Frozen or slow OEM logo at boot

Good morning, afternoon or evening (as the case may). I am currently
running the following: Win Me 4.90.3000, IE 5.50.4807.2300 with my
trusty Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700. My startups are ZA 2.6.362,
Spyblocker 5.0 and AVG 7.0.308. The hardware is a Dell 4100 933mhz
256mb ram and 20gb generic IDE disk drive (type 47). As my subject
header implies when I first boot-up the OEM logo stays up for about 45
seconds. Normally it flashes by so quickly it is barely seen. I have to
admit my first action was to reset my computer after about 10 seconds
approx. 5 times in row. While reading a manual the computer was able to
complete the boot. I "googled" this group with the query "slow start
+WinME". I tried some of the suggestions, namely msconfig and restore
point with no success. During the boot process I noticed the cd-rom
drive light would come on but I couldn't hear the "A" drive. I placed
my boot floppy in the "A" drive but the computer would not read it. At
that point I goggled "can't access floopy drive" generally (Sadly, I
have to admit I derived some pleasure from the number of linux people
who had the same problem) and on this group. I thought the problems
were related so I checked bios and the floppy was there and the boot
order is correct. After sleeping on it, I decided to check to see if
there was a cd in the player. Grasping at that straw, I found I wasn't
able to get it to open. Looking in explorer, I don't see the CD or the
CD-RW drive although the A and C drive are there. I'm going to stop
here and ask for comments. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you in advance

Rita
9 answers Last reply
More about frozen slow logo boot

    The problem that I am having looks fairly common, unfortunately. I was
    able to find this page http://logofrozen.notlong.com My diag lights
    were YGYG indicating that the video controller failed to initialize.
    Before I open my box I was wondering if someone could give me any
    insight on a few things. Can anyone recall a video controller being the
    cause of a CD-R or CD-RW not being recognized? Neither of these devices
    are listed in the device manager. Is there something else I can do to
    get the computer to recognize them. I could understand one drive
    failing, but both at the same time seems odd to me. I have a feeling
    that I may be dealing with more than one problem. Reading all four
    pages of the forum listed above was not the way to get my holiday
    started. Any comments welcome.

    Thank in advance

    Rita

    Try Boot Log Analyzer (Freeware) from
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.html
    It might help you to pin down the cause of the slow boot-ups. (NB - Although
    it says Win95, it also works on WinME)

    Look at the 'Duration' column and look for an event (or events) taking
    several 'tens' of seconds, instead of fractions of seconds.

    Also see "Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;127970

    If you not sure how to decipher the results, you might need to seek the
    assistance of your local PC repair shop. To be fair, the original BLA page
    (not the one at this URL) did state that " ... interpreting the results
    requires in-depth technical knowledge."

    However, if you suspect that your CD-ROM's *may* be causing problems, try
    booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, selecting option 2. Start
    computer with CD-ROM support. Are there any error reports?

    Mart

    "Rita" <serendipity.inc@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The problem that I am having looks fairly common, unfortunately. I was
    > able to find this page http://logofrozen.notlong.com My diag lights
    > were YGYG indicating that the video controller failed to initialize.
    > Before I open my box I was wondering if someone could give me any
    > insight on a few things. Can anyone recall a video controller being the
    > cause of a CD-R or CD-RW not being recognized? Neither of these devices
    > are listed in the device manager. Is there something else I can do to
    > get the computer to recognize them. I could understand one drive
    > failing, but both at the same time seems odd to me. I have a feeling
    > that I may be dealing with more than one problem. Reading all four
    > pages of the forum listed above was not the way to get my holiday
    > started. Any comments welcome.
    >
    > Thank in advance
    >
    > Rita

    Mart NoSpam wrote,

    "Try Boot Log Analyzer (Freeware) from
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/win­32/bootloganalyzer123.html
    It might help you to pin down the cause of the slow boot-ups. (NB -
    Although
    it says Win95, it also works on WinME)
    Look at the 'Duration' column and look for an event (or events) taking
    several 'tens' of seconds, instead of fractions of seconds."

    Thank you for your reply. Upon trying that freeware I come up with
    these items as the ones with the longest duration.

    AudioPCI 64V (WDM) (PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_13711274&REV_09\60F000
    11:31:20 1.33 Initing esdi_506.pdr
    11:31:21 0.28 Init Success esdi_506.pdr
    11:31:22 0.28 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\serial.vxd
    11:31:22 1.28 INITCOMPLETE = AVGCORE
    11:31:24 5.17 InitDone = TSRQuery (time estimated)
    11:31:29 9.56 Enumerated Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    (ACPI\*PNP0700\0)
    11:31:39 16.06 Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
    (SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD15

    "Also see "Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;1279­70"

    The only load that failed was this one.
    11:31:16 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000B640E] File not found

    I'll do what research I can with this. Some items are obvious-AVGCORE
    is my virus scanner. There are a few which will require that I learn
    some things that I don't know now like 000b640E. As I live very far out
    in the country and the local shop charges unfair prices I'm going to do
    everything I can myself.

