TrendMicro Security Scan shows MS 02-065 and MS 03-023 exp..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Hello:

I ran the online spyware and security check at Trend Micro Housecall:

The following two critical security exploits were noted:
MS 02-065
MS 03-023

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-065.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-023.mspx

I regularly install ALL critical updates for Windows ME and IE 6.0 at
Windows Update, so I had assumed that I have all critical security patches
installed.

I am a bit perplexed as these patches go back to 2002-3.

Other online security checks I have run show that all my ports are
stealthed...But I guess this might be a different issue...

My questions now are:

1) Could it be that I'm already protected against these exploits? Could that
online reading be erroneous?

2) Are there any risks to my system by installing patches such as these?

Can they be uninstalled if they create problems?

Thanks in advance:

-Ira

==============

Windows ME with all critical updates

IE 6.0 SP1 with all critical updates

Alan

Ira wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I ran the online spyware and security check at Trend Micro Housecall:
>
> The following two critical security exploits were noted:
> MS 02-065
> MS 03-023
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-065.mspx
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-023.mspx
>
> I regularly install ALL critical updates for Windows ME and IE 6.0 at
> Windows Update, so I had assumed that I have all critical security patches
> installed.
>
> I am a bit perplexed as these patches go back to 2002-3.
>
> Other online security checks I have run show that all my ports are
> stealthed...But I guess this might be a different issue...
>
> My questions now are:
>
> 1) Could it be that I'm already protected against these exploits? Could that
> online reading be erroneous?
>
> 2) Are there any risks to my system by installing patches such as these?
>
> Can they be uninstalled if they create problems?
>
> Thanks in advance:
>
> -Ira
>
> ==============
>
> Windows ME with all critical updates
>
> IE 6.0 SP1 with all critical updates

Run Windows Update and unhide what's already installed or review
your install history to see if you successfully installed those
Win ME updates. If yes, disregard the Trend Micro report. If
not, then install the updates.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Alan wrote:

<<<
| Run Windows Update and unhide what's already installed or review
| your install history to see if you successfully installed those
| Win ME updates

Thanks Alan:

Precisely how does one "unhide what's already installed' at the windows
update site?

Yes , I did find the Q329414: Security Update (MDAC 2.5)
to have been installed . This is what MS 02-065 puports to refer to.

I also see that the 823559 security update for MS Windows is installed.

Incidentally: When I run Windows Update , it tells me that all critical
updates r installed. But... Precisely how does one "unhide what's already
installed" at the windows update site?

Thanks again, Alan

-Ira

*************************
vacationmail.com> wrote in message
| Ira wrote:
| > Hello:
| >
| > I ran the online spyware and security check at Trend Micro Housecall:
| >
| > The following two critical security exploits were noted:
| > MS 02-065
| > MS 03-023
| >

| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-065.mspx
| >
| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-023.mspx
| >
| > I regularly install ALL critical updates for Windows ME and IE 6.0 at
| > Windows Update, so I had assumed that I have all critical security
patches
| > installed.
| >
| > I am a bit perplexed as these patches go back to 2002-3.
| >
| > Other online security checks I have run show that all my ports are
| > stealthed...But I guess this might be a different issue...
| >
| > My questions now are:
| >
| > 1) Could it be that I'm already protected against these exploits? Could
that
| > online reading be erroneous?
| >
| > 2) Are there any risks to my system by installing patches such as these?
| >
| > Can they be uninstalled if they create problems?
| >
| > Thanks in advance:
| >
| > -Ira
| >
| > ==============
| >
| > Windows ME with all critical updates
| >
| > IE 6.0 SP1 with all critical updates
| >

| Run Windows Update and unhide what's already installed or review
| your install history to see if you successfully installed those
| Win ME updates. If yes, disregard the Trend Micro report. If
| not, then install the updates.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Try running Belarc Advisor - www.belarc.com - to make sure that the patches
are properly installed, still

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
> Alan wrote:
>
> <<<
> | Run Windows Update and unhide what's already installed or review
> | your install history to see if you successfully installed those
> | Win ME updates
> >>>>

> Thanks Alan:
>
> Precisely how does one "unhide what's already installed' at the windows
> update site?
>

> Yes , I did find the Q329414: Security Update (MDAC 2.5)
> to have been installed . This is what MS 02-065 puports to refer to.
>
> I also see that the 823559 security update for MS Windows is installed.
>
> Incidentally: When I run Windows Update , it tells me that all critical
> updates r installed. But... Precisely how does one "unhide what's already
> installed" at the windows update site?
>
> Thanks again, Alan
>
> -Ira
>
> *************************
> vacationmail.com> wrote in message
> | Ira wrote:
> | > Hello:
> | >
> | > I ran the online spyware and security check at Trend Micro Housecall:
> | >
> | > The following two critical security exploits were noted:
> | > MS 02-065
> | > MS 03-023
> | >

> | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-065.mspx
> | >
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-023.mspx
> | >
> | > I regularly install ALL critical updates for Windows ME and IE 6.0 at
> | > Windows Update, so I had assumed that I have all critical security
> patches
> | > installed.
> | >
> | > I am a bit perplexed as these patches go back to 2002-3.
> | >
> | > Other online security checks I have run show that all my ports are
> | > stealthed...But I guess this might be a different issue...
> | >
> | > My questions now are:
> | >
> | > 1) Could it be that I'm already protected against these exploits?
> Could
> that
> | > online reading be erroneous?
> | >
> | > 2) Are there any risks to my system by installing patches such as
> these?
> | >
> | > Can they be uninstalled if they create problems?
> | >
> | > Thanks in advance:
> | >
> | > -Ira
> | >
> | > ==============
> | >
> | > Windows ME with all critical updates
> | >
> | > IE 6.0 SP1 with all critical updates
> | >

> | Run Windows Update and unhide what's already installed or review
> | your install history to see if you successfully installed those
> | Win ME updates. If yes, disregard the Trend Micro report. If
> | not, then install the updates.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Under "Other Options". Click view installation history. I suspect
you've already done that.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Sorry, that was my first post using this set-up. It should have went
like this...

"Ira wrote

Thanks Alan:

Precisely how does one "unhide what's already installed' at the windows

update site?...

snip"

Run windows update, on the left side under other options there is a
link to view installation history. Clicking that link will reveal what
was installed and what failed to install. You sound as if you've
already looked at it.

Rita

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsupdate (More info?)

Yes, Rita:

I checked the Installation History at the Windows Update site. Both those
updates were shown as having been successfully installed.

In addition, one of those updates actually appears in the Control Panel
Add/Remove programs; Windows ME Q823559. This program addresses the MS
03-023 issue.

Thanks:

-Ira