Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Real life joystick in aircraft

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 16, 2005 10:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I've seen this a few times lately:
http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...

Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand? That
would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.

Dallas
February 16, 2005 10:00:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:GcCQd.1503$kU3.753@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
> Dallas
>
Yep that's how it is esp with Airbus

Bill
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:56:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand? That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.

Bah! You just know those pilots will engage the AP just after takeoff and
not disengage it until the decision altitude/missed approach point.


--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Related resources
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 1:26:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote :
>
> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> That would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>

Not more unnatural to fly in the wrong seat referred to a car.

The sidestick has different operating modes, wich normally
is not proportional, (talking about the airbus) it puts the
plane in the maximum "g" set for the requested operation,
example :

level flight, pushed once, start descent

descending, pulled once, goes into level flight

level flight, pulled once, start climbing

climbing, push once, back to level flight.

same for left and right turns, I should check but if Im
not wrong I think that the turning rate is set at the maximum
sidestick extension reached, without need to be held.

always if I remind correctly, this goes under the name of
"normal law", they have different modes in wich only
an emergency one is proportional in case of computer
failure. in case instead of a complete failure BUT hydraulic
power, the only way left to turn wherever are the pedals,
and the rudder switch. And the next question probably
is "what if I don't have hydraulic systems ?" wich answer
is to pray, as in an airbus, I guess it would not even
come down autolevelled.

This is absurd, in my humble opinion, as it's true that
in every other plane you can still push yokes with
the help of more people, and the plane turns,
and now, please take place to see the first a380 flights :-(
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:00:54 GMT, "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com>
wrote:

>I've seen this a few times lately:
>http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
>Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand? That
>would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
>Dallas
>

Its no differrent to flying with a standard yoke.

Left hand on the yoke while the other operates the throttles and nav/radio
equipment etc.

I have flown RW from both seats and have no dificulty in changing hands although
you have to think quickly in emergencies when flying twins with two each of
throttles, props and mixtures.


Norman Bates
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:26:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Nobby Bates" <Nobend@dslexic.com> wrote :
>
> Its no differrent to flying with a standard yoke.
>
> Left hand on the yoke while the other operates the throttles and nav/radio
> equipment etc.
>
> I have flown RW from both seats and have no dificulty in changing hands
> although
> you have to think quickly in emergencies when flying twins with two each
> of
> throttles, props and mixtures.
>
>

Sorry is the side stick of those small aircraft proportional and
servo assisted ? it is not like you operate with the same force
on a standard yoke ?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"J.F. Sebastian" <rintin@tin.it> wrote:

> Sorry is the side stick of those small aircraft proportional and
> servo assisted ? it is not like you operate with the same force
> on a standard yoke ?

I have sat in a Cirrus cockpit and to me, the side stick feels as if it
requires the same forces as any standard, small GA aircraft such as a
Cessna 182. To my knowledge there are no servos to assist in overcoming
the forces required to move the flight controls (with the AP off, of
course).

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:GcCQd.1503$kU3.753@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
> Dallas
>
>
At first glance yes, but after a few minutes you would find out that it's no
big deal. Happened to me as a left-hander when I had to do some right-seat
qualification flights as an instructor.
Even on common "yoke" commanded A/C it's the very same. Copilot: right hand
at yoke, left hand at throttle, Captain: left hand at yoke, right hand at
throttle.
And then there are some nice small A/C with the good old stick......
Piper Cub/Super Cub: Left hand at throttle, right hand at stick
Dornier Do27/28: left hand at stick, right hand at throttle
Pilatus Porter PC6: left hand at stick, right hand at throttle
TBC forever..... ;-)
Remember: flying is fun!!!
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:02:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"J.F. Sebastian" <rintin@tin.it> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:37ght6F5d0lclU1@individual.net...
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote :
> And the next question probably
> is "what if I don't have hydraulic systems ?" wich answer
> is to pray, as in an airbus, I guess it would not even
> come down autolevelled.
>
> This is absurd, in my humble opinion, as it's true that
> in every other plane you can still push yokes with
> the help of more people, and the plane turns,
> and now, please take place to see the first a380 flights :-(
Are you really sure? Do you really think in a B777 there are still cables to
all flight controls? Really?? ;-)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote :
>> And the next question probably
>> is "what if I don't have hydraulic systems ?" wich answer
>> is to pray, as in an airbus, I guess it would not even
>> come down autolevelled.
>>
>> This is absurd, in my humble opinion, as it's true that
>> in every other plane you can still push yokes with
>> the help of more people, and the plane turns,
>> and now, please take place to see the first a380 flights :-(
> Are you really sure? Do you really think in a B777 there are still cables
> to all flight controls? Really?? ;-)

I don't have a direct knowledge as you probably may have,
I just heard it still works, altough I can't remember exactly
where I wrote that I think that it still works trough wires.

