  • Devices
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 1, 2005 1:29:33 AM

I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a Gateway
GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed, I
wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound Properties
under Audio there is no device present and everything is greyed out. I went
under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use Audio Features on this
Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of course in Device Manager it says
"this device is working properly".
I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on back
in and the sound worked fine.
I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified drivers,
uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a different
slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same exact results.
Anyone got any ideas?
I'm going to go Googling now, but I really don't know what to type in!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

More about : sound problem

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:24:13 AM

Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in

> I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a
> Gateway
> GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed, I
> wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
> SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound
> Properties under Audio there is no device present and everything is
> greyed out. I went under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use Audio
> Features on this Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of course in
> Device Manager it says "this device is working properly".
> I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on
> back
> in and the sound worked fine.
> I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified
> drivers,
> uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a
> different slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same
> exact results. Anyone got any ideas?

I uninstalled the card, and put in a Crystal 4281 card. I had the correct
drivers for it and it too installed just fine. But it isn't there in Sound
Properties, everything is still greyed out, and I still don't have any
sound!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:29:19 AM

> Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in
>
>> I just put a hard drive with ME already installed on it in a
>> Gateway
>> GP7-500. After several reboots to let the drivers all get installed,
>> I wound up with a clean device manager. The sound card is Creative
>> SoundBlaster Audio PCI (WDM). But no sound. If I go into Sound
>> Properties under Audio there is no device present and everything is
>> greyed out. I went under the Devices tab and confirmed that "Use
>> Audio Features on this Device" was chosen. But still no joy. Of
>> course in Device Manager it says "this device is working properly".
>> I might point out that I put the original drive with Windows 98 on
>> back
>> in and the sound worked fine.
>> I also went to the Gateway site and downloaded the specified
>> drivers,
>> uninstalled the card (drivers AND physically), put it back in a
>> different slot and reinstalled it with the drivers from Gateway. Same
>> exact results. Anyone got any ideas?
>
> I uninstalled the card, and put in a Crystal 4281 card. I had the
> correct drivers for it and it too installed just fine. But it isn't
> there in Sound Properties, everything is still greyed out, and I still
> don't have any sound!

And now my customer is telling me that she was having the same problem on
the old computer... the one the hard drive came out of. So that rules out
anything to do with the Gateway. It HAS to be something in the ME setup.
I hate to think about reinstalling ME. I've had really bad luck with
repair installs with this operating systems. I hate to keep adding
replies to my own thread, but the added info might be helpful to anyone
who may try to help me.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
July 2, 2005 12:49:34 AM

Nope, there's no onboard audio.
It almost had to be something in the registry. I tried a repair
installation before I went for the clean one. It still wouldn't work, but
a repair install leaves a lot of the registry alone.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:52:11 PM

Menno wrote :-

> Nope, there's no onboard audio.

Well, that sorts that point out <g>

> It almost had to be something in the registry. I tried a repair
> installation before I went for the clean one. It still wouldn't work, but
> a repair install leaves a lot of the registry alone.

Removing the drivers in Safe Mode using DevMan is "usually" enough to sort
the registry out - But I wonder if there were some 'common' driver files
still on the HDD that weren't being removed or overwritten. I've certainly
had to clear out 'rogue' Blaster related stuff (even some of the xx.inf
files can hang around) when I've had problems in the past.

WinMe is not very tolerant of 'older' sound cards <g>

I had a (top of the range) AWE64 Gold which worked superbly in 98 but was
never right in WinMe - Creative were not interested in re-writing a 'proper'
driver for WinMe.

Good to know you've got your set-up 'fixed'

Mart

!