Ping Mike M

Mike
This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought help
3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I did as
per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.

3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
dates;
June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
June 14 - Windows update.

As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.

I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once in a
while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and ask
for your opinion.
3 answers Last reply
More about ping mike

    Although I believe unrelated if you are seeing 891711 when you hit
    Ctrl-Alt-Del then you are still running v1 of this patch which caused so
    many users problems and I would advise you to go to the Windows Update
    site and get the updated version of the patch.

    System Restore. It look as if your system restore archive is well and
    truly fubarred. Do you by any chance have Symantec LiveUpdate installed
    as this is one known cause of the problem you are seeing.

    Alternatively the problem is caused by some other background application
    you have running that stops the state manager from doing its job which
    includes a) making automatic system checkpoints, b) periodically analysing
    the content of the _RESTORE\TEMP folder and discarding the files not
    needed if you were to roll back your system and to cab the others to
    FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\TEMP folder, and, finally c) maintaining the
    size of the _RESTORE archive within the limits you have set by discarding
    older checkpoints (RG*.CAB files) and file archive (FS*.CAB files).
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

    > Mike
    > This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought help
    > 3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
    > advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I did as
    > per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.
    >
    > 3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
    > encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
    > dates;
    > June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
    > June 14 - Windows update.
    >
    > As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
    > PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.
    >
    > I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once in a
    > while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and ask
    > for your opinion.

    Mike.

    No, have never used Symantec Live Update. Don't have Norton installed
    .. With regards to KB 891711, a visit to the update site doesn't reveal
    a requirement to install the revised patch. However, I may try
    uninstalling 891711 and returning to the update site, just in case
    this is the culprit.

    Thanks

    Dan

    > Although I believe unrelated if you are seeing 891711 when you hit
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del then you are still running v1 of this patch which
    caused so
    > many users problems and I would advise you to go to the Windows
    Update
    > site and get the updated version of the patch.
    >
    > System Restore. It look as if your system restore archive is well
    and
    > truly fubarred. Do you by any chance have Symantec LiveUpdate
    installed
    > as this is one known cause of the problem you are seeing.
    >
    > Alternatively the problem is caused by some other background
    application
    > you have running that stops the state manager from doing its job
    which
    > includes a) making automatic system checkpoints, b) periodically
    analysing
    > the content of the _RESTORE\TEMP folder and discarding the files not
    > needed if you were to roll back your system and to cab the others to
    > FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\TEMP folder, and, finally c)
    maintaining the
    > size of the _RESTORE archive within the limits you have set by
    discarding
    > older checkpoints (RG*.CAB files) and file archive (FS*.CAB files).
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Mike
    > > This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought
    help
    > > 3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
    > > advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I
    did as
    > > per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.
    > >
    > > 3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
    > > encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
    > > dates;
    > > June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
    > > June 14 - Windows update.
    > >
    > > As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
    > > PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.
    > >
    > > I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once
    in a
    > > while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and
    ask
    > > for your opinion.

    Dan,

    891711 of either version is not the cause of your problems with system
    restore but instead that problem is caused by some other application that
    you have installed and have running continuously in the background which
    results in the state manager falling down on the job because it is mislead
    into "believing" that the system is never idle.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

    > No, have never used Symantec Live Update. Don't have Norton installed
    > . With regards to KB 891711, a visit to the update site doesn't reveal
    > a requirement to install the revised patch. However, I may try
    > uninstalling 891711 and returning to the update site, just in case
    > this is the culprit.

Windows Update Microsoft Windows