Maybe a different hydraulic system ?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:53:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

pr <nope@nospam.com> wrote:
> Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>
> > I've seen this a few times lately:
> > http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
> >
> > Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> > That would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
> Bah! You just know those pilots will engage the AP just after takeoff
> and not disengage it until the decision altitude/missed approach point.

In the C172, even though it has a yoke, I was trained to fly with only my
left hand on the yoke, as I would think all pilots are. The right hand is
used to control the radios, throttle, mixture etc. This would be a natural
fit and would not feel strange. In fact the opposite would be true. If
the control were on the right, it would be very odd to transition to this
plane.

--
Mike Flyin'8
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:53:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

<Flyin'8@here.com> wrote:

> In the C172, even though it has a yoke, I was trained to fly with only my
> left hand on the yoke, as I would think all pilots are. The right hand is
> used to control the radios, throttle, mixture etc. This would be a natural
> fit and would not feel strange. In fact the opposite would be true. If
> the control were on the right, it would be very odd to transition to this
> plane.

Unless you are left handed, as I am, and need to copy down an amended IFR
clearance in the air. Ambidexterity is really the key.

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:53:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1mmsdzmi54t69$.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
> <Flyin'8@here.com> wrote:
>
>> In the C172, even though it has a yoke, I was trained to fly with only my
>> left hand on the yoke, as I would think all pilots are. The right hand
>> is
>> used to control the radios, throttle, mixture etc. This would be a
>> natural
>> fit and would not feel strange. In fact the opposite would be true. If
>> the control were on the right, it would be very odd to transition to this
>> plane.
>
> Unless you are left handed, as I am, and need to copy down an amended IFR
> clearance in the air. Ambidexterity is really the key.
>
> --
> Peter

Same here Peter, I am also left handed. But right hand, left hand, made no
difference. You just get used it pretty quick. In stick aircraft (L-19,
Helicopters) the "stick" was in the right hand, collective/throttle, etc in
the left. In the right seat of a yoke aircraft (L-20, T-41) right hand for
yoke, left for throttle And in a helicopter, flying the left seat, you
really had to be ambidextrous, since the console with the radios was on your
right. Left knee pressure to hold collective in place, switch to left hand
on the cyclic, right hand tuned radios, etc. Then reverse the process back
to normal. :-))

Never really had a problem with any of it.

Paul
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 6:59:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:GcCQd.1503$kU3.753@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
> Dallas

There are even airplanes like the Luscombe that have a centered stick on
each side with the throttle in the middle. I can tell you that THIS took
some getting used to!! :-)
The controller concept in high performance airplanes is nothing new.
We use a side stick controller in the F16 which is of course for the
right hand. This setup you have shown here would not be as difficult as
it might appear for the pilot's left hand. It takes a flight or two to
get the hang of it, but you would be surprised how quickly pilots adjust
to these things.
I remember the first time I taxied out in a Mk 16 Spitfire. I thought
the brakes on the damn airplane were the craziest setup I had ever seen:
invented by insane people in a dark room with no windows, not to mention
the knuckled spade grip on the stick. By the time I had done the runup,
I loved the brakes because I didn't have to push the pedals and hold the
airplane, and by the time I landed after a short flight, the Spade and I
were friends for life! :-)
Dudley
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:06:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:00:54 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand? That
>would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.

Hi Dallas

My joystick is of the ergonomic type; ergonomic for right handed
folks, that is. So, in FS, I use my "wrong" (ie, right) hand. I should
also add that my right arm is partly paralysed following my head
injury several years ago. I find it easy enough.

I'm sure that real life pilots are quite able to use one or the other
and switch between them willy nilly.

James
February 16, 2005 7:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1mmsdzmi54t69$.dlg@ID-259643.user.individual.net...
> <Flyin'8@here.com> wrote:
>
> > In the C172, even though it has a yoke, I was trained to fly with only
my
> > left hand on the yoke, as I would think all pilots are. The right hand
is
> > used to control the radios, throttle, mixture etc. This would be a
natural
> > fit and would not feel strange. In fact the opposite would be true. If
> > the control were on the right, it would be very odd to transition to
this
> > plane.
>
> Unless you are left handed, as I am, and need to copy down an amended IFR
> clearance in the air. Ambidexterity is really the key.
>

You just swap hands on the yoke and write with your left hand, you don't
need to be ambidextrous at writing. If it's just a "clear direct Z"
amendment there's hardly anything to write down. If it's a much
longer-winded amendment the controller will always ask you if you're ready
to copy anyway. If you're in a phase of flight that needs three hands,
never mind two, then you just reply "standby" until such time as you're
sorted. You'll probably say "standby" anyway (left *or* right handed)
whilst you reach for your pen/crayon/burnt stick.

Steve
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:51:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Steve <steve@deletemefirst.zord.co.uk> wrote:

> You just swap hands on the yoke

That was my point. I was responding to the poster who commented that all
pilots were taught to use left hand for yoke, right hand for everything
else.

--
Peter













----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I hate sticks, I use one but I loved flying a Cessna (birthday present) with
a yoke, nice and easy nice to feel. But that's me, and I am 1337 :D  lol

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
--
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:GcCQd.1503$kU3.753@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand?
> That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:16:52 GMT, you wrote:

> I hate sticks, I use one but I loved flying a Cessna (birthday
> present) with a yoke, nice and easy nice to feel.

I've never flown a real plane, stick or yoke, but I do have both a
joystick and a yoke (and rudder/brake pedals) with the sim, and so I
mix and match them depending on which plane I'm flying.

I enjoy using the yoke when it's appropriate for the plane, but I must
say that I'm beginning to really love the stick controlled planes
(Super Decathlon, SF.260, Piper Cub, etc.), because I find something
more "organic" about flying with a stick as opposed to a yoke.
Conceptually speaking, the smooth transitional movements possible
with a stick seem more naturally "3D" to me as opposed to the way a
yoke is manipulated in the physical sense, and since planes move in a
fully three dimensional space, the stick makes perfect sense to me.

I suppose someday, when I acquire a simulated plane that's equipped
with a left hand stick, I'll have to get yet another joystick
(perhaps one designed to work with either hand?), as my current
joystick is only meant to be controlled with the right hand.

- --
Melissa

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iD8DBQFCE6FzKgHVMc6ouYMRAwiFAKCG2kDkoyJNbFpe7Mpe30VkkT91WgCg/lvf
BLu0qIKcP2W5Qt5ZF3E6A3k=
=pAx/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:30:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:00:54 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> I've seen this a few times lately:
> http://www.eclipseaviation.com/press_photos/E500dash_md...
>
> Am I to assume that the left seat pilot has to fly with his left hand? That
> would seem unnatural for us right handed folks.

Then fly "English style!" Fly from the right seat! ;) 

Bill
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:59:22 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

> At first glance yes, but after a few minutes you would find out that it's no
> big deal. Happened to me as a left-hander when I had to do some right-seat
> qualification flights as an instructor.

I tried it a while back, flying an Airbus lefthanded with a regular
Sidewinder joystick, and I couldn't keep her stable.
Especially banking was weird.
Because I was holding a stick I tended to get that fighterpilot feeling.

Ofcourse the overal "feel" of a real Airbus stick must be way different
than a regular pc joystick, right? Not as "loose"?

--

Marcel
(...flying through an asteroid field ain't like dusting crops, boy!)
February 16, 2005 11:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"pr"
> Unless you are left handed, as I am, and need to copy down an amended IFR
> clearance in the air.

With a yoke you can switch hands. Additionally, the yoke is centered to the
body... something that is easier for the brain process when you switch.

Lefties are likely better at ambidexterity because they live in a right
handed world and are forced to practice with the wrong hand more often.

I wonder about the right handed Airbus copilot as PIC when he needs to write
down an amended IFR clearance while hand flying the aircraft.

Dallas
February 16, 2005 11:12:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Marcel Kuijper"
> I tried it a while back, flying an Airbus lefthanded with a regular
> Sidewinder joystick

Yeah, I'm going to plug in the joystick and try to land a jet with my left
hand... I hope all the passengers have their life insurance paid up. :-)


Dallas
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:13rrppclk41sv.1ip4etk7u0h7r$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:59:22 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
>
> Ofcourse the overal "feel" of a real Airbus stick must be way different
> than a regular pc joystick, right? Not as "loose"?
>
> --
>
> Marcel
> (...flying through an asteroid field ain't like dusting crops, boy!)

