Sound problem

I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a Gateway
GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed, I
wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound Properties
under Audio there is no device present and everything is greyed out. I went
under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use Audio Features on this
Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of course in Device Manager it says
"this device is working properly".
I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on back
in and the sound worked fine.
I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified drivers,
uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a different
slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same exact results.
Anyone got any ideas?
I'm going to go Googling now, but I really don't know what to type in!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
4 answers Last reply

    Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in

    > I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a
    > Gateway
    > GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed, I
    > wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
    > SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound
    > Properties under Audio there is no device present and everything is
    > greyed out. I went under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use Audio
    > Features on this Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of course in
    > Device Manager it says "this device is working properly".
    > I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on
    > back
    > in and the sound worked fine.
    > I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified
    > drivers,
    > uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a
    > different slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same
    > exact results. Anyone got any ideas?

    I uninstalled the card, and put in a Crystal 4281 card. I had the correct
    drivers for it and it too installed just fine. But it isn't there in Sound
    Properties, everything is still greyed out, and I still don't have any
    sound!

    --

    > Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a
    >> Gateway
    >> GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed,
    >> I wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
    >> SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound
    >> Properties under Audio there is no device present and everything is
    >> greyed out. I went under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use
    >> Audio Features on this Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of
    >> course in Device Manager it says "this device is working properly".
    >> I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on
    >> back
    >> in and the sound worked fine.
    >> I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified
    >> drivers,
    >> uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a
    >> different slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same
    >> exact results. Anyone got any ideas?
    >
    > I uninstalled the card, and put in a Crystal 4281 card. I had the
    > correct drivers for it and it too installed just fine. But it isn't
    > there in Sound Properties, everything is still greyed out, and I still
    > don't have any sound!

    And now my customer is telling me that she was having the same problem on
    the old computer... the one the hard drive came out of. So that rules out
    anything to do with the Gateway. It HAS to be something in the ME setup.
    I hate to think about reinstalling ME. I've had really bad luck with
    repair installs with this operating systems. I hate to keep adding
    replies to my own thread, but the added info might be helpful to anyone
    who may try to help me.

    --
    --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

    Nope, there's no onboard audio.
    It almost had to be something in the registry. I tried a repair
    installation before I went for the clean one. It still wouldn't work, but
    a repair install leaves a lot of the registry alone.

    --

    Menno wrote :-

    > Nope, there's no onboard audio.

    Well, that sorts that point out <g>

    > It almost had to be something in the registry. I tried a repair
    > installation before I went for the clean one. It still wouldn't work, but
    > a repair install leaves a lot of the registry alone.

    Removing the drivers in Safe Mode using DevMan is "usually" enough to sort
    the registry out - But I wonder if there were some 'common' driver files
    still on the HDD that weren't being removed or overwritten. I've certainly
    had to clear out 'rogue' Blaster related stuff (even some of the xx.inf
    files can hang around) when I've had problems in the past.

    WinMe is not very tolerant of 'older' sound cards <g>

    I had a (top of the range) AWE64 Gold which worked superbly in 98 but was
    never right in WinMe - Creative were not interested in re-writing a 'proper'
    driver for WinMe.

    Good to know you've got your set-up 'fixed'

    Mart

    "Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
    > Nope, there's no onboard audio.
    > It almost had to be something in the registry. I tried a repair
    > installation before I went for the clean one. It still wouldn't work, but
    > a repair install leaves a lot of the registry alone.
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes, Rick - I did consider that (particularly as it was Crystal - a
    >> possible sign of on-board sound) and hence my 'confusion' regarding
    >> exactly which soundcard he is trying to setup. I guess we must await a
    >> response from Menno.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> System BIOS ?
    >>>
    >>> Rick
    >
    > --
    > --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Devices Windows