  • Windows
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 29, 2005 10:21:42 AM

Good morning, afternoon or evening (as the case may). I am currently
running the following: Win Me 4.90.3000, IE 5.50.4807.2300 with my
trusty Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700. My startups are ZA 2.6.362,
Spyblocker 5.0 and AVG 7.0.308. The hardware is a Dell 4100 933mhz
256mb ram and 20gb generic IDE disk drive (type 47). As my subject
header implies when I first boot-up the OEM logo stays up for about 45
seconds. Normally it flashes by so quickly it is barely seen. I have to
admit my first action was to reset my computer after about 10 seconds
approx. 5 times in row. While reading a manual the computer was able to
complete the boot. I "googled" this group with the query "slow start
+WinME". I tried some of the suggestions, namely msconfig and restore
point with no success. During the boot process I noticed the cd-rom
drive light would come on but I couldn't hear the "A" drive. I placed
my boot floppy in the "A" drive but the computer would not read it. At
that point I goggled "can't access floopy drive" generally (Sadly, I
have to admit I derived some pleasure from the number of linux people
who had the same problem) and on this group. I thought the problems
were related so I checked bios and the floppy was there and the boot
order is correct. After sleeping on it, I decided to check to see if
there was a cd in the player. Grasping at that straw, I found I wasn't
able to get it to open. Looking in explorer, I don't see the CD or the
CD-RW drive although the A and C drive are there. I'm going to stop
here and ask for comments. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you in advance

Rita

More about : frozen slow oem logo boot

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:59:00 PM

The problem that I am having looks fairly common, unfortunately. I was
able to find this page http://logofrozen.notlong.com My diag lights
were YGYG indicating that the video controller failed to initialize.
Before I open my box I was wondering if someone could give me any
insight on a few things. Can anyone recall a video controller being the
cause of a CD-R or CD-RW not being recognized? Neither of these devices
are listed in the device manager. Is there something else I can do to
get the computer to recognize them. I could understand one drive
failing, but both at the same time seems odd to me. I have a feeling
that I may be dealing with more than one problem. Reading all four
pages of the forum listed above was not the way to get my holiday
started. Any comments welcome.

Thank in advance

Rita
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:12:55 AM

Try Boot Log Analyzer (Freeware) from
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.htm...
It might help you to pin down the cause of the slow boot-ups. (NB - Although
it says Win95, it also works on WinME)

Look at the 'Duration' column and look for an event (or events) taking
several 'tens' of seconds, instead of fractions of seconds.

Also see "Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;127970

If you not sure how to decipher the results, you might need to seek the
assistance of your local PC repair shop. To be fair, the original BLA page
(not the one at this URL) did state that " ... interpreting the results
requires in-depth technical knowledge."

However, if you suspect that your CD-ROM's *may* be causing problems, try
booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, selecting option 2. Start
computer with CD-ROM support. Are there any error reports?

Mart

"Rita" <serendipity.inc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The problem that I am having looks fairly common, unfortunately. I was
> able to find this page http://logofrozen.notlong.com My diag lights
> were YGYG indicating that the video controller failed to initialize.
> Before I open my box I was wondering if someone could give me any
> insight on a few things. Can anyone recall a video controller being the
> cause of a CD-R or CD-RW not being recognized? Neither of these devices
> are listed in the device manager. Is there something else I can do to
> get the computer to recognize them. I could understand one drive
> failing, but both at the same time seems odd to me. I have a feeling
> that I may be dealing with more than one problem. Reading all four
> pages of the forum listed above was not the way to get my holiday
> started. Any comments welcome.
>
> Thank in advance
>
> Rita

June 30, 2005 1:04:24 PM

Mart NoSpam wrote,

"Try Boot Log Analyzer (Freeware) from
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win­32/bootloganalyzer123.html
It might help you to pin down the cause of the slow boot-ups. (NB -
Although
it says Win95, it also works on WinME)
Look at the 'Duration' column and look for an event (or events) taking
several 'tens' of seconds, instead of fractions of seconds."

Thank you for your reply. Upon trying that freeware I come up with
these items as the ones with the longest duration.

AudioPCI 64V (WDM) (PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_13711274&REV_09\60F000
11:31:20 1.33 Initing esdi_506.pdr
11:31:21 0.28 Init Success esdi_506.pdr
11:31:22 0.28 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\serial.vxd
11:31:22 1.28 INITCOMPLETE = AVGCORE
11:31:24 5.17 InitDone = TSRQuery (time estimated)
11:31:29 9.56 Enumerated Standard Floppy Disk Controller
(ACPI\*PNP0700\0)
11:31:39 16.06 Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
(SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD15

"Also see "Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;1279­70"

The only load that failed was this one.
11:31:16 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000B640E] File not found

I'll do what research I can with this. Some items are obvious-AVGCORE
is my virus scanner. There are a few which will require that I learn
some things that I don't know now like 000b640E. As I live very far out
in the country and the local shop charges unfair prices I'm going to do
everything I can myself.

