Program Transfer

Morning!

I need some help again. I've recently purchased a new computer to replace
an ailing one. I've copied over the files that I want from the old hard drive
to the new one-no problems there.

Here's my current problem: How do I/can I take a program that was installed
on the hard drive when I purchased the old computer and install it on the new
hard drive? I've got the old hard drive and I know how to hook it up to the
new computer, but I'm not sure how to get the program transfered and
installed on the new drive.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Unless the program you want to transfer is trivial you won't be able to
move it to your new computer by just copying over a few files but instead
need to install it on the new PC using the same media that you used when
installing it on your old PC. The reason being that the installer will
place the necessary files in the correct location and at the same time add
the necessary entries to the registry to enable the application to
function as intended.

What is the program/application? Knowing this might result in a somewhat
more helpful answer from someone who may have already done what you want
to do.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Really Frustrated!!! <ReallyFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Morning!
>
> I need some help again. I've recently purchased a new computer to
> replace an ailing one. I've copied over the files that I want from
> the old hard drive to the new one-no problems there.
>
> Here's my current problem: How do I/can I take a program that was
> installed on the hard drive when I purchased the old computer and
> install it on the new hard drive? I've got the old hard drive and I
> know how to hook it up to the new computer, but I'm not sure how to
> get the program transfered and installed on the new drive.
>
> Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

Mike,

The program was installed before I got the computer. It is a program for
getting the pics off of my HP digital camera. I liked the way this program
worked and I'd like to continue to use it on my new computer.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Unless the program you want to transfer is trivial you won't be able to
> move it to your new computer by just copying over a few files but instead
> need to install it on the new PC using the same media that you used when
> installing it on your old PC. The reason being that the installer will
> place the necessary files in the correct location and at the same time add
> the necessary entries to the registry to enable the application to
> function as intended.
>
> What is the program/application? Knowing this might result in a somewhat
> more helpful answer from someone who may have already done what you want
> to do.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Really Frustrated!!! <ReallyFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Morning!
> >
> > I need some help again. I've recently purchased a new computer to
> > replace an ailing one. I've copied over the files that I want from
> > the old hard drive to the new one-no problems there.
> >
> > Here's my current problem: How do I/can I take a program that was
> > installed on the hard drive when I purchased the old computer and
> > install it on the new hard drive? I've got the old hard drive and I
> > know how to hook it up to the new computer, but I'm not sure how to
> > get the program transfered and installed on the new drive.
> >
> > Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks!

Check the disks that came with the PC, you might just strike lucky.
Alternatively, if you haven't already done so, have a look around the HP
site and see if the program is available for download.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Really Frustrated!!! <ReallyFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> The program was installed before I got the computer. It is a program
> for getting the pics off of my HP digital camera. I liked the way
> this program worked and I'd like to continue to use it on my new
> computer.

Thanks for the ideas, but I've tried both-no dice finding the disc and ditto
on HP. I've toyed with the idea of asking HP to send me an install disc, but
I wanted to try to find a way to do it myself first.