Definitely!! ;-) Exquisite damping (hydraulic) and centering with absolutely
NO excessice play around null position and ... and .....
Well it's a piece of mechanical artwork but definitely not as cheap as a
joystick... ;-)
BTW we were not allowed (for obvious reasons) to call it "joystick" as it
might have irritated our female flight crew members (no joke....). The
official wording was "sidestick"......
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:43:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:SJNQd.1909$IU.1221@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I wonder about the right handed Airbus copilot as PIC when he needs to
> write
> down an amended IFR clearance while hand flying the aircraft.
>
> Dallas

Well, that's exactly what he will NEVER (N-E-V-E-R) do!!!!! Whoever is PF
(Pilot Flying) will not deal with anything else than operating the A/C
(manually or by autopilot). Paperwork is generally the task of the PNF.
That's - among other things - one of the basics in a well organized 2-man
cockpit. (Speaking of major carriers with clearly defined Operation
Manuals.....)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
February 17, 2005 4:39:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>
>>I tried it a while back, flying an Airbus lefthanded with a regular
>>Sidewinder joystick
>
>
> Yeah, I'm going to plug in the joystick and try to land a jet with my left
> hand... I hope all the passengers have their life insurance paid up. :-)
>
>
> Dallas
>
>

In the quicksilver sport ultralight trainer there is a center mounted
stick and dual throttle controls which, for the left seater, is located
on the left side low beside the left seat for the left seat and for the
right seat the second throttle is on the right side of the right seat.


I flew with my hand very close to the throttle it was easy to learn to
fly with left hand on the stick.

In a UH-1 or an OH58 you just grip the cyclic between your knees when
writing clearances or info from the tactical situation. If you need to
turn when writing you learn to turn with your knees.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/airventure99/quicksilver_...

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:39:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:cBSQd.3295$cW2.476@fe2.texas.rr.com...
>
> In a UH-1 or an OH58 you just grip the cyclic between your knees when
> writing clearances or info from the tactical situation. If you need to
> turn when writing you learn to turn with your knees.
>
> http://www.ultralightnews.com/airventure99/quicksilver_...
>
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

Hi boB,

Unless of course you happen to be lucky enough to be left handed--in which
case, you just have to use some knee pressure against the collective to hold
it in place, and write with your left hand. Worked great for me. :-))

Paul
February 17, 2005 5:21:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Paul Riley wrote:

> Hi boB,
>
> Unless of course you happen to be lucky enough to be left handed--in which
> case, you just have to use some knee pressure against the collective to hold
> it in place, and write with your left hand. Worked great for me. :-))
>
> Paul
>
>

Yes, I can see that. But what did you do in the front seat of a Cobra?
I would think that being left handed would be difficult. Right now I'm
using that O&O Defrag util but later I'll load the AH-1 and try flying
front seat with the stick on my left.
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:21:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:ncTQd.4023$Bx5.2848@fe1.texas.rr.com...
>>
>
> Yes, I can see that. But what did you do in the front seat of a Cobra? I
> would think that being left handed would be difficult. Right now I'm
> using that O&O Defrag util but later I'll load the AH-1 and try flying
> front seat with the stick on my left.
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)

Well, with two guys in the bird, one was always available to write while the
other flew. Unless of course we got into a shooting match with some
unfriendly folks, in which case, we just forgot about any writing--couldn't
be of much importance at that time anyway. :-))

Last time I flew a Cobra I *think* was in 1974 here in the States and only
for a short flight. It was front seat, that I do remember. Last real flight
was in the Fall of 1968 in Vietnam. That was 36+ years ago, and my 70 year
old mind is not real clear on the front seat arrangements. I believe though
the cyclic was on the right, collective the left. I do remember it never
gave me any problem. I just flew it. Being left handed--no problem. But
then, even as a kid, I threw left, batted right!! :-))

Regards,
Paul
February 17, 2005 7:38:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Paul Riley wrote:


>
> Last time I flew a Cobra I *think* was in 1974 here in the States and only
> for a short flight. It was front seat, that I do remember. Last real flight
> was in the Fall of 1968 in Vietnam. That was 36+ years ago, and my 70 year
> old mind is not real clear on the front seat arrangements. I believe though
> the cyclic was on the right, collective the left. I do remember it never
> gave me any problem. I just flew it. Being left handed--no problem. But
> then, even as a kid, I threw left, batted right!! :-))
>
> Regards,
> Paul
>
>

You flew the G model which had a flex gunsight instead of the TSU but
the flight controls were the same. This is finally OT cause I'm showing
the pictures of a Cobra front seat in the FS9 AH-1S.

http://img123.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img123&image=cobrafront...

