downloading program

I tried to download the poker academy pro program and got a pop up box saying
that I had attempted an illegal operation and advised me to go to start,help
and instructions on operating ms-dos programs. The computer would then crash
and I'd have to reboot. emails to software provider finally suggested I
reinstall windows. I am leery of doing this and would like some advise since
it sounds tricky. I have seen some troubleshooting pages on the website
giving instructions on how to either upgrade to me or uninstall but not on
reinstalling me. I'd be gratefull for any help I can get

Thanks

perplexed
--
prplxd

Haven't got any answers (don't know the program) but not quite sure what you
mean by your question...

Are you saying that you get the pop-up when you attempt to download it (from
the web) or, having downloaded it, the pop-up appears when you try to
INSTALL it or, having installed it, the popup appears when you try to play
it?

Mart

"perplexed again" <prplxd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to download the poker academy pro program and got a pop up box
>saying
> that I had attempted an illegal operation and advised me to go to
> start,help
> and instructions on operating ms-dos programs. The computer would then
> crash
> and I'd have to reboot. emails to software provider finally suggested I
> reinstall windows. I am leery of doing this and would like some advise
> since
> it sounds tricky. I have seen some troubleshooting pages on the website
> giving instructions on how to either upgrade to me or uninstall but not on
> reinstalling me. I'd be gratefull for any help I can get
>
> Thanks
>
> perplexed
> --
> prplxd

Thanks for responding Mart!
The poker academy pro program is an AI program created by the Univ. of
Alberta at Toronto research center to create software for playing games.The
poker academy pro program is considered the best one available. You can
google Univ. of Alberta to find out for yourself. what I mean by my question
is that when I attempt to download the program I get the pop-up box stating I
have attempted an illegal operation before I download it and then my computer
crashes.The suuport people at the down load site said he've never had any
problems with downloading from customers before and something must be wrong
with my windows program.That's why they suggested I reinstall windows.

"Mart" wrote:

> Haven't got any answers (don't know the program) but not quite sure what you
> mean by your question...
>
> Are you saying that you get the pop-up when you attempt to download it (from
> the web) or, having downloaded it, the pop-up appears when you try to
> INSTALL it or, having installed it, the popup appears when you try to play
> it?
>
> Mart
>

> "perplexed again" <prplxd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to download the poker academy pro program and got a pop up box
> >saying
> > that I had attempted an illegal operation and advised me to go to
> > start,help
> > and instructions on operating ms-dos programs. The computer would then
> > crash
> > and I'd have to reboot. emails to software provider finally suggested I
> > reinstall windows. I am leery of doing this and would like some advise
> > since
> > it sounds tricky. I have seen some troubleshooting pages on the website
> > giving instructions on how to either upgrade to me or uninstall but not on
> > reinstalling me. I'd be gratefull for any help I can get
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > perplexed
> > --
> > prplxd

> ... That's why they suggested I reinstall windows.

Mmm.. and they said that with a poker face, I suppose? <g>

Thanks, but no thanks - I don't think I shall bother finding out for myself.
As with most "get-rich-quick" scams, there is usually only one winner. And
it sure ain't me!!

But looking at the Google trawl, there appears to be plenty of other sites
to download it from. Try another site. Chances are, (good choice of phrase
<g>) it's trying to put spamware, malware or other such 'phone-home' stuff
on your machine and maybe your AV or other tools are trying to stop it. Try
reducing your Security level in IE (at your own risk!!) or
re-loading/updating DirectX etc. Can't really help you any further, but good
luck (ouch!!) with it.