Ping Mike M

Mike
This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought help
3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I did as
per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.

3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
dates;
June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
June 14 - Windows update.

As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.

I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once in a
while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and ask
for your opinion.

Although I believe unrelated if you are seeing 891711 when you hit
Ctrl-Alt-Del then you are still running v1 of this patch which caused so
many users problems and I would advise you to go to the Windows Update
site and get the updated version of the patch.

System Restore. It look as if your system restore archive is well and
truly fubarred. Do you by any chance have Symantec LiveUpdate installed
as this is one known cause of the problem you are seeing.

Alternatively the problem is caused by some other background application
you have running that stops the state manager from doing its job which
includes a) making automatic system checkpoints, b) periodically analysing
the content of the _RESTORE\TEMP folder and discarding the files not
needed if you were to roll back your system and to cab the others to
FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\TEMP folder, and, finally c) maintaining the
size of the _RESTORE archive within the limits you have set by discarding
older checkpoints (RG*.CAB files) and file archive (FS*.CAB files).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Mike
> This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought help
> 3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
> advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I did as
> per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.
>
> 3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
> encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
> dates;
> June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
> June 14 - Windows update.
>
> As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
> PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.
>
> I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once in a
> while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and ask
> for your opinion.

Mike.

No, have never used Symantec Live Update. Don't have Norton installed
.. With regards to KB 891711, a visit to the update site doesn't reveal
a requirement to install the revised patch. However, I may try
uninstalling 891711 and returning to the update site, just in case
this is the culprit.

Thanks

Dan

> Although I believe unrelated if you are seeing 891711 when you hit
> Ctrl-Alt-Del then you are still running v1 of this patch which
caused so
> many users problems and I would advise you to go to the Windows
Update
> site and get the updated version of the patch.
>
> System Restore. It look as if your system restore archive is well
and
> truly fubarred. Do you by any chance have Symantec LiveUpdate
installed
> as this is one known cause of the problem you are seeing.
>
> Alternatively the problem is caused by some other background
application
> you have running that stops the state manager from doing its job
which
> includes a) making automatic system checkpoints, b) periodically
analysing
> the content of the _RESTORE\TEMP folder and discarding the files not
> needed if you were to roll back your system and to cab the others to
> FS*.CAB files in the _RESTORE\TEMP folder, and, finally c)
maintaining the
> size of the _RESTORE archive within the limits you have set by
discarding
> older checkpoints (RG*.CAB files) and file archive (FS*.CAB files).
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike
> > This is a follow-up to a problem with SR. As background I sought
help
> > 3 weeks ago because although set at ~300 MB, SR was at 1.7 GB. You
> > advised to blow away the entire archive and start over, which I
did as
> > per your detailed instructions on June 6, 2005.
> >
> > 3 weeks later and although set at 383 MB, SR is now up to 853 MB,
> > encompassing 2067 files, 5 folders. It only indicates two restore
> > dates;
> > June 6 - Restore operation, Manual checkpoint, System checkpoint
> > June 14 - Windows update.
> >
> > As a separate issue, I note that KB891711 is still listed in CLOSE
> > PROGRAM. I assume it's not related but thought I should disclose.
> >
> > I don't mind blowing away the entire archive manually every once
in a
> > while if this can't be fixed but thought I should come back and
ask
> > for your opinion.

Dan,

891711 of either version is not the cause of your problems with system
restore but instead that problem is caused by some other application that
you have installed and have running continuously in the background which
results in the state manager falling down on the job because it is mislead
into "believing" that the system is never idle.