrong, and now I cannot undo it!! It is looking
    >for Sybase ODBC driver and every time I try to change the file from excel to
    >this, I run into the same brick wall. I have a backup of the .db file as a
    >zip file, and every time I try to extract it, it seems to find the old one
    >and it comes up as excel. I am quite frustrated by this and hope it is
    >something that can be easily remedied, as so much work went into producing
    >this data!! Help!! Thanks in advance.

    Hi Alan - I did as you suggested and got rid of the .db stuff. However,
    every time I try to extract the zip file, it gives me the same thing. I
    right clicked on the file, and then Open With and had two options (1) excel,
    and (2) Sybase Inc Product file, which I think it something to do with the
    program I am running (an investment property software called POSH). When I
    try to open POSH, it cannot connect to the database. The message is:
    "Cannot conenct to Database. SQL STATE=08001. [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable
    to connect to database server: unable to start specific database". I am
    somewhat baffled, as I was using the program successfully until a month ago,
    when I had to remove it from my pc because of some pc problems. Before
    doing so, I zipped the posh.db file and saved it to disk, so that I could
    readily use it again once I reinstalled the POSH program. As I said, there
    are months of work involved in the database file, so ANY suggestion would be
    most welcome and highly appreciated. I still don't seem to be able to have
    "no" file associations when I extract that file. Thanks. Trish

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > There is no original file association for .db files in Win ME.
    >
    > If you want to remove the wrong association, then remove it in
    > Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types or use Regedit
    > (Start-Run-Regedit) and delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.DB
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    > <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi, I tried to open a .db file in an application I am using. The system
    > >asked me what application I wanted to attach to this. As it was a .db file,
    > >I chose Excel. This is wrong, and now I cannot undo it!! It is looking
    > >for Sybase ODBC driver and every time I try to change the file from excel to
    > >this, I run into the same brick wall. I have a backup of the .db file as a
    > >zip file, and every time I try to extract it, it seems to find the old one
    > >and it comes up as excel. I am quite frustrated by this and hope it is
    > >something that can be easily remedied, as so much work went into producing
    > >this data!! Help!! Thanks in advance.

    Trish,

    I am not familiar with any software called POSH but it is likely that
    it should know how to open a .db file. Quite often, applications can
    open their own files and they need no association in Windows to do it.
    When the program was running correctly, did you ever try to open a .db
    file from Windows? If not, why are you trying to do it now?

    I don't follow why you have to have an association to extract a file.
    What program do you use for .zip files?
    I use Winzip and I have no trouble extracting an unassociated file.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Alan - I did as you suggested and got rid of the .db stuff. However,
    >every time I try to extract the zip file, it gives me the same thing. I
    >right clicked on the file, and then Open With and had two options (1) excel,
    >and (2) Sybase Inc Product file, which I think it something to do with the
    >program I am running (an investment property software called POSH). When I
    >try to open POSH, it cannot connect to the database. The message is:
    >"Cannot conenct to Database. SQL STATE=08001. [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable
    >to connect to database server: unable to start specific database". I am
    >somewhat baffled, as I was using the program successfully until a month ago,
    >when I had to remove it from my pc because of some pc problems. Before
    >doing so, I zipped the posh.db file and saved it to disk, so that I could
    >readily use it again once I reinstalled the POSH program. As I said, there
    >are months of work involved in the database file, so ANY suggestion would be
    >most welcome and highly appreciated. I still don't seem to be able to have
    >"no" file associations when I extract that file. Thanks. Trish
    >
    >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> There is no original file association for .db files in Win ME.
    >>
    >> If you want to remove the wrong association, then remove it in
    >> Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types or use Regedit
    >> (Start-Run-Regedit) and delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.DB
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    >> <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi, I tried to open a .db file in an application I am using. The system
    >> >asked me what application I wanted to attach to this. As it was a .db file,
    >> >I chose Excel. This is wrong, and now I cannot undo it!! It is looking
    >> >for Sybase ODBC driver and every time I try to change the file from excel to
    >> >this, I run into the same brick wall. I have a backup of the .db file as a
    >> >zip file, and every time I try to extract it, it seems to find the old one
    >> >and it comes up as excel. I am quite frustrated by this and hope it is
    >> >something that can be easily remedied, as so much work went into producing
    >> >this data!! Help!! Thanks in advance.

    Hi Alan, I only tried to open it through Windows once I encounted the error
    message with starting the program. Usually I just open POSH and everything
    is there. I am using Winzip, but, because posh.db was associated with excel
    before (my error), it keeps defaulting to that, and I seem unable to change
    it. I did try to change it to Sybase Inc Product file simply because I
    clicked on "other" and this is the file that was associated with POSH (the
    program). It seems happy to accept that too, but it dosen't open with the
    program. I seem to have created a mess, haven't I!? I even uninstalled and
    reinstalled POSH, and any reference to them in "Recent" files. I am not
    sure what you call the symbol (like the excel X) that signifies no
    association, but that is what I am trying to achieve. Sorry to be a pain -
    your help and suggestions are much appreciated.
    Cheers.

