Optical drive configuration

Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it really
matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both optical
drives as primary isn't an answer.

"Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it really
> matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both optical
> drives as primary isn't an answer.

it shouldn't matter, but make the ROM the master. -Dave

In article <4IrWd.789$ZB6.766@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, Craig Palme
says...
> Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it really
> matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both optical
> drives as primary isn't an answer.

Doesn't matter. Larger caches, faster IDE transfer rates and Burnrite
technology have pretty much made the problem redundant.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it really
> matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both optical
> drives as primary isn't an answer.

Nowadays it really doesn't matter, but old habits die hard, so I always
still make the burner the master.

"Dave C." <noway@nohow.not> wrote in message

> "Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> > primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it
really
> > matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both
optical
> > drives as primary isn't an answer.
> >

> it shouldn't matter, but make the ROM the master. -Dave

That's what I was thinking, but this guy at work who builds computers said I
should make the burner the master. I was figuring that it wouldn't make any
difference and since I already have the rom as the master, why change?

Thanks.

"Conor" <conor@conorturton.com> wrote in message
> In article <4IrWd.789$ZB6.766@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, Craig Palme
> says...
> > Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> > primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it
really
> > matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both
optical
> > drives as primary isn't an answer.
> >
> Doesn't matter. Larger caches, faster IDE transfer rates and Burnrite
> technology have pretty much made the problem redundant.
>

> --
> Conor
>
> An imperfect plan executed violently is far superior to a perfect plan.
> -- George Patton

Craig,

You can keep the DVD-ROM drive in the top. No need to twist IDE cable
around.
Just use the Master jumper on the back of the DVD burner and the slave
jumper on the back of DVD-ROM drive instead of cable select.

HTH

Bill

"Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message

> "Craig Palme" <capalme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Am installing a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. Should the burner be the
> > primary drive on the ide channel and the rom secondary? Or does it
really
> > matter? BTW on the first ide channel I have 2 hard drives so both
optical
> > drives as primary isn't an answer.
>
> Nowadays it really doesn't matter, but old habits die hard, so I always
> still make the burner the master.

Well in my system I planned on having the rom the master and be installed in
the top drive bay. I figured that I would be using the rom drive the most,
doing burning from time to time, and that I would wear out the rom drive
first. Thus having it installed in the top drive bay, it would be easier to
change. Though, I suppose I could twist the ide cable around...