    ....snip...

    "However, if you suspect that your CD-ROM's *may* be causing problems,
    try
    booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, selecting option 2.
    Start
    computer with CD-ROM support. Are there any error reports?"

    Thanks for this suggestion. I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
    but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly. The messages I got were
    these in this order--

    Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
    Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
    No valid CDROM device drivers selected

    Although, I'm not the most technically adept person around a computer,
    for the reasons listed above I have learned about small things like
    adding cards, memory, swapping out drives and the like. However, if
    there is a way to force WinMe to recognize the CD-R and CD-RW drives
    without opening the box please let me know.

    Thank You

    Rita

    Mart (NoSpam) wrote:
    > OK Rita, taking the last point first (and only worrying about the bootup
    > times later - if we need to) :-
    >
    > > Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
    > > Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
    > > No valid CDROM device drivers selected
    >
    > Sounds very worrying - it appears that neither of your CD-ROM's are being
    > recognised in Real Mode DOS. In which case, this has nothing to do with
    > WinMe!!!

    I took a look at the IDE configuration. The primary IDE master is
    Maxtor. The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed

    > BUT - you also said that you were having problems getting the floppy drive
    > to be recognised and :-
    >
    > > I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
    > > but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly.
    >
    > Do you mean the actual floppy disk was not pushed in far enough or that the
    > ribbon cable on attached to the back of the drive was not seated properly?

    I had not pushed the disk in far enough.

    > If the latter, then I would also suspect that the ribbon cables connecting
    > the CD-ROM's is probably not seated at the motherboard end.
    >
    > You *may* also have to confirm that your BIOS 'sees' the CD-ROM's - but for
    > the moment you really need to take the covers off your PC (again!!) and
    > inspect all the ribbon cables and confirm that they are all seated correctly
    > at BOTH ends. You *might* well have disturbed them when you were 'under the
    > bonnet' previously.
    >
    > Mart

    ....snip...

    I have no problems being "computer handywoman":-) I've gotten my
    adjustable wrist strap out along with my kit that has the torx driver
    and chip extractor. Of course, Murphys Law being what it is, I threw my
    can of compressed air out during pre-holiday clean up. Before I get to
    it one last question.
    When you mentioned the BIOS "seeing" the CD-ROM are you referring to
    the IDE configuration setup? As a fyi, my boot order is listed in
    set-up as 1st boot device Floppy, 2nd ARMD-FDD, 3rd IDE-HDD, 4th ATAPI
    CDROM. 5th Disabled.

    Thank you

    Rita

    OK Rita, taking the last point first (and only worrying about the bootup
    times later - if we need to) :-

    > Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
    > Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
    > No valid CDROM device drivers selected

    Sounds very worrying - it appears that neither of your CD-ROM's are being
    recognised in Real Mode DOS. In which case, this has nothing to do with
    WinMe!!!

    BUT - you also said that you were having problems getting the floppy drive
    to be recognised and :-

    > I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
    > but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly.

    Do you mean the actual floppy disk was not pushed in far enough or that the
    ribbon cable on attached to the back of the drive was not seated properly?

    If the latter, then I would also suspect that the ribbon cables connecting
    the CD-ROM's is probably not seated at the motherboard end.

    You *may* also have to confirm that your BIOS 'sees' the CD-ROM's - but for
    the moment you really need to take the covers off your PC (again!!) and
    inspect all the ribbon cables and confirm that they are all seated correctly
    at BOTH ends. You *might* well have disturbed them when you were 'under the
    bonnet' previously.

    Mart

    "Rita" <serendipity.inc@gmail.com> wrote in message
    Mart NoSpam wrote,

    "Try Boot Log Analyzer (Freeware) from
    http://www.woundedmoon.org/win­32/bootloganalyzer123.html
    It might help you to pin down the cause of the slow boot-ups. (NB -
    Although
    it says Win95, it also works on WinME)
    Look at the 'Duration' column and look for an event (or events) taking
    several 'tens' of seconds, instead of fractions of seconds."

    Thank you for your reply. Upon trying that freeware I come up with
    these items as the ones with the longest duration.

    AudioPCI 64V (WDM) (PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_13711274&REV_09\60F000
    11:31:20 1.33 Initing esdi_506.pdr
    11:31:21 0.28 Init Success esdi_506.pdr
    11:31:22 0.28 Dynamic load success C:\WINDOWS\system\serial.vxd
    11:31:22 1.28 INITCOMPLETE = AVGCORE
    11:31:24 5.17 InitDone = TSRQuery (time estimated)
    11:31:29 9.56 Enumerated Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    (ACPI\*PNP0700\0)
    11:31:39 16.06 Enumerated Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer
    (SW\{B7EAFDC0-A680-11D0-96D8-00AA0051E51D}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD15

    "Also see "Load Failures Listed in the Bootlog.txt File"
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;1279­70"

    The only load that failed was this one.
    11:31:16 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000B640E] File not found

    I'll do what research I can with this. Some items are obvious-AVGCORE
    is my virus scanner. There are a few which will require that I learn
    some things that I don't know now like 000b640E. As I live very far out
    in the country and the local shop charges unfair prices I'm going to do
    everything I can myself.