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
February 17, 2005 7:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Bill Leaming"
> Then fly "English style!" Fly from the right seat! ;) 

....And fly on the wrong side of the sky. :-)


Dallas
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:16:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Bob;

I downloaded that oo defrag tonight and ran it. My XP default defrag
hasn't told me to defrag in several months. I had no way of knowing if
it was working or not :-)
Pete said to use the name option which I did by right clicking on the c
drive. I'm now showing a 0% fragmentation and the sim seems to be
running fine.
Dudley
"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
news:ncTQd.4023$Bx5.2848@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> Paul Riley wrote:
>
>> Hi boB,
>>
>> Unless of course you happen to be lucky enough to be left handed--in
>> which case, you just have to use some knee pressure against the
>> collective to hold it in place, and write with your left hand. Worked
>> great for me. :-))
>>
>> Paul
>
> Yes, I can see that. But what did you do in the front seat of a
> Cobra? I would think that being left handed would be difficult. Right
> now I'm using that O&O Defrag util but later I'll load the AH-1 and
> try flying front seat with the stick on my left.
> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
February 17, 2005 9:39:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dudley Henriques wrote:

> Hi Bob;
>
> I downloaded that oo defrag tonight and ran it. My XP default defrag
> hasn't told me to defrag in several months. I had no way of knowing if
> it was working or not :-)
> Pete said to use the name option which I did by right clicking on the c
> drive. I'm now showing a 0% fragmentation and the sim seems to be
> running fine.
> Dudley


Thanks Dudley. The OO util is still plugging away. At least it's on
the second 250G drive now. I like the way I can use the computer while
the defrag is ... .hmmmn ahh defragging


--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Chris Harries wrote:
> what you are you on about..the pilot sits in the left hand seat...and
> yes I am English and have flown a real place.

Some of us English chaps can also be seen flying the occasional cod or
haddock around as well :-)

Quilljar
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
Do not reply personally, false address
February 18, 2005 8:04:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Quilljar"
> Some of us English chaps can also be seen flying the occasional cod or
> haddock around as well :-)

Look!... there goes one now!



Dallas
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:38:16 +0100, Stephen F. wrote:

> Ah, but all the stiff upper lip types have just lost their beloved fox hunt.
> Next you'll lose the tweed cap, all MGBs will be impounded, and fish & chips
> will be banned for health reasons. :-)

If fish and chips is banned, what will they do with all those newspapers?
:-))

--

Marcel
(...flying through an asteroid field ain't like dusting crops, boy!)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:33:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 04:57:03 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Bill Leaming"
>> Then fly "English style!" Fly from the right seat! ;) 
>
> ...And fly on the wrong side of the sky. :-)

ROTFL!!!!

Then London Center ATC comes on:
"I say old boy...you're flying rather inconvient at this time. Would you
mind terribley moving your aeroplane 1000 yards to the left or right of the
approaching aircraft? A collision would cause such a mess down here.
Pip pip and cherrio..."

:-)

--

Marcel
(If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to
push it, and when to back off. - Chuck Yeager)
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 10:42:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:55:47 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper" wrote:
>> Ofcourse the overal "feel" of a real Airbus stick must be way different
>> than a regular pc joystick, right? Not as "loose"?
>
> Definitely!! ;-) Exquisite damping (hydraulic) and centering with absolutely
> NO excessice play around null position and ... and .....
> Well it's a piece of mechanical artwork but definitely not as cheap as a
> joystick... ;-)

Just once I'd like to get a feel of the real thing, no matter how space-
aged I think it looks. It's been so long since I've been in the cockpit of
a real airliner I'm beginning to think the PMDG737 *is* real. :-)
Besides....I never been in an Airbus cockpit before. (pathetic, eh?)


> BTW we were not allowed (for obvious reasons) to call it "joystick" as it
> might have irritated our female flight crew members (no joke....). The
> official wording was "sidestick"......

No women take the fun out of flying??! (sorry Katy!)
They nag at you when you're driving, nag at you when you go shopping with
them, nag at you when you're a little late for dinner, nag at you when you
spend a few hours flying on the pc on a rainy day and now they dare to
invade the most sacred part of a man's life: the cockpit!

Why do you think they call it the 'cockpit'? <g>

(Oh boy...that's such a bad joke!!)

--

Marcel
(If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to
push it, and when to back off. - Chuck Yeager)
February 18, 2005 10:55:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Why do you think they call it the 'cockpit'? <g>

Hum..... actually... Why do they call it the cockpit?



Dallas
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:31:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Also Sprach Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.hotmail.com>:

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> Why do you think they call it the 'cockpit'? <g>

> Hum..... actually... Why do they call it the cockpit?

Because it's the perfect place for two chickens to fight each other when
they can't find the airport in a thunderstorm. :) 

Dan

--
37% of your base are belong to IRS.
Take off every deduction for great justice!
!