....snip...

"However, if you suspect that your CD-ROM's *may* be causing problems,
try
booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, selecting option 2.
Start
computer with CD-ROM support. Are there any error reports?"

Thanks for this suggestion. I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly. The messages I got were
these in this order--

Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
No valid CDROM device drivers selected

Although, I'm not the most technically adept person around a computer,
for the reasons listed above I have learned about small things like
adding cards, memory, swapping out drives and the like. However, if
there is a way to force WinMe to recognize the CD-R and CD-RW drives
without opening the box please let me know.

Thank You

Rita
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:36:12 PM

Mart (NoSpam) wrote:
> OK Rita, taking the last point first (and only worrying about the bootup
> times later - if we need to) :-
>
> > Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
> > Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
> > No valid CDROM device drivers selected
>
> Sounds very worrying - it appears that neither of your CD-ROM's are being
> recognised in Real Mode DOS. In which case, this has nothing to do with
> WinMe!!!

I took a look at the IDE configuration. The primary IDE master is
Maxtor. The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed

> BUT - you also said that you were having problems getting the floppy drive
> to be recognised and :-
>
> > I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
> > but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly.
>
> Do you mean the actual floppy disk was not pushed in far enough or that the
> ribbon cable on attached to the back of the drive was not seated properly?

I had not pushed the disk in far enough.

> If the latter, then I would also suspect that the ribbon cables connecting
> the CD-ROM's is probably not seated at the motherboard end.
>
> You *may* also have to confirm that your BIOS 'sees' the CD-ROM's - but for
> the moment you really need to take the covers off your PC (again!!) and
> inspect all the ribbon cables and confirm that they are all seated correctly
> at BOTH ends. You *might* well have disturbed them when you were 'under the
> bonnet' previously.
>
> Mart

....snip...

I have no problems being "computer handywoman":-) I've gotten my
adjustable wrist strap out along with my kit that has the torx driver
and chip extractor. Of course, Murphys Law being what it is, I threw my
can of compressed air out during pre-holiday clean up. Before I get to
it one last question.
When you mentioned the BIOS "seeing" the CD-ROM are you referring to
the IDE configuration setup? As a fyi, my boot order is listed in
set-up as 1st boot device Floppy, 2nd ARMD-FDD, 3rd IDE-HDD, 4th ATAPI
CDROM. 5th Disabled.

Thank you

Rita
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:31:58 AM

OK Rita, taking the last point first (and only worrying about the bootup
times later - if we need to) :-

> Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
> Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
> No valid CDROM device drivers selected

Sounds very worrying - it appears that neither of your CD-ROM's are being
recognised in Real Mode DOS. In which case, this has nothing to do with
WinMe!!!

BUT - you also said that you were having problems getting the floppy drive
to be recognised and :-

> I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
> but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly.

Do you mean the actual floppy disk was not pushed in far enough or that the
ribbon cable on attached to the back of the drive was not seated properly?

If the latter, then I would also suspect that the ribbon cables connecting
the CD-ROM's is probably not seated at the motherboard end.

You *may* also have to confirm that your BIOS 'sees' the CD-ROM's - but for
the moment you really need to take the covers off your PC (again!!) and
inspect all the ribbon cables and confirm that they are all seated correctly
at BOTH ends. You *might* well have disturbed them when you were 'under the
bonnet' previously.

Mart

"Rita" <serendipity.inc@gmail.com> wrote in message
Mart NoSpam wrote,

[...]

July 1, 2005 4:45:42 AM

> ... The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed

Yikes!!

Rita, your first BIOS screen (the Main one) which shows the System
Date/Time, Floppy Drive A, etc., should also show e.g. :-

Primary IDE Master Auto
Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM
Secondary IDE Slave CD-ROM

N.B.1. Yours may not show the EXACT same settings but please report back
with whatever yours shows.

N.B.2. If necessary, use the (down) arrow keys to highlight each of the
four and on each, press the Return key to force an updated response (e.g if
the Primary IDE Master reports Auto, then pressing Return should update it
to Maxtor xxxxx)

If you (still) don't see any mention of your CD-ROM's then confirm the
ribbon cables are correctly seated as described earlier. Worst case scenario
is a failing Mother board IDE controller(s) and/or failing CD-ROM's (Unlike
BOTH failing at once , but can happen, I suppose)

For the moment, the boot order BIOS screen is irrelevant.

BTW - Bed time here in the UK, but some one else should be able to walk you
through the next steps.

