motherboard recommendations

my pc failed recently, so the culprit has been traced to the mobo and/or
the cpu.

anyone reccomend a good motherboard for the intel pentium-3 1 ghz.

it would have to be the 370 type mobo, as I can check to see if the 370-cpu
is still good. the mobo has to be able to support sdram.

ASUS has done me good on [3] builds... Just my opinion...

******************************
http://www.dubyareport.net/
http://www.frozenpsi.net/
******************************

dilbert firestorm wrote:

> my pc failed recently, so the culprit has been traced to the mobo and/or
> the cpu.
>
> anyone reccomend a good motherboard for the intel pentium-3 1 ghz.
>
> it would have to be the 370 type mobo, as I can check to see if the
> 370-cpu
> is still good. the mobo has to be able to support sdram.

Socket 370? Why bother? Who cares if the CPU is bad or not? Replace them
both and be done with it. While you're at it, you'll need new memory too.

Intel killed off the Socket 370. You can still find a Socket 370, but
honestly, for the same money, I could buy a Socket 478 based board, or even
better, for about $10 more, a Socket 754 Athlon 64 board. With a little
more investment for a stick of memory and a new CPU, you'd have a modern
system.

Here's some links to Socket 370 boards:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=011409
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0

Of these boards available, I'd stick with either the Tyan or DFI.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Ruel Smith" <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> dilbert firestorm wrote:
>
>> my pc failed recently, so the culprit has been traced to the mobo and/or
>> the cpu.
>>
>> anyone reccomend a good motherboard for the intel pentium-3 1 ghz.
>>
>> it would have to be the 370 type mobo, as I can check to see if the
>> 370-cpu
>> is still good. the mobo has to be able to support sdram.
>
> Socket 370? Why bother? Who cares if the CPU is bad or not? Replace them
> both and be done with it. While you're at it, you'll need new memory too.
>
> Intel killed off the Socket 370. You can still find a Socket 370, but
> honestly, for the same money, I could buy a Socket 478 based board, or
> even
> better, for about $10 more, a Socket 754 Athlon 64 board. With a little
> more investment for a stick of memory and a new CPU, you'd have a modern
> system.

Heck, I just built a 1.7-GHz Pentium 4 system for my brother-in-law using a
new AOpen AX4BS-V. The board uses SDRAM, so the OP won't even have to buy
more different memory. I paid something like $17 for the board (new in box)
at a computer show.