Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Kernel 32 Caused a General Protection Fault and also MSN E..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 29, 2005 11:07:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ME, IE 6, Dell 4100 series. 20 gigabytes hard drive, 256 mb ram.

While on a "Scientific American" website and while SpyDoctor was scanning
for "infections," I received the following message in black on a white
background box: Kernel 32 caused a general protection fault in module
KRNL386.EXE at 0001.000075a8. My puter was frozen and ctrl-alt-del did
nothing, so I had to use the emergency reboot button. I suspect this was
caused by SpyDoctor, but I don't know.

Upon start up, I also receive the following messages: "Internet Explorer
Script Error
Line 20
Char 1
Error object expected
Code 0
url: http://t.msn.com/en-us/default.aspx?ver=7.0.0777&did=1

Do you want to continue running script on this page?"

I click No several times, but the message reappears, sometimes with Line 7
instead of 20. Last time this happened (after the puter loaded), I had to
click 7 times. This appears related to an msn site. Before I was getting
that message, I would receive an MSN newsflash box, together with my hotmail
entries, which I did not want to appear. So, I downloaded "Startup Cop" and
deleted the MSN site (msnmsgr.exe) from appearing at start up. However, in
order to access my hotmail, when I clicked on the little pawn in the
Systray, the site automatically undeleted itself from the startup cop menu.
I can live with that, but now it doesn't appear, but these annoying messages
do.
June 29, 2005 11:07:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Try a system restore

"Someone" wrote:

> ME, IE 6, Dell 4100 series. 20 gigabytes hard drive, 256 mb ram.
>
> While on a "Scientific American" website and while SpyDoctor was scanning
> for "infections," I received the following message in black on a white
> background box: Kernel 32 caused a general protection fault in module
> KRNL386.EXE at 0001.000075a8. My puter was frozen and ctrl-alt-del did
> nothing, so I had to use the emergency reboot button. I suspect this was
> caused by SpyDoctor, but I don't know.
>
> Upon start up, I also receive the following messages: "Internet Explorer
> Script Error
> Line 20
> Char 1
> Error object expected
> Code 0
> url: http://t.msn.com/en-us/default.aspx?ver=7.0.0777&did=1
>
> Do you want to continue running script on this page?"
>
> I click No several times, but the message reappears, sometimes with Line 7
> instead of 20. Last time this happened (after the puter loaded), I had to
> click 7 times. This appears related to an msn site. Before I was getting
> that message, I would receive an MSN newsflash box, together with my hotmail
> entries, which I did not want to appear. So, I downloaded "Startup Cop" and
> deleted the MSN site (msnmsgr.exe) from appearing at start up. However, in
> order to access my hotmail, when I clicked on the little pawn in the
> Systray, the site automatically undeleted itself from the startup cop menu.
> I can live with that, but now it doesn't appear, but these annoying messages
> do.
>
>
>
June 30, 2005 1:01:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No need for SR. I did not get the Kernel 32 error this time after the puter
loaded, but MS got its news flash in. I suspect that the IE errors have
been caused by the MS website. I was just wondering what caused the Kernel
32 error.
"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:92951A44-3956-48AB-8F2F-930882172557@microsoft.com...
> Try a system restore
>
> "Someone" wrote:
>
> > ME, IE 6, Dell 4100 series. 20 gigabytes hard drive, 256 mb ram.
> >
> > While on a "Scientific American" website and while SpyDoctor was
scanning
> > for "infections," I received the following message in black on a white
> > background box: Kernel 32 caused a general protection fault in module
> > KRNL386.EXE at 0001.000075a8. My puter was frozen and ctrl-alt-del did
> > nothing, so I had to use the emergency reboot button. I suspect this
was
> > caused by SpyDoctor, but I don't know.
> >
> > Upon start up, I also receive the following messages: "Internet
Explorer
> > Script Error
> > Line 20
> > Char 1
> > Error object expected
> > Code 0
> > url: http://t.msn.com/en-us/default.aspx?ver=7.0.0777&did=1
> >
> > Do you want to continue running script on this page?"
> >
> > I click No several times, but the message reappears, sometimes with Line
7
> > instead of 20. Last time this happened (after the puter loaded), I had
to
> > click 7 times. This appears related to an msn site. Before I was
getting
> > that message, I would receive an MSN newsflash box, together with my
hotmail
> > entries, which I did not want to appear. So, I downloaded "Startup Cop"
and
> > deleted the MSN site (msnmsgr.exe) from appearing at start up. However,
in
> > order to access my hotmail, when I clicked on the little pawn in the
> > Systray, the site automatically undeleted itself from the startup cop
menu.
> > I can live with that, but now it doesn't appear, but these annoying
messages
> > do.
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

" I was just wondering what caused the Kernel 32 error."

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Someone" <someone@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ehKfB9QfFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> No need for SR. I did not get the Kernel 32 error this time after the
puter
> loaded, but MS got its news flash in. I suspect that the IE errors have
> been caused by the MS website. I was just wondering what caused the
Kernel
> 32 error.

<SNIP>
!