Good luck

> Mart (NoSpam) wrote:
>> OK Rita, taking the last point first (and only worrying about the bootup
>> times later - if we need to) :-
>>
>> > Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
>> > Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
>> > No valid CDROM device drivers selected
>>
>> Sounds very worrying - it appears that neither of your CD-ROM's are being
>> recognised in Real Mode DOS. In which case, this has nothing to do with
>> WinMe!!!
>
> I took a look at the IDE configuration. The primary IDE master is
> Maxtor. The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed
>
>> BUT - you also said that you were having problems getting the floppy
>> drive
>> to be recognised and :-
>>
>> > I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
>> > but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly.
>>
>> Do you mean the actual floppy disk was not pushed in far enough or that
>> the
>> ribbon cable on attached to the back of the drive was not seated
>> properly?
>
> I had not pushed the disk in far enough.
>
>> If the latter, then I would also suspect that the ribbon cables
>> connecting
>> the CD-ROM's is probably not seated at the motherboard end.
>>
>> You *may* also have to confirm that your BIOS 'sees' the CD-ROM's - but
>> for
>> the moment you really need to take the covers off your PC (again!!) and
>> inspect all the ribbon cables and confirm that they are all seated
>> correctly
>> at BOTH ends. You *might* well have disturbed them when you were 'under
>> the
>> bonnet' previously.
>>
>> Mart
>
> ...snip...
>
> I have no problems being "computer handywoman":-) I've gotten my
> adjustable wrist strap out along with my kit that has the torx driver
> and chip extractor. Of course, Murphys Law being what it is, I threw my
> can of compressed air out during pre-holiday clean up. Before I get to
> it one last question.
> When you mentioned the BIOS "seeing" the CD-ROM are you referring to
> the IDE configuration setup? As a fyi, my boot order is listed in
> set-up as 1st boot device Floppy, 2nd ARMD-FDD, 3rd IDE-HDD, 4th ATAPI
> CDROM. 5th Disabled.
>
> Thank you
>

> Rita

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 8:17:09 PM

Mart (NoSpam) wrote:
> > ... The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed
>
> Yikes!!
>

> Rita, your first BIOS screen (the Main one) which shows the System
> Date/Time, Floppy Drive A, etc., should also show e.g. :-
>
> Primary IDE Master Auto
> Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
> Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM
> Secondary IDE Slave CD-ROM
>
> N.B.1. Yours may not show the EXACT same settings but please report back
> with whatever yours shows.

Primary IDE Master Auto
Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
Secondary IDE Master Not Installed
Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed

> N.B.2. If necessary, use the (down) arrow keys to highlight each of the
> four and on each, press the Return key to force an updated response (e.g if
> the Primary IDE Master reports Auto, then pressing Return should update it
> to Maxtor xxxxx)

I tried this and it did not update to Maxtor (sigh).

> If you (still) don't see any mention of your CD-ROM's then confirm the
> ribbon cables are correctly seated as described earlier. Worst case scenario
> is a failing Mother board IDE controller(s) and/or failing CD-ROM's (Unlike
> BOTH failing at once , but can happen, I suppose)

....snip...

Thank you for your time and patience. I realize toward the end this
became more of a hardware than a WinMe software issue so I appreciate
your help. It does seem like a failing mobo IDE controller. I switched
ribbons around and still no joy. I found out that this particular
manufacturer uses a proprietary power connector for the mobo and power
supply unit. So, of course either I buy a mobo from them($147.96 US) or
get one from someone else which means replacing the cpu, memory, case
and psu. If there was a way I could give you guys some of the money I
saved from NOT going to the overcharging local repair shop I would.
Again, Thanks.

Rita
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:42:34 AM

Rita wrote :-

> ...snip...
>
> ...... So, of course either I buy a mobo from them($147.96 US) or
> get one from someone else which means replacing the cpu, memory, case
> and psu.
> Again, Thanks.
>
> Rita

Rita, in my opinion - and assuming your finances will stretch, don't even
consider any further expense on your 'older' WinMe machine (I'm guessing
it's more than 4 or 5 years old). For that sort of money, plus all the
extras and inconvenience, you'll still end up with an 'old' system. That
amount is probably more than half-way towards a brand new XP box - unless
you NEED top of the range <g>

Soldier on and save your pennies - you can always retrieve your data (by
various means) and tranfer stuff to a newer model at your leasure.

On the assumption that only the second IDE controller is faulty, you *might*
even get one of your CD-ROM's (the writer!!) to work on the first controller
along with your hard drive, for the duration.

Good luck

Mart
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 5:53:42 AM

Ooops..

My speilchucker missed it for some odd reason. Works this time though!

leasure = leisure

Mart
!