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > Trish,
    >
    > I am not familiar with any software called POSH but it is likely that
    > it should know how to open a .db file. Quite often, applications can
    > open their own files and they need no association in Windows to do it.
    > When the program was running correctly, did you ever try to open a .db
    > file from Windows? If not, why are you trying to do it now?
    >
    > I don't follow why you have to have an association to extract a file.
    > What program do you use for .zip files?
    > I use Winzip and I have no trouble extracting an unassociated file.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    > <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Alan - I did as you suggested and got rid of the .db stuff. However,
    > >every time I try to extract the zip file, it gives me the same thing. I
    > >right clicked on the file, and then Open With and had two options (1) excel,
    > >and (2) Sybase Inc Product file, which I think it something to do with the
    > >program I am running (an investment property software called POSH). When I
    > >try to open POSH, it cannot connect to the database. The message is:
    > >"Cannot conenct to Database. SQL STATE=08001. [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable
    > >to connect to database server: unable to start specific database". I am
    > >somewhat baffled, as I was using the program successfully until a month ago,
    > >when I had to remove it from my pc because of some pc problems. Before
    > >doing so, I zipped the posh.db file and saved it to disk, so that I could
    > >readily use it again once I reinstalled the POSH program. As I said, there
    > >are months of work involved in the database file, so ANY suggestion would be
    > >most welcome and highly appreciated. I still don't seem to be able to have
    > >"no" file associations when I extract that file. Thanks. Trish
    > >
    > >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There is no original file association for .db files in Win ME.
    > >>
    > >> If you want to remove the wrong association, then remove it in
    > >> Explorer-Tools-Folder Options-File Types or use Regedit
    > >> (Start-Run-Regedit) and delete the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.DB
    > >>
    > >> ....Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Hi Trish,

    There is something I am missing or we are talking a different
    language.
    You still have me puzzled as to why you are concerned with
    associations. Why do you need to have it unassociated?
    It won't affect what POSH does with it. It shouldn't matter to POSH
    what application you have posh.db associated with.
    I imagine it only wants the file in the right place.

    If you want the unassociated symbol, then just delete the association
    as suggested, but I don't see that is necessary as I cannot see that
    it will achieve anything.

    The .db file is probably is not meant to open in Windows by either
    double-clicking or right-clicking so why are you trying?

    You mention an error when starting the program. Can you concentrate on
    that instead? What is the exact error?

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi Alan, I only tried to open it through Windows once I encounted the error
    >message with starting the program. Usually I just open POSH and everything
    >is there. I am using Winzip, but, because posh.db was associated with excel
    >before (my error), it keeps defaulting to that, and I seem unable to change
    >it. I did try to change it to Sybase Inc Product file simply because I
    >clicked on "other" and this is the file that was associated with POSH (the
    >program). It seems happy to accept that too, but it dosen't open with the
    >program. I seem to have created a mess, haven't I!? I even uninstalled and
    >reinstalled POSH, and any reference to them in "Recent" files. I am not
    >sure what you call the symbol (like the excel X) that signifies no
    >association, but that is what I am trying to achieve. Sorry to be a pain -
    >your help and suggestions are much appreciated.
    >Cheers.
    >
    >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> Trish,
    >>
    >> I am not familiar with any software called POSH but it is likely that
    >> it should know how to open a .db file. Quite often, applications can
    >> open their own files and they need no association in Windows to do it.
    >> When the program was running correctly, did you ever try to open a .db
    >> file from Windows? If not, why are you trying to do it now?
    >>
    >> I don't follow why you have to have an association to extract a file.
    >> What program do you use for .zip files?
    >> I use Winzip and I have no trouble extracting an unassociated file.
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Trish"
    >> <Trish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi Alan - I did as you suggested and got rid of the .db stuff. However,
    >> >every time I try to extract the zip file, it gives me the same thing. I
    >> >right clicked on the file, and then Open With and had two options (1) excel,
    >> >and (2) Sybase Inc Product file, which I think it something to do with the
    >> >program I am running (an investment property software called POSH). When I
    >> >try to open POSH, it cannot connect to the database. The message is:
    >> >"Cannot conenct to Database. SQL STATE=08001. [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable
    >> >to connect to database server: unable to start specific database". I am
    >> >somewhat baffled, as I was using the program successfully until a month ago,
    >> >when I had to remove it from my pc because of some pc problems. Before
    >> >doing so, I zipped the posh.db file and saved it to disk, so that I could
    >> >readily use it again once I reinstalled the POSH program. As I said, there
    >> >are months of work involved in the database file, so ANY suggestion would be
    >> >most welcome and highly appreciated. I still don't seem to be able to have

    Hi Alan

    I have uninstalled and re-installed yet again, and for some reason it has
    worked this time. I just wanted to thank you for your time and patience in
    trying to help me. I actually did learn something too!

    Thanks again for your kind assistance, and keep up the good work!

    Kind regards.

Excel Microsoft Windows