    ....snip...

    "However, if you suspect that your CD-ROM's *may* be causing problems,
    try
    booting from your WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk, selecting option 2.
    Start
    computer with CD-ROM support. Are there any error reports?"

    Thanks for this suggestion. I thought I couldn't access my floppy disk
    but I found the floppy wasn't seated properly. The messages I got were
    these in this order--

    Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d.
    Device driver not found:'MSCD0001"
    No valid CDROM device drivers selected

    Although, I'm not the most technically adept person around a computer,
    for the reasons listed above I have learned about small things like
    adding cards, memory, swapping out drives and the like. However, if
    there is a way to force WinMe to recognize the CD-R and CD-RW drives
    without opening the box please let me know.

    Thank You

    Rita

    > ... The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed

    Yikes!!

    Rita, your first BIOS screen (the Main one) which shows the System
    Date/Time, Floppy Drive A, etc., should also show e.g. :-

    Primary IDE Master Auto
    Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
    Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM
    Secondary IDE Slave CD-ROM

    N.B.1. Yours may not show the EXACT same settings but please report back
    with whatever yours shows.

    N.B.2. If necessary, use the (down) arrow keys to highlight each of the
    four and on each, press the Return key to force an updated response (e.g if
    the Primary IDE Master reports Auto, then pressing Return should update it
    to Maxtor xxxxx)

    If you (still) don't see any mention of your CD-ROM's then confirm the
    ribbon cables are correctly seated as described earlier. Worst case scenario
    is a failing Mother board IDE controller(s) and/or failing CD-ROM's (Unlike
    BOTH failing at once , but can happen, I suppose)

    For the moment, the boot order BIOS screen is irrelevant.

    BTW - Bed time here in the UK, but some one else should be able to walk you
    through the next steps.

    Good luck

    Mart (NoSpam) wrote:
    > > ... The primary slave and both secondaries are not installed
    >
    > Yikes!!
    >

    > Rita, your first BIOS screen (the Main one) which shows the System
    > Date/Time, Floppy Drive A, etc., should also show e.g. :-
    >
    > Primary IDE Master Auto
    > Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
    > Secondary IDE Master CD-ROM
    > Secondary IDE Slave CD-ROM
    >
    > N.B.1. Yours may not show the EXACT same settings but please report back
    > with whatever yours shows.

    Primary IDE Master Auto
    Primary IDE Slave Not Installed
    Secondary IDE Master Not Installed
    Secondary IDE Slave Not Installed

    > N.B.2. If necessary, use the (down) arrow keys to highlight each of the
    > four and on each, press the Return key to force an updated response (e.g if
    > the Primary IDE Master reports Auto, then pressing Return should update it
    > to Maxtor xxxxx)

    I tried this and it did not update to Maxtor (sigh).

    > If you (still) don't see any mention of your CD-ROM's then confirm the
    > ribbon cables are correctly seated as described earlier. Worst case scenario
    > is a failing Mother board IDE controller(s) and/or failing CD-ROM's (Unlike
    > BOTH failing at once , but can happen, I suppose)

    ....snip...

    Thank you for your time and patience. I realize toward the end this
    became more of a hardware than a WinMe software issue so I appreciate
    your help. It does seem like a failing mobo IDE controller. I switched
    ribbons around and still no joy. I found out that this particular
    manufacturer uses a proprietary power connector for the mobo and power
    supply unit. So, of course either I buy a mobo from them($147.96 US) or
    get one from someone else which means replacing the cpu, memory, case
    and psu. If there was a way I could give you guys some of the money I
    saved from NOT going to the overcharging local repair shop I would.
    Again, Thanks.

    Rita

    Rita wrote :-

    > ...snip...
    >
    > ...... So, of course either I buy a mobo from them($147.96 US) or
    > get one from someone else which means replacing the cpu, memory, case
    > and psu.
    > Again, Thanks.
    >
    > Rita

    Rita, in my opinion - and assuming your finances will stretch, don't even
    consider any further expense on your 'older' WinMe machine (I'm guessing
    it's more than 4 or 5 years old). For that sort of money, plus all the
    extras and inconvenience, you'll still end up with an 'old' system. That
    amount is probably more than half-way towards a brand new XP box - unless
    you NEED top of the range <g>

    Soldier on and save your pennies - you can always retrieve your data (by
    various means) and tranfer stuff to a newer model at your leasure.

    On the assumption that only the second IDE controller is faulty, you *might*
    even get one of your CD-ROM's (the writer!!) to work on the first controller
    along with your hard drive, for the duration.

    Good luck

    Mart

    Ooops..

    My speilchucker missed it for some odd reason. Works this time though!

    leasure = leisure

    Mart

Boot Windows Product