Phantom DVD Drives in Win ME.

Hello All,

I have just done an install of Windows ME on a friends' computer and the DVD
drive appears several times in both Device Manager and Windows Explorer.

The computer has a single HDD which appears as device C:; a CD Re-Writer,
which appears as device D:; and a single DVD-ROM drive which appears as
devices E: to L:. These "Phantom Drives" (F: to L:) are all the DVD-ROM.
The HDD and CD are on IDE-0; the DVD is on IDE-1 Master. Has anyone any
suggestions as to why this might be, and how to rectify the problem?

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-5AA with latest (F7b) BIOS.
Processor is AMD K6-2/550 @ 550 MHz
RAM is 512 MB (2 x 256 sticks) PC100
OS is Windows ME.

--

Regards,

C R Briggs

carobri@despammed.com

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove ALL instances of the
hardware devices in question, reboot and Windows will re-detect everything
and the phantom devices should be gone.

"C R Briggs" <carobri@despammed.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have just done an install of Windows ME on a friends' computer and the
> DVD drive appears several times in both Device Manager and Windows
> Explorer.
>
> The computer has a single HDD which appears as device C:; a CD Re-Writer,
> which appears as device D:; and a single DVD-ROM drive which appears as
> devices E: to L:. These "Phantom Drives" (F: to L:) are all the DVD-ROM.
> The HDD and CD are on IDE-0; the DVD is on IDE-1 Master. Has anyone any
> suggestions as to why this might be, and how to rectify the problem?
>
> Mobo is Gigabyte GA-5AA with latest (F7b) BIOS.
> Processor is AMD K6-2/550 @ 550 MHz
> RAM is 512 MB (2 x 256 sticks) PC100
> OS is Windows ME.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> C R Briggs
>
> carobri@despammed.com

pip22

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

Have you tried this?: Go into Device Manager - highlight each 'phantom
drive' in turn, then choose 'uninstall' or 'remove' for each one. (it
will say one or the other, can't remember cos I have upgraded to xp
now). Then re-boot.

--
pip22

"pip22" <pip22.1rgjoe@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> Have you tried this?: Go into Device Manager - highlight each 'phantom
> drive' in turn, then choose 'uninstall' or 'remove' for each one. (it
> will say one or the other, can't remember cos I have upgraded to xp
> now). Then re-boot.

Yup! Done that (several times) and they re-appear on the next Boot.

--
Regards,

C R Briggs

carobri@despammed.com

OK, so what does your BIOS tell you?

And, whilst you're at it, what do you see in Real Mode DOS - i.e. Booting
from the WinMe (floppy) Disk and selecting option 2. Start computer with
CD-ROM support.

Do you see any 'extra' devices?

BTW - When you "Go into Device Manager - highlight each 'phantom drive' in
turn, then choose 'uninstall' or 'remove' for each one. Then re-boot." Did
you do that in Normal Mode? Try it in Safe Mode.

Mart

> "pip22" <pip22.1rgjoe@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Have you tried this?: Go into Device Manager - highlight each 'phantom
>> drive' in turn, then choose 'uninstall' or 'remove' for each one. (it
>> will say one or the other, can't remember cos I have upgraded to xp
>> now). Then re-boot.
>>

> Yup! Done that (several times) and they re-appear on the next Boot.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> C R Briggs
>
> carobri@despammed.com

You need to go into Safe Mode and remove ALL the CD/DVD drives from there -
and all duplicates of any other IDE devices, also.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj